Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:18 am Last visit was: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:18 am

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close soon on 3 May 2024. More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

higginson_ronan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:30 pm    Author: higginson_ronan    Post subject: Re: 'Weird' feelings of DOND

Warnings: 0
James1978 wrote:
higginson_ronan wrote:
James1978 wrote:
Found the game on YouTube - I never noticed her walking past the group at the end before! (Though it is me who said in the comments it's the mysterious Yvonne) :)

After 16 years you finally have a surname :P

Trust me, 8 - 12 years ago the last thing I wanted was people knowing my surname given some of the enemies I made on here :)

*cough* *cough* Location: Ipswich *cough* *cough* :)

Fan of many game shows and Series 87 Champion of Countdown!

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:17 pm    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: 'Weird' feelings of DOND

hogwild94 wrote:
I didn't see Matty's game when it first went out; in fact, I didn't watch it all the way through until last year when I did it as part of my classic re-review series, mainly to see if I agreed that Matty was arrogant.

Having done so, I wrote:
Well, in all honesty, no, I didn't. I can certainly understand why others would have, due to the bravado he displayed early in the show, but I honestly think that was just playing to the camera. He wasn't the first to do that, and he certainly wouldn't be the last. Nor the last to crash and burn like that.

I also don't think he regretted the swap that much, as it clearly what he wanted to do. I honestly think he regretted turning down the third offer more. KP said at the time that, had either of those second or third offers come at 8-box, he'd have taken it, and I find it hard to disagree.

I also think the show maybe suffers from being viewed in isolation, rather than in context following on from Matty's weeks on the wings beforehand, where apparently he was a prominent and popular figure and did the trails for the Easter shows. I remember James1978 saying that he found John G's crash a lot sadder after watching it after his time on the wings, where he came across well and provided good advice and encouragement to the others.

That just about sums up my feelings towards that particular game.

I did let out a guilty laugh when he went for "Fabregas's number, 4", as I very much doubt that's what that number is to him nowadays! :lol: :twisted:

I remember Matty being a very popular contestant and having a pretty decent run on the wings (25 games was it?). I think that was a big part of why his game left behind such a negative impact on the other contestants (2008 was a bad time for popular contestants having trainwreck games which would greatly affect the others on the wings waiting to play, and it would result in many weeks of cautious dealing and players being emotional wrecks. And every time it looked like they were turning a corner, the same thing would happen again. It didn't take until £75k Keran's game in November (some 8 months later) to finally break the frustrating cycle and trigger a much-needed revival era going into 2009

Matthew

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:35 am    Author: Matthew    Post subject: Re: 'Weird' feelings of DOND

Location: Paignton, Devon but originally from Keighley, West Yorkshire
JamesJMH91 wrote:
hogwild94 wrote:
I didn't see Matty's game when it first went out; in fact, I didn't watch it all the way through until last year when I did it as part of my classic re-review series, mainly to see if I agreed that Matty was arrogant.

Having done so, I wrote:
Well, in all honesty, no, I didn't. I can certainly understand why others would have, due to the bravado he displayed early in the show, but I honestly think that was just playing to the camera. He wasn't the first to do that, and he certainly wouldn't be the last. Nor the last to crash and burn like that.

I also don't think he regretted the swap that much, as it clearly what he wanted to do. I honestly think he regretted turning down the third offer more. KP said at the time that, had either of those second or third offers come at 8-box, he'd have taken it, and I find it hard to disagree.

I also think the show maybe suffers from being viewed in isolation, rather than in context following on from Matty's weeks on the wings beforehand, where apparently he was a prominent and popular figure and did the trails for the Easter shows. I remember James1978 saying that he found John G's crash a lot sadder after watching it after his time on the wings, where he came across well and provided good advice and encouragement to the others.

That just about sums up my feelings towards that particular game.

I did let out a guilty laugh when he went for "Fabregas's number, 4", as I very much doubt that's what that number is to him nowadays! :lol: :twisted:

I remember Matty being a very popular contestant and having a pretty decent run on the wings (25 games was it?). I think that was a big part of why his game left behind such a negative impact on the other contestants (2008 was a bad time for popular contestants having trainwreck games which would greatly affect the others on the wings waiting to play, and it would result in many weeks of cautious dealing and players being emotional wrecks. And every time it looked like they were turning a corner, the same thing would happen again. It didn't take until £75k Keran's game in November (some 8 months later) to finally break the frustrating cycle and trigger a much-needed revival era going into 2009

Absolutely true but be honest, 10-15 minutes into that game you wouldn't have put any money on the fact that she'd have comeback from a 9-2 situation at 11 box and destroyed the left side of the board in the next 9 boxes and ultimately produce certainly in my opinion, the biggest turnaround ever in DOND history by winning £75k? I certainly wouldn't have! I remember thinking at 11 box: "OMG, this is turning into Nicky Tucker II..." :smt009 :( :shock:

hogwild94

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:48 pm    Author: hogwild94    Post subject: Re: 'Weird' feelings of DOND
Global Moderator

Keran was, in some ways, the complete opposite of Matty, in that she did next to nothing on the wings; if she hadn't had such an explosive game, she'd have probably been forgotten about very quickly. Same goes for quite a lot of the contestants we all remember to this day, such as Corinne.

Check out SLUDGE for original, non-cover rock music!

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:51 pm    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: 'Weird' feelings of DOND

Since today is the anniversary date, can anyone remember back in 2007/2008 when H used to keep saying that Nigel's game from March 23rd, 2007 was his #1 worst game ever?

Lo and behold, guess who would end up playing their game on the anniversary date of their favourite game 2 years later? Irony is great isn't it ;) :lol:

American Coupon Boy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:02 pm    Author: American Coupon Boy    Post subject: Re: 'Weird' feelings of DOND

I think it was mainly because Noel's Wakey Winter attitude along with the blue chants were at their peak at the time.

The next series begins immediately after the premiere of the Deal or No Deal revival.

James1978

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:05 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 'Weird' feelings of DOND

Nigel did seem to be the king of the blue chants IIRC. I clearly remember his voice being heard over all the others when the chanting was "penny, penny" in Chantelle's game when she was left with 75k/35k/1p and "3,3, 3" in Doug's game when he was left with 100k/50k/3k.

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

higginson_ronan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:30 pm    Author: higginson_ronan    Post subject: Re: 'Weird' feelings of DOND

James1978 wrote:
Nigel did seem to be the king of the blue chants IIRC. I clearly remember his voice being heard over all the others when the chanting was "penny, penny" in Chantelle's game when she was left with 75k/35k/1p and "3,3, 3" in Doug's game when he was left with 100k/50k/3k.

Wasn't there "Red, Red, Red" in Ian's game too? :ponder:

Fan of many game shows and Series 87 Champion of Countdown!

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:58 am    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: 'Weird' feelings of DOND

More of a personal feeling about DoND, but I find a lot of games from 2008/2009 a lot easier to watch back on now, as (being an avid UK DoND fan from abroad) i had to rely on the now-defunct ilovedond.co.uk website to obtain footage of the games, and back then - and this was before i became totally loyal to the forum - my viewing experiences and opinions about the games were always being tarnished somewhat by the crowd who pretty much used the site as a 24 hour picketing ground for their constant "no gimmicks" tirades like they had nothing better to do. Sure i agreed with some of things they said, but it got to the point where they were just saying negative things about the show and the contestants, and were also incredibly opinionated, pretty much lecturing people who expressed differing view points into agreeing with them :?

I remember these guys basically cried sacrilege over any sort of gimmick or twist that was used - e.g. banker's gamble, themed weeks, players being told what their next offer might be etc. (they even referred to these as "cardinal sins"! :shock: )

I'm currently watching £50 Matt's game from July 2009 on YouTube, and this was one of those games were a young male contestant played, took reasonable gambles, and once the last red was taken out, he looked absolutely mortified and the atmosphere was totally dead (forget the ludicrous banker handout at the end). I remember Matt was one of the contestants being (along with a couple of other male players who won blue amounts and took it badly, i.e. 1p Matty and £1 Martin - The latter is the most sympathetic one obviously) targeted by the idiots who posted on that site around 2009, and seemed to take pleasure in seeing people win blues and take it badly :smt009 :smt019

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:54 am    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: 'Weird' feelings of DOND

Speaking of the "dramatic and emotional" trainwreck games of the 45-minute show era like £1 Martin, 1p Matty, 1p Trevor etc. something i've noticed about these games is that the cameraman would always "fixate" on certain contestants on the wings during the last 10-15 minutes of the game (i.e. from the second break onwards), and make it feel like other contestant's that were there didn't exist due to the lack of camera exposure

Like during the last part of Martin's game for example, the cameraman kept focusing on contestants such as Kate, Laura and Dan, and if they didn't show anyone opening their box during the last part of the game (or someone standing beside a box opener), it felt like they were never there. I remember players like Nicholas, Aurora, Hassan, Bessie and Sid not getting any camera exposure at all during the last part of the game, thus making it easy to forget they were there. Likewise in Trevor's game, where it felt like players such as David, Flash, Mike, Alison and Patrick that were there didn't exist during the last part of the game due to the lack of camera exposure.

What i also found interesting about Martin's game was how they hardly showed any reactions on the wings during Martin's emotional meltdown after the big box reveal (apart from Kate looking quite upset as she opened the final box and Dan with his head in his hands)!

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:49 am    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: 'Weird' feelings of DOND

Regarding my earlier post regarding Monica from July 2006, I've finally been able to actually see her game and........it was actually worse than I thought it would be!

She seemed like a right cold and moody piece of work, and I legitimately laughed when the £250k was revealed in the fifth round as Monica angrily stamped her feet! I honestly thought Janelle was nicer!! :shock:

[ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]