Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:08 pm Last visit was: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:08 pm

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close soon on 3 May 2024. More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Skyline

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:00 pm    Author: Skyline    Post subject: Re: 01/04 Lisa - SHOW 1,000 SPECIAL
Forum Games Moderator

Warnings: 0
Mark wrote:
ARGH!!! Should have been more brave! Someone should have reminded her what she had yesterday.

Knowing that the £250k winners were in the audience and it staying until two box was showing a sign...

Hello, £100 winner.

wkd

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:00 pm    Author: wkd    Post subject: Re: 01/04 Lisa - SHOW 1,000 SPECIAL

DanJudge wrote:
Mark wrote:
ARGH!!! Should have been more brave! Someone should have reminded her what she had yesterday.

Knowing that the £250k winners were in the audience and it staying until two box was showing a sign...

seriously? do you actually believe that?

Dan, there's no arguing with someone who's looking for 'signs' and bases decisions on what yesterday's boxes turned up.

nickynoo93

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:04 pm    Author: nickynoo93    Post subject: Re: 01/04 Lisa - SHOW 1,000 SPECIAL

Great 1000th show, knew it would be Lisa, thanks for a fab show.
Congrats on 50k.

wkd

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:05 pm    Author: wkd    Post subject: Re: 01/04 Lisa - SHOW 1,000 SPECIAL

I was actually more concerned about her being carried away with the occasion and no-dealing her way to a blue she'd regret.

PerilousPierre

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:09 pm    Author: PerilousPierre    Post subject: Re: 01/04 Lisa - SHOW 1,000 SPECIAL

wkd wrote:
I was actually more concerned about her being carried away with the occasion and no-dealing her way to a blue she'd regret.

What a time for Loopy Lisa to get sensible! I guess she'll go back to being loopy now - it works better - for her.

Pierre

What is the statistical probability of any specific game following statistical probability?

KP

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:09 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 01/04 Lisa - SHOW 1,000 SPECIAL
International Forums Moderator

If you're going to gamble £50,000 on a superstition you deserve to lose. Thankfully she didn't, and I say that as someone who'd have been half-tempted to play on anyway - hard not to be tempted by 4/1 on a 50-50 shot but I don't think I could do twice as much with £250,000 as £50,000.

The £25,000 was the game's big decision and I'm not entirely sure it was her true preference, but an inadequate £30,000 at five-box was quite rightly rejected and it worked out in the end.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

rico7

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:10 pm    Author: rico7    Post subject: Re: 01/04 Lisa - SHOW 1,000 SPECIAL

Really good to achieve such a result for the 1,000 show. The banker could have gone lower than
£50,000 with only £100 but you got the impression that Lisa was genuinely there to play the game
even though the money still meant a lot to her. Most contestants would have walked at 5 box or 8 box,
so they were right to select Lisa for the show.

If anyone thinks that Lisa should have no dealt at 2 box then think about it like this.
Imagine if someone comes up to you and gives you £50,000 then tells you that you can
go to the bookmaker and have a 50/50 chance of winning £250,000 or losing it all, how many
people would make that journey to the bookmaker and gamble the £50,000? :shock:

Well done Lisa on providing such a great 1,000th show, and congratulations on winning £50,000!! :D

richie4eva1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:11 pm    Author: richie4eva1    Post subject: Re: 01/04 Lisa - SHOW 1,000 SPECIAL

My personal congratulations to Noel and the crew on 1,000 shows

And here is to the next 1,000 shows and beyond

TO DEAL OR NO DEAL :smt038 :notworthy: :beer:

Enjoy the 50k, Lisa

You've been banker bashed
"Regrettably when he rings, he is laughing his designer socks off"

taff

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:15 pm    Author: taff    Post subject: Re: 01/04 Lisa - SHOW 1,000 SPECIAL

Fantastic show for the 1000th. I thought the 250K would be in box 22 but everyone would have cried 'fix' if it was won on the 1000th. Great to see Orry and Clive again as well.

travis P

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:16 pm    Author: travis P    Post subject: Re: 01/04 Lisa - SHOW 1,000 SPECIAL

h2005 wrote:
Noel also thanks the viewers for helping DOND get to show 1,000, and he says it's a broadcasting phenomenon which he couldn't have dreamed of happening when the show started 3 years ago. He says it's down to the viewers and thanks them for supporting the show...

So right, it might be 3 & 1/2 years now but I've still got people at work who have been badgering me if I've seen the latest show. These come from folks who have been watching it since the early days (2005/2006). I even had one guy spoke to me first thing this morning if I think they'll (Lisa) win £250,000 today.

With myself, I've been following the DoND format since early 2004 and the UK version since day 1 (Sky+d the first show as I was having my haircut at the time and didn't have it on, now everytime I go back, unless there is live sport he always got it on) and still enjoy the show now.

While Noel makes it tense viewing for all these shows. Credit should also go to the senior production team who have worked on the show since 2005, those who have packaged this great daytime show together. I'm referring to Richard Viet Reit, Richard Hague and Glenn Hugill. Well done guys!

KP

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:20 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 01/04 Lisa - SHOW 1,000 SPECIAL
International Forums Moderator

The producers have shown a brilliant knack for taking an extremely simple, versatile format and adding a spectacular array of modifications, most of which - if we're honest - have worked.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

travis P

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:26 pm    Author: travis P    Post subject: Re: 01/04 Lisa - SHOW 1,000 SPECIAL

Back to game analysis, if Lisa wanted the money badly then I wouldn't have blamed her for dealing £30,000. Given the odds were in her favour on the basis she is happy to losing a few grand via damage limitation (blue Vs £100K) then she did the right thing. With the final two I was thinking offering £40,000 as it's "only" £100 as the final amount but I didn't include Laura in my thoughts.

75KLynne

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:27 pm    Author: 75KLynne    Post subject: Re: 01/04 Lisa - SHOW 1,000 SPECIAL

Congratulations on the 1000th show to everyone involved with DoND - the show and this site. DoND certainly changed my life and being a player means you become a member of this elite club as proved during this past week with so many past players turning up for the celebrations.

Brick

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:28 pm    Author: Brick    Post subject: Re: 01/04 Lisa - SHOW 1,000 SPECIAL

Well done Lisa!!

That last round was so tense, I was actually preparing myself for the £250k to appear in box 2...

Yeah, perhaps she could have been another quarter millionaire, but she got a lot more out of that game than many others would have and getting a £50k win on the 1000th show is a result!

PerilousPierre

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:53 pm    Author: PerilousPierre    Post subject: Re: 01/04 Lisa - SHOW 1,000 SPECIAL

h2005 wrote:
Lisa says she feels such an idiot, as she knew the £250k was in box 22. But she says she still has £50,000

Noel thanks Lisa for giving us a sensational show 1,000...

Wearing my psychologist's hat for a moment (my professional life), I am wondering if you, who knew Lisa, could tell what she would do at the end. I can normally read the body language and know what they are going to do, sometimes even before they know themselves, but with the big "Destiny" speech she made I couldn't call this one.

Pierre

What is the statistical probability of any specific game following statistical probability?

Power5

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:12 pm    Author: Power5    Post subject: Re: 01/04 Lisa - SHOW 1,000 SPECIAL

I had no idea what she was going to do at the final offer there! To be honest when she kept the £250k in play I was expecting to see a huge final offer that only Wakey would turn down, partly to add to the feel-good factor of the 1000th show and also because they wouldn't want to "risk" a £250k winner today as everyone would say it was fixed! For that reason, and the fact she was hard to read, I thought she would get a fair bit more than £50k even with a blue there and was a bit disappointed when I heard the offer.

Still it was a reasonable decision to make to not risk that amount with a chance of going away with just £100, and £50k is a great amount to take away in any game, especially after a fair number of the "gold box" games have gone badly. Great to see all the old contestants back as well, bring on the next 1000!

Whizzer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:15 pm    Author: Whizzer    Post subject: Re: 01/04 Lisa - SHOW 1,000 SPECIAL

Good show. Had me on the edge of my seat. I was worried she would have got carried away and ended up with a blue. But she made a good choice in taking the £50,000.

Nice to seem of my fave Deal Or No Deal girls in the audience too! Ty, Joey("the baby faced assasin"), Alice, and Cassie!

PerilousPierre

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:27 pm    Author: PerilousPierre    Post subject: Re: 01/04 Lisa - SHOW 1,000 SPECIAL

Power5 wrote:
I had no idea what she was going to do at the final offer there! To be honest when she kept the £250k in play I was expecting to see a huge final offer that only Wakey would turn down, partly to add to the feel-good factor of the 1000th show and also because they wouldn't want to "risk" a £250k winner today as everyone would say it was fixed! For that reason, and the fact she was hard to read, I thought she would get a fair bit more than £50k even with a blue there and was a bit disappointed when I heard the offer.

Still it was a reasonable decision to make to not risk that amount with a chance of going away with just £100, and £50k is a great amount to take away in any game, especially after a fair number of the "gold box" games have gone badly. Great to see all the old contestants back as well, bring on the next 1000!

I've just watched it again and right at the very last moment she dips her head but still stumbles over her words. That was the moment she decided, not when asked for the question. But she still had mixed feelings and on a whim could have changed again. Her decision was the sensible certainty but her response was to call herself an idiot. Amazing - must drive you stats guys wild!

Pierre

Power5

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:48 pm    Author: Power5    Post subject: Re: 01/04 Lisa - SHOW 1,000 SPECIAL

What Noel said about possibly having the "dream finish" wasn't quite true though - of course the dream finish on this board would have been £250k/£250k!

I wonder what would happen if there was a final pair of two boxes the same, as was possible in some of the recent shows? Would seem rather a waste of time having a final offer and potentially offering the swap! Perhaps they would introduce an additional twist depending on whether they got the red one or gold one?

h2005

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:54 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 01/04 Lisa - SHOW 1,000 SPECIAL
Administrator & Global Moderator

Power5 wrote:
I wonder what would happen if there was a final pair of two boxes the same, as was possible in some of the recent shows? Would seem rather a waste of time having a final offer and potentially offering the swap! Perhaps they would introduce an additional twist depending on whether they got the red one or gold one?

Yes, I had wondered that too.

For example, if a player had 2 £35k boxes left at 3-box (and presuming they were in live play) then the banker would probably phone at that point.

An interesting twist would be to say that if the player had a £35k vs £35k final 2, then the banker would offer £35k. The player could either deal at £35k; or they could no deal, and if the red £35k was in their box then they'd win £30k; but if it was the gold one, then they'd win £40k. Or something like that. If the 2 boxes were £250k then the 2 extra sums of money available could be £200k or £300k - that would be interesting. It'd be an effective offer of £250,000 on a £200,000 vs £300,000 final 2. Who would deal / no deal that?

[ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]