Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:51 am Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:51 am

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Simon F

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:51 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 28/12 Detrix - Scrooge or Santa - Christmas Specials

Warnings: 0
£16k is a no-brainer of a deal.

killersbee

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:51 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 28/12 Detrix - Scrooge or Santa - Christmas Specials

Well, talk about bravery

h2005

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:52 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 28/12 Detrix - Scrooge or Santa - Christmas Specials
Administrator & Global Moderator

The others tell Detrix that dropping from £16,000 to £500 would be a big drop, if it went wrong. Haroon says no-one's going to give Detrix £16,000 in the street.

Detrix says

DEAL

h2005

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:52 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 28/12 Detrix - Scrooge or Santa - Christmas Specials

Detrix has £500 in his box 4

h2005

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:53 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 28/12 Detrix - Scrooge or Santa - Christmas Specials

Box 15 with Haroon contains the £35,000

Noel doubts Detrix's ambition to be a professional gambler!

Simon F

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:55 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 28/12 Detrix - Scrooge or Santa - Christmas Specials

killersbee wrote:
Well, talk about bravery

Brave but not a over-reckless gamble and if I'd have known the 2-box offer was going to be £16k, I'd have no-dealt the £8k at 3-box.

Definitely an OPW today and no silly gamble at the end too.

killersbee

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:59 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 28/12 Detrix - Scrooge or Santa - Christmas Specials

And for the second time this week, the player escapes with an OPW! :-)

£16,000 to £500 does make it a £15,500 drop, but on the flip side, going from £16,000 to £35,000 is indeed a £19,000 gain.

This may sound daft but I suggest that the deal came from knowing that, if the offer been £3,500 lower (£19,000 - £15,500 = £3,500), the average player would've taken the gamble...and crashed

Of course, I may just be talking a lot of confusion :oops:

James1978

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:02 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 28/12 Detrix - Scrooge or Santa - Christmas Specials

Phew! Thought that really was going to be the polar opposite of yesterday as it looked like a total crash from a mid-game position of strength was on the cards, thankfully he managed to miss the £35k, and thankfully he took some calculated risks but didn't gamble very close to the mean at the end - that would have been reckless rather than a professional! :)

Does the west wing look like it's got far too many women on it at the moment? It may just be the trio at the end next to the board making it look that way though.

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

Simon F

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:08 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 28/12 Detrix - Scrooge or Santa - Christmas Specials

killersbee wrote:
And for the second time this week, the player escapes with an OPW! :-)

£16,000 to £500 does make it a £15,500 drop, but on the flip side, going from £16,000 to £35,000 is indeed a £19,000 gain.

This may sound daft but I suggest that the deal came from knowing that, if the offer been £3,500 lower (£19,000 - £15,500 = £3,500), the average player would've taken the gamble...and crashed

Of course, I may just be talking a lot of confusion :oops:

You're right. Those calculations don't make much sense. £500 wasn't enough a consolation prize to risk something that was close enough to average. The equivalent generosity on a QM/blue finish would have been an offer over £110k.

StatsMan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:06 pm    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: 28/12 Detrix - Scrooge or Santa - Christmas Specials

Simon F wrote:
killersbee wrote:
Well, talk about bravery

Brave but not a over-reckless gamble and if I'd have known the 2-box offer was going to be £16k, I'd have no-dealt the £8k at 3-box.

Well, it's funny you should say that because there was an important element to this game not included:

The decision took a fair while, and Detrix was convincing himself that Haroon had £35k as it was 'fate they had met' or something, but the banker did not guarantee that there would be a swap if he gambled. However, he would let Detrix choose one of the 3 gift boxes, and if he chose the "WIN", the banker would give the swap. As he didn't, he decided to Deal, but I think if he had there was a fairly strong possibility he would've gone for it and won the £35k! :shock:

I cannot tell you how anxious I was getting in the audience at the thought of him turning down an offer close to the mean and then swapping to boot! :shock: So, they basically spun that in the edit quite differently to how it actually panned out, interesting...

Biggest Pilgrim Game Wins:

Marlene - 21 July 2013: £118,000
Gill - 23 March 2014: £75,000
Tony - 24 April 2012: £72,000
Lee - 4 April 2013: £48,000
Tommy & Jen - 26 & 27 Mar 2013 :O - £45,000! :O :O

norwichdonder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:12 pm    Author: norwichdonder    Post subject: Re: 28/12 Detrix - Scrooge or Santa - Christmas Specials

Simon F wrote:
You're right. Those calculations don't make much sense. £500 wasn't enough a consolation prize to risk something that was close enough to average.

In Alices game and she was gambling 1p vs £250k and we all know how that ended up. Okay I guess the stakes were lower in this game, but think Noel was right when he said he should forget the gambling.

It was a great game and just goes to show even if a player eliminates blues early on and gets high offers, they will no deal and then get cut off at the knees when the inevitable culling of big reds starts. This was very true when you consider the end of the game was exactly the same as the day before, but Brian took the reverse route to get there :-D

Detrix seemed a pleasant chap but you see Noel was struggling in this relatively emotionless game as Detrix played out his poker face routine.

RMF1254

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:31 pm    Author: RMF1254    Post subject: Re: 28/12 Detrix - Scrooge or Santa - Christmas Specials

h2005 wrote:
Detrix chooses the YELLOW snowman and it has SANTA :D

The RED snowman also contains the SANTA

The GREEN snowman contains the SCROOGE

Again, I'm probably going to sound like a Grumpy Old Man here...

I'll say it again - you'd think the producers really want offers after every box in the final round if they can give the players a two-in-three chance of this.

When was the last time they listened to the Rolling Stones' "You Can't Always Get What You Want"?

Simon F

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:02 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 28/12 Detrix - Scrooge or Santa - Christmas Specials

norwichdonder wrote:
Simon F wrote:
You're right. Those calculations don't make much sense. £500 wasn't enough a consolation prize to risk something that was close enough to average.

In Alices game and she was gambling 1p vs £250k and we all know how that ended up. Okay I guess the stakes were lower in this game, but think Noel was right when he said he should forget the gambling.

You can't really compared Alice's gamble to today's. Alice was getting about 14 to 1 on her gamble whereas Detrix was getting just over even money.

Simon F

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:04 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 28/12 Detrix - Scrooge or Santa - Christmas Specials

StatsMan wrote:
Simon F wrote:
killersbee wrote:
Well, talk about bravery

Well, it's funny you should say that because there was an important element to this game not included:

The decision took a fair while, and Detrix was convincing himself that Haroon had £35k as it was 'fate they had met' or something, but the banker did not guarantee that there would be a swap if he gambled. However, he would let Detrix choose one of the 3 gift boxes, and if he chose the "WIN", the banker would give the swap. As he didn't, he decided to Deal, but I think if he had there was a fairly strong possibility he would've gone for it and won the £35k! :shock:

I cannot tell you how anxious I was getting in the audience at the thought of him turning down an offer close to the mean and then swapping to boot! :shock: So, they basically spun that in the edit quite differently to how it actually panned out, interesting...

Thanks for that. I suppose we should be grateful it was just a regular 45 minute game today then. We've had enough twists this week I think.

Jules101

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:13 pm    Author: Jules101    Post subject: Re: 28/12 Detrix - Scrooge or Santa - Christmas Specials

norwichdonder wrote:

Detrix seemed a pleasant chap but you see Noel was struggling in this relatively emotionless game as Detrix played out his poker face routine.

Thing is as Simon F has pointed out the game was edited to make it almost a very different game than the fulll one played.
I believe Noel was getting fed up as these christmas specials were long days and not because he was struggling. Some of the games took almost 3 hours to record.
The game was full of emotion, as have been many, but how deal sometimes portray a person is not always how they are.
Myself i looked like a miserable person for my first 7/8 games ;)

Brick

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:35 pm    Author: Brick    Post subject: Re: 28/12 Detrix - Scrooge or Santa - Christmas Specials

That must be one of the most generous offers on a 35k/blue finish since Okiem!

Great result for Detrix, to be honest even if the 35k had been in his box it would've been hard to begrudge the deal.

norwichdonder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:07 pm    Author: norwichdonder    Post subject: Re: 28/12 Detrix - Scrooge or Santa - Christmas Specials

Jules101 wrote:
I believe Noel was getting fed up as these christmas specials were long days and not because he was struggling. Some of the games took almost 3 hours to record.

Really? I am amazed at that. I don't think I could stand up for that long for one game let alone 20 or so. No wonder some of the more elderly players have high chairs. Is there really that much stuff recorded. Each box must take an eternity to play and it must make a game a cricket seem like 100m sprint. :bluelol

StatsMan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:37 pm    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: 28/12 Detrix - Scrooge or Santa - Christmas Specials

There was a lot more emotion in that final decision, that's for sure - it was real edge-of-the-seat stuff!

Biggest Pilgrim Game Wins:

Marlene - 21 July 2013: £118,000
Gill - 23 March 2014: £75,000
Tony - 24 April 2012: £72,000
Lee - 4 April 2013: £48,000
Tommy & Jen - 26 & 27 Mar 2013 :O - £45,000! :O :O

Simon F

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:50 am    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 28/12 Detrix - Scrooge or Santa - Christmas Specials

norwichdonder wrote:
Jules101 wrote:

Really? I am amazed at that. I don't think I could stand up for that long for one game let alone 20 or so. No wonder some of the more elderly players have high chairs. Is there really that much stuff recorded. Each box must take an eternity to play and it must make a game a cricket seem like 100m sprint. :bluelol

Some games can take a long time to record but that's because some decisions are difficult to make for the player. Watching them on TV make the decision in real time wouldn't make good TV but it can make for some tense viewing in the studio.

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:57 am    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject: Re: 28/12 Detrix - Scrooge or Santa - Christmas Specials

Nice swerve by Detrix there. thought he was destined to go to the end regardless, but he got out at the perfect moment.

Two OPWs in a row and they couldn't be more different

[ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]