Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:19 pm Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:19 pm

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

fleafly79

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:08 pm    Author: fleafly79    Post subject: Re: 21/12 Jen - Scrooge or Santa - Christmas Specials

Warnings: 0
I just think she was stupid to believe her box had 50p, when the Banker was offering £750 for a box that, at the maximum would contain a blue at £100. Since when did he offer over the odds? Pretty obvious there was going to be at least £5000 in her box.

norwichdonder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:00 pm    Author: norwichdonder    Post subject: Re: 21/12 Jen - Scrooge or Santa - Christmas Specials

collydolly wrote:
We were very surprised that she believed the banker :blueponder

It was a classic bluff. Banker says you have 50p. Do you believe him or not. I would say on balance you are more likely to believe he was telling the truth if he said you had 20k in it so refuse to swap. Thats why it was clever to say she had 50p. In effect he had nothing to lose.

If you rewind to the scrooge where he looked in her box he must have been quite worried when he saw 20k. If he had offered £4k plus, then why? unless she had 20k. Considering the other amounts of 50p, £1, £100 were peanuts, the actual offer of £750 was an interesting dilemma. It almost guaranteed she would go on. I would say she was was a gambler given her quick dismissal of 1st offer.

Lets assume he hadn't opened the box. Would a realistic offer (with 50p, £1, £100, £5k, £20k) have been more like £2k. After she revealed the £1, £100 the next box would have been either the 50p or the £5k. He knew she had the £20k, so by offering the swap (rules, what rules? lol) gave himself at least an opportunity she would give it away.

I don't buy into the 'feelgood' factor. If that was the case, the producer wouldn't have offered the swap, knowing it would have been a final £20k vs 50p or £20k vs £5k. The fact it was a rotten ending with her crying, doesn't mean you will never watch the show again. We all love a good winner, but we all love watching a loser too :smt019

KP

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:10 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 21/12 Jen - Scrooge or Santa - Christmas Specials
International Forums Moderator

Make no mistake, this is all but scripted at this point - not offering the swap would have made this game better, but the idea is to play up the 'evil Banker' early, and then produce big wins on the 'more important' shows on the 'big days'. Put it this way, they won't let another 1p win happen on Christmas Day ever again. ;)

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Simon F

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:47 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 21/12 Jen - Scrooge or Santa - Christmas Specials

I'd never swap anyway but I was pretty certain the £20k was in box 5 today. I get the feeling the £750 offer was made at 5-box with the sole intention of offering the swap at 3-box, knowing the £20k would still be there.

After the run of red wins, 2 blue wins in a row now but a more savvy contestant wouldn't have swapped today I think.

James1978

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:53 am    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 21/12 Jen - Scrooge or Santa - Christmas Specials

Glad I missed this one, it sounds ghastly! More manufactured cruelty.

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

Jules101

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:41 pm    Author: Jules101    Post subject: Re: 21/12 Jen - Scrooge or Santa - Christmas Specials

Had something pretty horrible not happened to Jen the night before her game (team knew about) maybe she would have been a little more on the ball. As it was she lost all round :(

RMF1254

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:08 am    Author: RMF1254    Post subject: Re: 21/12 Jen - Scrooge or Santa - Christmas Specials

Jules101 wrote:
Had something pretty horrible not happened to Jen the night before her game (team knew about) maybe she would have been a little more on the ball. As it was she lost all round :(

I'm probably running the risk of getting myself into trouble here, and I'm probably going to go off-topic too, but anyway...

I presume you're forbidden to reveal what that horrible thing was.

I must admit, looking at your comment brought CJ into my mind. Not the Egghead, of course, but the lady who appeared in eight shows in late September and early October 2007 - doing pretty much nothing besides opening her box with this blank-looking facial expression - and then disappeared.

Naturally, the reason why was not revealed - though (to put it as mildly as possible) it's believed that she didn't get on all that well with quite a few of her fellow contestants.

Do you remember her by any chance?

Jules101

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:36 am    Author: Jules101    Post subject: Re: 21/12 Jen - Scrooge or Santa - Christmas Specials

I am not sure if i am forbidden to say what happened as it had nothing to do with Jen or the other players concerning Deal itself.

I will pm admin and ask before i say anymore.

norwichdonder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:41 pm    Author: norwichdonder    Post subject: Re: 21/12 Jen - Scrooge or Santa - Christmas Specials

Jules101 wrote:
I am not sure if i am forbidden to say what happened as it had nothing to do with Jen or the other players concerning Deal itself.

Something is mentioned in the General Discussion forum. Seems to be related to a story in a daily comic.

Who was CJ then? Did they edit her out completely and replace her? Sounds a bit odd as there have been all types of players, both extrovert and introvert.

Mark

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:17 pm    Author: Mark    Post subject: Re: 21/12 Jen - Scrooge or Santa - Christmas Specials

So what was it then? An attack or something?

Anything horrible happening to the players while currently on the show should be said so people know about it...as most people will want to know. If it's very personal, then it's acceptable not to say anything.

paulyc

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:17 pm    Author: paulyc    Post subject: Re: 21/12 Jen - Scrooge or Santa - Christmas Specials

So is CJ the only person to go on the show then get removed, apart from health reasons which they tend to announce? When I was there there was talk of a chap who had been told he was to go home on his first day arriving as he had a bit of an attitude, and a lad who came while we were on the show was also told this, but he had been in the green room for a few days, aparantly moaning a lot.

[ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]