Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:26 am Last visit was: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:26 am

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

KP

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:29 pm    Author: KP    Post subject:
International Forums Moderator

Warnings: 0
I'd have considered the £10k opening offer. I'd probably have gambled at £21,000, and taken the £15,000 to cut my losses, but that £15,000 was rather cruelly low (not to the extent that some other all-or-nothing final offers have been, though) and I think the Banker could probably have saved a bundle by offering a bit more.

No swap offer? Though I must admit it felt like a cut to me. Still doesn't look good to the more cynical viewers *raises hand* who haven't forgotten the sequence games... and what Power5 said.

rico7

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:30 pm    Author: rico7    Post subject:

:smt026 :smt038 that was wonderful after this last week. I don't envy Noel having to open the box but Hilary seemed convinced the £50,000 was in her box. Seeing that key at the end showing that Hilary wanted to give the money as a deposit on her daughter's house was very touching. Maybe that is God's blessing on her for her generosity. Amazing!!

"The Banker"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:45 pm    Author: "The Banker"    Post subject:

Fantabbytoesis! What a great game! I was preparing myself for yet another game of bad luck. So happy for her! She deserved it for going all the way to the end. Noel's face was a picture when he revealed the £50k, he went a bit doolally! :-D

Kesh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:47 pm    Author: Kesh    Post subject:

VERY brave of her to turn down £21,000. To go away with the £50k took guts...

After a week of low wins, it's about time someone had a good win over the RAMPANT banker! :D

Kinsey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:23 pm    Author: Kinsey    Post subject:

why no swap offer though, still im sure she would have stuck with her box

Deal or No Deal?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:13 pm    Author: Deal or No Deal?    Post subject:

Kinsey wrote:

She seemed convinced it was in there so it didn't make much of a difference.

Cazzie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:07 pm    Author: Cazzie    Post subject:

Kinsey wrote:

The banker doesn't always offer a swap.... I think she would have stuck anyway! She was so convinced.. bless her! :-D

Hope this good run continues tomorrow!

"Take your hands out of your pockets!" Noel to David 23/03/09...
Do as I say not as I do obviously Noel! :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Are you... Are you drunk?"
David to The Banker 23/03/09

golden_touch19

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:12 pm    Author: golden_touch19    Post subject:

I think the banker didn't offer a swap because he was calling her bluff - she said she thought she had 50k in her box hence the harsh offer and not letting her swap - he wanted to see if she actually believed it and all credit to her. I don't know why but I was more nervous today than I've ever been in an ep of DOND - it's cos these forums made me think all the shows would be bad this week and I was just waiting for it to go wrong.

Good on you Hilary - what a legend! Just shows that no dealing all the way can work

xxx

never_wrong

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:56 pm    Author: never_wrong    Post subject:

She might've been offered a swap but it may have ended up on the editing room floor. Besides, she did seem convinced anyway...she may have turned it down.

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:59 pm    Author: Steve    Post subject:

Yeah, they probably edited it out.

rico7

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:12 am    Author: rico7    Post subject:

I wonder if games like this will cause the banker to make his offers more generous towards the end. It just amazes me how when the £250,000 is still in play with only 5 boxes left that he will offer a measly £10,000 or similar (not that £10,000 is a small sum of money!) If someone chooses to play on and no deal every offer and select their final box, then before the game starts their chances of going away with anything from £10,000 upwards is a fraction over 36% so it is a fair gamble to commit to going all the way.

johindes

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:19 am    Author: johindes    Post subject:

I cried when she said that about her daughters houses. She was amazingly brave, excellent game, although the banker was harsh with her at the end.

BlairM

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:26 am    Author: BlairM    Post subject:

Excellent, that took some balls to gamble between £5 and £50,000 though. I'd have probably went at the £21k and would have chickened out on the £15k offer!

KP

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:09 am    Author: KP    Post subject:

If everyone took their box, the Banker would have to pay out £25,700 per show - over £8,000 per show more than he is at present.

We'd also get a £250,000 winner every month, and three utterly disastrous games every week. That pattern wouldn't draw in viewers, there'd be nothing to play for and most episodes would be painful.

In short, it is in the interests of the producer (and we believe this role to be synonymous with that of the Banker) to be generous enough to ensure most games end with a Deal, to minimise the number of painful disasters while also reducing overall payout.

rico7

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:19 pm    Author: rico7    Post subject:

KP wrote:
In short, it is in the interests of the producer (and we believe this role to be synonymous with that of the Banker) to be generous enough to ensure most games end with a Deal, to minimise the number of painful disasters while also reducing overall payout.
You make so really good points KP. The only thing I would say is that sometimes the banker's offers are deliberately not generous to make the games more entertaining such as Hilary's, so although a lot of games see people win reasonable amounts of money, you get more that are either lifechanging money wins, or total disasters because people like seeing those brave gambles!

KP

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:00 pm    Author: KP    Post subject:

Agreed, but such games should be relatively rare to make them more exciting when they do come.

If the Banker's purpose is to provide an entertaining game, making offers designed to cause them as much trouble as possible may be worthwhile. That means no room for inflated no-brainer offers, but it also means no room for joke offers. It ought to mean the Banker actually staying in the range given to him by his computer, a range Glenn admits he does not stick to. Those who believe the game is less interesting with more stable, mathematically sound offers need only refer to the Dutch version for a counter-example.

MichaelC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:07 am    Author: MichaelC    Post subject:

Excellent finale to the game - well done Hilary, certainly took some balls to take the gamble at the end, and very glad it paid off! :)

Cheers

Michael

the1pclub

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:42 pm    Author: the1pclub    Post subject:

I'm personally presuming a swap offer was edited out, but because Hilary I think in the show was so adamant to stick with what she had that an offer of a swap would have just been pointless, the belief of the banker that she was bluffing also justified the belief that there was no need for a swap.

I reckon there was one with the way it was edited, but I'm sure we all would have guessed that Hilary would have rejected it.

Fortunately it turned out to be a great decision!

Well done Hilary!

DON'T FORGET, IT'S TAX FREE!!

1900al

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 10:03 am    Author: 1900al    Post subject:

Really enjoyed that game! One of the best for a while. :-D

[ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]