Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:05 am Last visit was: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:05 am

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

killersbee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:02 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 29/06 Del

Warnings: 0
And the journey to May 17th 2011 continues...

wkd

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:13 pm    Author: wkd    Post subject: Re: 29/06 Del

You're both having a laugh aren't you?

Who would want to risk 70k on a coin flip? Even if the upside was a million quid I'm not sure many people would go for it.

Just too much to lose. Anyway, he was well rewarded for knocking back some poor offers.

KP

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:49 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 29/06 Del
International Forums Moderator

The £26k was the big decision, he called it right, the guarantee made the three-box decision easy and he showed common sense at the end. Easily the best and most thoroughly deserved of the two huge wins we've had in the last three games.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Brick

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:57 pm    Author: Brick    Post subject: Re: 29/06 Del

I imagine a few people would have a different tune if it was the other 250 in the box. Look beyond the knee-jerk reactions and there's so much more to it (thankfully, most of the forum can see this).

I'd read a spoiler that Del was going to bring the 250k to the table and win big. Obviously I hoped this would mean he'd win the 250k, but I also thought as long as it came from a sensible deal, it wouldn't seem so bad if he didn't win it. Not all 250k undersellers are equal, and this certainly wasn't anywhere near the class of Lance or Bonfire Night Martin. Del must've had some courage if he managed to turn down 26k and then 30k on what wasn't the most stable of boards, and in the end he showed some sensibility in what he did deal.

Such traits may not have won the most money available today, but they're good traits to have I say. Well done Del. :-D

matt26

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:04 pm    Author: matt26    Post subject: Re: 29/06 Del

I can't believe some of you are actually complaining about this game. He won SEVENTY THOUSAND POUNDS. If you went on and lost all of it on that finish, you'd never forgive yourself. After all, it's only 5k less than what Cheryl won, and it was considerably better earned as well, since there weren't any incredibly easy BGs...

Once you get to wins of 50k+, it reaches the point where you couldn't care less if more was available...

wkd wrote:
Who would want to risk 70k on a coin flip? Even if the upside was a million quid I'm not sure many people would go for it.

Just too much to lose. Anyway, he was well rewarded for knocking back some poor offers.

70k on a blue/1mil final two would certainly be an interesting offer if the format had stakes that high...

It's worth noting that the offers themselves weren't particularly poor, it's just that they were poor increases based on previous offers. 11.5k at 11-box was actually a pretty generous offer, since it was a fairly volatile board. After that, he had literally the perfect round... and only a 6k increase. In its own right it was a 'meh' sort of offer, but compared to what was offered before it looked pathetic!

SCDancing34

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:22 pm    Author: SCDancing34    Post subject: Re: 29/06 Del

Hello :)

Have watched DoND for a while now but only recently found this forum (and today taken the time to sign up).

I think that Del was given a rather unfair final offer if you bare Ramesh's game in mind; after he declined the offer of £51,000 he then took out the 50,000 and 100,000 (and £10 I think) yet the offer still went up to £77,000. Although Del today took out the 50,000, he then only followed that with the £1,000, making his 3-box offer of £30,000 (up by 4k) unfair.

Then there are the difference in the final offer. £77,000 for Ramesh on a £5/£250,000 board, and yet only £70,000 for Del on a £250/£250,000 board - then again, there have been two recent finishes like that (Andy G was one, can't remember the other) and those offers didn't peak Del's I don't think. I think Ramesh did get rather high offers throughout with the 50/100/250k until 5-box; probably a difficult offer to judge with over 150k going, yet with the £250k still left.

killersbee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:31 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 29/06 Del

Exactly, which points out how less generous it was when £70k was offered on a£250/£250k board, personally I would be looking for £80,000

DanS

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:29 pm    Author: DanS    Post subject: Re: 29/06 Del

£70k or £80k? Who honestly cares? Ramesh was offered £77k because he was more of a gambler and the banker knew this. Del didn't really show any signs that he might recklessly gamble a generous offer.

Anyway, this was a good game. I liked the system (although it took me a while to figure out) and although he could have been the first quarter millionaire of the male persuasion, I honestly think it was still a great result. That was reflected with the atmosphere in the dream factory.

Simon F

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:40 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 29/06 Del

A great game. I wasn't really paying attention at the beginning of the game so didn't work out Del's system straight away (although anyone reading the commentary would have spotted it).

After Cheryl's game on Sunday, it was unlikely that Del was going to get a Laura-low generosity offer at 2-box and with a blue as backup, it was unlikely that we were going to get another Corrine-type gamble (even with slightly better odds being given).

You get the feeling that had Del had £20k+ as backup, we may have had a 3rd QM winner but with his system, at least he would have no regrets about leaving Yvonne to last.

Having turned down £26k at 5-box (which I probably wouldn't have done), turning down £30k at 3-box was the right decision with an EV of a 2-box offer of around £45k (I was calculating a 2 box offer of £65k), it was probably worth the risk having risked it at 5-box.

This should be an interesting heat for game of the month.

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:09 pm    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject: Re: 29/06 Del

Am i being thick? I still don't get Del's system, I know the numbers corresponded to letters but I've no edea what he was trying to spell out. Suppose i could go back through the commentary and work it out - maybe later

So anyway, great game. Personally i thought that final offer was well worth dealing given he had a 50% chance of having a blue in his box, with a red backup it might have been a different story ....

Mind you the part of me that believes in numbers of 'deep personal significance' did believe he had the £250k in his box from the moment he said it was his dad's birthday.

James1978

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:04 am    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 29/06 Del

Moxx, he picked the players in alphabetical order of their first names - it took me a while to figure it out as I had to remember who he picked in the first round during the break as I knew it was nothing to do with numbers or wing positions - but what a great system! I think that calmed him down actually, not worrying about where he was going to go next (simialr to Doreen)!

Has anyone got that broken record symbol for KB? ;-)

(I even don't think Basicasic would have begrudged that deal!!!)

Seriously, that was the best game in yonks. A few seriously chunky offers declined to earn genuine life-changing money. It would have needed a Corinne or similar person who didn't care about £70k to have gone all the way on that final pair with that offer!

And I thought the banker throwing in the £30k 3-box offer I thought was an excellent ploy, it could have got out someone worried there. Propoer good play from both sides I feel unlike Sunday. I know which big win I'm going for in game of the month!!

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

Tom

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:06 am    Author: Tom    Post subject: Re: 29/06 Del

I'm not actually suprised that some people are begrudging the deal, well one person maybe.

What a fantastic game! I really liked Del and to see him go away with £70,000 was brilliant. The offers he turned down were completely justifiable. To have no dealt £70k would have been madness in my view.

Yes, he had the £250k in his box, but considering how we were 2 weeks ago, I can't really see why people are unhappy!

Oh, and this last Show of The Month heat will be interesting..

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:46 pm    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject: Re: 29/06 Del

James1978 wrote:
Moxx, he picked the players in alphabetical order of their first names - it took me a while to figure it out as I had to remember who he picked in the first round during the break as I knew it was nothing to do with numbers or wing positions - but what a great system! I think that calmed him down actually, not worrying about where he was going to go next (simialr to Doreen)!

D'oh!!!!

It's obvious now you've pointed it out, can't believe i didn't see it when i read through the thread :oops:

[ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]