Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:26 am Last visit was: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:26 am

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

halloween bryan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:13 pm    Author: halloween bryan    Post subject: Re: 01/11 Christine

Warnings: 0
Bit of a heart breaker for Christine. This was my last game at the studios before I toddled off home and she took at least 15 minutes to say Deal. She really wanted to go on and to be honest I think she should have followed her heart instead of her head. She only needed to keep one red until two box. Even £50,000 and a blue would have caused the banker to at least stick so I felt it was worth the risk. A big risk yes but at least she would have played the game the way she intended too. Still, £17k is a nice chunk of money (believe me!).

KP

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:16 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 01/11 Christine
International Forums Moderator

Doing the maths, as I know you love doing:

10% chance of what happened
30% chance of £100k/blue (I'd reckon on £26k)
30% chance of £50k/blue (I'll generously assume a stick - I could see a drop in active play)
30% chance of an all-blue finish

The expected two-box value is (10% of £70k) + (30% of £26k) + (30% of £17k) = £7k + £7.8k + £5.1k = £19.9k

With a 30% chance of disaster, that's not a particularly great premium on £17k, and that's based on a fairly optimistic assumption on the £50k-high finish. In practice, it'd have fallen if she was that uncertain about a No Deal, and she'd quite possibly have regretted a crash - which was three times as likely as what actually happened - at least as much, especially if she'd felt talked into it.

Especially because Jeron was talked into playing on and lost £9,750 as a result in the game immediately before.

Having said that, the Banker was out of order to revise the offer because she was going to turn it down - as far as I'm concerned that's cheating, and he'd have had a repeat of Christopher's finish if it weren't for that.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

StatsMan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:06 am    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: 01/11 Christine

halloween bryan wrote:
Bit of a heart breaker for Christine. This was my last game at the studios before I toddled off home and she took at least 15 minutes to say Deal. She really wanted to go on and to be honest I think she should have followed her heart instead of her head. She only needed to keep one red until two box. Even £50,000 and a blue would have caused the banker to at least stick so I felt it was worth the risk. A big risk yes but at least she would have played the game the way she intended too. Still, £17k is a nice chunk of money (believe me!).

Well done Bryan on an excellently played game - I was watching in the front row, and the tension was palpable, and it was one of the great comeback games.

Biggest Pilgrim Game Wins:

Marlene - 21 July 2013: £118,000
Gill - 23 March 2014: £75,000
Tony - 24 April 2012: £72,000
Lee - 4 April 2013: £48,000
Tommy & Jen - 26 & 27 Mar 2013 :O - £45,000! :O :O

[ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]