Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 5:29 am Last visit was: Sat May 04, 2024 5:29 am

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close soon on 3 May 2024. More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

daniel123

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:11 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: Deal or No Deal To Return
Forum Games Moderator

Warnings: 0
You're spot on, Adam was Adam L - although that was his second username, and I forget his first...it's on the tip of my tongue, but not quite there. :P The revelation that he was ten came about, if I'm remembering this correctly, after I'd made some boastful declaration about being the youngest member at 11, and he said he was a year younger than me, which obviously gave him the title. (I'm still taking it anyway, because I joined - again, IIRC - several weeks prior to him... :lol: )

Neefs, of course, 'you all smell like a tramp's trousers' :-D

Dan4389 I occasionally think of on the 4th of March, because that was his birthday and this year he'd have been 34!
Nick with the #1 Box 4 Fan thing I remember too! That was mad, box 3 fans, squabbling with box 4 fans...they're cardboard boxes, for Pete's sake! :ponder:
From a very slightly later time, basicasic is now trancematics, and I don't think anyone ever heard from DavidF1 (later Super Aguri I think?) after late 2006. I seem to recall him joining Jimmy's forum along with myself and a small band of others - and speaking of individual forums, Mental Mickey, 02bmiller (later Ben Miller...176?) and Aaron had their own around this time. There was 'The Dog Forum' too I think, but that might've been Ben Miller's. Random comment; Geordie was a member both here and on Mental Mickey's forum, and Mickey was involved in some way with the Highland Games, which was how he knew Geordie. (Another huge IIRC for that one!)

Another who hasn't had a mention (at least in the most recent comments) is wokoman88 - who did come back a few years ago and posts occasionally, I think as woko88.
A thought for travis p, who tragically won't be returning but isn't forgotten.
Don't know if never_wrong has had a mention, but if not, there you go! Maltus is another; I've just been reminded of both of them reading this thread from Marcus' game, as I saw crutlew had been permanently banned and wondered why...but I'm not wondering any more! (https://www.dond.co.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... 6471#p6471 - It's a fascinating insight into how close we were to making a breakthrough re what was acceptable and what wasn't, and what was an acceptable way to deal with offensive remarks and what wasn't, yet also shows how far we still had to come.)

"The Banker" apparently was last here two years ago, and LittleFrog last visited fifteen years ago, while mtugby (later Tugger) was last here a year ago but hasn't posted since 2009. Hammondstar is another name that's coming back to me, she was a regular in those early months. Oh, and Solskjaer, who I think we called Sols for short. :P

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

psychokiller

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:27 pm    Author: psychokiller    Post subject: Re: Deal or No Deal To Return

RecordBabyTM is in that thread too and has just about the most '2006' forum user profile ever.

It's people like those who are the true mysteries to me, where all their posting was contained to the first few months of the forum and the actual show's peak popularity. Casual fans - at best - who had moved on from being a fan very quickly, closing in on 20 years ago. Yet their 'past' selfs remain there, crystallised. Who are they and where are they now?

h2005

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:59 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: Deal or No Deal To Return
Administrator & Global Moderator

I suppose there'll now be no more DoND until at least Spring, or maybe longer if they do a totally new round of contestant applications and don't consider anyone who applied previously.

Apparently half of the Tipping Point episodes each year are repeats, so perhaps there'll be 3 months of DoND, 3 of TP, etc.? If so, a whole year's worth of DoND could be filmed in a single block of around 130 shows.

This is all assuming it gets renewed!

hogwild94

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:55 pm    Author: hogwild94    Post subject: Re: Deal or No Deal To Return
Global Moderator

I'll be posting a fuller set of my thoughts on my blog tomorrow night (if I remember!), but, for now, I'll say that the revival has been simply just fine. Not spectacular, but not terrible either. A bit like the revived Fifteen-to-One.

And it disproved my theory that the original show's format wouldn't work in today's society. :smt023

Check out SLUDGE for original, non-cover rock music!

Power5

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:11 pm    Author: Power5    Post subject: Re: Deal or No Deal To Return

Yeah… I’d give it a healthy 7.5 out of 10.

Positives:
True to the spirit of the original, with no gimmicks. Felt more like a slicker version of 2005/06 DOND than the later days.
Stephen has stepped into the hosting role well - intro part in particular sets it up well, though he has a bit to learn in dealing with bad outcomes.
The addition of the standard three-box offer, giving more incentive to go for it at the previous stage.

Negatives:
Those two-box offers, completely mathematically illogical (and to an extent, inflated 3-box and 5-box offers as well).
Low early offers bearing little relationship to the state of the game.
The obvious drawback of the lowering of the stakes without the £250k top prize.
An hour with three breaks is a bit too drawn out.

Mild annoyances:
Curious disappearance of a number of contestants without playing.
Lack of a swap offer, in live play or otherwise.

h2005

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:21 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: Deal or No Deal To Return

hogwild94 wrote:
I'll be posting a fuller set of my thoughts on my blog tomorrow night

Make sure you post a link on here as it'd be interesting to read. :D

Davao

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:32 pm    Author: Davao    Post subject: Re: Deal or No Deal To Return

Maybe the contestants threw a hissy fit, when they found out they wasn't guaranteed to play, so they got removed and booted from the show. For all we know these replacements, could actually be crew members for the last few shows.

Power5

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:23 pm    Author: Power5    Post subject: Re: Deal or No Deal To Return

daniel123 wrote:
You're spot on, Adam was Adam L - although that was his second username, and I forget his first...it's on the tip of my tongue, but not quite there. :P The revelation that he was ten came about, if I'm remembering this correctly, after I'd made some boastful declaration about being the youngest member at 11, and he said he was a year younger than me, which obviously gave him the title. (I'm still taking it anyway, because I joined - again, IIRC - several weeks prior to him... :lol: )

Neefs, of course, 'you all smell like a tramp's trousers' :-D

Dan4389 I occasionally think of on the 4th of March, because that was his birthday and this year he'd have been 34!
Nick with the #1 Box 4 Fan thing I remember too! That was mad, box 3 fans, squabbling with box 4 fans...they're cardboard boxes, for Pete's sake! :ponder:
From a very slightly later time, basicasic is now trancematics, and I don't think anyone ever heard from DavidF1 (later Super Aguri I think?) after late 2006. I seem to recall him joining Jimmy's forum along with myself and a small band of others - and speaking of individual forums, Mental Mickey, 02bmiller (later Ben Miller...176?) and Aaron had their own around this time. There was 'The Dog Forum' too I think, but that might've been Ben Miller's. Random comment; Geordie was a member both here and on Mental Mickey's forum, and Mickey was involved in some way with the Highland Games, which was how he knew Geordie. (Another huge IIRC for that one!)

Another who hasn't had a mention (at least in the most recent comments) is wokoman88 - who did come back a few years ago and posts occasionally, I think as woko88.
A thought for travis p, who tragically won't be returning but isn't forgotten.
Don't know if never_wrong has had a mention, but if not, there you go! Maltus is another; I've just been reminded of both of them reading this thread from Marcus' game, as I saw crutlew had been permanently banned and wondered why...but I'm not wondering any more! (https://www.dond.co.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... 6471#p6471 - It's a fascinating insight into how close we were to making a breakthrough re what was acceptable and what wasn't, and what was an acceptable way to deal with offensive remarks and what wasn't, yet also shows how far we still had to come.)

"The Banker" apparently was last here two years ago, and LittleFrog last visited fifteen years ago, while mtugby (later Tugger) was last here a year ago but hasn't posted since 2009. Hammondstar is another name that's coming back to me, she was a regular in those early months. Oh, and Solskjaer, who I think we called Sols for short. :P

Wasn’t hammondstar the younger sister of someone else on here?

I remember all those names. Did read about what happened to Travis a few years back, he was also a regular on the Bother’s Bar commentaries I think, which pre-dated even this place.

daniel123

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:57 am    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: Deal or No Deal To Return
Forum Games Moderator

Now you mention it, hammondstar being someone's sister is ringing a bell, but I can't remember who the sibling might have been!

Of course there was also Spartacus...let's see, hitchhiker42 was last here in 2010, ketchup14 was semi-regular until disappearing in November 2006, AVIE last visited in 2007, and oh crikey we're only on page 13 and there's me :lol: errrmmmm, well, since we're here, from what I remember, I'd check in probably once every few months in the late 2010s and never actually left - sort of came back now and then with my shears and strimmer, just in case the place ever came back to life.

Let me see, again...well, the next person to join our ranks was none other than patmtherealone - nooooo, not Pat M There Alone, Pat M, the real one! She'd long since stopped posting here before I realised that, though. :P
abattoir was an interesting one, she was from Burnley, very active in the Forum Minxes thread which disappeared in 2008 or 2009 I think.
RICO7'S WIFE SASHA apparently joined in October 2006 :P and I'm sure someone must have mentioned Goldeneye by this point but if they haven't, there's a namecheck for them, and cookie_monster too. I was fond of cookie, he was good company. :D

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

Power5

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:24 am    Author: Power5    Post subject: Re: Deal or No Deal To Return

I think it might have been Solskjaer who was hammondstar’s brother.

I remember Spartacus now, an early contestant (not sure if we ever fully worked out who they were) who had a few run-ins with Geordie (and his additional accounts). I did look up Geordie (Gerry Reynolds) recently and apparently he retired from his Highland Games organising job a couple of years ago and went back to Newcastle.

Davao

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:03 pm    Author: Davao    Post subject: Re: Deal or No Deal To Return

Did anyone think Spartacus on the forum a member in the early days, was actually Player 14?

Power5

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 3:08 pm    Author: Power5    Post subject: Re: Deal or No Deal To Return

Davao wrote:
Did anyone think Spartacus on the forum a member in the early days, was actually Player 14?

I think we pretty much worked it out and thought it was a female contestant from early on, can’t remember the name though.

I remember the whole Geordiegate thing though, there were a couple of ID’s who took his side on everything and eventually he gave the game away by signing off as Geordie on a post from one of the others :lol:

Davao

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 3:42 pm    Author: Davao    Post subject: Re: Deal or No Deal To Return

Power5 wrote:
Davao wrote:

I think we pretty much worked it out and thought it was a female contestant from early on, can’t remember the name though.

I remember the whole Geordiegate thing though, there were a couple of ID’s who took his side on everything and eventually he gave the game away by signing off as Geordie on a post from one of the others :lol:

Just had a look on the forum, looks like it was player 3, Anita!

daniel123

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 3:46 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: Deal or No Deal To Return
Forum Games Moderator

Power5 wrote:

I remember Spartacus now, an early contestant (not sure if we ever fully worked out who they were) who had a few run-ins with Geordie (and his additional accounts). I did look up Geordie (Gerry Reynolds) recently and apparently he retired from his Highland Games organising job a couple of years ago and went back to Newcastle.

Geordie Gerry, that's it. :)

Oh, there's another one, golden_touch19, whose last post was here https://www.dond.co.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... 63#p229163 - I mean, having just looked up his episode...OK, he was cute and all, but the most adorable thing she'd ever seen?! That mullet, for starters! :smt009

Ah, and Billy, who was last here five years ago but deserves a mention because his animated signature is exactly the same as it was then, a collage of player photos put together to make one big portrait of Noel that then zooms in to reveal the individual contestants. Snazzy.

Davao

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 3:58 pm    Author: Davao    Post subject: Re: Deal or No Deal To Return

daniel123 wrote:
Power5 wrote:

Geordie Gerry, that's it. :)

Oh, there's another one, golden_touch19, whose last post was here https://www.dond.co.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... 63#p229163 - I mean, having just looked up his episode...OK, he was cute and all, but the most adorable thing she'd ever seen?! That mullet, for starters! :smt009

Ah, and Billy, who was last here five years ago but deserves a mention because his animated signature is exactly the same as it was then, a collage of player photos put together to make one big portrait of Noel that then zooms in to reveal the individual contestants. Snazzy.

Forum, seems to think Spartacus, was Anita player 3.

BTW, what happened to Travis?

higginson_ronan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 4:25 pm    Author: higginson_ronan    Post subject: Re: Deal or No Deal To Return

Davao wrote:

He died this time 10 years ago :(

Fan of many game shows and Series 87 Champion of Countdown!

Power5

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:01 pm    Author: Power5    Post subject: Re: Deal or No Deal To Return

higginson_ronan wrote:
Davao wrote:

He died this time 10 years ago :(

https://jiggery-pokery.livejournal.com/213449.html?

Power5

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:06 pm    Author: Power5    Post subject: Re: Deal or No Deal To Return

Anyway, Bother’s Bar reporting that audiences have held up above 2m, certainly into early December at least, so a good sign that it will be back, probably for a longer run.

The Brad story in the news has probably helped boost its profile.

Davao

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:26 pm    Author: Davao    Post subject: Re: Deal or No Deal To Return

Id move Tipping Point to the 3pm slot and give DOND the 4pm ITV slot permanently imo

h2005

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:27 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: Deal or No Deal To Return

Davao wrote:
Power5 wrote:
Davao wrote:

Just had a look on the forum, looks like it was player 3, Anita!

I remember someone worked out it couldn't have been her because Spartacus referred to a statistic or box number or something that meant it couldn't be her. It could well have been her anyway though and she just made an error with whatever she referenced.

Slightly changing the subject, there used to be an Excel sheet which Endemol had on the official DoND website, detailing all the players (including their surnames!) and winnings. I thought I saved a copy, but can't find it.

Does anyone have a copy and be willing to share it? :-D Not sure how long they maintained it for but I think it was until at least 2010ish.

[ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]