Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 7:22 pm Last visit was: Fri May 03, 2024 7:22 pm

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close soon on 3 May 2024. More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 6 posts ] 

Matthew

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:55 pm    Author: Matthew    Post subject: What should DOND look like if it ever gets revived?

Location: Paignton, Devon but originally from Keighley, West Yorkshire
Warnings: 0
Just a thought that entered my head.
Should DOND even be revived soon?
Should it be in a different studio?
Should the top prize be increased?
Should the money amounts stay the same?
Should they stop with those needless traditions whenever the 1p is revealed?
Should there be a new banker?
Should Noel come back as host?
Should the players still be standing so close to each other? (I know COVID is now pretty much an endemic but still)
I mean there’s so many should ifs I could come up with but I wanna know what you guys think!

Brick

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:51 am    Author: Brick    Post subject: Re: What should DOND look like if it ever gets revived?

Never say never I guess, but it feels unlikely that a production company or channel would want to take on a show with a production & prize budget like DOND right now.

It would have to be, as the old set would have been packed away when the show ended. I always thought the studio formats used suited the show well.

No, the jackpot was only won once a year on average, so no point making it bigger. It'd be more likely to go down I reckon.

Yes, unless they decide to have fewer boxes and fewer players as a result.

Only if they're wanting the players to make less physical contact with each other.

The banker character was meant to be in his 80s or something wasn't he? Depends how far into the future we'd be going! Also worth noting that the banker's back story was built up over several years, so it would depend if they wanted to start from scratch or not.

Think he's already gone on record saying he wouldn't do another series? Think he'd rather apply to be the next Countdown host!

Should the players still be standing so close to each other? (I know COVID is now pretty much an endemic but still)
Well, COVID numbers were rising not long ago so we're not out of the woods yet! I suggested in another thread that maybe the wings should be on more than one level to space the players out more, while someone else also suggested glass panels between players, which the Greek version has done (Mock The Week also used them). This is perhaps another reason why a revived version wouldn't look good - the players' hugging and dancing is all part of their camaraderie, which was good for the viewer to see, and standing isolated just wouldn't build the same atmosphere.

It's very late and my eyes are going, so I hope this makes sense!

psychokiller

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:14 pm    Author: psychokiller    Post subject: Re: What should DOND look like if it ever gets revived?

Brick wrote:
The banker character was meant to be in his 80s or something wasn't he? Depends how far into the future we'd be going! Also worth noting that the banker's back story was built up over several years, so it would depend if they wanted to start from scratch or not.

Think he's already gone on record saying he wouldn't do another series? Think he'd rather apply to be the next Countdown host!

Well, COVID numbers were rising not long ago so we're not out of the woods yet! I suggested in another thread that maybe the wings should be on more than one level to space the players out more, while someone else also suggested glass panels between players, which the Greek version has done (Mock The Week also used them). This is perhaps another reason why a revived version wouldn't look good - the players' hugging and dancing is all part of their camaraderie, which was good for the viewer to see, and standing isolated just wouldn't build the same atmosphere.

The Banker was, I *think*, 80 in his first birthday show (a low key affair in May 2006, the contestant wanted an Orient Express journey I randomly remember). Canonically he'd be 96 now. Not really selling it as a tough, sharp old git at this point. But a 'sprightly' 70 year old son could step in his place...

Noel Edmonds is permanently a New Zealand resident now? I don't see him doing anything else. The I'm a Celeb appearance only came about because of his ideally located re-homing.

The only issue that could affect the contestants is if the attitudes of the bosses means a positive case would scupper the entire thing. If not, then it'd go ahead as it used to be. Everything else in society has (in my work, we're told to work if we're positive because ''da rules don't seyyy we haff to isolateee''). There'll be plenty of hugging in tonight's Community Shield! And tomorrow's Euro final.

daniel123

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:26 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: What should DOND look like if it ever gets revived?
Forum Games Moderator

Matthew wrote:
Just a thought that entered my head.
I mean there’s so many should ifs I could come up with but I wanna know what you guys think!

I shall answer, as has Brick, in the time-honoured fashion...

Should DoND even be revived soon?
I don't believe it should be revived at all, never mind soon; it had its time, its seed was planted and watered and fed, that seed germinated, green shoots appeared and the flowers soon developed, in a few months the great organism that DoND was grew and blossomed, and that blossom was beautiful, as blossom tends to be. Then, after a long and blissful and fruitful summer, the winds changed, and autumn came, and in its own time, in its own way, the plant returned to seed. We cannot go back in time; only ever forward.

In the event that DoND did return, though, I think it would have to be filmed elsewhere as Brick says - but I do agree re the studio format being perfect for the show. Paintworks had a homely feel to it!

Personally, I don't think having prizes anywhere near £250,000 would be viable for a game show at the moment. You'd be looking at a much-altered game board, with far less at stake in numerical terms - a top prize of £25,000, perhaps.

See above

Yes.

No.

Only if he wanted to.

Yes.

:P

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

Matthew

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:38 pm    Author: Matthew    Post subject: Re: What should DOND look like if it ever gets revived?

Location: Paignton, Devon but originally from Keighley, West Yorkshire
Hey lads! Thanks for giving me your interesting opinions on this subject! :smt023 :smt023 :smt023

Stevo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:24 pm    Author: Stevo    Post subject: Re: What should DOND look like if it ever gets revived?

Having given this some thought, my thoughts would be;

1. Less DOND - The show became stale as it was simply on too much. If it was limited to Monday-Friday then you limit the boredom factor that crept in and also limit the chance of people missing shows due to their own weekend activities. Everyone would know where they stood with a maximum 5 shows a week. Countdown has never needed to do it and that’s been on 40 years with precisely the same format.

2. Less gimmicks - The show could be fun with an entertaining or interesting contestant. It didn’t need all the 1p kisses, catchphrases and extra buttons and boxes. The format was always strong enough in the early days of basic risk and reward. Having said that I like the early theme days such as yellow boxes at Easter, green boxes for Wimbledon, black for Fireworks night. Remember they even did a Eurovision show???

3. Top prize - DOND was an expensive show to run as has already been stated. If the top prize was reduced to say £100,000 the show would retain some of an appeal. Take it down to £20k as an example and it just wouldn’t draw enough interest as the offers would never be risky enough. Sponsorship would remain essential.

4. Host - I would not mind if Noel didn’t return - a new face as presenter who still had some charisma would be fine so long as it is not a comedian as it always seems to be these days with all these types of shows.

5. Banker - Same or different is irrelevant to me really as it’s just someone at the end of a phone line!

6. Time - 45 minutes is fine as length - it should never have extended to 1 hr.

I would watch again if classic DOND returned, with a similar style set, 22 players waiting their turn, bit of an intro to the player and their life, a nod to statistics and game #s, but perhaps with a few modern upgrades retaining the simple play style of the early days. And of course, inviting back those people who never got to play a game at the end in 2016 !!!

[ 6 posts ] 
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]