Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:09 pm Last visit was: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:09 pm

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 312 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

h2005

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:13 am    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice
Administrator & Global Moderator

Warnings: 0
MisterAl wrote:
...since I was in the audience for games 992 and 993 coming soon, I couldn't avoid hearing Noel going on and on about it...

Naughty Noel not taking his confidentiality agreement seriously! :smt011 :P

KP

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:14 am    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice
International Forums Moderator

And you, of course, have the best view of what Alice's game did to the wings...

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

beaker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:15 am    Author: beaker    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

Awesome stuff Alice, great game and I'm so pleased you won the big one. Although it was a bit of a no-brainer really to give back the £17.5k - it was still gutsy as the money would have helped you - I felt you went a little early but I bet you are glad you did now :-D

Just watched the show as I always Sky+ DOND and recently the Cheltenham festival has always overrun and when DOND comes on there was usually around 43 minutes left on the program but today it was 48 and when she dealt I thought she'd go on as there were still 19 minutes left on the show and they usually whip through the prove out rounds so I did suspect that 1p and £250k would be left and the gamble would be offered.

However, the longer she was taking in deciding to take it or not I thought she was going to No Deal the BG - and when she made the call and the call for no swap, it was too close to call about whether she would win it or not.

Delighted she did and totally surprised as there was nothing in the press to suggest it.

Well done Alice and if I see you out for the rugby on Saturday, you can buy me a pint :laughing

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:16 am    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

Best - Game - Ever!!!!!!!

Honestly i thought that was amazing. Alice was great though I think she nearly gave Derick a heart attack in round one :D

The cursed box round was inspired and there was plenty of tension throughout. There were some strange random patterns in there as well, I don't know if anyone else noticed but at one point Alice took out £500, £5,000, £5 & 50p in consecutive boxes. Not only that but the next four boxes were £1000, £100, £100,000 & £10.

Well i thought it was interesting :oops:

Anyway, did not see the Deal coming, and while i was half-expecting the Banker's Gamble i wasn't sure if Alice would take it. I know it looks like a no-brainer but you have to factor in a willingness to accept the 1p and I'm not sure i'd have the courage to do that myself.

Like others I hadn't heard any spoilers about this game, either here or in the wider community so when Noel opened the box i was literally watching through my fingers, i was so sure she was going to get the 1p. I haven't been so happy to be proved wrong since another Welsh girl won Big Brother last September.

So thrilled when the cannons went off, I don't care if it was manufactured (and you could argue the Banker was trying to manufacture a 1p win as there hasn't been one of those for a few months either) I just think it was a fantastic result.

The curse of the Hottie is well and truly vanquished now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So that's two £250,000 winners, both ladies under the age of 25 from Monmouth in Wales. I think i might emigrate, how much is a house in that part of Wales? :laughing

h2005

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:16 am    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice
Administrator & Global Moderator

KP wrote:
And you, of course, have the best view of what Alice's game did to the wings...

I do! It made everyone drunk!

StatsMan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:16 am    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

I'm not a big fan of how the banker's gamble was used either - it just didn't give enough of a tough decision to warrant a reward of £250k, for me. You should really have to earn the jackpot by more advanced courageousness than a normal game.

Laura said after her game that she'd have taken £50k, so £45k must have provided a tantalising decision for her (indeed it requires some degree of thought from all of us), whereas £17,500 was way short of the mark - you can't tell me she was going to accept this in live play, and in any case mathematically it was an elementary decision. I think had she gone on and accepted the 5-box offer, that would have been a much more logical place to utilise the banker's gamble, but it was misplaced here, and that takes a bit of the shine off the win away, which is a shame.

I'm not saying it wasn't exciting, just that fastracking these 'unique' moments may not be the show's best policy in the long term.

Biggest Pilgrim Game Wins:

Marlene - 21 July 2013: £118,000
Gill - 23 March 2014: £75,000
Tony - 24 April 2012: £72,000
Lee - 4 April 2013: £48,000
Tommy & Jen - 26 & 27 Mar 2013 :O - £45,000! :O :O

ciderduck

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:18 am    Author: ciderduck    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

Tom22 wrote:
YYEESSSS!!

Fkin hell!! Pardon my french. I would've been screaming the same at the screen had my godDamn timer not run out cos of the racing beforehand. I am emailing channel 4 with a strongly worded complaint right now about that. Absolutely livid. I missed it. Right b4 she took the gamble. It finished. I'm FURIOUS. Really. I cant believe i missed it!! Does anyone know any OTHER websites showing this APART from channel 4, cos i want bugger all to do with them right now. Ugh!! What a show! Congratulations. That took some balls that did. I just wish i'd seen it!!! Argh!!

EnglishDevil

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:21 am    Author: EnglishDevil    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

-- Points down at his sig ... nice one Alice! :smt023 :o
|
|
|
|
|
\/

(( and if case anyone is wondering my sig wasn't intended as a spoiler ... it's just my lucky number ... I never had a clue about the £250k win today until I watched the show. Swap was a tense moment ... I was beggin her not to swap! ha!! ))

£250k in box 8.

Last edited by EnglishDevil on Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Power5

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:21 am    Author: Power5    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

I think it was necessary to some extent in that 2 years and over 600 shows is too long for the top prize not to be won. And this was better than forcing it through a swap-only final offer or a final offer so low that it may as well have just been a swap! As I said on another thread I'd really like to see a "true won" £250k where neither the contestant nor the Banker makes poor decisions, but for that you need the perfect match-up of board, player and actually having the big one in their box or the one they swap for.

I think you might be surprised how many people would take £17,500 rather than a coin-flip between £250k and 1p. I'd take the gamble at those stakes but a lot of people I suspect would reluctantly take it, probably more with the 1p there than any other blue.

KP

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:22 am    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

PRobably true, including those who'd take far bigger gambles in other configurations... whereas I play the odds and the more I think about it, the less difference I see between this finish and Laura's!!

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

thundercat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:24 am    Author: thundercat    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

By the way what's the big deal about friday the 13th? 13th February was a friday, 13th March will be a friday and 13th November will be a friday :?

granitecitybino

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:35 am    Author: granitecitybino    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

ciderduck wrote:
Tom22 wrote:
YYEESSSS!!

Fkin hell!! Pardon my french. I would've been screaming the same at the screen had my godDamn timer not run out cos of the racing beforehand. I am emailing channel 4 with a strongly worded complaint right now about that. Absolutely livid. I missed it. Right b4 she took the gamble. It finished. I'm FURIOUS. Really. I cant believe i missed it!! Does anyone know any OTHER websites showing this APART from channel 4, cos i want bugger all to do with them right now. Ugh!! What a show! Congratulations. That took some balls that did. I just wish i'd seen it!!! Argh!!

Try the ilovedealornodeal website......or youtube.

ciderduck

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:39 am    Author: ciderduck    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

have emailed channel 4 to complain about the ************ racing over-run :smt011 bugger all will come of it i'm sure. the shower of .. that they are. :x :x :x :cry:

anyways....saw a banker's gamble coming a mile off had the conditions been right, what with all the talk of adrenaline, risk taking and the like, but never in a million years would i have envisaged the actual circumstances of it!! wow :shock: arent i glad i didnt come on this site before i'd tried to watch it. that would've really made me as sick as a pig (like when i accidentally opened the daily :smt019 mirror all those years ago and they'd spoilt laura's win for me).

wow. still havent calmed down yet. would've shouted the house down if i'd seen it properly. for now, my guts are just wrenched from being so annoyed about missing the LAST TEN MINUTES!!!! do i need help? I'm sure everyone else on this site would've just wanted to vomit had the same happen to them!!!

and there's our david right in the middle of it.....jammy so n so :lol:

ciderduck

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:41 am    Author: ciderduck    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

granitecitybino wrote:
ciderduck wrote:
Tom22 wrote:
YYEESSSS!!

Try the ilovedealornodeal website......or youtube.

thanks granite, about to watch it now on youtube, thank god for that....i might be able to sleep later now!!

ciderduck

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:47 am    Author: ciderduck    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

oh heck, i'm getting all teary now!! :oops: yyyyyyyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaYYYY!!!!

beaker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:49 am    Author: beaker    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

James1978 wrote:
Just another thought - I never realised Alice was from the same place as Laura until I watched the end again on YouTube (I never noticed on the original viewing as I was shaking!!) - she might have been the same age (24) as well, she looked in her early 20s so possible though she's probably a bit younger as she's still at uni?

Still I expect every early 20s female from Monmouth to start applying! :D

The difference being that Laura had actually moved to Gloucester when she won

Power5

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:51 am    Author: Power5    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

Yes, you obviously have to come from there originally rather than live there, so maybe the coincidence won't lead to house prices in Monmouth rocketing and going against the national trend...

croftrock

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:52 am    Author: croftrock    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

StatsMan wrote:
I'm not a big fan of how the banker's gamble was used either - it just didn't give enough of a tough decision to warrant a reward of £250k, for me. You should really have to earn the jackpot by more advanced courageousness than a normal game.

Laura said after her game that she'd have taken £50k, so £45k must have provided a tantalising decision for her (indeed it requires some degree of thought from all of us), whereas £17,500 was way short of the mark - you can't tell me she was going to accept this in live play, and in any case mathematically it was an elementary decision. I think had she gone on and accepted the 5-box offer, that would have been a much more logical place to utilise the banker's gamble, but it was misplaced here, and that takes a bit of the shine off the win away, which is a shame.

I'm not saying it wasn't exciting, just that fastracking these 'unique' moments may not be the show's best policy in the long term.

She did. And that's the critical point you're missing.

Now I know, of course, that what you meant was, if it was live play and 1p v £250K she wouldn't take £17,500 as an offer - but the banker's gamble is NOT the same as a live play offer. The critical difference is that an offer is an attempt to find an unknown financial breaking point whereas the BG is an offer where that breaking point has already been found and broken. As long as the lowest amount on the board is the same when the BG is offered as when the deal was made, it cannot possibly be "misplaced" and it will always be a highly satisfactorily difficult decision for the player in the chair.

crazyeddie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:59 am    Author: crazyeddie    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

DanJudge wrote:
I don't think Alice met Michael. I may be wrong, but they seemed too far apart. She was a sensible girl. She wasn't swayed by anyones show, that's a guarantee.

I should have been clearer. Had Michael accepted the gamble and won £100,000, I think Alice would have been less likely to have received the gamble offer. The banker was, in my view, attempting to push how far he could risk a large amount of money, but not have the player accept the opportunity.

Now, it's clear that £17,500 would be an amount that many people would risk, myself included. However, there is a different psychology after already dealing, as your mind is relieved of the pressure of the show, and is starting to think of what can be done with the money.

All that has to be undone to accept the gamble, which is why there have been so few players accepting it, even though they may have gone-on in live play. That's what the banker was exploiting in Michael's game, and after that success, was hoping (maybe naïvely) that Alice would do as well.

DanJudge wrote:
In fact, I can't remember any player saying they changed their tactics based on other shows.

That's an interesting comment. While Alice didn't know about Michael's game, she benefited from his decisions, as the game in turn influenced the banker to make a costly mistake.

To my mind, the banker is the only one who can change the outcome of what happens, everything else being random, and that the players role is to get the banker to make a mistake by offering too much, or accept the random choosings of luck and whims of the banker on a given day.

I thought that watching other games while on the show would influence tactics, as players would work out what strategies other players had tried, and adapt them. Maybe I was wrong? :?

CrazyChair

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:09 am    Author: CrazyChair    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

beaker wrote:
Although it was a bit of a no-brainer really to give back the £17.5k

To be honest, I didn't think the banker's gamble was a no brainer. £17,500 is a lot of money to risk on the flip of a coin, especially when she could have ended up with a penny. I enjoyed Alice's game today because I didn't know the result. I had been informed that something special was going to happen on March the 12th, but I didn't know what. Many congratulations to Alice on her £250,000 win. To those who managed to keep their mouths shut about her win, thank you!

[ 312 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]