Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:19 pm Last visit was: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:19 pm

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

h2005

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:54 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 26/11 Mary - 5th Birthday Week Specials
Administrator & Global Moderator

Warnings: 0
Box 14 with Toyin contains the 1p

Mary says she'll give all of the £3,000 to her daughter.

The banker phones and says his heart has been touched, and he's donating the VIP holiday to Mary. :D

Noel reveals Mary has won a week for 2 in Florida. :D

Noel gives the viewers a big thank you, on behalf of everyone involved with Deal or No Deal.

A big birthday cake in the shape of a DoND box is brought on set while everyone signs Happy Birthday!

:smt113 :smt113 :smt113 :smt113 :smt113

The show ends with a cleaner coming on set (who is actually Noel!) and he answers the phone and promises not to eat the one remaining piece of cake on the table as it's the banker's. :lol:

killersbee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:54 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 26/11 Mary - 5th Birthday Week Specials

Oh phew!

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:56 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 26/11 Mary - 5th Birthday Week Specials

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

BRILLIANT END CLIP!!! :D :D :D

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

bb67

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:08 pm    Author: bb67    Post subject: Re: 26/11 Mary - 5th Birthday Week Specials

Loved that today, unfortunate in terms of the gameplay, the intro and ending was brilliantly done. Noel IS the dream factory. Loved the Banker's hand at the end taking the last piece of cake. :lol:

Don't you just love this show?

paulyc

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:54 pm    Author: paulyc    Post subject: Re: 26/11 Mary - 5th Birthday Week Specials

I dont think it was ironic the 250k was in box five today. It was in box 4 last year. If I was playing on a birthday show from now on I'd always leave the birthday date till last.

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:58 pm    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject: Re: 26/11 Mary - 5th Birthday Week Specials

So Deal or No Deal is 5 years old today - funny it feels longer :-D

Great into & outro with Noel and didn't the show look different 5 series back?

Unfortunately not the sort of game any of us would have liked to see for an anniversary show, Mary had very little luck there, but it did have a nice feelgood ending, thanks to one of the Banker's random act of kindness (though i don't think many of us didn't see that particular one coming)

Phil 09

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:59 pm    Author: Phil 09    Post subject: Re: 26/11 Mary - 5th Birthday Week Specials

A good week in all, apart from Mary's game today which could have gone either way at 2-box, and I don't think Noel or even The Banker would have wanted to see Mary become the 34th member of the 1p Club on such a special occasion. So that was a 'rare', rather than random act of kindness from The Banker methinks.

I have to say though that I was not expecting the intro which creased me up. That's what I think makes Deal or no Deal so unique amongst other game shows and that being the humour and the camaraderie plus the other general nonsense that goes with it. Yet 5 years ago, it was all so serious.

I very nearly missed the end with Noel dressed up as the cleaner as I was just about to flick over to Five News right after Noel blew out the candles on the cake and the screen going dark.

Maybe I shouldn't be so hesitant with the remote control in future. :-D

Phil.

Brick

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:34 pm    Author: Brick    Post subject: Re: 26/11 Mary - 5th Birthday Week Specials

Mary looked incredibly annoyed for a lot of the game - although perhaps she was just treating the offers with the contempt they deserved.

Second 'official' anniversary show we've had in a row with all the power 5 gone by 5-box, I too noticed the 250k was in box 5!

Still, at least we were spared a disasterous finish and overall a good end to what's been a good birthday week! The intro was impressive if a little long, although I think they'd probably have cut it down if Mary had had a stronger game with more decisions to make. A good job done, and great to see Lynn again!

RMF1254

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:32 pm    Author: RMF1254    Post subject: Re: 26/11 Mary - 5th Birthday Week Specials

h2005 wrote:
Mary chooses box 12 with Glenn, which is in the VIP area. Glenn and Lynn have to guess its contents. Lynn guesses £3,000 and Glenn guesses £75,000. If one of them gets it right, then Mary wins a holiday. She also gets an instant offer from the banker.

12 - Glenn (opened by Noel) - £250

Mary doesn't win a holiday.

Mary now gets an offer.

Banker time

So in all five specials, the net result of this twist is that it's the same mechanism as the Love Necklace, and nothing more... :? :? :?

Although of course the producers realised "oh [expletive], we've got to give a holiday or two away in some way" and did so in the last two shows.

If they were to do another week of specials around the sixth birthday - assuming that it'll be reached - then I wouldn't recommend having this twist again...

h2005

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:49 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 26/11 Mary - 5th Birthday Week Specials

I wonder why they chose 4 women and only 1 man for these specials? :ponder:

KP

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:38 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 26/11 Mary - 5th Birthday Week Specials
International Forums Moderator

The best thing about the twist? It was dressed up with so many distractions that nobody noticed the subtle incentive to play on further, and most players used it in round 5, whereas when Dan was in the wings when Love Necklace was used in 2009, the producers apparently really pushed players to save it for round 6, thus effectively adjusting the ADP to 5-box!!!

As for the game, it proves that if there's one thing Deal or No Deal in the UK is very good at, it's creating entertainment when the game goes Pete Tong for the player in the chair.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

StatsMan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:57 pm    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: 26/11 Mary - 5th Birthday Week Specials

Absolutely, I only have to recall Gillian's disaster game which I saw live to appreciate that.

Anyway, I'd be interested to see which spreadsheet they are using to calculate that total, because looking at the actual stats I have, it is a full MILLION below what was quoted. Talk about a hypothetical offer! :P

(Seriously though, if you are reading this Endemol, I want proof!)

Back to the game, it was a bit strange how Mary regarded the offers (even though they were a bit poor admittedly) and it seemed as if she just wanted to get to the end as soon as possible, avoiding the convention of having the question asked and not really interacting with the wing contestants much. Might've just been the edit though that made the pacing seem fast.

SO glad she didn't win the penny though, as probably was Mr Al in the audience, who's seen his fair share of those...

Biggest Pilgrim Game Wins:

Marlene - 21 July 2013: £118,000
Gill - 23 March 2014: £75,000
Tony - 24 April 2012: £72,000
Lee - 4 April 2013: £48,000
Tommy & Jen - 26 & 27 Mar 2013 :O - £45,000! :O :O

richie4eva1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:02 am    Author: richie4eva1    Post subject: Re: 26/11 Mary - 5th Birthday Week Specials

Have to agree with the people who say the twist didn't quite work out the way they'd hoped and I knew that they would give the holiday away regardless of what happened today

Not once but twice this week, today I was expecting it as was the actual birthday but yesterday I wasn't

I didn't mind the special guests so much, it's just that I felt the games played this week were secondary given the short space of time they had to cram everything in

If they are still around going into next year for the 6th birthday, then maybe think about going an hour long to get everything in?

Liked the recaps, some very nice memories there and overall a very enjoyable week even if the twist didn't quite work out as planned

You've been banker bashed
"Regrettably when he rings, he is laughing his designer socks off"

h2005

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:18 am    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 26/11 Mary - 5th Birthday Week Specials

The little intro they did at the start was possibly the most surreal thing I've ever seen on the show (and that's saying something). Definitely the funniest thing since Dirk's war dance. :P

A few things I spotted about the video:

• I think the taxi at the start is Noel's own taxi!
  • The receptionist at the start has just won £250,000 on the online game
  • The video monitors have "1 Noel" and "2 Leon" ('Leon' being 'Noel' backwards, I assume) above them
  • The bloke in the gallery is Australian - I seem to remember one of the executive producers (or whatever) in the gallery is Australian (Richard Hague, maybe?) - I assume it's in reference to that?!
  • Noel's art gallery has a box of "Noel's spare beards", along with props from the other special weeks and "DEAL 22" numberplates
  • The woman working on Noel's hair is his wife and make-up lady Liz (I think), before she changes into Noel...

Not sure what the woman/man saying "Good luck, darlings" was all about, though.

I hope someone (either unoficially or officially) puts that video on YouTube!

Anyway well done to DoND on its 5 years (and 26 days)! Here's to another 5 years (and 26 days)!

travis P

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:37 am    Author: travis P    Post subject: Re: 26/11 Mary - 5th Birthday Week Specials

The Australian guy is Director of the show, Richard Van't Riet. I notice in recent years he has been working on primetime programmes from 1 Vs 100 to Beat the Star and The Cube. He confirms on his website he will be working on Push the Button in 2011 so he does get around when DoND is having their dark weeks. Like Richard Hague and Glenn Hugill they have all worked with Noel from show 1. Also not many people know that Richard Osman was also an Executive Producer in the early days before moving upwards at Endemol and becoming Xander's partner in crime on Pointless.

Yes, the intro does seem surreal (and weird).

h2005

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:38 am    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 26/11 Mary - 5th Birthday Week Specials

travis P wrote:
The Australian guy is Director of the show, Richard Van't Riet

That's the one! I remember hearing an Australian bloke speak over the loudspeaker and they referred to him as Richard, then referred to him as "God". :laughing

Simon F

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:16 am    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 26/11 Mary - 5th Birthday Week Specials

The beginning and ending sounded fun. Will watch them when I get back in UK.

travis P

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:29 am    Author: travis P    Post subject: Re: 26/11 Mary - 5th Birthday Week Specials

h2005 wrote:

I'm guessing he is impersonating Julie Dolphin, the Series Producer. Apart from some of the characters (the driver, artist, receptionist and cleaner) I think is he impersonating the production team.

h2005

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:08 am    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 26/11 Mary - 5th Birthday Week Specials

travis P wrote:
h2005 wrote:

I'm guessing he is impersonating Julie Dolphin, the Series Producer.

....oh goodness. You could be right. The hair... the "good luck" wish... it's bringing back memories...

bb67

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:09 am    Author: bb67    Post subject: Re: 26/11 Mary - 5th Birthday Week Specials

Watch it back here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2G3i9T3MyIk&list=SL

[ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]