Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:24 pm Last visit was: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:24 pm

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 6 posts ] 

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:02 am    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: The bots have killed the forum for me

Warnings: 0
This'll probably be the last time I ever post on this forum, I've just lost interest in this forum due to the near-lack of activity since DoND ended in 2016. Hardly any talking points any points or even regulars stopping by to see how things are going. But these stupid bots posting their spam threads on here now have REALLY put me off wanting to come on here anymore. I'm tempted to say some rather nasty things about these err, would you call them "people"? since spam bots are one of my biggest pet peeves when coming online, but i won't risk getting banned so i'll keep it to myself

It's sad really, it was inevitable that this forum's activity would eventually die off after the show finished, and even while the show was still running in it's last 2 or so years, you could see the decline in the forum's interest in DoND with a lot of long-time regulars not coming on here anymore. It's still very sad to see the forum fall into this state of disrepair (particular since these spamming algorithms randomly started to take over) having once been a hive of activity while the show was in it's prime.

So, i probably won't be posting on here anymore, i'll still drop by to read old game threads for nostalgia's sake and every now and again i might log in just to look back at the games from seasons 1 & 2 from my personal DoND series.

I hope i didn't come across too nasty, but i had to get that off my chest.

Stay safe everyone and let's pray we make it through these tough times :smt023

psychokiller

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:06 pm    Author: psychokiller    Post subject: Re: The bots have killed the forum for me

JamesJMH91 wrote:
Stay safe everyone and let's pray we make it through these tough times :smt023

We will. I'll give you props for saying ''tough'' rather than f*cking ''unprecedented'' or ''uncertain'' (it really, really is neither), but we will.

As for the rest of that, it does read a bit harsh. This forum is an absolute relic that's been forgotten by over 95% of its total userbase. It's ultra niche and had its moment in time - it really shouldn't even exist. That you can still log on and post new threads, let alone read the archive, is a credit to the administrators and their skewed priorities.

Of course there won't be new discussions. The show ended years ago - its peak was 14-12 years ago. You'd get about three replies over a month, by the same faces. Sadly, we really do just have our memories left of the once bustling forum.

Imagine, though, that this show was wiped like the Dr Whos of old? And no copies were available on YouTube, even? We're lucky, there's plenty of this show 'out there' to reminisce on... and yes, it's a shameless little self congratulations for my efforts in building up its online presence. Doesn't the Miami Vice theme fit quite well? Sets the mood and doesn't sound terribly unlike the actual in-house music itself.

And as for the 'bots? Mildly annoying when you think someone's actually made a new comment, but nothing more. They're dealt with fairly swiftly. Just the nature of reality that they now inhabit a moribund forum quite like weeds and spiders take over an abandoned property.

You won't get banned for cussing them out, no-one's been banned since 1994 and even then just about every banned member made a return with no-one really bothered enough to give them another slipper dosage.

daniel123

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:13 am    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: The bots have killed the forum for me
Forum Games Moderator

Sad to see you go James, it's been a pleasure to share 8 years of completely pointless Deal or No Deal discussions with you. :D

And hogwild of course, not many of us left now. I'll be carrying on until the end, whenever that may be - if there is one - but I can't blame anyone else for moving on to pastures new. Being completely honest, I can't leave, and I think that's been blatantly obvious for a very long time. It's a part of me, and however much I look for another explanation, it's probably as simple as that.

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

mr_northern_guy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:21 pm    Author: mr_northern_guy    Post subject: Re: The bots have killed the forum for me

daniel123 wrote:
Sad to see you go James, it's been a pleasure to share 8 years of completely pointless Deal or No Deal discussions with you. :D

And hogwild of course, not many of us left now. I'll be carrying on until the end, whenever that may be - if there is one - but I can't blame anyone else for moving on to pastures new. Being completely honest, I can't leave, and I think that's been blatantly obvious for a very long time. It's a part of me, and however much I look for another explanation, it's probably as simple as that.

I'm the same. I only visit the forum out of habit more than anything else.

h2005

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:56 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: The bots have killed the forum for me
Administrator & Global Moderator

Unfortunately the forum software is relatively old and bots have become 'intelligent' enough to slip through the anti-spam devices on forums with older software. They tend to be fairly tame and only post a couple of links before disappearing - still quite annoying though.

Kestral looked into upgrading the forum software, but due to issues including the huge number of posts on here since 2006, it wouldn't be a simple upgrade and probably wouldn't be worth the time and effort due to the relatively low usage the forum understandably gets now.

If the bots got ridiculously bad, new registrations could be disabled but it'd be a shame to do that and prevent new people being able to post and ask questions about old shows etc.

As psychokiller says, there's not really much new that can be discussed about the show now given it's been finished for nearly four years. Maybe some life will get pumped back into it if the show is revived in some form - it's surely only a matter of time now before one of the channels decides to bring it back in some way, even if it's without Noel.

daniel123

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:05 am    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: The bots have killed the forum for me
Forum Games Moderator

An optimistic take on the situation there David, but I'm inclined to share it. This place was - is - intrinsically linked to Deal or No Deal, so its fortunes would inevitably fluctuate with those of the show, but that leaves it open to a resurgence if the show is brought back at any time.
As you say, that isn't an unlikely scenario, so it may be that this is a lengthy period of inactivity for the forum, rather than the gradual 'fade to black' that we've come to interpret it as. I would dearly love to see regular activity here again - I think the forum deserves as much, a new generation of DoND fans making this place their home.

The unavoidable fact that the forum and the website both are now antiquated should work in our favour too; everyone likes a bit of retro, after all! Not so much the likes of ourselves, because we've been staring at it for a decade and a half, but for those who've grown up with iPhones and apps and sleek, modern designs, I suspect it would be an interesting change of scenery.

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

[ 6 posts ] 
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]