Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:55 am Last visit was: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:55 am

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

h2005

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:49 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 12/10 Ammarah
Administrator & Global Moderator

Warnings: 0
Noel reminds everyone that Ammarah only has to open 1 more box before the next offer. Ammarah's mum joins her at the Pound Table.

Ammarah says

NO DEAL

h2005

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:49 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 12/10 Ammarah

Round 5 (part 2) (1 box)

Noel says he thinks the offer won't change much if this is £15,000.

17 - Jess - £15,000

Banker time

h2005

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:50 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 12/10 Ammarah

The banker says there'll be no further negotiation and he doesn't want to change even more rules after 5 years of the show!

Banker's offer:

£13,000

h2005

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:51 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 12/10 Ammarah

Bryan reminds everyone of Anji's game.

Ammarah says

DEAL

h2005

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:53 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 12/10 Ammarah

Round 6 (proveout)

8 - Darren - 10p

19 - Kiran - £35,000

5 - Annie - £100

Banker time with £5 and £50,000 remaining

h2005

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:53 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 12/10 Ammarah

Banker's offer would've been:

£17,000

h2005

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:54 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 12/10 Ammarah

Ammarah has £5 in her box 1.

h2005

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:54 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 12/10 Ammarah

Box 3 with Marley contains the £50,000

Noel says that was a really enjoyable game.

travis P

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:04 pm    Author: travis P    Post subject: Re: 12/10 Ammarah

Four box round???

That is something taken form the Affari Tuoi (Italian DoNd) rule book.

killersbee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:42 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 12/10 Ammarah

Well there was something we haven't seen before!

James1978

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:01 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 12/10 Ammarah

God, this show's really starting to annoy me now. They're just making the rules up as they go along now. What are they going to do tomorrow, just open a box at the start of the game and say that's your winnings? :(

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

travis P

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:39 pm    Author: travis P    Post subject: Re: 12/10 Ammarah

James1978 wrote:
God, this show's really starting to annoy me now. They're just making the rules up as they go along now. What are they going to do tomorrow, just open a box at the start of the game and say that's your winnings? :(

Probably, the Italian version never had a rigid box opening format. Their banker always decide to ring up whenever. The French version (where ours was originally based on) was rigid but they used swap offers instead of cash most of the time, including at the final two.

I wonder how long before they'll replace one of the 22 amounts with a mystery cash amount where The Banker doesn't know that amount as it's chosen at random from 22 different amounts (somewhere between 2p and £200,000).

KP

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:21 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 12/10 Ammarah
International Forums Moderator

And on the day the coalition government confirmed their plans to create a US-style elitist university system, we get a university student in the chair who is apparently very comfortable with taking big financial risks. Bad timing.

Starting with a five-figure offer after the textbook average opening round of three blues, £100,000, and an orange. The other two oranges fall in quick succession, creating a visually interesting board at the end of Act I, and oh look! That one there means she took out exactly £26,000 in the round. Bet the Banker doesn't notice. "Ammarah says anything she leaves with is amazing", so we have a player who has set her reference point as zero, is playing this entire game - strictly speaking, correctly - in the domain of gains, and is thus going to display none of the loss-aversion that most players do.

The last person I recall to have such an attitude? He got ushered away from this forum on his motorbike.

Anyway, fifteen grand is a stunning second offer, and although I wouldn't take it, I would absolutely not think any less of someone who did. And crikey, that's a super third round. Hang on, the proportional increase is actually less after that round than after the preceding all-red, and places it deliberately just below the most common inflection point on contestants' utility curve. They couldn't possibly be scared that this player might actually deal before the ADP, could they.

Oh.

Hello? Now that's a brilliant twist. And I'm at least having to consider the Deal, but I would play on, anticipating a much more generous seven-box offer. Hm, this has got me thinking, taking a step back from reading this recap to eat my dinner. A box-opening structure of 5-5-3-3-2-2 might work. Will try that on the forum tonight.

Anyway, Ammarah plays on, and this is the first four-box round in DoND history, if memory serves. The break is called with eight on the board, and with the third in the round being blue, I reckon that'd have been at least a stick. What next? Surely not the jackpot... it is as well. After Sunday's ending, how wrong does that look? Confirmation the offer would have been more generous at 7-box, we now have a 6-box offer, and whatever was left of the rulebook before is left in tatters. I'm not sure if I love it, loathe it, or both. Probably both. I'm glad for the stability of Miljoenenjacht coming back next month, at any rate.

Back to £15,000, on a £50k-high squashdown. Practically the mean; I can't honestly validate a gamble here. She can, it's one to open, Noel says taking out the £15k will produce a near-stick, she does just that. This is either alarmingly close to being fixed, or alarmingly badly edited. I repeat, it is not enough for this game to be fair, it has to be seen to be fair.

The producer won't change any more rules after five years of the show, the offer resembles the type he made a few times at the start of those five years on this board, it has to be taken, and it is. After all that, she wins bang on the long-run median win, can you believe it?

Or possibly not; we've only gone and got ourselves a textbook Banker's Gamble situation. One twist too many? Yup, let's have a good old-fashioned hypothetical lie instead. At least the fiver's on the table, meaning that Noel's introduction tomorrow might talk about the chaotic twists midway through this game, and not some nonsense about 'courage' based on the ending.

James1978 wrote:
What are they going to do tomorrow, just open a box at the start of the game and say that's your winnings?

As opposed to January 2007's "just open a box at the end of the game and say that's your winnings"?

On Friday, I will be watching my university group perform a production called "The Last 5 Years". It's about a relationship gone horribly wrong. Now that, Noel, is what you call a coincidence.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Brick

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:33 pm    Author: Brick    Post subject: Re: 12/10 Ammarah

Well, Noel said at the start something along the lines of "this could be an interesting psychological battle", and, well, there was one in there somewhere I think...?

Credit to Ammarah for taking a game like that in her stride. If I'd watched that live I'd probably have eaten my own hair by now.

Simon F

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:10 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 12/10 Ammarah

Well ranting Noel would have probably made a song or dance of Ammarah's mother probably costing her at least a £26k offer at 8-box, possibly closer to £30k but thankfully he didn't.

Absolutely agree with KP that a regular game would have had a BG at the end but not today's and the banker saying that he wasn't going to change any more rules (especially after Sunday's ending) was more than a little ironic.

trancematics

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:28 pm    Author: trancematics    Post subject: Re: 12/10 Ammarah

KP wrote:
claptrap snipped

Has anyone ever told you to get a life?

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:54 pm    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject: Re: 12/10 Ammarah

That was certainly a memorable game. Ammarah was a likeable, bubbly player though i was a bit surprised at the Banker's assertion that she was a 'gambler'. If memory serves during the sweep in Therese's game she was the only person not to openly advocate no dealing. :ponder:

The twist was novel and seemed to evolve naturally out of the game rather than being some arbitrary decision by the production team to spice up proceedings (qv. Anji's game). Real shame it didn't work out for her but she still made a respectable profit on her box

StatsMan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:57 pm    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: 12/10 Ammarah

Memorable certainly, weird definitely. I can't help thinking that a longer round just feels wrong though and maybe a step too far, and in this game the one extra box turned out to have huge consequences (the offer would've probably been around £30k at 8-box). Overall though, I thought the banker had been quite generous with the offers, at 11-box it was way above my calculator estimates, even if it wasn't quite in line with the generosity seen on the previous offers admittedly.

Quite a few tough decisions to make, and £13k was pretty close to the mean with little upside unless you left both, so a wise decision to cut her losses, and I was rather glad there was no banker's gamble to confuse things further...!

Biggest Pilgrim Game Wins:

Marlene - 21 July 2013: £118,000
Gill - 23 March 2014: £75,000
Tony - 24 April 2012: £72,000
Lee - 4 April 2013: £48,000
Tommy & Jen - 26 & 27 Mar 2013 :O - £45,000! :O :O

ciderduck

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:05 pm    Author: ciderduck    Post subject: Re: 12/10 Ammarah

James1978 wrote:

oh how I agree! Only just catching up online now, since I've stopped watching/recording shows. For the very reason you mention above...along with the banker's behaviour, and Noel's carry on too. I see the banker kept phoning up and increasing the offer? That's exactly the sort of thing that's put me right off. FOr the love of god, cut it out! :evil:

I'll be watching today's show since I'm home, but I'll probably get fed up and go off and make dinner

ciderduck

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:05 pm    Author: ciderduck    Post subject: Re: 12/10 Ammarah

James1978 wrote:

oh how I agree! Only just catching up online now, since I've stopped watching/recording shows. For the very reason you mention above...along with the banker's behaviour, and Noel's carry on too. I see the banker kept phoning up and increasing the offer? That's exactly the sort of thing that's put me right off. FOr the love of god, cut it out! :evil:

I'll be watching today's show since I'm home, but I'll probably get fed up and go off and make dinner

[ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]