Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 12:12 am Last visit was: Fri May 03, 2024 12:12 am

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close soon on 3 May 2024. More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 312 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 16  Next

James1978

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:30 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

Warnings: 0
I actually thought Richard's game was more exciting than that. ;-)

I can't pretend I didnt have an inkling that the biggie got won again as there were subtle hints on the spoiler thread, but there's absolutely no way on earth I ever thought it would be won on the banker's gamble!! I thought the extra 5 mins advertised and the speed at which the first two parts went through all pointed to a massive finish, so when she dealt with about 20 mins left (I was watching the More 4 repeat), I was absolutely astounded, than tried to work out the possibilities of the banker's gamble due to the time (the only one I actually thought would produce it was £20k/£15k but that wouldn't need 10 mins build-up!!). £35k/blue would be a no-brainer to refuse and it couldn't possibly be £250k/blue. I even don't think it would have been offered had it been any other blue apart from the penny!!

Once she was offered it, I knew she'd take it. I think almost anyone would unless you needed £17,500 for a life-saving operation or someone would kill you if you didn't pay them that money within a certain time period!

So the swap was the agonising decision, there's absolutely no way on earth I could see anyone swapping there, lucky number on the wings or not. If you gave away £250,000 that was sitting in front of you the whole time, for 1p, I think I'd be suicidal. They even played the same background music of when Orry swapped!!!

Her lucky number 3 which container the lucky number WAS lucky for her - if she'd left either of the other last two boxes left on the wings near the end, she'd have had a red with the quartter-mill and a proveout offer of about £100k and Noel being unbearable.....so Box 3 actually allowed her to get the £250k in a funny way!!

So pleased it happened to her anyway becuase she was well fit - no more curse of the hottie!! :) :shock:

But - I hope this is the only time this ever gets done, I agree with Alex. It'll kill the game if anyone who's dealt anything beforehand will expect the banker's gamble of power 5 v peanuts. Especially £250k v peanuts. It could mean more deals like Richard's or several others from the summer, really don;t want to be back there again! :shock:

But absolutely well done Alice, you're a star!

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

Last edited by James1978 on Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

emeraldangel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:31 pm    Author: emeraldangel    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

dond_rules wrote:
Psychic_Sarah wrote:
The £250,000 is in box number 8!!!

Love the edit Sarah :)

Haha I know :-D

Knew I wasn't going to get away with it! :laughing

KP

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:33 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice
International Forums Moderator

James, that's a point - because this was won in an unconventional way, this will have an unconventional effect on the other 21! Laura's was won by No Dealing six times, and most of the other contestants seemed to decide they had to do the same, and even the ones who didn't nearly always took a risk I wouldn't even have considered!!

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Joey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:39 pm    Author: Joey    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

Without a doubt, that was a thrilling climax to what would have been a relatively run of the mill game otherwise.

However, and I know this goes against the general celebratory nature of this thread, I do feel slightly cheated as a viewer.

In my mind, a £250,000 win should be earned. By that, I mean having to have the courage to turn down huge offers to get to the jackpot. How much more exciting would it have been if a player had to turn down a 5 box offer of £30-40,000 with the chance that they could still win a blue?

Having said that, many congratulations to Alice on her win. I just wish it had come about through conventional gameplay.

Psychic_Sarah

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:44 pm    Author: Psychic_Sarah    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

emeraldangel wrote:
dond_rules wrote:
Psychic_Sarah wrote:
The £250,000 is in box number 8!!!

Love the edit Sarah :)

Haha I know :-D

Knew I wasn't going to get away with it! :laughing

oops used the wrong username

richie4eva1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:59 pm    Author: richie4eva1    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

James1978 wrote:
But - I hope this is the only time this ever gets done, I agree with Alex. It'll kill the game if anyone who's dealt anything beforehand will expect the banker's gamble of power 5 v peanuts. Especially £250k v peanuts. It could mean more deals like Richard's or several others from the summer, really don;t want to be back there again! :shock:

Have to agree there

If I could offer a few words to the players right now, they would go along the lines of:

Please keep your targets in perspective, don't get carried away assuming the banker will do the same in your game as what happened with Alice....The banker will be hurting like hell right now and will be like a wounded animal and there's nothing more dangerous than a wounded animal....Savour Alice's win by all means but play the game that's true to yourself and don't get reckless

And I'm not saying Alice was reckless, far from it but I just don't want to see loads of players crashing and burning and going away with peanuts

You've been banker bashed
"Regrettably when he rings, he is laughing his designer socks off"

Psychic_Sarah

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:10 pm    Author: Psychic_Sarah    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

Quote:
And I'm not saying Alice was reckless, far from it but I just don't want to see loads of players crashing and burning and going away with peanuts

I agree, I remember Craig's game so well when he played it the day after Laura's! :(

KP

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:25 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

And judging by their later actions most of the rest of the wings didn't... I think some of them believed in you too much as well but you didn't really have much say in that!!

Players must play their own game. They cannot let the feeling of Alice's win cause them to blindly chase the big money, nor can they assume Alice's route to the big money is going to open up again.

In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

h2005

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:27 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice
Administrator & Global Moderator

KP wrote:
Players must play their own game. They cannot let the feeling of Alice's win cause them to blindly chase the big money, nor can they assume Alice's route to the big money is going to open up again.

I see what you mean there - players could either throw caution to the wind in the hope of winning big like Alice, or they could play extra cautiously in the hope that they'll get a generous banker's gamble. So surely those two options are likely to cancel each other out, resulting in no change in attitude? I suppose we'll have to wait and see.

James1978

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:34 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

Just another thought - I never realised Alice was from the same place as Laura until I watched the end again on YouTube (I never noticed on the original viewing as I was shaking!!) - she might have been the same age (24) as well, she looked in her early 20s so possible though she's probably a bit younger as she's still at uni?

Still I expect every early 20s female from Monmouth to start applying! :D

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

KP

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:43 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

h2005 wrote:
KP wrote:

I see what you mean there - players could either throw caution to the wind in the hope of winning big like Alice, or they could play extra cautiously in the hope that they'll get a generous banker's gamble. So surely those two options are likely to cancel each other out, resulting in no change in attitude? I suppose we'll have to wait and see.

Or various players will do one of the above causing unprecedented gameplay variety? :D

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:45 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

What a game indeed!

The £17,500 offer was a pivotal one; either it was going to be a good round to follow or a bad one...and for her it would have been a good one. That £30,000 + extras proveout offer would have had the rest of us out for sure.

The Banker's Gamble was inevitable on that finish - I hate to sound like everyone's favourite banned member but any sane person would have been lynched on here for not taking that Gamble...even without knowing the outcome I'd have seen the incentive to go for it - the first person to attempt the jackpot since Laura, and it paid off!

Now the killer question is...will it be followed by a trainwreck this time too? Here's hoping Friday the 13th does NOT provide said trainwreck...

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

rico7

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:53 pm    Author: rico7    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

The banker's gamble is one of the best innovations on DOND because it adds interest to the proveout.
I think we will see many more banker's gambles being offered but I find it hard to believe that
we'll ever see one more generous.

There are several ironies in the game:

1) The disappointment of the 50K going first box
2) Subsequent disappointments of taking out 75K and 100K
3) A relatively cautious deal at 8 box
4) The proveout going wrong for Alice causing her noticeable distress!
5) A non-Wakeyist player playing a conservative game winning £250,000 ! :shock:

Hopefully we will see another quarter millionaire through similar generosity
from the banker! :D

Last edited by rico7 on Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jonny

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:55 pm    Author: jonny    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

Well, I knew it was going to happen, seeing as it was referred to by Mark Olver at the studios when I went in February... :P

Bravo, Alice!

23rd, 24th and 25th of July 2008 (Adam, Helen, William) recorded 7th April 2008

18th, 19th and 20th May 2009 (Cath, Sean, Lynne) recorded 4th February 2009

10th, 11th and 13th December 2009 recorded 4th June 2009

h2005

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:01 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice
Administrator & Global Moderator

alexandercbrown wrote:
Firstly Noel, the undeal was offered in Jess's game

Didn't one of the "Christmas star" players get it too with the £250k in the final 2? Can't remember his name - Ian or Alan I think.

Simon F

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:04 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

Wow. I got home to be told that today's DOND was unique and whilst watching I heard the word "stupid" mumbled so I feared the worst (in fact the "stupid" remark came because my family members were convinced she had the 1p because they thought I'd have known about the £250k win - which I didn't)

The irony of today's game is that had she taken the risk at 8 box, in my mind she would have probably taken the 5 box offer and I don't think she would have taken the banker's gamble for £30k and the stunt package. In the end, her first act of caution brought about the chance for her to have the agonising decision at the end.

I think that lucky number or not, it would take a player with balls of steel to take the swap with the £250k in play.

Thanks for everyone for not spoiling the game today (although had I not seen the show today and then wanted to read parts of the forum, I'd have been annoyed to see the front page today).

Simon F

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:06 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

h2005 wrote:
alexandercbrown wrote:
Firstly Noel, the undeal was offered in Jess's game

Didn't one of the "Christmas star" players get it too with the £250k in the final 2? Can't remember his name - Ian or Alan I think.

Yep but that was £71k on a £3k/£250k finish which is a completely different kettle of fish.

Power5

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:08 pm    Author: Power5    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

James1978 wrote:
Just another thought - I never realised Alice was from the same place as Laura until I watched the end again on YouTube (I never noticed on the original viewing as I was shaking!!) - she might have been the same age (24) as well, she looked in her early 20s so possible though she's probably a bit younger as she's still at uni?

21 according to the various online news reports.

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:08 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

Exactly! :lol:

Something I've just realised upon watching the repeat: the very moment it all kicked off, photographs were taken! So in a fair state to the show to immortalise the moment it happened, I reckon the moment she confirmed she wanted to win her box contents, the producers were told she had it. That's my theory at least :)

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

thundercat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:09 pm    Author: thundercat    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

Tom22 wrote:
Oooh hello... too much to risk though isnt it?

You serious? £232,500 gain against a £17,500 loss.. :shock: Its a clear cut 'deal' of the bankers gamble!

Would anyone here seriously accept £17,500 on a 1p/£250,000 finish? People thought that sort of sum is insulting for a 1p/£100,000 board so when you add £150,000 to the red value surely the offers far far more insulting!

The game itself was pretty naff considering i had it spoilt for me.. there was no build up, no cheering before the box was opened, total silence and a pretty short ending. Mehhh!

Last edited by thundercat on Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[ 312 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 16  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]