Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:02 am Last visit was: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:02 am

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close soon on 3 May 2024. More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

h2005

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:56 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 14/10 Sid
Administrator & Global Moderator

Warnings: 0
I must admit, I'm not entirely sure why they're praising Sid and implying he did the perfect thing. He turned down some generous offers and managed to scrape it back and luckily win a decent amount! No doubt if Sid had won the 50p at the end, they'd have been saying how he ignored the lifeline at 5-box and 2-box etc...

Anyway, I liked Sid and he was a great character. So pleased he won the red at the end - I think that's the first 2-box gamble that's worked out for ages!

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:57 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 14/10 Sid

Very clever editing at 7-box where Noel said the £10,000 was balancing the board...it could have gone either way and albeit the offers, it was fair ironic Sid went home with the £10,000, and neither peanuts or big money

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

greeny

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:58 pm    Author: greeny    Post subject: Re: 14/10 Sid

Big-Davey wrote:
Thank god for that!

Yes, Sid had the right personality to win big...£22,000 was a massive gamble and could very easily have paid off for him on another day...thank goodness we finally have a big "win" at the end!

Who cares if it's a TBW...it felt like a great big win from the way he took the collapse! :)

It's an OBW, but it feels more like an OPW (it can't be technical if the player doesn't deal)

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:01 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 14/10 Sid

Same statement, OBW instead of TBW! :)

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

StatsMan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:09 pm    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: 14/10 Sid

Great game, some brave no-deals there from Sid, but he seemed determined from the outset to go all the way practically regardless of the offers he received!

£22k was a decent enough offer, but there were still 3 of the power 5 remaining (although 3 of the banker's power 5 balanced this), so I'd have given it another shot, and dealt at £7,500 - not sure if I'd have taken the £6,000 though. £4k was a particularly brave no-deal from him, and for once the 2-box gamble paid off! :D

Biggest Pilgrim Game Wins:

Marlene - 21 July 2013: £118,000
Gill - 23 March 2014: £75,000
Tony - 24 April 2012: £72,000
Lee - 4 April 2013: £48,000
Tommy & Jen - 26 & 27 Mar 2013 :O - £45,000! :O :O

killersbee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:12 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 14/10 Sid

It did but it's quite Ironic that £10k was won out of the box as the higher and lowest of the 2 amounts left by Sid and Suzi

rico7

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:18 pm    Author: rico7    Post subject: Re: 14/10 Sid

Great result for a very likeable contestant. If 250K had been in Sid's box it wouldn't have surprised me if he'd have gone all the way. Certainly one of the most generous 2 box offers with 10K and a blue that I can remember.

MisterAl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:24 pm    Author: MisterAl    Post subject: Re: 14/10 Sid

h2005 wrote:
I must admit, I'm not entirely sure why they're praising Sid and implying he did the perfect thing. He turned down some generous offers and managed to scrape it back and luckily win a decent amount! No doubt if Sid had won the 50p at the end, they'd have been saying how he ignored the lifeline at 5-box and 2-box etc...

I have to admit that I pretty much agree with this. No disrespect to Sid at all -- he can play the game however he pleases -- but since he didn't seem to even acknowledge any of the offers, I couldn't find myself caring too much about the state of the board. The only significant value on there was the one value that happened to be in his own box, with all of the others being utterly irrelevant.

I left the studio thinking that he may as well have just opened the box in front of him at the start, got Noel to write a cheque for the amount inside and we could all have gone home early!

alexandercbrown

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:53 pm    Author: alexandercbrown    Post subject: Re: 14/10 Sid

h2005 wrote:

Anyway, I liked Sid and he was a great character. So pleased he won the red at the end - I think that's the first 2-box gamble that's worked out for ages!

Noel's just trying to raise the player's spirits after all the bad luck I suppose. It makes a change to see generous offers no dealt after all the unlucky games we've had recently. It makes a change to say 'I might have dealt that'.

James1978

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:51 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 14/10 Sid

Really enjoyable show today, Sid was possibly my favourite contestant of season 5 so far but not completely sure, he was absolutely great fun. Great to see someone of advanced years with so much energy and enthusiasm.

I'm not completely convinced he was a Wakeyist no-matter-what, at the board was definitely worth going on at 8-box, and after taking out the two biggest in the 5th round, the stakes were fairly low so he could just go on and take the box without much regret. I think if he'd kept the £250k with some back-up at 5-box, or even kept the biggie to 2-box, a very big offer may have got him out.

It was very reminiscent of 97-yo-Joe in a lot of respects, just the collapse happened earlier in Joe's game! (And both Joe and Sid were really called Cyril....spooky! The guy who had Cyril on his namebadge played nothing like those two....). I knew it wouldn't feel depressing if he won he 50p as he'd have been fine, but the £10k made it sweet after seeing 2-box gambles not pay off at all recently!

Hopefully this could give the waiting players a lot more confidence both in the end result and how to come across to the banker! :)

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

James1978

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:53 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 14/10 Sid

Oh and interesting to see no swap offer - maybe it was edited out as it wasn't important as he won the higher amount, but I don't think he seemed remotely interested in one! :D

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

KP

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:59 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 14/10 Sid
International Forums Moderator

Sid certainly stuck to his guns didn't he?

One-post summary... full marks for honesty in boasts, half marks for a moderate result that he was quite happy with, negative marks for the utterly horrendous incitement to gamble aimed at the remaining players on the wings.

Interesting point from MisterAl about the experience of watching the show.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

James1978

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:12 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 14/10 Sid

KP wrote:
Sid certainly stuck to his guns didn't he?

One-post summary... full marks for honesty in boasts, half marks for a moderate result that he was quite happy with, negative marks for the utterly horrendous incitement to gamble aimed at the remaining players on the wings.

Maybe they'll be able to behave in a way that gets them better offers though and might not necessarily be forced on. :)

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:22 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 14/10 Sid

It was still a feel-good game with a 2-box gamble that actually paid off, we'd been needing it for some-time...

KP

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:42 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 14/10 Sid
International Forums Moderator

Hopefully whatever the incentives and psychological trickery we'll get some memorable games - even the eight-box Deal today would've been the biggest win in weeks! How many wingers have seen a £20k win now??

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Simon F

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:50 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 14/10 Sid

Another case of me completing misreading the player. After the 1p win yesterday, I was certain we'd get an 8-box deal. I was thinking in the second break that if the next box was a blue, the offer would be £20k ish and we'd get a deal.

Hard to judge the 8 box board statistically as it depended which power 5 you looked at as likely to take 1 of the 3 out of.

I doubt the banker would have even bothered with the swap offer today (unless it was edited out).

I can't endorse Sid's reasoning that the first two words of the show title didn't exist but for some reason, the age of the contestant seems to reduce my feelings that the player was turning down some generous offers.

rayrumkee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:50 pm    Author: rayrumkee    Post subject: Re: 14/10 Sid

I can't BELIEVE that no one got Noel's 'El Cid' joke.

StatsMan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:58 pm    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: 14/10 Sid

KP wrote:
... How many wingers have seen a £20k win now??

Well... it's anyone remaining from when Chapola played - So, Kate, Marie, Laura and the newbie on her game Cal.

Biggest Pilgrim Game Wins:

Marlene - 21 July 2013: £118,000
Gill - 23 March 2014: £75,000
Tony - 24 April 2012: £72,000
Lee - 4 April 2013: £48,000
Tommy & Jen - 26 & 27 Mar 2013 :O - £45,000! :O :O

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:03 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 14/10 Sid

Yikes! All their games are imminent too (naturally) so these next few shows are going to be VERY interesting to see...

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:32 pm    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject: Re: 14/10 Sid

Mixed feelings about that game. It was hard to tell where things were going first off with some particularly derisory offers from the Banker (maybe he just wanted to avoid another game where the offers peaked at 14 box or earlier :-D ) and while i thought Sid was brave to no deal some pretty decent offfers in the latter stages I don't really get the spin that this was bravery rewarded. Yes, it's nice to see a box opening rewarded with the higher amount but i can;t shake the knowledge that if he'd dealt at 8 box he could have had more than twice that. What he got was a nice consolation prize, not some great victory over the Banker.

[ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]