Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 8:58 am Last visit was: Mon May 06, 2024 8:58 am

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close on 21 June 2024 (extended deadline). More info here.

Deal or No Deal will return for a new series later in 2024.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 4 posts ] 

kestral

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:01 pm    Author: kestral    Post subject: Bankers Offer on Saturday
Site Owner, Administrator & Global Moderator

Warnings: 0
What do people make of the bankers offer he made to Garvan on Saturday?

At the end of round 4 with £250,000 £75,000 £10,000 and £5,000 left on the board along with some 'blue' numbers he was offered £14,500.

In the next round he knocked out the £75,000 but still left the other big numbers, BUT the offer was dropped to £13,500.

Earlier in the week Terry was in a similar situation at that stage of the game and was offered £24,500.

Garvan could have walked with the £13,000, but the banker was almost daring him to carry on by dropping his offer. It worked out well for the banker in the end as the £250,000 was knocked out and Garvan ended up with £5,000, but it could have backfired big time on the banker and cost him a lot of money.

Will we see more of these games by the banker trying to unsettle the players, it certainly makes the game less predictable.

bork

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:37 am    Author: bork    Post subject:

As a rule, the person with the advantage is the banker. Brendas game was obviously the big exception to the rule, and even she went one deal to early.

If I was the banker, I would drop the offer more than he does in order to let the player hang themselves. As Noel says, there is a power five that are to the players advantage. That means there are 22 boxes that are to the bankers advantage.

Even a strong looking game is normally in the bankers advantage. That is why the TV company loves the game.

But, there will come a time, as Noel said today, that someone will end up with 100,000 and 250,000 and gamble and win the 250,000.

Good luck to whoever does it.

However when it does happen it won't do the TV company any harm at all.

Given this cynical veiw, Deal or no deal is the only gameshow I have ever seen every episode of. I love it.

GeordieGerry

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:53 am    Author: GeordieGerry    Post subject:

The episode when Garven dropped the offer was extremely interesting because it was the first time when the Banker broke the accepted convention that if you took out three lower boxes then something good would happen. We thought it was a Saturday night stunt designed to get viewers interested and I for one was livid when I came out of the studio because I realised that the rules of the game were not as simple as I had thought. Then of course there was Marie dropping from 33K to 8K the following week.....

Great TV but HELL if you are sitting in the seat...which of course THEY know

KP

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:24 pm    Author: KP    Post subject:
International Forums Moderator

bork wrote:
Even a strong looking game is normally in the bankers advantage. That is why the TV company loves the game.

But with the caveat that the player will only Deal if a significant - possibly life-changing - sum of money is offered.

Quote:
But, there will come a time, as Noel said today, that someone will end up with 100,000 and 250,000 and gamble and win the 250,000.

In theory the £100k/£250k split will only happen every 231 shows and even then, the player might take an early deal or have the £100k in their box rather than £250k - both of these happened the first time someone was left with that dream final two.

Quote:
However when it does happen it won't do the TV company any harm at all.

I was wondering whether a jackpot win would be a 'jump the shark' moment - a peak that would never be matched again, meaning the only way was down (much like the first jackpot win on Millionaire). However, the experiences of the French version (which has given away its jackpot several times) serve as a counter-example here.

Quote:
Given this cynical veiw, Deal or no deal is the only gameshow I have ever seen every episode of. I love it.

Seconded.

[ 4 posts ] 
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]