Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:48 pm Last visit was: Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:48 pm

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

dougal18

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:44 am    Author: dougal18    Post subject: Re: 12/01 Bel

Warnings: 0
SimonF wrote:

Cast your mind back about 15 years with gameshows like Play Your Cards Right which had end games that were impossible to win if the producers decided the star prize wasn't going to be won that week

The packs of cards were tied by a ribbon and couldn't have tampered with. ("Did you cut the cards? Did you see them cut the cards?"). Knowing what cards would be used in the end game is impossible. How can they predict when the teams will get it wrong, freeze or change the base card?

Back to DOND Bel did the right thing in Dealing the Banker's Gamble. 11 and a bit times her stake on a 50/50 chance was too good to refuse.

Joey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:34 am    Author: Joey    Post subject: Re: 12/01 Bel

dougal18 wrote:
The packs of cards were tied by a ribbon and couldn't have tampered with. ("Did you cut the cards? Did you see them cut the cards?"). Knowing what cards would be used in the end game is impossible. How can they predict when the teams will get it wrong, freeze or change the base card?

That's not strictly true. I've been watching a few repeats recently and for the end game, the cards are simply brought out from backstage. They could have been placed in any order that the producers wanted (and this is probably what happened) thus giving the producers a large degree of influence on whether there'd be a big win or not that week.

wkd

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:32 am    Author: wkd    Post subject: Re: 12/01 Bel

Mad Mark wrote:
Guest commentary time.

A game with a lesson. How rare. That lesson is: "Never take the Banker's Gamble on 1p / other amount." This person did, and made a fool of herself in the process. For shame. The fact that she took it so well is even worse. You can sense that deep down, the losers really feel like rubbish for what they did, as they screwed themselves out of thousands of pounds. The onus is on them to make good decisions, and it is appalling to see so many contestants don't, thus failing miserably.

I think it's time to officially retire the 1p(athetic) amount now. Okay, it was fine when there were only 10 winners of it, but it's just getting stupid now. It's lost its lustre, so to speak. At this rate, there will be 83 1p(athetic) winners by season's end, or some ridiculous number like that. I think it's enough. Don't you? Just make the lowest prize on the board £1 or something. But then there will be too many £1 winners. You can't have it all, I suppose.

Yeah, I think this show's getting canned soon. Can't see it lasting beyond this season, and it's not because of rubbish like this. U.S. syndicated version's halted production for the 38th time now, and there has been no news of it starting up again. The host found a new job in the process. I suppose that's the proverbial last nail in the coffin. Surely this version isn't too far behind.

What in God's name are you on about?

travis P

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:19 am    Author: travis P    Post subject: Re: 12/01 Bel

It's funny for someone who came out of retirement, become guest commentator, what ever they call themselves to come out of the dark to post about a 1p winner last month and mumble about it. Yet, they come out of retirement again to post on the same event happening this month. So am I guessing this "guest commentator" will make their next post when the next person wins 1p? Frankly, this person is boring and tiring me.

Mad Mark: Guest Commentator wrote:
A game with a lesson. How rare. That lesson is: "Never take the Banker's Gamble on 1p / other amount."

Tell that to Alice.

Yeah, I think this show's getting canned soon. Can't see it lasting beyond this season.

You got that wrong. The show is currently under contract to December 2010. Season 5 will end in July 2010, that means there will be a sixth season.

and it's not because of rubbish like this. U.S. syndicated version's halted production for the 38th time now, and there has been no news of it starting up again.

There are many reasons why the U.S. production may not return. Unlike here (where it's five networks), there are many networks (many in each U.S. State) over there don't have faith in the show and air it at 1am. For those who do air it in normal hours nobody watches anyway, this is because there are better shows on other channels. The main problem with the show over there is the format. They have tried to carry over the European daytime formula to American waters and it hasn't worked. Where here, France, Italy, Holland have contestants on the show until they play their game. The U.S. version have a different set of 22 contestants every five days. So if you get to appear on the show and don't get picked after your fifth appearance on the show, you go home. Imagine David appearing on the show, biggest fan etc.. :-D only not to get picked at random after the fifth show and told to go home. Same with the case selection rounds they use. Other countiries use a simple and memorable process to picking boxes (6-5-4-3-2-1 etc or 5-3-3-3-3-3) but they have an awkward process, something like 4-3-2-2-2-2-1. Also don't get me started on the biased editing (20 contestants advising No Deal, 1 advising Deal).

Last edited by travis P on Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

h2005

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:21 am    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 12/01 Bel
Administrator & Global Moderator

Mad Mark wrote:
The fact that she took it so well is even worse. You can sense that deep down, the losers really feel like rubbish for what they did, as they screwed themselves out of thousands of pounds. The onus is on them to make good decisions, and it is appalling to see so many contestants don't, thus failing miserably.

She made a wise decision but it didn't pay off. Alice did the same but luckily for her, it did pay off and she won £250,000 as a result. Actually, I just had a look at Alice's thread again and you were pleased that she'd taken the 1p vs £250k banker's gamble. To quote you, "This will be a historic moment either way", so obviously you're occasionally in favour of them....

Mad Mark wrote:
The fact that she took it so well is even worse.

Illogical. I don't see the sense behind that statement. The fact that she took it well shows she knew what she was doing and could handle the result.

dougal18

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:00 pm    Author: dougal18    Post subject: Re: 12/01 Bel

Joey wrote:
That's not strictly true. I've been watching a few repeats recently and for the end game, the cards are simply brought out from backstage. They could have been placed in any order that the producers wanted (and this is probably what happened) thus giving the producers a large degree of influence on whether there'd be a big win or not that week.

I didn't notice that before. I still do not believe they swapped the cards about.

daniel4389

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:43 pm    Author: daniel4389    Post subject: Re: 12/01 Bel

I saw the end of this in the gym, but otherwise haven't seen any in ages - when the Banker said that if she won 1p she'd be the first person not to be invited back, does that mean other people have before now?! I can't find any evidence of it but don't understand why he phrased it like that if not...

lcc

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:51 pm    Author: lcc    Post subject: Re: 12/01 Bel

hard luck bel sorry didn,t work out but good decision to take the gamble

James1978

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:48 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 12/01 Bel

daniel4389 wrote:
I saw the end of this in the gym, but otherwise haven't seen any in ages - when the Banker said that if she won 1p she'd be the first person not to be invited back, does that mean other people have before now?! I can't find any evidence of it but don't understand why he phrased it like that if not...

There was when they (mostly) all came back in Zoe & Zara's game when they had the fancy dress party in Banker's Birthday week in '08, and also loads of them re-appeared in the 1000th show and build-ups where the pilgrims were ex-contestants!

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

rico7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:51 pm    Author: rico7    Post subject: Re: 12/01 Bel

Bel was unlucky, but in no way can she have any regrets about the decisions she made. I thought she'd get the BG and she was right to take it when you think that she had dealt 31K below the 2 box average. She handled it really well, and I hope that she gets all the perks of being a 1p winner whatever they are!

danavir7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:55 pm    Author: danavir7    Post subject: Re: 12/01 Bel

i think her decision was right to take the bankers gamble, but bel was very unlucky to have 1p in her box. I wonder if the producers show the big wins to all contestants when they are there, either when they just arrive or just before their game? plz reply bk. danny

Simon F

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:05 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 12/01 Bel

dougal18 wrote:
SimonF wrote:

Cast your mind back about 15 years with gameshows like Play Your Cards Right which had end games that were impossible to win if the producers decided the star prize wasn't going to be won that week

Back to DOND Bel did the right thing in Dealing the Banker's Gamble. 11 and a bit times her stake on a 50/50 chance was too good to refuse.

The values of the cards in the PYCR end game were too predictable to be random (the amount of times a pair came or a King after a Queen etc).

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:43 am    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject: Re: 12/01 Bel

Your reaction makes me laugh, Travis. The answer is that you lot are very fun to play with, and the fact that some of you go ballistic when I comment on something is even funnier. Yes, I only comment on the 1pisher (Google "pisher" to find the definition) games is because they're the only ones worth commenting on. They're the worst games, and thus, they require commentary. If they were smart, they'd cap entry into the 1pisher hotel at 30 members, because this is becoming ridiculous. Yes, it's a hotel now because the [insert name of current 1pisher club vehicle here] is nearing capacity.

I agree, the U.S. version is complete rubbish, and it will get canned at season's end. Don't expect this incarnation to make it past 2012, though. If Edmonds leaves, just replace him with Justin Lee Collins. He looks exactly the same, only with more hair.

I am pure evil, and it's taken you lot four years to figure it out. Amazing.

DOND Addict

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:05 pm    Author: DOND Addict    Post subject: Re: 12/01 Bel

>>Somebody has to put the amounts in the boxes and if it were a member of the production team who choose who plays each day, then it would give rise to accusations that some days the £250k would be put deliberately in the players box and some days the 1p.<<

I suppose the fact that the players don't play in order, means that theoretically the producers could choose some one to play who they knew had a low number in their box if they wanted to. Theoretically...

Old Faithful

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:38 pm    Author: Old Faithful    Post subject: Re: 12/01 Bel

DOND Addict wrote:
>>Somebody has to put the amounts in the boxes and if it were a member of the production team who choose who plays each day, then it would give rise to accusations that some days the £250k would be put deliberately in the players box and some days the 1p.<<

The numbers are in the boxes before the players pick their ball out of the bag to decide what number they get.

I think.

[ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]