Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 3:19 am Last visit was: Sat May 04, 2024 3:19 am

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close soon on 3 May 2024. More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Matthew

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:33 am    Author: Matthew    Post subject: Re: 'Weird' feelings of DOND

Location: Paignton, Devon but originally from Keighley, West Yorkshire
Warnings: 0
Well funnily enough, it was only until about Brenda's game (9/2/2006) that I started wondering: "Wouldn't it be better and a lot more useful if they color code the box amounts for the relevant values inside?" And sure enough, come Gary's game (27/2/2006) they did just that which was very welcome.

psychokiller

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:41 pm    Author: psychokiller    Post subject: Re: 'Weird' feelings of DOND

Matthew wrote:
Well funnily enough, it was only until about Brenda's game (9/2/2006) that I started wondering: "Wouldn't it be better and a lot more useful if they color code the box amounts for the relevant values inside?" And sure enough, come Gary's game (27/2/2006) they did just that which was very welcome.

Genuinely baffled as to why this didn't happen from episode 1. Presumably it required a bit of effort to transfer a coloured background and i don't thinkkk they had a lot of time to prep before the 'pilot' run of 66? But yeah, Noel was a lot more vocal in shouting out the box values for the benefit of the audience who would barely be able to discern the difference.

I actually witnessed Brenda's game at the time of broadcast (whilst not remotely being a fan or even a casual viewer) and while I was aware she was ''taking out all the blues'', I hadn't noticed the box values weren't colour corresponded

I also failed to realise that she was doing more than just ''taking out all the blues'', but a 1 in 35,000 chance was unfolding in front of my eyes. Just a month or two later and I'd have bene losing my mind at it ahaha.

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:45 pm    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: 'Weird' feelings of DOND

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but remember the "Battle of the sexes" thing back in 2007 where they played 2 weeks of men and 2 weeks of women?

It felt like they being intentionally unfair on the men, by replacing all the men with women until it was an all-female wing line-up, having a lot of the guys play after 10-15 shows while the sheilas got to do 30 shows or more (which continued for like, 3 weeks after the thing had finished until things "evened out" again), and don't even get me started on that "awards ceremony" at the end of scam...sorry, challenge where despite winning the farse....sorry, challenge, the men won the joke prize while the women all got a spa break :smt011 - I really think that if the women won, the men still would've gotten the booby prize!

IMO it should've been 4 weeks of alternating male/female players, with the winning gender at the end getting a spa break, and the losers getting a consolation prize of £250 cash or something

Last edited by JamesJMH91 on Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

higginson_ronan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:10 pm    Author: higginson_ronan    Post subject: Re: 'Weird' feelings of DOND

Weird feeling I've always had: I wonder if some of the contestants kept people's boxes until last because they didn't like them.

Fan of many game shows and Series 87 Champion of Countdown!

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:43 pm    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: 'Weird' feelings of DOND

I always thought it was odd how CJ, who did 8 shows in 2007 before getting the alleged red card from the show, was without fail, always chosen during the early-middle stages of the games she appeared in (which meant it was impossible to track down any footage of her opening boxes on the ilovedond.co.uk site, since only the last 10-15 minutes were uploaded there). I wonder if no one left CJ until late in the game because they couldn't trust her with such a burden at a critical point in the game since she appeared to have zero emotional investment in the game or with her fellow contestants :eyes:

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:03 am    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: 'Weird' feelings of DOND

JamesJMH91 wrote:
I always thought it was odd how CJ, who did 8 shows in 2007 before getting the alleged red card from the show, was without fail, always chosen during the early-middle stages of the games she appeared in (which meant it was impossible to track down any footage of her opening boxes on the ilovedond.co.uk site, since only the last 10-15 minutes were uploaded there). I wonder if no one left CJ until late in the game because they couldn't trust her with such a burden at a critical point in the game since she appeared to have zero emotional investment in the game or with her fellow contestants :eyes:

Actually, I just thought of another contestant who was shown the door before they could take that coveted walk down the wooden aisle to sit in the UK's most beloved wooden chair (which was probably on sale for £10 while gathering dust in a thrift shop by mid-2015, and then taken home by a family whose unruly 5-year-old probably destroyed it by swinging on it), Yvonne who spent the last 3 shows of season 4 on the wings, yet was nowhere to be seen at the start of season 5 and was never heard from ever again - we never even got to see her in casual attire since her ultra-short stay was in the seaside specials.

We've already heard the reasons why she ended up out on her ear (which seemed a bit odd to me - "You already won a gazillion pounds on a different game show and you're not from a struggling family who wants to win a couple of grand to save your dying dog, so you're out!"), but I noticed in her first 2 games, she seemed pretty relaxed and content when she was picked to open her box, but in her final game (Calum's game, the big season closer), she said "you deserve to win big money" with this rather disappointed-sounding tone in her voice, and when the credits rolled at the end of the show, Yvonne left the wings well after everyone else gushed in, and seemed to just walk straight past the big group at the table and out the studio door - it's like she actually knew she'd gotten the red card by that point, and was pretty much reduced to a mere spectator for her final show.

That exchange between Calum and Yvonne when he asked her to open her box was amusing

Calum: "Good luck with your game, by the way"
Yvonne: "Calum, are you sure?"
Calum: "No love, I was being sarcastic. You're already a rich girl so you don't deserve to sit in the chair, and you'll be on your merry way once I'm finished here!"

Last edited by JamesJMH91 on Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Matthew

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:32 pm    Author: Matthew    Post subject: Re: 'Weird' feelings of DOND

JamesJMH91 wrote:
JamesJMH91 wrote:

Actually, I just thought of another contestant who was shown the door before they could take that coveted walk down the wooden aisle to sit in the UK's most beloved wooden chair (which was probably on sale for £10 while gathering dust in a thrift shop by mid-2015, and then taken home by a family whose unruly 5-year-old probably destroyed it by swinging on it), Yvonne who spent the last 3 shows of season 4 on the wings, yet was nowhere to be seen at the start of season 5 and was never heard from ever again - we never even got to see her in casual attire since her ultra-short stay was in the seaside specials.

We've already heard the reasons why she ended up out on her ear (which seemed a bit odd to me - "You already won a gazillion pounds on a different game show and you're not from a struggling family who wants to win a couple of grand to save your dying dog, so you're out!"), but I noticed in her first 2 games, she seemed pretty relaxed and content when she was picked to open her box, but in her final game (Calum's game, the big season closer), she said "you deserve to win big money" with this rather disappointed-sounding tone in her voice, and when the credits rolled at the end of the show, she left the wings well after everyone else gushed in, Yvonne seem to just walk straight past the big group at the table and out the studio door - it's like she actually knew she'd gotten the red card by that point, and was pretty much reduced to a mere spectator for her final show.

That exchange between Calum and Yvonne when he asked her to open her box was amusing

Calum: "Good luck with your game, by the way"
Yvonne: "Calum, are you sure?"
Calum: "No love, I was being sarcastic. You're already a rich girl so you don't deserve to sit in the chair, and you'll be on your merry way once I'm finished here!"

Was that the same Yvonne who appeared on ITV’s Golden Balls in 2007 and stole all the money from her opponent and then promptly laughed in her opponent’s face?

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:20 pm    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: 'Weird' feelings of DOND

It was her indeed, maybe they didn't want this smug so-and-so to appear on their show....

James1978

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:18 am    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 'Weird' feelings of DOND

Found the game on YouTube - I never noticed her walking past the group at the end before! (Though it is me who said in the comments it's the mysterious Yvonne) :)

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

Matthew

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:18 pm    Author: Matthew    Post subject: Re: 'Weird' feelings of DOND

JamesJMH91 wrote:
It was her indeed, maybe they didn't want this smug so-and-so to appear on their show....

Wouldn’t surprise me one bit after her arrogant appearance on Golden Balls!

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:41 am    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: 'Weird' feelings of DOND

The people who won blue amounts during the "wakey" era of January-May 2007 were generally the least sympathetic blue winners ever, probably due to the fact that they were getting insanely generous offers and still turning them down! I think the only blue winner during that era who i geniunely felt sorry for was Philomena who seemed like a lovely lady and had a ridiculously unlucky game that peaked early in the low thousands and was down to a £5k game by 8-box.

Philomena's trainwreck game would pretty much set the standard for the games of 12-18 months later, but during THAT era of crazy gamblers and "stratospheric" offer generosity, it certainly felt extraordinary to have a game that peaked in the low thousands and didn't gave the player any chance whatsoever

higginson_ronan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:19 am    Author: higginson_ronan    Post subject: Re: 'Weird' feelings of DOND

James1978 wrote:
Found the game on YouTube - I never noticed her walking past the group at the end before! (Though it is me who said in the comments it's the mysterious Yvonne) :)

What other games was she on before that again? I think I have them uploaded on YouTube, if anyone can spot her do let me know

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:06 pm    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: 'Weird' feelings of DOND

higginson_ronan wrote:
James1978 wrote:

What other games was she on before that again? I think I have them uploaded on YouTube, if anyone can spot her do let me know

50p Irene's game (22/7/2009) and £29k Cyril (23/7/2009).

In all 3 games she was there, Yvonne was chosen at a critical point - she opened the £10 just before 5-box in Irene's game, the £100k at 3-box in Cyril's game (thus saving him from a forum-angering squander, as he'd just dealt for £29k on a £750/£75k/£100k final 3 - and that was after turning down £31k and £40k respectively! :smt011) and the £15k in the first box of the fifth round in Calum's game.

higginson_ronan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:28 pm    Author: higginson_ronan    Post subject: Re: 'Weird' feelings of DOND

James1978 wrote:

After 16 years you finally have a surname :P

James1978

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:31 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 'Weird' feelings of DOND

higginson_ronan wrote:
James1978 wrote:

After 16 years you finally have a surname :P

Trust me, 8 - 12 years ago the last thing I wanted was people knowing my surname given some of the enemies I made on here :)

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:40 am    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: 'Weird' feelings of DOND

The way 1p Matty's game went into absolute free-fall after he turned down the "£20k + 1 egg" offer felt like poetic justice for his cockiness at the start. Literally everything that could possibly go wrong went disastrously wrong after 11-box!:

- He took out all 7 reds one after another and then followed it up by taking out the 2 highest blue amounts, leaving him with almost the worst possible finish to a game

- He swerved away from the box he swapped away at the first offer, and took out £250k, then came back to his original box straight after, only to take out the next highest amount (£50k)

- He got no offers worth thinking about after the game started to apart, and was left helplessly playing on as his whole game came crashing down during the latter half of the game

- He failed to find the good egg at 5-box in an effort to try and rescue his game by getting an offer each box. Initially, he was torn between two eggs, and his alternative choice would've been the good egg!

- He took out the last red (£35k) in the very first box of the final round

- He joined the 1p club and learnt that he'd thrown away £50k in exchange for the smallest prize available (which means that if you include the £50k box he swapped away AND the £35k he could've won by taking the £20k + 1 egg offer and finding the good egg, then he unwittingly turned his back on £85,000 collectively, and got basically dead SQUAT in return!)

It was the cherry on top when the banker gave Matty back his money tree and tissue box! Now imagine if Matty did find the good egg and got an offer after each box (still taking out the £35k in the first box), with the final round dragging out while the atmosphere in the studio was totally dead and Matty being inconsolably crushed! :shock:

Last edited by JamesJMH91 on Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

higginson_ronan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:17 pm    Author: higginson_ronan    Post subject: Re: 'Weird' feelings of DOND

F*cking hell that's mad! That game amuses me so much

Matthew

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:49 pm    Author: Matthew    Post subject: Re: 'Weird' feelings of DOND

JamesJMH91 wrote:
The way 1p Matty's game went into absolute free-fall after he turned down the "£20k + 1 egg" offer felt like poetic justice for his cockiness at the start. Literally everything that could possibly go wrong went disastrously wrong after 11-box!:

- He took out all 7 reds one after another and then followed it up by taking out the 2 highest blue amounts, leaving him with almost the worst possible finish to a game

- He swerved away from the box he swapped away at the first offer, and took out £250k, then came back to his original box straight after, only to take out the next highest amount (£50k)

- He got no offers worth thinking about after the game started to apart, and was left helplessly playing on as his whole game came crashing down during the latter half of the game

- He failed to find the good egg at 5-box in an effort to try and rescue his game by getting an offer each box. Initially, he was torn between two eggs, and his alternative choice would've been the good egg!

- He joined the 1p club and learnt that he'd thrown away £50k in exchange for the smallest prize available (which means that if you include the £50k box he swapped away AND the £35k he could've won by taking the £20k + 1 egg offer and finding the good egg, then he unwittingly turned his back on £85,000 collectively, and got basically dead SQUAT in return!)

It was the cherry on top when the banker gave Matty back his money tree and tissue box! Now imagine if Matty did find the good egg and got an offer after each box (still taking out the £35k in the first box), with the final round dragging out while the atmosphere in the studio was totally dead and Matty being inconsolably crushed! :shock:

I just love it when a player who's so arrogant and cocksure (i.e. Matty) gets a final result that leaves them speechless and looking like "Woe is me"! I agree that was poetic justice when he didn't take that £20K + 1 egg offer, the game basically just fell into an abyss.

hogwild94

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:17 pm    Author: hogwild94    Post subject: Re: 'Weird' feelings of DOND
Global Moderator

I didn't see Matty's game when it first went out; in fact, I didn't watch it all the way through until last year when I did it as part of my classic re-review series, mainly to see if I agreed that Matty was arrogant.

Having done so, I wrote:
Well, in all honesty, no, I didn't. I can certainly understand why others would have, due to the bravado he displayed early in the show, but I honestly think that was just playing to the camera. He wasn't the first to do that, and he certainly wouldn't be the last. Nor the last to crash and burn like that.

I also don't think he regretted the swap that much, as it clearly what he wanted to do. I honestly think he regretted turning down the third offer more. KP said at the time that, had either of those second or third offers come at 8-box, he'd have taken it, and I find it hard to disagree.

I also think the show maybe suffers from being viewed in isolation, rather than in context following on from Matty's weeks on the wings beforehand, where apparently he was a prominent and popular figure and did the trails for the Easter shows. I remember James1978 saying that he found John G's crash a lot sadder after watching it after his time on the wings, where he came across well and provided good advice and encouragement to the others.

That just about sums up my feelings towards that particular game.

I did let out a guilty laugh when he went for "Fabregas's number, 4", as I very much doubt that's what that number is to him nowadays! :lol: :twisted:

Check out SLUDGE for original, non-cover rock music!

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:50 am    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: 'Weird' feelings of DOND

Matthew wrote:
JamesJMH91 wrote:

I just love it when a player who's so arrogant and cocksure (i.e. Matty) gets a final result that leaves them speechless and looking like "Woe is me"! I agree that was poetic justice when he didn't take that £20K + 1 egg offer, the game basically just fell into an abyss.

My favourite crash and burn game was £250 Theresa (22/4/2007). Turns down £21k on a somewhat volatile £100k-high 8-box board on which someone wouldn't even get offered 5-figures in any other era and totally demolishes her board and wins next to jack . Her "I'm not going home with nothing" reply to Leila advising her to deal made Theresa look like a right haughty piece of work - it had "asking for trouble" written straight through the middle of it! (paraphrasing what Noel said about John G's £8 offer)

[ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]