Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:30 pm Last visit was: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:30 pm

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close soon on 3 May 2024. More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 312 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 16  Next

granitecitybino

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:29 pm    Author: granitecitybino    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

Warnings: 0
DanJudge wrote:
alexandercbrown wrote:
DanJudge wrote:
I don't know if it came across in the edit, but she told me that when the BG was offered, the decision to take it was a no brainer and that the only real decision was whether to take the swap and this was a tough decision (how often do you take a 50-50 shot for either 1p or £250k???).

We'd talked about the benefit of the swap before, so I assumed that she would turn it down (lucky number or not), but she told me I had to watch it to find out what she actually did swap.

I bet she's glad she didn't follow her "lucky number" and if she did, I bet it wouldn't be described as that for long, ha ha ha.

Good point about the swap Daniel but I wonder what would have been offered had she played until 2 box?

I'll guess we'll never know. I know for a fact it would be low though. They wanted a second jackpot winner, and they got it.

Laura was £45k on a £3k/£250k so would probably have been about £30k.

h2005

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:29 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice
Administrator & Global Moderator

I expect this show will get repeated many times like Laura's did. It's typical then, that the one show where I make a muck-up and almost drop the box when hugging the player, has to be in this show!

Congratulations to Alice - a lovely girl, and as she was one of the ones I arrived in Bristol with at the start of our time on the show, I felt quite a close link to her!!!

I was genuinely shocked when the banker's gamble was offered and I knew it'd create a bit of discussion on here. It was an amazingly generous banker's gamble (easily the most generous ever) and she just had to take it, so it was great that she did. A potential loss of £17,499.99 against a potential gain of £232,500 on a coin-flip was an obvious decision really. However, I would've respected Alice had she not taken the gamble as £17,500 is still a huge sum of money when compared to 1p. Although £250,000 is considerably larger!

I don't really think the claims of it being "manufactured" can be substantiated to a great extent as it's not as if Alice was forced to either swap or no swap. She had a free choice and there was a 50-50 chance that she was going to get 1p or £250,000. And quite frankly, who cares about the maths, stats and so on when you get a game like this? The show has waited over 2 years for another jackpot winner, and we've got one at last.

I felt extremely privileged to be part of this show as it was such a historic moment. I'll never forget the moment when those confetti cannons went off. Again, a huge CONGRATULATIONS to Alice - the second quarter millionaire!!!!

dond_rules

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:29 pm    Author: dond_rules    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

If I had one question for Alice it would be why didn't she swap for Box 3?

Was it because she couldnt live with the guilt of swapping away Box 8 because it was her game or the fact their was too much going on at the time to even think straight either way I found it strange that she kept Box 8!

But well done for making the right call :smt023

Last edited by dond_rules on Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:29 pm    Author: Mark    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

alexandercbrown wrote:
DanJudge wrote:
has there ever been a 1p - £250,000 finish before (live play or otherwise). My brain says it is a 231/1 shot for any given 2 box final pairing, so it would be expected to have happened maybe 4 or 5 times.......

yeah but the player had dealt for 15K on a 4 blues/250K board.

That was when it was the biggest Banker's victory.

richie4eva1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:29 pm    Author: richie4eva1    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

Will be interesting to see in what direction the banker goes from tomorrow

Will he do what he did the day after Laura's game and offer swap after swap, because god help the player who has to follow that game and the best of luck to them whatever the banker pulls out of the hat tomorrow

You've been banker bashed
"Regrettably when he rings, he is laughing his designer socks off"

Last edited by richie4eva1 on Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skyline

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:30 pm    Author: Skyline    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice
Forum Games Moderator

Mark wrote:
alexandercbrown wrote:
DanJudge wrote:
has there ever been a 1p - £250,000 finish before (live play or otherwise). My brain says it is a 231/1 shot for any given 2 box final pairing, so it would be expected to have happened maybe 4 or 5 times.......

No, Tolleck a few months ago sold £250,000 for £9,000.

Mark

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:31 pm    Author: Mark    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

Skyline wrote:
Mark wrote:
alexandercbrown wrote:
DanJudge wrote:

No, Tolleck a few months ago sold £250,000 for £9,000.

Yes but it was way before that as I remember watching it.

Last edited by Mark on Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

75KLynne

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:31 pm    Author: 75KLynne    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

I was so glad that Alice kept box 8. It was lucky for me. That was one fantastic show and I hope Alice enjoys every penny.

chrisjoyce87

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:33 pm    Author: chrisjoyce87    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

h2005 wrote:
I expect this show will get repeated many times like Laura's did. It's typical then, that the one show where I make a muck-up and almost drop the box when hugging the player, has to be in this show!

Congratulations to Alice - a lovely girl, and as she was one of the ones I arrived in Bristol with at the start of our time on the show, I felt quite a close link to her!!!

I was genuinely shocked when the banker's gamble was offered and I knew it'd create a bit of discussion on here. It was an amazingly generous banker's gamble (easily the most generous ever) and she just had to take it, so it was great that she did. A potential loss of £17,499.99 against a potential gain of £232,500 on a coin-flip was an obvious decision really. However, I would've respected Alice had she not taken the gamble as £17,500 is still a huge sum of money when compared to 1p. Although £250,000 is considerably larger!

I don't really think the claims of it being "manufactured" can be substantiated to a great extent as it's not as if Alice was forced to either swap or no swap. She had a free choice and there was a 50-50 chance that she was going to get 1p or £250,000. And quite frankly, who cares about the maths, stats and so on when you get a game like this? The show has waited over 2 years for another jackpot winner, and we've got one at last.

I felt extremely privileged to be part of this show as it was such a historic moment. I'll never forget the moment when those confetti cannons went off. Again, a huge CONGRATULATIONS to Alice - the second quarter millionaire!!!!

I agree with you david, lucky you getting best seat!!!!!

killersbee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:33 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

Oh yes, I have just noticed

I feel sorry for any of the other contestants who has to play tomorrow :lol:

Skyline

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:34 pm    Author: Skyline    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice
Forum Games Moderator

Haha, you took the 555555th post killersbee :bluelol :bluelol

Michael DeVere

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:38 pm    Author: Michael DeVere    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

Well done Alice on becoming the second £250,000 winner :-D

Though I knew there was a £250,000 winner today I didn't know who or how.

richie4eva1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:39 pm    Author: richie4eva1    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

h2005 wrote:

Can't even imagine what it must have been like for everyone in the wings, David, when she dealed the Bankers Gamble

Everyone's nerves must have been in absolute shreds before Box 8 was opened and well done you for witnessing a VERY unique moment first hand in DOND history :)

Agree with what you say about putting the maths and the stats to one side just for today, I think it's irrelevant given what has happened :D

You've been banker bashed
"Regrettably when he rings, he is laughing his designer socks off"

killersbee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:44 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

Skyline wrote:
Haha, you took the 555555th post killersbee :bluelol :bluelol

YAY!!! :D :lol:

garylq

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:46 pm    Author: garylq    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

YES! YES! YES!

I have just watched todays show and I can hardly type. Totally awesome, what a show, two at last! Well overdue. I hadn't heard or read any spoilers, so I had no idea what was going to happen.

Alice just had to take that bankers gamble, it was incredibly generous, though I was dreading her box containing the 1p.

DOND has been on its best run ever over the last couple of months in my opinion.

If you ever read this Alice................................Well done, congratulations!!!!

Last edited by garylq on Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anthony

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:46 pm    Author: Anthony    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

I loved todays game
it did get emotional at the end for some people
Congratulations Alice,Fantastic game!

DanJudge

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:48 pm    Author: DanJudge    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

Quote:

I don't think anyone thinks the win was manufactured completely, because as you say, there was still a swap available, but it was definitely meant to tempt the player to take it with it's huge generosity, but Like I say, whatever the reasoning for the offer, it's immaterial. I'm just glad she took it and won it.

Quote:
If I had one question for Alice it would be why didn't she swap for Box 3?

I chatted to Alice and a load of other players about the merits of swapping while I was still in Bristol (theres a lot of tactic talk down there). When I saw her again after her win, we had another chat. Basically, I always said that taking a swap has absolutely no odds advantage in a game that is random, but there are different consequences by taking a swap over a no swap.

If you take a swap, you are making an active decision to choose were the money is, you aren't improving or decreasing your chances, but YOU are making the decision. This could then be a decision that may haunt you forever if it goes wrong. However, if you no swap, this is a passive decision. It allows you to stay with the random selection that was given to you by selecting a ball out of a bag. this way, if the decision goes bad, then you can rationalize it easier, because it wasn't in her box anyway. The bad loss can be palmed off as a bit of bad luck, not an active decision.

In both cases, a win is not treat with any analysis of why a decision was made, just a lot of celebration that it went well! but in a loss, I believe that a swap will be treat with more mental anguish than a no swap.

I will say that the only player who can believe and follow through with this logic is someone who does not believe that their lucky number is anything other than an arbitrary number in this game. Someone who believes in numbers having a significance are more likely to have the opposite outlook and if they didn't take the chance to open their lucky box would be a more regretful decision than to take some random box that was assigned to them.

But the choice of a swap or no swap is based on the players thoughts on what the boxes mean. Alice was in the camp of "the numbers are arbitrary", so she no swapped, as I expected she would.

Last edited by DanJudge on Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ell

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:49 pm    Author: ell    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

h2005 wrote:

I was so pleased for you that you were there for Alice's show. it made it an even better show knowing one of the biggest fans was on the wings to see the confetti well done David :-D

KabukiDreamBoy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:54 pm    Author: KabukiDreamBoy    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice

how did you know it was the 555,555th post? I can't see any post numbers on the messages...

h2005

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:57 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 12/03 Alice
Administrator & Global Moderator

richie4eva1 wrote:
Will be interesting to see in what direction the banker goes from tomorrow

Will he do what he did the day after Laura's game and offer swap after swap, because god help the player who has to follow that game and the best of luck to them whatever the banker pulls out of the hat tomorrow

Also tomorrow is Friday the 13th. What a day to play on!

[ 312 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 16  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]