Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:09 pm Last visit was: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:09 pm

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

KP

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:15 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 15/03 Sarah
International Forums Moderator

Warnings: 0
This asks questions over players' preferences versus the 'right decision'. I think we can mostly agree that the £20k No Deal was the right decision but also not the player's preference... or at least not the one she'd have held before the deux ex machina of the previous taping day.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:25 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 15/03 Sarah

What makes it even more delicious is that nobody here would have dealt at £20,000 so in a public manner of speaking, she definitely did the right thing by not taking it...too bad she didn't open the right boxes in the next round, as her own box did contain more - so she was right to go on, just bad luck for finding the two other amounts larger! :|

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

Power5

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:20 pm    Author: Power5    Post subject: Re: 15/03 Sarah

KP wrote:
This asks questions over players' preferences versus the 'right decision'.

Well the "right decision" from an analytical point of view might not be the right decision for an individual player. Pure targetism might be irrational (to take it to extremes, nobody would no-deal £19,999 on 1p/£20k or deal £20,001 on £15k/£250k) but a lot of contestants have an amount they are very reluctant to risk if it is on offer, and that's how we define the target-driven player.

What's right for the majority isn't necessarily right for the contestant in the chair, so it might be the "right decision" for that person even if 99% of viewers would do the opposite...

StatsMan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:51 pm    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: 15/03 Sarah

Well that was an important reality check game, being the last recorded show (I think) on "£250k day" and following consecutive appearances of the biggie on the table. £20k at 8-box was an offer that would have made most of us go on, with a 50% chance of at least that in the box, but there were indications that this was perhaps not Sarah's true preference, reinforced somewhat by the revealing of her £20K target at the end.

The banker played a good game. Maybe he read her as a £20k targetist, and it was perfectly pitched for the board. Under normal circumstances, she might well have taken it, but with the £250k euphoria still present in the studio, it was tempting to think the luck would hold. But the only sure thing about luck is that it will change.

I predicted £10k for the final offer, and I expect the majority would take that on the basis that a drop to half the peak offer is not nearly as monumentally regrettable as a complete crash to £500 would be, and I'd more regret leaving with £500 from £20k than dealing for £10k and discovering I had £35k - just.

Decent game. Intriguing finish.

Biggest Pilgrim Game Wins:

Marlene - 21 July 2013: £118,000
Gill - 23 March 2014: £75,000
Tony - 24 April 2012: £72,000
Lee - 4 April 2013: £48,000
Tommy & Jen - 26 & 27 Mar 2013 :O - £45,000! :O :O

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:49 am    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject: Re: 15/03 Sarah

Interesting game. Sarah either dealt too late or too soon depending on how you look at it, and while £10k is not to be sniffed at, compared to the amounts she could have had - and with the buzz from Alice's game still fresh in everyone's minds - it did feel a bit of an anticlimax.

Sarah herself seemed quite bubbly and engaging, full of humour and personality so an entertaining game on that score

KP

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:24 am    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 15/03 Sarah
International Forums Moderator

Power5 wrote:
a lot of contestants have an amount they are very reluctant to risk if it is on offer, and that's how we define the target-driven player.

Put into the utility context, a point of inflection on their utility curves, one that tends to get magnified in the simplified utility analysis players will bring to the Crazy Chair (almost all of them without having ever heard the terminology, of course!).

Quote:
What's right for the majority isn't necessarily right for the contestant in the chair, so it might be the "right decision" for that person even if 99% of viewers would do the opposite

Quite. And it never ceases to amaze me how much of a variety there is in attitudes - though I suspect the majority of really informed decision-makers end up in a smaller spectrum probably roughly bounded by your risk preferences at one end and mine at the other. I've been called a big gambler by my mum in a DoND context for saying I'd turn down Jenny's eight-box offer on Boxing Day 2006... which, for the 99% of you who don't remember that (and I had to look it up myself) is this:

Quote:
10p
£1
£50
£100
£250

£5,000
£15,000
£250,000

Banker's offer:

£8,000

And at the same time James1978 has a friend who makes Wakey look like my mum.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

James1978

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:10 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 15/03 Sarah

KP wrote:
And at the same time James1978 has a friend who makes Wakey look like my mum.

I just told the said person about Doreen's game and I asked him what he'd deal on her last 5 and he said £90,000!! When I told him that the average was £50,000 and pennies and the banker hardly ever offers above the mean, he said "Yes, but you can gain more than you can lose"!!!! :D

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

[ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]