Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:18 am Last visit was: Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:18 am

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

muttleee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:11 am    Author: muttleee    Post subject:

Warnings: 0
bramernic wrote:
You all seem to be having a problem with the seal coming off, but it's really quite simple. We've been told that Tom got a bit excited and ended up knocking his box up in the air (which explains how it got over the wooden lip). Just like toast always falls butter side down, it's most likely that the box would have fallen top down. The seal sticks up over the top, so when it hit the floor the whole weight of the box would have been pushing on the seal. I'm sure that that would be enough to break the seal.

Hmmmm. I didn't see the show so I only have the video clip to go on but this just doesn't add up to me. First of all I find it hard to imagine that you could accidentally hit the box with enough force to physically lift it over the lip. How could you knock something "in the air" when it's sitting on a flat surface in front of you? You would have to get underneath it somehow, which is clearly highly unlikely to happen accidentally, no matter *how* clumsy you are. Second of all, even if you did somehow manage to do that, I don't think the seal is so weak that it would break in such a way that it would let the lid flip right open like that. It just doesn't seem right.

Still, I don't know why anyone would want to open a box deliberately, least of all in a very promising game like the one Mass seemed to have going. The whole thing is very mysterious..!

Maud

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:16 am    Author: Maud    Post subject:

MichaelC wrote:

I'd be interested to know what Massimo's comment of "That's a lovely gesture, thanks" was about during his off-screen chat with Noel. That part doesn't fit in with the visual of the boxes coming back, and it didn't sound to be in context with the rest of what Noel was saying......

Cheers

Michael

I was wondering what was happening there, it sounded outta place to me

muttleee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:26 am    Author: muttleee    Post subject:

bramernic wrote:
You all seem to be having a problem with the seal coming off, but it's really quite simple. We've been told that Tom got a bit excited and ended up knocking his box up in the air (which explains how it got over the wooden lip). Just like toast always falls butter side down, it's most likely that the box would have fallen top down. The seal sticks up over the top, so when it hit the floor the whole weight of the box would have been pushing on the seal. I'm sure that that would be enough to break the seal.

Two questions arise from this:

How do you accidentally lift something in the air when it's sitting on a flat surface in front of you? I don't see that happening, no matter *how* clumsy you are.

If the box fell top down, how did it end up on its base in the video clip that was posted (which his all I've seen of this show sadly)?

It all seems a bit odd to me. I have no idea why anyone would want to open a box deliberately - especially in a game as good as the one Mass seemed to have going. Yet it seems too weird to be totally accidental. Another of life's great mysteries. :-) Is no one here in the audience? Surely someone must have seen what happened first hand?

wakey1512

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:41 am    Author: wakey1512    Post subject:

On the footage you see a production crew guy flip the box lid back up. I couldnt see it on my computer screen but could you guys see what value it was?

My dislike club: The number 3

Panda

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:25 am    Author: Panda    Post subject:

Disgusting how the boxes were redistrubited, they should have made the contestants draw lots, as obviously the IA wouldnt put £250,000 in Massimo's box.

However top marks to Noel and the production team - handled it superbly and deserve full credit.

Very sorry for Massimo - from the footage I have seen (the .avi link and the Youtube link) he was very nervous when it happened and after.

Will be watching More4 tonight as I assume a lot of people will be...

greeny

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:55 am    Author: greeny    Post subject:

I think the box 4 thing was put in at the last minute. They didn't intend to put it in and it would have looked suspicious if all the players had changed boxes.

Crispy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:36 am    Author: Crispy    Post subject:

Zeddie wrote:
Oh, I just watched the clip again, and one of the woman told Mass that his box would stay the same. I thought they reshuffled his box too.

EDIT: Noel says that his box is gunna change, then the woman says it's not, then it gets taken away. Silly woman.

I think that Noel said that all of the remaining boxes would be 'reshuffled', whilst the female crew member emphasised that the values on the board would stay the same, i.e. he'd keep his (then!) strong board.

Zeddie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:32 pm    Author: Zeddie    Post subject:

greeny wrote:
I think the box 4 thing was put in at the last minute. They didn't intend to put it in and it would have looked suspicious if all the players had changed boxes.

But the box numbers stayed the same... I think. So nobody would've been the wiser if they hadn't shown it. Apart from the audience, and the contestants... so they had to show it else it'd be all over the news are "DEAL OR NO DEAL SCAM BLAH BLAH ETC."

HillsAngel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:54 pm    Author: HillsAngel    Post subject:

Quote:
On the footage you see a production crew guy flip the box lid back up. I couldnt see it on my computer screen but could you guys see what value it was?

OK... I've been away for a few days and taped all the shows. Just caught up and watched last night's show this morning. Watched the incident frame by frame and the camera shot definitely only showed the last three figures (ie 000) and a little bit of the comma in front of them. So we have any figure from £1,000 to £250,000 being possible which is the same as saying it was definitely red. We'll never know. But the main thing is that the production team handled it very professionally. All credit to them.

:smt023

bramernic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:58 pm    Author: bramernic    Post subject:

muttleee wrote:
Two questions arise from this:

How do you accidentally lift something in the air when it's sitting on a flat surface in front of you? I don't see that happening, no matter *how* clumsy you are.

Not entirely sure, I'm only going on what an observer from the studio said. The lid does overlap the box though, plus if you whack the top of the box hard enough it would probably be enough to tip it over the lip at the front of the bench.

muttleee wrote:
If the box fell top down, how did it end up on its base in the video clip that was posted (which his all I've seen of this show sadly)?

It was likely to be spinning. On impact with the floor it would have bounced up. I'm not a rocket scientist and there's far too many forces at work here, but it does nevertheless seem feasible.

I'm 100% convinced it was an accident though. If someone had paid him to do it we'd have known about it before now. The reason I think they decided to show the incident was because his demeanor afterwards was completely different, especially once he'd taken out the two 6-figure sums in the next two boxes. Obviously they tried to edit it out, but decided on reviewing the footage that it just wouldn't work.

What they ended up with was great telly though - as I'm sure will be clear from the More 4 viewing figures today. I can't help feeling sorry for Massimo though. At least he went home with a reasonable sum.

JamesM

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:16 pm    Author: JamesM    Post subject:

Panda wrote:
Disgusting how the boxes were redistrubited, they should have made the contestants draw lots, as obviously the IA wouldnt put £250,000 in Massimo's box.

AFAIK the boxes are assigned cash values by a "balls-out-of-a-bag" system - the IA doesn't choose what goes where.

muttleee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:35 pm    Author: muttleee    Post subject:

bramernic wrote:
Not entirely sure, I'm only going on what an observer from the studio said. The lid does overlap the box though, plus if you whack the top of the box hard enough it would probably be enough to tip it over the lip at the front of the bench.

It still seems too weird to me. For the duration of the time contestants are on the show they only have one thing to do right and that's open the box in front of them. How could you seemingly forget it's there and accidentally punch it so hard you knock it over the lip and onto the floor with such force that it breaks the seal and displays the contents to all and sundry? Plus it seemed to happen when Massimo was walking back after hugging Emma. If *I* was going to punch the air in delight when a blue box was opened, I would do it the second the amount was revealed, not 30 seconds after it. Plus, didn't someone say in an earlier post that if you listened very carefully you could hear the sound of a seal breaking before the box hit the floor? I can't hear it myself though, to be honest.

I still can't think for the life of me why anyone would do that deliberately though. Just my humble opinion. :-)

LittleFrog

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:33 pm    Author: LittleFrog    Post subject:

Could anyone make a reconstruction of events? Maybe with scientific diagrams labelling the forces exerted on the box at the time of the spinning into the air, and how it could have landed on the floor with the seal broken?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:03 pm    Author: Steve    Post subject:

LittleFrog wrote:
Could anyone make a reconstruction of events? Maybe with scientific diagrams labelling the forces exerted on the box at the time of the spinning into the air, and how it could have landed on the floor with the seal broken?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:-D :-D :-D

Cazzie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:07 pm    Author: Cazzie    Post subject:

OMG Steve!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: *cries with laughter*

It all makes sense now ;)

:-D :-D

"Take your hands out of your pockets!" Noel to David 23/03/09...
Do as I say not as I do obviously Noel! :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Are you... Are you drunk?"
David to The Banker 23/03/09

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:09 pm    Author: Steve    Post subject:

:-D :-D :-D As you can see, I haven't let my fantastic artistic skills go to waste :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

greeny

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:10 pm    Author: greeny    Post subject:

It's certainly erm.............different!

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:11 pm    Author: Steve    Post subject:

Anybody would think it's the real video :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

greeny

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:14 pm    Author: greeny    Post subject:

Err..............yeah, sure they would...........(in a sarcastic voice!)

Richie Rich

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:15 pm    Author: Richie Rich    Post subject:

the IA uses the pseudorandom facility on microsoft excel.
I read it on the internet once.
I too have reviewed the footage, and not only is there a lip to stop the boxes slipping forwards, but, in addition, in front of the lip is a hove dip in the worktop, measuring around 8 inches wide and 4 inches deep.
I'm sure theres no dodgy dealing at DOND, but it does seem very very very very very very odd that it should even nudge forward, never mind fall off the desk.
Dearie me, let's all look on the bright side, it'll soon be Pat's game, she'll bring a smile back to all our faces.
I recon Pat would describe Massimo's game as "Minging".
:shock:

[ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]