Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 10:54 pm Last visit was: Sat May 04, 2024 10:54 pm

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close on 21 June 2024 (extended deadline). More info here.

Deal or No Deal will return for a new series later in 2024.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 312 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 16  Next

h2005

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:57 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice
Administrator & Global Moderator

Warnings: 0
I should point out that I'm not superstitious about Friday 13th, but plenty of people are!!

garylq

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:59 pm    Author: garylq    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

Dozens of forum members must have known about todays win, so I thank you all for not posting a spoiler........... I hate money spoilers :smt023

dond_rules

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:04 pm    Author: dond_rules    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

Psychic_Sarah wrote:
The £250,000 is in box number 8!!!

Love the edit Sarah :)

Skyline

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:08 pm    Author: Skyline    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice
Forum Games Moderator

Done

h2005

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:09 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

It was also nice to see today's episode wasn't reduced in length like the others have been this week (due to Cheltenham). Noel also didn't do an end of show speech to camera again!

alexandercbrown

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:17 pm    Author: alexandercbrown    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

I've seen the end now but I have 2 points to make.

Firstly Noel, the undeal was offered in Jess's game

and.... why was the banker's gamble not offered in Carla's game? I assumed from that that the undeal would never be offered in this situation again, not on an extreme no brainer . :?

Really interesting to watch anyway, to see the confetti going off and how they made it shorter than Laura's ending.

travis P

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:26 pm    Author: travis P    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

h2005 wrote:
It was also nice to see today's episode wasn't reduced in length like the others have been this week (due to Cheltenham). Noel also didn't do an end of show speech to camera again!

It was also nice nothing was leaked to the press and media. Full applause goes to Glenn Hugill, Richard Hague and the crew down there to make sure nothing got released into the open. Some knew the result, including myself but I toyed everybody at work today on the basis "something unique will happen" and nobody twigged it would be the second £250,000 winner. Somebody suggested someone would keep a power 5 in live play.

At least Endemol West & Channel 4 had the balls to keep today's show under wraps for over three months unlike the gutless lot at Endemol USA and NBC's constant "Yes, someone will win $1 Million" in their promos.

granitecitybino

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:33 pm    Author: granitecitybino    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

h2005 wrote:
richie4eva1 wrote:
Will be interesting to see in what direction the banker goes from tomorrow

Will he do what he did the day after Laura's game and offer swap after swap, because god help the player who has to follow that game and the best of luck to them whatever the banker pulls out of the hat tomorrow

Also tomorrow is Friday the 13th. What a day to play on!

Would I be right in saying that todays game was the first of 3 games to be filmed on the same day ? If so can only imagine what the atmosphere will be like in tomorrows game given it would only have been maybe a couple of hours in real time after todays game....Friday the 13th or not.

h2005

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:57 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

A couple of interesting news articles about Alice's win are available here:

http://www.clickliverpool.com/news/nati ... show-.html

http://www.whatsontv.co.uk/drama/tv-new ... -deal/5249

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:58 pm    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

There is one thing on my mind right now with regards to this game - I wonder what our friend KP will think of it. He'll most likely have a very interesting reply, no doubt.

alexandercbrown

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:01 pm    Author: alexandercbrown    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

I don't know but ... will this be the death of the show as we know it? ... will the undeal become permanent/expected?

Power5

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:09 pm    Author: Power5    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

Well I never expected that in the slightest! If there was a spoiler thread on here which mentioned it I must have missed it, or dismissed it as just made-up crap like most of the other ones!

I was sure I would have heard about it if it was going to happen, so thought she would lose her nerve and reject the Banker's Gamble, and when she took it that she was heading in only one direction and that was the 1p club! So well done to H/David and Daniel in particular for keeping it quiet, and to everyone else who knew as well...

I suppose if there was going to be a second winner this was the way it was likely to happen - somewhat engineered by the producers but it could easily have gone the other way. And I'm sure there's plenty of people who wouldn't have taken even that gamble to potentially lose £17,500, so well done to Alice for having the courage to go for it!

Strangely enough for some reason I was thinking earlier about the fact that nobody since Laura had actually gone to the end and taken a shot at the £250k (Morris and Kirsty did so unsuccessfully before her) - didn't think I'd see it again in months or years never mind a few hours! And the fact she comes from the same place as Laura is a remarkable coincidence as well!

mallard2007

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:15 pm    Author: mallard2007    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

What an amazing show :D I had no idea it was coming, so thanks to David and everyone else for keeping it quiet.

although judging from those newspaper links posted above, it seems they were all MADE to keep quiet lol :lol:

it would've been great to have been in the audience or on the wings for it!

FABULOUS, well done Alice! :D :banana:

Brick

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:17 pm    Author: Brick    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

There were some very strong-yet-subtle hints dropped in the spoiler forum by non-contestants, which gave me the idea that was happening today.

Would never have seen it coming in the way it did though - I was at work and snuck onto this forum while it was on, and a lot of page refreshes later, went home with a smile. Just caught the last 5 minutes on more4 too, just as she was about to deal the BG. The end celebration must have gone on for some time, it seemed a bit heavily-edited!

Either way, well done Alice - as much as the BG seemed a no-brainer, £17,499.99 is a lot to throw away even with that much more to gain! Great to have a second £250k winner at last. Hope we don't have to wait so long for the next one!

daniel4389

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:17 pm    Author: daniel4389    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

Haha, I got a Facebook update about someone winning £250,000 and assumed it had happened today in recording terms and they'd just given up any attempts at keeping it a secret...then I come here and find out it happened today on TV! I knew I should have kept watching...

Michael DeVere

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:17 pm    Author: Michael DeVere    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

kestral wrote:
DanJudge wrote:
Did they overrun into the next show to get a bit of added advertising to whatever the next show was?

If so, clever little trick Channel 4!! ha ha ha

There was also a nice link into the Paul O'Grady show, as he started the show on the phone and was pretending to chat to Alice and was offering her financial advice and offering to invest it and look after it for her :lol:

Yeah I saw that >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab4SieTLTfI <<

They must have told Paul O'Grady they were cutting a few minutes from his show today (which is pre-recorded today). Strange that the Channel 4 announcer kept saying Paul was on at 5pm despite on the listings saying it was 5:05pm.

Today's DOND episode ended at just after 5:02pm with Paul starting a couple of minutes later.

daniel123

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:20 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice
Forum Games Moderator

garylq wrote:
Dozens of forum members must have known about todays win, so I thank you all for not posting a spoiler........... I hate money spoilers :smt023

I know it's hardly my place, but judging from their replies I'd say they didn't have the foggiest....

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

KP

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:21 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice
International Forums Moderator

Well. What can you say about this game that hasn't been said already.

I'll try...

* In an incredible irony, the first £250k winner since Laura has come before the first person to play to the end with £250k in play since Laura. How's that for unlikely?
* The initial Deal wasn't stupid, but it was less than half the average, and I think if someone mathematical had pointed that out she'd have played on. I would've been unsure, and probably taken it if it were twenty grand, and no I am not a targetist.
* With the initial cash-plus-dream proveout offer there was a massive feeling of guilt-tripping the player, and I expected £stupid at two-box to complete that guilt-trip, especially given the player's background allowed a 'courage' attack to be more televisually obvious.
* Or would've done had I not heard the spoiler, anyway.
* Of course it was the right decision. My strategy on all-or-peanuts is to be prepared to risk up to, but not above, the sum of money that's half as good to me as the biggest sum available. For me, on a £250k/peanuts finish, that's in the £40k bracket. It's certainly much more than £17,500.
* But Alice still had to resist the 'endowment effect', as us economists call the lure of having an already-attained certainty, and did so with evidently no hesitation.
* Dan's view of the swap is brilliant (active v passive decision). I'd always swap as I see it as tantamount to picking your own box, which in turn I associate with other versions of DoND I enjoy more than this one.
* The Banker who appeared in the proveout was apparently the same one who was in charge of Lloyds when they bought HBOS - taking a wildly unnecessary and poorly judged risk on a vulnerable asset in the hope of gaining domination in the future, only for it to blow up in his face.
* No questions except one - what will this do to the other 21 players? We know what the witnesses to Laura's game did next.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

cookie_monster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:23 pm    Author: cookie_monster    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

I shall be watching this episode online later. ;)

StatsMan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:27 pm    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

Er... I am in a complete state of shock at the moment - I did not hear about a 12th March £250,000 winner whilst I was down there earlier this week, so that was a complete surprise! When she took the gamble, I almost resigned myself to seeing 1p being revealed, and I nearly fell off the chair when £250,000 was inside! Having that finish made the win almost as exciting as it possibly can be!

Full marks to the crew, contestants and audience members keeping extra quiet about this one - it made it a lot better than Laura's game, not knowing (although that was still an amazing game). Of course, anything I do know will also be kept quiet.

Biggest Pilgrim Game Wins:

Marlene - 21 July 2013: £118,000
Gill - 23 March 2014: £75,000
Tony - 24 April 2012: £72,000
Lee - 4 April 2013: £48,000
Tommy & Jen - 26 & 27 Mar 2013 :O - £45,000! :O :O

[ 312 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 16  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]