Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:43 am Last visit was: Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:43 am

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close soon on 3 May 2024. More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » International DoND Forums » International DoND Forums » USAAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 6 posts ] 

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:56 am    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject: NBC does it again...

Warnings: 0
For those of you who watch NBC in North America, commercials have been airing that advertise a huge $250K+ offer for the returning contestant on Monday. They have really got to stop doing this, IMO. It takes all the fun out of watching the show. Do they ever do this for any of the other versions of DoND around the world? I surely hope not...

KP

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:13 am    Author: KP    Post subject:
International Forums Moderator

Not here they don't. The £250k win here was leaked such that the fans here and elsewhere almost couldn't avoid it, but the typical viewer (who doesn't read one particular tabloid paper that leaked it) could, which made me laugh. (Channel 4 didn't publicise it.)

Of course, we don't have the concept of 'sweeps periods', which you do - however you're getting the spoiler ads outside of sweeps too.

How in the world is that player going to get that offer with that board anyway? We now know the start of that show is going to be near-perfect.

I do think this is symbolic though - there are usually such 'sneak peeks' on scripted shows, both in the US and to some extent here. Is DoND little more than a scripted show with the case selection the only unscripted element?

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:14 pm    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject:

KP wrote:
Not here they don't. The £250k win here was leaked such that the fans here and elsewhere almost couldn't avoid it, but the typical viewer (who doesn't read one particular tabloid paper that leaked it) could, which made me laugh. (Channel 4 didn't publicise it.)

Of course, we don't have the concept of 'sweeps periods', which you do - however you're getting the spoiler ads outside of sweeps too.

How in the world is that player going to get that offer with that board anyway? We now know the start of that show is going to be near-perfect.

I do think this is symbolic though - there are usually such 'sneak peeks' on scripted shows, both in the US and to some extent here. Is DoND little more than a scripted show with the case selection the only unscripted element?

To my knowledge, a scripted game show can't exist anymore. There was a whole huge scandal with rigged game shows in 1958 involving a game show called 21. Laws have been created ever since to ensure that this kind of thing never happens again. And yes, I agree, this math teacher's game is going to be near perfect. Heck, he'll probably even take the offer, which may or may not lead to an Obvious Banker Win (that's what OBW stands for, right?). I won't reveal the exact amount of the offer because that would force me to stoop to a level lower than the one NBC is currently on for giving us these kinds of spoilers. Heck, when someone actually does go the distance and win the million, they'll probably give us a massive spoiler as well. The again, odds are that this will probably never happen, as the average contestant tends to bail out at the first sight of a $200,000+ offer. Sometimes this is good, but other times, it leads to an OBW. For example, last might on DoND Canada, some idiot sold their case for $215,000, and she ended up having the million inside of it. Oddly enough, an American contestant once sold the million-dollar case for the exact same amount. That's a perfect example of what I'm talking about.

J.R.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:17 pm    Author: J.R.    Post subject:

I am in total agreement with Mark, NBC has seriously got to stop spoiling major events from DoND and 1 vs. 100! This about the third or forth time NBC has given away huge bank offer! As I said in an earlier post, I understand why the National Broadcasting Company does it, but this is a little too far!

I took some pics of the promo with my digital camera! Just sad:

-Joe R.
(PS: Mark: "OBW" stands for "Outright Banker Win", though the one you said could fit too!)

greeny

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:43 pm    Author: greeny    Post subject:

YAY, case 11 gets chosen soon!

usdond13

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:32 pm    Author: usdond13    Post subject:

anyone remember how much they told about one person having the million in their case. They didn't even win it.

[ 6 posts ] 
Deal or No Deal forum index » International DoND Forums » International DoND Forums » USAAll times are UTC [ DST ]