Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:22 am Last visit was: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:22 am

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:14 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 27/12 Brian - Scrooge or Santa - Christmas Specials

Warnings: 0
Yep, I'm pretty happy with that final gamble! Especially when it paid off!

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

James1978

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:53 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 27/12 Brian - Scrooge or Santa - Christmas Specials

Enjoyed that, I liked Brian, he took all the early disasters very philosophically on the chin and remained positive, and luckily he kept something to work with for the twist at 5-box. I thought he was going to no-deal at 3-box, as he seemed happy to take the consequences of it going wrong, but I sensed it was time to stop and so it proved. To get £8k out of what looked like a full-scale disaster was a nice feel-ggod ending without being contrived - even the little gamble for the holiday was good as it was for small stakes.

I always dread the banker's phone calls when all the main boxes are opened but there are still unopened "props" and I was relieved when the gamble was what it was - I thought it might be £25k or nothing for example, and if he refused it they would still play it out (which ruined Kath's feelgood ending at Easter when she got £10k after a big struggle).

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

matthew17

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:07 pm    Author: matthew17    Post subject: Re: 27/12 Brian - Scrooge or Santa - Christmas Specials

Woohoo, a Banker Spanking! :-D
well done to Brian on his winnings and his holiday, enjoy it all :-)

Jules101

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:57 pm    Author: Jules101    Post subject: Re: 27/12 Brian - Scrooge or Santa - Christmas Specials

Brian did not get back the £250 he gambled, he won the £8.000 and his holiday.
He was very good at guessing when the right time would be for a player to leave the game, or indeed play on.
I am pleased he followed his instincts and did not allow himself to get carried away.
A great guy, mad as a hatter but great fun to know.
Well done Bri xxx

Simon F

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:07 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 27/12 Brian - Scrooge or Santa - Christmas Specials

Jules101 wrote:
Brian did not get back the £250 he gambled, he won the £8.000 and his holiday.
He was very good at guessing when the right time would be for a player to leave the game, or indeed play on.
I am pleased he followed his instincts and did not allow himself to get carried away.
A great guy, mad as a hatter but great fun to know.
Well done Bri xxx

So given we don't count holidays as prize money, it wasn't technically a banker spanking then.

Brick

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:44 pm    Author: Brick    Post subject: Re: 27/12 Brian - Scrooge or Santa - Christmas Specials

Whether you count it as a "spanking" or not, £8k from a game like that is a great result. It sounds like a more extreme version of Bryan's game from Halloween...something in the name perhaps?

Jules101

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:59 pm    Author: Jules101    Post subject: Re: 27/12 Brian - Scrooge or Santa - Christmas Specials

Brick wrote:
Whether you count it as a "spanking" or not, £8k from a game like that is a great result.

Agreed. ;)

Brian kept his cool with a very long run of bad luck and still managed to get the most out of his game.
We were all gutted for him as his game unfolded and it just seemed to go from bad to worse. There are not many who could have a board like his and still come across so well.

A spanking or not he did brill. :-D

RMF1254

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:09 pm    Author: RMF1254    Post subject: Re: 27/12 Brian - Scrooge or Santa - Christmas Specials

h2005 wrote:
David says this is the most difficult offer of the game, but he thinks Brian will go on and win £35,000.

I do apologise if I'm being any bit cruel here - but I can't help but wonder how quickly David regretted saying that?

Jules101

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:23 pm    Author: Jules101    Post subject: Re: 27/12 Brian - Scrooge or Santa - Christmas Specials

Thats why i piped in with the follow your instincts comment after David said that.
He thought he knew Bri but as my neighbour we always chatted throughout the games and often agreed when the time was right.
David is a nice bloke though and was only saying what he thought Bri needed/wanted to hear ;)

StatsMan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:24 pm    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: 27/12 Brian - Scrooge or Santa - Christmas Specials

Yes, enjoyed that game a lot back in May and watching it back today, classic comeback game which was right on the edge from early on, but Brian took the run he was having admirably, and 8k was indeed a great result, capped by the holiday as well. It was really tense and quite a contrast to Phyli's game but just as enjoyable.

Biggest Pilgrim Game Wins:

Marlene - 21 July 2013: £118,000
Gill - 23 March 2014: £75,000
Tony - 24 April 2012: £72,000
Lee - 4 April 2013: £48,000
Tommy & Jen - 26 & 27 Mar 2013 :O - £45,000! :O :O

RMF1254

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:30 pm    Author: RMF1254    Post subject: Re: 27/12 Brian - Scrooge or Santa - Christmas Specials

Anyway, when was the last time we had a turnaround as big as this one? Up until 8-box, it looked very likely that Brian would join the likes of Nikki Tucker and Derek Brown in the Unluckiest Contestants Club...

I'm going to sound like a Grumpy Old Man, though, when I say that I didn't like the way the end gamble was done. Why effectively pay £250 for it??!?

Once again, it felt like the rules had been made up on the spot... the truth of the matter is, I simply do not like it when this happens.

I know I'd have given back that £250 unless Brian found the other 'lose'...

StatsMan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:30 pm    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: 27/12 Brian - Scrooge or Santa - Christmas Specials

Brick wrote:
Whether you count it as a "spanking" or not, £8k from a game like that is a great result. It sounds like a more extreme version of Bryan's game from Halloween...something in the name perhaps?

Yes, and quite spooky that I saw both Bri/yan's play on separate visits to the dream factory, but nothing on the scale of coincidence that Si saw with the two Justin's...

Biggest Pilgrim Game Wins:

Marlene - 21 July 2013: £118,000
Gill - 23 March 2014: £75,000
Tony - 24 April 2012: £72,000
Lee - 4 April 2013: £48,000
Tommy & Jen - 26 & 27 Mar 2013 :O - £45,000! :O :O

RMF1254

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:36 pm    Author: RMF1254    Post subject: Re: 27/12 Brian - Scrooge or Santa - Christmas Specials

Jules101 wrote:
Thats why i piped in with the follow your instincts comment after David said that.
He thought he knew Bri but as my neighbour we always chatted throughout the games and often agreed when the time was right.
David is a nice bloke though and was only saying what he thought Bri needed/wanted to hear ;)

Understood. ;) :)

It's all too easy to judge and criticise sometimes... ;)

Jules101

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:42 pm    Author: Jules101    Post subject: Re: 27/12 Brian - Scrooge or Santa - Christmas Specials

Agreed ;)

I may also be a little overprotective of my friends :roll: :lol:

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:57 pm    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject: Re: 27/12 Brian - Scrooge or Santa - Christmas Specials

That has to go down as one of the great turnarounds. £8k may not sound a much but considering Brian's flair for hitting big reds to get a 4 figure sum out of the game is little short of a miracle. The fact he also managed to get out at the peak of the game is even better

norwichdonder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:04 pm    Author: norwichdonder    Post subject: Re: 27/12 Brian - Scrooge or Santa - Christmas Specials

RMF1254 wrote:
Up until 8-box, it looked very likely that Brian would join the likes of Nikki Tucker and Derek Brown in the Unluckiest Contestants Club...

Have tried to find a commentary of the game with Nikki but seems it was too long ago. If it was as bad as Brians then I doubt she kept a recording of it either :(

It would be great to watch some of the early shows again -with all the sayings of the old days(like red mist, blues cruise, black widow, terminator etc, ) that seem to have been erased from history. Also as I recall some of the early shows had bigger offers than we see today and didn't have the contrived offers and rule bending that is commonplace now.

edit: found this on youtube. Don't remember the show or when it aired http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyvxLw5jx-8&feature=related

h2005

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:34 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 27/12 Brian - Scrooge or Santa - Christmas Specials
Administrator & Global Moderator

norwichdonder wrote:
Have tried to find a commentary of the game with Nikki but seems it was too long ago.

The commentary for her game is available HERE.

A full archive of all commentaries is available HERE. :D

KP

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:39 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 27/12 Brian - Scrooge or Santa - Christmas Specials
International Forums Moderator

Definitely no contrived gameplay; offers were more consistently set to be more generous through the game after starting very low indeed (as on the Dutch version); catchphrases were different and rarer. I still miss "the show which gives real people a real chance to win real money", symbolising an ethos the show too often forgets now.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

[ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]