Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:46 am Last visit was: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:46 am

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

h2005

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:56 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 03/01 Lucie
Administrator & Global Moderator

Warnings: 0
Box 20 with Grace contains the £250

Lucie says they can now get a place of their own.

h2005

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:56 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 03/01 Lucie

h2005 wrote:
Noel says Lucie's the first player to take a deal when they don't know what the offer is.

Noel Edmonds!!!

viewtopic.php?p=524868#p524868

7th Jan 2009 doesn't exist in his memory. ;)

Oni-91

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:57 pm    Author: Oni-91    Post subject: Re: 03/01 Lucie

Only just turned it on. Verrry nice new graphics.

RMF1254

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:58 pm    Author: RMF1254    Post subject: Re: 03/01 Lucie

Thought she'd have the £35k TBH.

I suppose Noel was right in the end about Lucie winning big... but that was definitely one of the most bizarre games of all time.

Not one of the most enjoyable for me, though... :x

I notice that the show's now credited to Remarkable Television.

KP

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:02 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 03/01 Lucie
International Forums Moderator

That game proves that if there's one thing the UK version does well, it's the soap-opera element.

Personally I think that she should have gone on based on the £20k given that she turned down the £17k, although £25k would have been a definite Deal unless the all-or-peanuts offer really would have been that generous (which I doubt). So she made the wrong decision, which turned into the right decision, because of the wrong decision made by her partner. Riight.

I just hope we don't get this sort of plot twist every game now we've got 65 minutes to fill. But as a one-off? Fantastic. Most compelling TV of this young year, and I don't see too much bettering it. I also remembered Kate when Noel said what he did about the unknown offer being accepted! I think this was more neatly executed, though.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Simon F

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:05 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 03/01 Lucie

h2005 wrote:
h2005 wrote:
Noel says Lucie's the first player to take a deal when they don't know what the offer is.

Noel Edmonds!!!

Well remembered sir.

Another reminder that sometimes friends and family getting involved with the game can sometimes not be a good idea although this time it did (I get the feeling that she would have taken £15k had she no-dealt at 5-box).

A banker win but of the margin where it doesn't hurt too much.

h2005

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:05 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 03/01 Lucie

RMF1254 wrote:
I notice that the show's now credited to Remarkable Television.

I think it's been like that for a while. :ponder: The branch of Endemol that produces the show seems to change its name about once a year.

killersbee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:06 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 03/01 Lucie

And we get a TBW after so much faffing about...I would've just got on with it!

KP

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:09 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 03/01 Lucie

Well an OBW, but not even Noel spent more than a couple of seconds pretending that selling the £35k for £25k would be a big disappointment.

In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Michael DeVere

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:35 pm    Author: Michael DeVere    Post subject: Re: 03/01 Lucie

Well that was certainly an interesting game with The Banker introducing a Big Brother style of secret task to the proceedings by getting a family member to directly try and influence the result. In this case by getting the player to deal, but with the reward of extra money, though unbeknownst to the actual player.

In this case it worked well and it made an interesting twist to the show. It was also interesting to see how Nicol (her partner) reacted to the situation and how she would convince (or not) Lucie to deal without it becoming too obvious.

Of course now The Banker has done this once people are going to become wary of such tactics from now on and so it can't be overused or it will become pointless. However, I guess it's possible that The Banker could actually do the reverse of today's situation and instead of offering more money for a player to deal he could actually offer less than what he states and it's up to a family member to try and persuade the player to no deal instead, but i'm not sure what the reaction would be to something like that. So it does offer up some extra possibilities for The Banker to play even more mind games.

On another note I liked the fact that they actually showed some subtitles for what The Banker was saying and I would actually like to see this become a permanent feature for all his phone calls. Regardless of whether they're actually important to the overall game.

travis P

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:49 pm    Author: travis P    Post subject: Re: 03/01 Lucie

h2005 wrote:
h2005 wrote:

Noel Edmonds!!!

I think someone on here suggested the show would benefit from having a statto. I suppose if Richard Osman was still producer on the show (than leaving for bigger things at Endemol HQ) then Noel would be reminded.

KP

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:05 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 03/01 Lucie

That was Simon. I'd definitely love that job, though I think Mister Al would be first pick :)

Simon F

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:02 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 03/01 Lucie

KP wrote:
That was Simon. I'd definitely love that job, though I think Mister Al would be first pick :)

I think a Statto would probably alienate the casual viewer even more though, to be honest, and seeing as the show is unscripted, I can't see how it would work. We don't want Noel being contradicted all the time, would we? :smt046

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:26 am    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject: Re: 03/01 Lucie

Fantastic game. Lucie was an interesting player, though for a psychologist she seemed a bit scatterbrained at times :D

I especailly love it when the Banker plays mind games and this one was certainly different. The subtitles were a nice touch, allowing the viewers to be privvy to the Banker's secret liaison with Nicole.

There seemed to be a lot more Banter flying about during todays game than yesterdays as well. And a bit of romance on the wings, haven't had one of those for a while

norwichdonder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:34 am    Author: norwichdonder    Post subject: Re: 03/01 Lucie

mike wrote:
On another note I liked the fact that they actually showed some subtitles for what The Banker was saying and I would actually like to see this become a permanent feature for all his phone calls. Regardless of whether they're actually important to the overall game.

Agreed and I think that was another 'first'. Up to now I think we've only had third hand info via Noel or a player(or family member!) or the cackle played through Noels mic. It was interesting.

beaker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:31 pm    Author: beaker    Post subject: Re: 03/01 Lucie

Enjoyed the game, just watched it on Sky+. Does anyone have any idea how Lucie got into those trousers!!!

Jules101

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:07 pm    Author: Jules101    Post subject: Re: 03/01 Lucie

Oil :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: and a lot of help ;) just a joke they stretch x

BoxClever

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:39 pm    Author: BoxClever    Post subject: Re: 03/01 Lucie

I thought that the “Banker secretly negotiates with the player’s partner” twist was OK, but for me there were two things about it which niggled:

(1) It took the focus off Lucie (and put it onto her partner Nicol) at the climax of Lucie’s game, which had been built up throughout the show as the battle of the two psychologists (Lucie vs. the Banker) but ultimately, because of this twist, wasn’t about that battle at all.

(2) It seemed pretty obvious to me (perhaps I’m wrong?) that Noel was in on the twist, and therefore it fell a bit flat when he tried to make out that he was in the dark along with everyone else. If he wasn’t in on it, then why, after Lucie had dealt, did he say to Nicol something to the effect of “It’s alright – you’re in the clear now; you don’t need to wait for the Banker to ring to tell us what’s been going on”? And if he wasn’t in on it, then why did he deliberately seem to avoid asking Nicol what the Banker kept saying each time he rang and spoke to her? Usually Noel is desperate for anyone who speaks to the Banker to repeat back every word, but in this game he was so mute after each of the Banker’s calls that at one point it was left to a bemused Lucie to turn to an equally mute Nicol and ask “Well…?”

h2005

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:48 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 03/01 Lucie

BoxClever wrote:
(2) It seemed pretty obvious to me (perhaps I’m wrong?) that Noel was in on the twist, and therefore it fell a bit flat when he tried to make out that he was in the dark along with everyone else. If he wasn’t in on it, then why, after Lucie had dealt, did he say to Nicol something to the effect of “It’s alright – you’re in the clear now; you don’t need to wait for the Banker to ring to tell us what’s been going on”? And if he wasn’t in on it, then why did he deliberately seem to avoid asking Nicol what the Banker kept saying each time he rang and spoke to her? Usually Noel is desperate for anyone who speaks to the Banker to repeat back every word, but in this game he was so mute after each of the Banker’s calls that at one point it was left to a bemused Lucie to turn to an equally mute Nicol and ask “Well…?”

I remember thinking exactly the same things about Noel. I'm fairly certain he was in on it, due to the reasons you stated. Although I suppose it's possible that, rather than the producers telling Noel exactly what was going on through his earpiece, they may have just told him not to ask Nicol what happened on the phone.

And actually, while we're dissing poor Noely, when he said "You're the first player to take an offer where you didn't know what the offer was", he was wrong as it's happened before (as previously mentioned in this thread), but he was also wrong because Lucie did know what the offer was (well, she thought she did). Unless I've totally misunderstood the whole thing, in which case Noel (or anyone else) should correct me.

[ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]