Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:41 pm Last visit was: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:41 pm

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close soon on 3 May 2024. More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » International DoND Forums » International DoND Forums » USAAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 12 posts ] 

J.R.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:50 am    Author: J.R.    Post subject: DoND USA: March 12, 2007 ***SPOILER WARNING!***

Warnings: 0
And here's how it went!

This is a special two-hour long edition of DoND and we will kick it off right away by bringing back the contestant from the previous episode!

Contestant: Hugh Neisler!

The Board:

- .01¢
- $1
-
- $10
-
- $50
-
-
- $200
-
- $400
- $500
- $750
---------------
-
- $5,000
- $10,000
- $25,000
- $50,000
-
- $100,000
-
-
-
- $500,000
-
- $1,000,000

Chosen case: 11!

Round Three: Four Cases:

22: $400

5: $10,000

23: $10

10: $50,000

Banker's offer: $85,000!

NO DEAL!

Round Four: Three Cases:

13: $50

4: $750

18: $100,000

Banker's offer: $116,000!

NO DEAL!

Round Five: Two Cases:

26: $500,000!

8: $5,000

The Final Six:

- .01¢
- $1
- $200
- $500
- $25,000
- $1,000,000

Banker's offer: $99,000!

DEAL!

And just like that, Hugh has put $99,000 straight into his pocket! With a "One Case Game" staring at him if he had played on, Hugh decided not to gamble.

Now we must prove if Hugh was indeed wise to pull out at that moment or if he might of went a bit too soon with The Proveout!

Proveout: Round One:

21: $500

Banker's offer: $201,000!
Dealt at: $99,000!

Proveout: Round Two:

20: $1!!

Banker's offer: $279,000!

Proveout: Round Three:

1: .01¢!!!

Banker's offer: $359,000!

Proveout: Round Four:

25: $25,000

The Final Two:

- $200
- $1,000,000

Banker's offer: $512,000!

Wow, it's not often we get this kind of final two! A Final Two with the One Million Dollars still on the board!

This is the worst thing that can happen to someone who dealt. As you can see, the offers would of gone to astronomical heights if they had just stayed in for just a few more rounds. But with this game, nothing is certain and the million could have just as easily gone away on the first pick in the Proveout.

No matter what, Hugh is leaving with $99,000 in real cash. Nothing to sneer at! That is the certainty, the million is a possibility.

If there is just $200 in Hugh's case 11, he still take consolation in the fact he sold a case for more than it was worth. But if this is the million... not so good!

The time to open the case is now. Howie opens Case 11 and we discover it held...

11: $1,000,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HUGH HAD THE MILLION SITTING AT THE DOLLAR TABLE THE WHOLE TIME!!!!!

Huge ouch, no two ways about it. As much as I hate to say it, Hugh clearly made a very bad deal. :cry:

Despite the fact everyone is hugely disappointed and crushed, we must not forget that Hugh still walks away with $99,000 in cash! That's a lot more than many contestants end up with!

It just wasn't meant to be.

To prove it:

3: $200

Game Summary:

Peak offer: $512,000
Case value: $1,000,000
Prize won: $99,000
Result: Outright Banker Win

And we've only just begun! Can this epic night stay this way with our next contestant? She will try to see if she can not only bring the million to The Dollar Table, but go all the way and win it! Can it happen with...

Contestant: Jessica Howard!

Chosen case: 12!

Round One: Six Cases:

4: $200

17: $100

20: .01¢!!!

15: $750,000!!

23: $5,000

2: $25

Banker's offer: $22,000!

NO DEAL!

Round Two: Five Cases:

16: $500,000!

9: $1,000,000!!!

5: $10,000

26: $1,000

8: $300,000

Banker's offer: $11,000!

NO DEAL!

18: $50,000

25: $400,000

19: $300

3: $25,000

Banker's offer: $15,000!

NO DEAL!

Round Four: Three Cases:

10: $100,000

13: $50

6: $500

Banker's offer: $21,000!

NO DEAL!

Round Five: Two Cases:

14: $750

11: $75

The Final Six:

- $1
- $5
- $10
- $400
- $75,000
- $200,000

Banker's offer: $40,000!

DEAL!

Okay, while Jessica ran into some horrible luck and never really got into the mega sums of money, she still manages to grab a nice $40,000 gift from The Banker!

Lets just see if this was the right move to make with The Proveout!

Proveout: Round One:

22: $75,000!

Banker's offer: $31,000!
Dealt at: $40,000!

One down, one to go!

Proveout: Round Two:

7: $400

Banker's offer: $55,000!

24: $1!!

Banker's offer: $73,000!

21: $10

The Final Two:

- $5
- $200,000

Banker's offer: $109,000!

At the last two cases, Jessica would have kept the last large number still in play to the very end. But that may be because she hasn't found it in the gallery of lovely ladies yet or perhaps it was inside her Case 12 the whole time. If nothing else, we know for sure she is walking away with a tidy $40,000! That's still good money!

Case 12 is opened to show that if Jessica played to the end, she would have won...

12: $5!!!

Excellent, she still sold a case for far more than it was worth! "The $5 club" continues to have just one member for now!

To prove it:

1: $200,000

Game Summary:

Peak offer: $109,000
Case value: $5
Prize won: $40,000
Result: Technical Banker Win: (64-36)

So far, out of a possible $1,109,000... the contestants have only won a combined total of $139,000! We need someone to really clean out the bank balance of that man in the shadowy booth! The man to do just that is...

Contestant: Dave Apperton!

Fast facts: Dave comes on to the stage wearing a kilt and playing the DoND theme on a bagpipe!

Chosen case: 25!

Round One: Six Cases:

9: .01¢!!!

12: $750,000!!

17: $100,000

20: $5,000

21: $1,000

15: $400

Banker's offer: $19,000!

NO DEAL!

Round Two: Five Cases:

2: $200

11: $50,000

18: $75

19: $1!!

24: $750

Banker's offer: $59,000!

NO DEAL!

13: $200,000

22: $100

8: $25,000

26: $500,000!

Banker's offer: $81,000!

DEAL!

No, you did not misread that! Despite a relatively good board, Dave has decided to call it a night and walk at only the third offer in the game, the first to do so!

Why did he deal so early? Mainly because his wife pleaded him to! She was seriously afraid her husband was going hit a bad run and take out all the huge numbers still in play!

No doubt, everyone is shocked beyond words at this astonishingly early deal! Even Howie is a bit amazed!

Well now, we have a huge Proveout portion to get to! Wouldn't it just be smashing if the wife was right all along! Will The Banker finally taste defeat? Lets find out now!

Proveout: Round One: (Three Cases)

23: $5!

3: $500

7: $25

Ouch, it would have been the perfect round and The Banker would have offered...

Banker's offer: $219,000!
Dealt at: $81,000!

Proveout: Round Two: (Two Cases)

10: $10

5: $300,000

The Final Six:

- $50
- $300
- $10,000
- $75,000
- $400,000
- $1,000,000

Banker's offer: $248,000!

6: $400,000

Banker's offer: $201,000!

14: $50

Banker's offer: $297,000!

Proveout: Round Five:

4: $300!!

OUCH! Dave would have cleared the entire left side of the board! The Banker shows no mercy...

Banker's offer: $388,000!

Proveout: Round Six:

16: $10,000!!!

The Final Two:

- $75,000
- $1,000,000

It gets even worse! The least Dave had in his case was $75,000 and... the million dollars. Just like on Hugh's game just about an hour ago!

The unforgiving Banker rubs salt in the wound as deep as he can with this...

Banker's offer: $561,000!

Well, what can we say? Yes, we know that Dave is walking out with $81,000 in real money that can seriously make a difference in his life, but we cannot deny the fact he was pushed into dealing way too soon and has missed out on hundreds of thousands of dollars.

All that is left to do now is open Case 25 and hope it has just $75,000 inside. That would still be an $6,000 profit on a case and it's always good to make more than what was in your case!

If this is the million, then we will set DoND history with the ultimate prize on The Dollar Table twice in one program!

Has Dave made history or just couldn't find the big prize soon enough? Howie opens Case 25 and shows everyone watching that it had inside...

25: $1,000,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DAVE SELECTED THE CASE WITH THE ULTIMATE PRIZE INSIDE, ONE MILLION DOLLARS!!!!!! HISTORY HAS BEEN MADE!!!!!

I really hate to say it, but lets face it... Dave made one the worst deals ever made in the history of "Deal or No Deal" in the USA. He denied himself so much more that what he took.

Dave could not be more horrified and gutted at this chain of events, you can even see anger in his face at the deal he was made to take at the pleas of his wife.

But, he's still walking out $81,000 better off! That is still a good payday in anyone's book!

We'll never know just how far Dave would have gone if he had not dealt when he did. Perhaps, like the first game, it just wasn't meant to be.

To prove it:

1: $75,000

Game Summary:

Peak offer: $561,000
Case value: $1,000,000
Prize won: $81,000
Result: Outright Banker Win

And there you have it on one of the most heart-wrenching episodes in DoND history!
-Joe R.

SrWilson

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:23 pm    Author: SrWilson    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

Just goes to show the big one can come and come again in no time at all.

cheers for the write up.

Proud founder of WILSONISM = the real way to play and the term SOS for the show!

KP

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:43 pm    Author: KP    Post subject:
International Forums Moderator

...oh dear hell. I actually had to check he didn't pick Case 3! (And I also had to check what 4 had...)

For what it's worth - on both of those two $1m selloffs, I'd have gone one more, but would have dealt the next one (even though, in each case, the real offer would have beeen more like $150k than $210k).

This could be the shark-jump moment for the show if it turns Howie into Noel with a different accent...

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

DoNDFan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:18 pm    Author: DoNDFan    Post subject:

Why did that guy take the third deal???? Right when he took it, two of his family members went over to congratulate him, and the other just stood in the family section looking shocked! :D He wasn't even clapping. Only three more cases, he could've been in the $200,000's.

And in Jessica's game, she never went to her high school prom, so after returning from a break, the set was decked out to be her own prom, with balloons everywhere, the models wearing corsages, and even Howie wearing a boutonnière. Right at the end of her game, Jessica and her husband shared a dance together under the spotlight, and Howie completed her game by saying, "This is so wonderful. I think i'm going to cry."

3 unbelievable games, two $1,000,000 cases chosen....OMG haha :-D

One of the most painful, yet entertaining episodes of DoND ever!

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:31 pm    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject: Worst Episode in USA DoND History

Okay, to start, I have one word to describe last night's show...
...IDIOTS!!!
I'm sorry, but that was one of the worst episodes of DoND since $58 Friday about a year ago. We had not one, but 2 million-dollar case selloffs, with one much lower than the other. Next thing you know, someone will sell the million for $10,000 or less. At this rate, the show is never going to have a million-dollar winner because everyone who plays is either too STUPID or too CHICKEN to go all the way. It's episodes like these that really change my opinion of this show.

Watching those two idiots sell the million for NEXT TO NOTHING was terrible. And no, J.R., $81K or $99K are nowhere near being good sums of money, especially when you've got a 7-figure amount in your case. Of course, the players never know what's in their case, but it sure makes them feel like crap when they find out later on, after they've learned that they've just made the worst deal in history. We have a better chance at seeing someone win $1 million on NBC's other Endemol offering, 1 vs. 100 (now on hiatus), or even on Fox's Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader, the only show on TV which features contestants dumber than those on DoND. Heck, they should change the title from DoND to Brains or No Brains, since on last nights's show, no one appeared to have them.

The real reason why we end up with so many bad deals on this show, in my opinion, is because people bring their wives or mothers with them as part of their support group. It was the big guy's wife who made him sell out so early, not himself, I believe. If I went on DoND, I would not bring a single supporter with me, because as we just saw, they just get in the way and prevent you from winning a fortune. Maybe I'd bring my 2 brothers with me, as they support everything almost everything that I do and they don't go crazy when they see a high 5-figure offer on the board, but other than that, I wouldn't bring anyone with me at all.

As I said before, no one will ever win the top prize on DoND. The contestants on last night's show have proved that they are the biggest chickens and idiots in the world last night, and the UK contestants are still the world's bravest in my book, even if some of them do end up winning pocket change, or even less than that. As for Howie becoming the next Noel, sans accent and wacky shirts, I'd applaud that any day, because someone needs to show the contestants how dumb they are. Anyone who sells out at the 3rd offer, no matter how good or bad the board is, has more often than not made a terrible deal. And that's my $1.98 on this matter. Tune in next time where the million-dollar case is sold for $9,000 - on the first offer of the game.

...Whew, I feel much better now. Having a good rant always makes me feel good. Oh, and we have to come up with a term that describes a situation worse than an OBW, just because of what happened last night. J.R., I'll leave that one up to you.

KP

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:41 pm    Author: KP    Post subject:

First deal was far, far more forgivable than the second. Clearly there we had a guy who had the disaster scenario staring at him in the face. Second one was mystifying, definitely.

Note that you said how horrible $58 Friday was... and it was horrible because of players going too far. Second player couldn't do a lot about it, but Brett... if Brett had the million he'd probably have won it, and you'd have called him brilliant (as would most of America). As it turned out, he turned down an AMO and got fifty bucks and almost everyone called him an idiot.

People can only be judged on their decisions and not on their outcomes, given that the outcome is not known in advance. As such, Hugh is nowhere near as worthy of criticism as Doug (though AArnett will probably think he should have gone at $116k instead. Actually, there was more of a case for him dealing at the third offer than there was for Doug...)

Mark77, I will say that dismissing sums of money close to $100,000 - even in the context of a million - is precisely the kind of attitude that is being displayed in the UK version. After the tax and currency conversion and accounting for average income as well, the UK version has about the same top prize as the US, and sums below 10% of it are being casually dismissed. I for one don't want to see the US show going the same way.

I'd also like to remind you of this:

Mark77, after the Brooks Leach game, wrote:
What a complete idiot! He should have taken the $147K, but no, the dumb hick (sorry if that offended anyone) felt he had the $500K in his case. Wrong! He truly deserved the $10 for pressing his luck way too far... I would have taken the peak offer of $218,000, and left there with a decent amount of money. I'm a bit of a gambler myself, but I do it in moderation. I know my limits.

The only way to win a million, as Howie says, is to go to the end. The only way to win a penny is to go to the end. I totally agree that Doug went too soon, but Hugh was staring at a very clear disaster, so while I think I'd have gone one more with an 83% chance of hitting anything else, I'm certainly not going to criticise him. Also, the proveout offers were inflated.

In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:18 pm    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject:

KP wrote:
First deal was far, far more forgivable than the second. Clearly there we had a guy who had the disaster scenario staring at him in the face. Second one was mystifying, definitely.

Note that you said how horrible $58 Friday was... and it was horrible because of players going too far. Second player couldn't do a lot about it, but Brett... if Brett had the million he'd probably have won it, and you'd have called him brilliant (as would most of America). As it turned out, he turned down an AMO and got fifty bucks and almost everyone called him an idiot.

People can only be judged on their decisions and not on their outcomes, given that the outcome is not known in advance. As such, Hugh is nowhere near as worthy of criticism as Doug (though AArnett will probably think he should have gone at $116k instead. Actually, there was more of a case for him dealing at the third offer than there was for Doug...)

Mark77, I will say that dismissing sums of money close to $100,000 - even in the context of a million - is precisely the kind of attitude that is being displayed in the UK version. After the tax and currency conversion and accounting for average income as well, the UK version has about the same top prize as the US, and sums below 10% of it are being casually dismissed. I for one don't want to see the US show going the same way.

I'd also like to remind you of this:

Mark77, after the Brooks Leach game, wrote:
What a complete idiot! He should have taken the $147K, but no, the dumb hick (sorry if that offended anyone) felt he had the $500K in his case. Wrong! He truly deserved the $10 for pressing his luck way too far... I would have taken the peak offer of $218,000, and left there with a decent amount of money. I'm a bit of a gambler myself, but I do it in moderation. I know my limits.

The only way to win a million, as Howie says, is to go to the end. The only way to win a penny is to go to the end. I totally agree that Doug went too soon, but Hugh was staring at a very clear disaster, so while I think I'd have gone one more with an 83% chance of hitting anything else, I'm certainly not going to criticise him. Also, the proveout offers were inflated.

Hmm, perhaps I was a bit harsh back there. Sorry if I offended anyone, namely you, KP. I was just angry because at this rate no one is going to win $1,000,000, and if someone does, then it will be leaked beforehand, just like when Laura won the top prize on DoND UK. Perhaps the general was looking at a potential disaster board, but even with the board as it was, I still would have went on for a few more rounds, just to see what would have happened, and to see if I could drive the offers up even further.

I've seen some great 5-figure deals made on the US version before, and when they were doing the proveouts afterwards, the first case that the contestant chose was the one with the only remaining 6-figure amount on the board. Inside their case was one of the small amounts. I'm sure it's happened all the time in the UK, and in other places as well.

I don't know if everyone will ever go all the way and win the million, but I don't see it happeneing in the near future. And that deal that the kilt-wearer made really came from out of left field. No one saw that coming at all. $81,000 after taxes can still buy you, among other things, a new car, get you some payment on a new house, pay off student loans, etc. Same for $99,000. But the the fact remains: this was not a good night for DoND USA. Hopefully, we won't have to see something like that ever again, as it really left a sour taste in some people's mouths. As for the remainder of the season, I predict that someone will win either $200K+, $300K+, or $400K+ through a bank offer, or maybe even by going the distance. But I can't see any millionaires crowned anytime soon.

As for the overly-inflated proveout offers, on DoND Canada, someone sold their case for $215,000, and they had the million inside. This also happened on the US version, and the player sold their million-dollar case for the exact same amount. When they did the proveouts, the last offer would have been $604,000, which made absolutely no sense whatsoever. I'd have offered at least $525,000 or maybe even a little more than that at that stage. Oh, and by the way, what the heck does AMO mean? I've been hearing that term thrown around a lot over here these days...

Aaron Brock

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:25 pm    Author: Aaron Brock    Post subject:

AMO is Above Mean Offer Mark ;)

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:39 pm    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject:

Thanks for clearing that up, Aaron. And all this time, I thought it stood for Actual Money Offer. And I call myself a DoND fan, lol :lol: ...

Aaron Brock

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:40 pm    Author: Aaron Brock    Post subject:

?!?!?! lol :lol:

KP

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:12 am    Author: KP    Post subject:

Fair enough, Mark77. I accept that wholeheartedly. I may have gone too far myself as a reaction, too.

Doug made a bad and unexpected deal, no doubt about it. (The contents of his case drew attention to just how bad it was, of course.) On the whole, however, US contestants seem to take more risks than pre-Laura contestants here. (Post-Laura contestants, that's another story.)

I've probably used this line before, but this is the best time to use it I've seen - money changes depending on how you look at it. A night where two contestants have the million on the table is a night where $100,000 seems small fry. In the context of an ugly show (the Thanksgiving special, $58 Friday) $100,000 seems huge.

I think AMO is a term that originated from Bother's Bar. A ton of acronyms and pieces of terminology common among the fans here - most notably 'LTL' (Legalised Telephone Lottery) for the viewer competition - originated there.

greeny

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:40 pm    Author: greeny    Post subject:

The one where case 11 has the $1,000,000 on the table has been put on the NBC website, and the models look horrified as the cases open without revealing the $1,000,000, and then when it's discovered on the table.

[ 12 posts ] 
Deal or No Deal forum index » International DoND Forums » International DoND Forums » USAAll times are UTC [ DST ]