Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:31 pm Last visit was: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:31 pm

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

h2005

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:53 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 09/11 Jonathan
Administrator & Global Moderator

Warnings: 0
Round 6 (proveout)

4 - John - £10,000

The banker phones and starts laughing down the phone, and Jonathan hangs the phone up. :lol:

8 - Bonita - £100

"Oh my word" says Noel, and he wonders if we were going to get the first male quarter-millionaire just before the 5th birthday.

5 - Glenn - £35,000

Banker time with £50,000 and £250,000 remaining

Profile E-mail  

h2005

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:53 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 09/11 Jonathan

A note is passed to Noel which says "£130,000! HA HA HA!"

Banker's offer would've been:

£130,000

Profile E-mail  

h2005

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:54 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 09/11 Jonathan

Jonathan's box 3 has £50,000

Profile E-mail  

h2005

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:55 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 09/11 Jonathan

Box 22 with Kat contains the £250,000

Jonathan says he feels GUTTED that he didn't have the confidence to go on. Noel says what he won is serious smile money.

Profile E-mail  

lifegrown

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:56 pm    Author: lifegrown    Post subject: Re: 09/11 Jonathan

He did look proper gutted.

I think he wanted to cry. :cry:

Profile E-mail  

Mark

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:56 pm    Author: Mark    Post subject: Re: 09/11 Jonathan

Just had to be a lot more brave. Would have been nice to know if he would have swapped or not.

wkd

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:01 pm    Author: wkd    Post subject: Re: 09/11 Jonathan

Three blue, two orange, three power five. Seen worse deals. Thirty grand is thirty grand as they say....

RMF1254

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:11 pm    Author: RMF1254    Post subject: Re: 09/11 Jonathan

h2005 wrote:
Noel then says it's actually worth...

Banker's offer:

£27,000

Then...

Banker's offer:

£28,000

Then...

Banker's offer:

£30,000

I honestly wish Noel would stop doing this.

It might have been entertaining when he first did it, but it's really tiresome now.

Profile E-mail  

killersbee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:45 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 09/11 Jonathan

Oh now that was what we did not need...get ready for another period of blue wins...

James1978

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:26 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 09/11 Jonathan

Actually I thought the £30k was an excellent offer for the board, and I don't blame him one bit for taking it. He was just made to look like a typical summer 2008 contestant in the proveout when he didn't deserve to be.

And no KB, it's not the end of the world. :)

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

KP

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:37 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 09/11 Jonathan
International Forums Moderator

From the recap post, Noel got the right tone on the introduction today. Couldn't possibly be because she did in fact go to the end, could it.

Jonathan probably won't if the Banker retains unusually high generosity like that opening offer - you don't see £12k after an opening round with a Power 5 hit very often! Two bad boxes, one excellent gag, one good box. At least he looks like he'll go home with something in three figures if it all goes Pete Tong, 1p and 50p the only amounts below £100 already.

And crikey, the 50p goes, in an excellent round, and this is now a rather nice board; although the £250k is exposed, there's a tremendously stable £50k board if it goes. Good call from the Banker to check to see if he's playing to a £20k target, and Jonathan is absolutely right to think about it. The Banker is also absolutely right on his odds, so well done to MisterAl for holding him accountable.

No complaints at the gamble; my advice to Jonathan would have been that taking out the £250k would probably, with average luck thereafter, lead to a win in the region of the earlier offers of twelve grand. Noel rewrites the history of time to facilitate more spin to encourage Jonathan to go to the end, although with a board like this he's got the backup to do so if the Banker misjudges him.

And he does. To only go up £6k after that round is poor; it's dealable in its own right, but not as good as the offer that preceded it, so dealing here would imply he should have gone earlier instead of playing to the ADP.

Oh wait, he didn't go up just £6k. He went up to £30k, and now I'm gone. It's just enough of a one-box game for me to be a bit more conservative. Interestingly, he thinks that it'd take more than £30k to truly change his life, so from that perspective there's a case to play on, but he doesn't, and I think that's smart play.

So of course, we get a round like that. Complete with the Banker plumbing further depths and offering an inflated hypothetical one box into a proveout round, not two as he's done before. To make matters worse, the two blues required for it to occur are promptly hit, and the 10% chance follows. A sensible Deal like that deserved far, far better, and I'm extremely glad £50k was on the table, because if Noel had torn Jonathan apart over a Deal that probably 90% of players would take, what message does that send to the others?

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

bb67

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:55 pm    Author: bb67    Post subject: Re: 09/11 Jonathan

Had a funny feeling he should have went on when he dealt. Bummer.

StatsMan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:28 am    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: 09/11 Jonathan

Smart play from Jonathan today to extract that generosity from the banker - I thought £30k was a really good offer for the board (was expecting the initial £26k to actually be the offer!), and he shouldn't have any regrets for making a sensible deal.

Of course he got unlucky in the proveout, but it'd have been interesting (and somewhat reckless as it turned out) if he'd got to that 2-box finish what he'd have done. Personally, I feel £130,000 is just about perfectly pitched, with £50k guaranteed. I'm not really sure what I'd have done if I'd got that far, although claiming the biggest dealer title off Jennifer would probably sway my decision, actually...

Profile E-mail  

Simon F

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:28 am    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 09/11 Jonathan

Mark wrote:
Would have been nice to know if he would have swapped or not.

It's rather irrelevant unless you are going to ask a hypothetical question for £130k which Noel has very rarely ever done.

£62,500 on a board with a blue left and a mean of £69k. Not a chance. £50k maybe but not £60k+. £130k was about right for the 3rd best finish.

Can't blame him for dealing at £30k - I'd have done the same.

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:13 am    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject: Re: 09/11 Jonathan

Oh wow. The Banker's offers were uncharecteristically generous there, and i would have found the £30k at 8 box very hard t turn down. Don't blame Jonathan at all for taking it, though he seemed to do so through gritted teeth and i wonder how much that deal was influenced both by the presence of his fiancee in the studio and yesterday's game (the two players being more or less the same age and perhaps in a similar position financially i suspect Karen's 8 box crash would have been felt more keenly by Jonathan).

Even ignoring the £50k in his box Jonathan was unlucky not to hit the £250k in proveout which might have at least made the ending a little more palatable for him. Still a sensible deal that only hurts in hindsight is better than crashing & burning.

MisterAl

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:32 pm    Author: MisterAl    Post subject: Re: 09/11 Jonathan

Clearly the Banker was offering high to Jonathan because he'd already proved that he's comfortable with risking large amounts. How many players in the past have gambled away so much money on a horse? Not many at all, I'm sure.

I can't believe that the Banker stole my "70% is a long way from certain" line too without giving me so much as an onscreen credit. The thieving git.

Profile E-mail  

Brick

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:09 am    Author: Brick    Post subject: Re: 09/11 Jonathan

Sensible deal (250k going would have slashed the offer at 5-box and any offer other than 35k/50k at 2-box) with a bad proveout and definitely not deserving of the level of abhorrence he might get from some "fans" of this show. A shame when you think of the gamblers we had in the last season who no dealt generous offers then crashed.

[ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]