Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:35 pm Last visit was: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:35 pm

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 19 posts ] 

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:53 am    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Events you're surprised did/didn't happen on DoND

Warnings: 0
Since DoND is nearing the end of it's run and will be gone for good in just a couple of months time. Just like the show itself, the forum has been near-comatose since early April (My personal DoND fan series with Jimmy Carr is basically the only noticeable activity on here now), but in an effort (perhaps desperate) to try and bring up some discussions on here for once. Let's talk about some events that never happened on DoND that we thought would happen, and since there's only a handful of shows left, i doubt it'll change. But also some events that DID happen that people thought wouldn't happen

Events that didn't happen:

£20k 'nightmare' at 5-box - No one ever had a 5-box where they had £20,000 as the lowest amount. Probably the best we've had was £75k Amy who was guaranteed £15,000 at 5-box

West to West wing-walkers - Throughout the show's history, we've seen players disappear from the wings and be replaced by someone else, then return in a different position, and there was even a time during the early days of the show where some players where replaced for 2 or 3 shows, then returned in their original positions, and the person who replaced them changed positions. Here's the thing though, when it comes to players relocating to different wing positions, we've seen players from the west wing relocate to the east wing, players from the east wing relocate to the west wing, even players from the east wing reappear in a different position in the east wing. But i'm surprised that we've never seen any players in the west wing disappear and reappear in a different part of the west wing!

8 reds at the start: While £5k Matt's first 2 rounds were all blue round, resulting in some record high early offers, no one has been unlucky enough to lose 8 reds in the first two rounds (In banned member Redrum666's series, one of his players took out 9 nine reds at the start!)

Someone playing to the end and swapping the £250k away - Thankfully, it didn't. Suzanne swapped away £100k to win the big prize, but Alice was probably the closest as she struggled with her decision to swap, but thankfully she didn't and she was rewarded with the ultimate payload! :D

Event i'm surprised did happen
:

Someone selling a power 5 for a blue amount
: Here's one we hoped wouldn't happen, but unfortunately did in December after a deflated Rosie salvaged a measly £700 on a £35k/4-blues 5-box and had the £35k on the table all along. It seems contestants named Rosie have struggled deal-wise!

The nightmare opening round: Having seen it done as a joke twice. Jean from January 2016 did the unthinkable and actually took out the whole power 5 in the first 5 boxes! Thankfully, she was lucky enough to turn it around and go away with a reasonable sum

psychokiller

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:13 pm    Author: psychokiller    Post subject: Re: Events you're surprised did/didn't happen on DoND

JamesJMH91 wrote:
8 reds at the start: While £5k Matt's first 2 rounds were all blue round, resulting in some record high early offers, no one has been unlucky enough to lose 8 reds in the first two rounds (In banned member Redrum666's series, one of his players took out 9 nine reds at the start!)

It's quite a testament to DOND's irrelevance and depleted audience in its later years that this very event *did* happen but is seemingly forgotten. It'd have entered DOND folklore had it occured a decade ago. To boot, it was actually 9 reds too.

American Coupon Boy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:50 pm    Author: American Coupon Boy    Post subject: Re: Events you're surprised did/didn't happen on DoND

[quote ="psychokiller"]
JamesJMH91 wrote:

It's quite a testament to DOND's irrelevance and depleted audience in its later years that this very event *did* happen but is seemingly forgotten. It'd have entered DOND folklore had it occured a decade ago. To boot, it was actually 9 reds too.[/quote]

Yep, Sue from July 2014 started her game with 9 reds in a row: http://dond.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=26219

Quote:
Someone selling a power 5 for a blue amount: Here's one we hoped wouldn't happen, but unfortunately did in December after a deflated Rosie salvaged a measly £700 on a £35k/4-blues 5-box and had the £35k on the table all along. It seems contestants named Rosie have struggled deal-wise! 

Not only that, but Andrew sold the £35k for absolutely NOTHING earlier this year thanks to Box 23! :shock:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=27303&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=20

The next series begins immediately after the premiere of the Deal or No Deal revival.

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:30 pm    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: Events you're surprised did/didn't happen on DoND

Some more things I'm surprised never happened

- Excluding Lucy and the original 22. Players playing after doing less than 7 shows or more than 34 shows

- An Australian player appear on the show :smt011

Gameplay situations that surprisingly never occurred that I thought would've occurred (the last handful of shows could change it at the last minute):

- Power-5/3 blues at 8-box

- Top 3/5 blues at 8-box

- Apart from Alex, I don't think anyone else has had an all-red opening round without touching the power 5

- A £35k/£100k finish in live play

- A £50k offer on a blue/£100k finish, this would probably be 2005-only material, but the closest we got what Jan's hypothetical offer of £48k in 2005

- On-the-mean offers occurring on good red finishes like £5k/£15k

- 5p being offered on a 1p/10p finish

- This may sound a little far-fetched. But remember when they used to have the themed weeks where the banker would look in the player's box if they failed the 5-box twist? Given the banker often used themed week gimmicks like extra offers in normal games like extra offers, i was half expecting him to look inside someone's box in a normal game at one point

American Coupon Boy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:54 pm    Author: American Coupon Boy    Post subject: Re: Events you're surprised did/didn't happen on DoND

Quote:
Gameplay situations that surprisingly never occurred that I thought would've occurred (the last handful of shows could change it at the last minute):

- Power-5/3 blues at 8-box

- Top 3/5 blues at 8-box

- Apart from Alex, I don't think anyone else has had an all-red opening round without touching the power 5

- A £35k/£100k finish in live play

- A £50k offer on a blue/£100k finish, this would probably be 2005-only material, but the closest we got what Jan's hypothetical offer of £48k in 2005

- On-the-mean offers occurring on good red finishes like £5k/£15k

- 5p being offered on a 1p/10p finish

- This may sound a little far-fetched. But remember when they used to have the themed weeks where the banker would look in the player's box if they failed the 5-box twist? Given the banker often used themed week gimmicks like extra offers in normal games like extra offers, i was half expecting him to look inside someone's box in a normal game at one point

A lot of these did actually happen:

Tendai from March 2014 had a Power 5/3 blues 8 box (and ended up crashing from £35,000 to a HALF PENNY :shock: :( )

Ozzie from September 2013 had a 5 blues/Top 3 eight box (and dealt a stingy £15,000 :smt011 )

The Banker has made a LOT of on the mean offers on all red finishes recently, though most were out of living play.

The Banker offered a second shot at the button (worth downside being he'll look in their box of they fail) several times early last year, and every single player who accepted the offer failed to predict within 10% and the Banker looked inside their box. Even before all that, Matt from May 2013 let the Banker look in his box when he was offered a Banker's Gamble on a £500/£35,000 finish after he dealt £11,500 earlier.

The next series begins immediately after the premiere of the Deal or No Deal revival.

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:57 am    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: Events you're surprised did/didn't happen on DoND

Proves just how much I've lost interest in the show since 2012 :smt011

We can cross those off the list then :smt023

I guess it's not much the really

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:26 pm    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: Events you're surprised did/didn't happen on DoND

How about certain sums of money that weren't offered like £58,000, £98,000, £79,000, £83,000, £89,000 etc.

(I can seem to remember £98k being a proveout offer once but I'm not sure :? Funnily enough, Mally's game was the only time £54,000 was ever offered, proveout or live play, and the only two times £57,000 were 'offered' were of course £57k Brenda's game, and as a stupidly inflated proveout offer in Chris' game in December 2005!) :shock:

Also, has a player ever doubled-swapped apart from Emma who swapped her box at the end then swapped it back? (e.g. someone swaps their box at 17-box, then swaps for different box again at 2-box)

Other things i'm surprised have happened are periods were they could have such an awful run of bad luck and 'safety first' cautionesses, they could go for weeks on end without anyone winning more than £20,000. The worst period i can think of was Early Season 4, where the first three weeks (Brian-Ruby) had only one large-ish win (£23k Mike, which was a third offer deal and resulted in a power-5 squander :roll: ) 10 blue wins, 4 low 4-figure wins, £4k Beryl 'kind of' getting away with doing a deal that was almost as cautious as her 2006 namesake, an 'OPW' which only happened because of the hypo-swap, and worst of all, the blue wins were basically unavoidable due to banker stingyness and then covered up by handouts afterwards! :smt011

June 2010 from Adam to Cassie was a similarly dire run - No OPWs, Only one significant win (£41k Jodie, and even that was spoiled by a squandered dream finish!), 6 blue wins, 2 power-5 wins that were snatched away by the player swapping, Maurice missing out on a £35k/£75k after taking £18,500, Mark having an OPW snatched away at the last minute, and apart from £12k Steve's TPW the only 'player' wins were for mediocre 4-figure amounts! It was a big contrast to June the following year, which produced some excellent games in the aftermath of Suzanne!

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:57 am    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: Events you're surprised did/didn't happen on DoND

Did anyone ever win a power 5-level (£35k+) amount of money after having an all-red opening round?

h2005

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:29 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: Events you're surprised did/didn't happen on DoND
Administrator & Global Moderator

I wonder if there was ever a streaker on the set.

James1978

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:25 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: Events you're surprised did/didn't happen on DoND

I REALLY wish someone had dealt the first offer - obviously that couldn't happen once the Offer Button was in play, but the prime candidate for that would have been Howard - I bet he really had regrets about not doing so!

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:57 pm    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: Events you're surprised did/didn't happen on DoND

A surprisingly rare scenario we had were 5-box boards with the £10k, £15k and £20k as the three highest amounts in play. I can only remember this happening on 4 occasions (all except one of them were from 2010) - Karen from December 06 and Dai, Imani and Hetty from 2010 (by the way, i think Hetty was the only person to have an all-red 5-box without any of the power 5 in play!)

American Coupon Boy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:27 am    Author: American Coupon Boy    Post subject: Re: Events you're surprised did/didn't happen on DoND

There was also Dave from July 2013, who also had the £3,000 as backup but still dealt a stingy £5,000. :roll:

psychokiller

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:33 am    Author: psychokiller    Post subject: Re: Events you're surprised did/didn't happen on DoND

I'm quite surprised that almost every single two-box configuration was seen in Live Play. The exception was £35k/£100k, which I always associate with Paddy's Day James from 2006.

I can't think of anything to add into this thread that hasn't been covered. You'd start digging into ridiculously convoluted and niche gameplay elements that ''hadn't been seen'' and I don't have that many years in me.

And besides, there's years of shows I didn't watch, I could offer contributions only to find they did actually happen. Did some rando from the audience come down onto the floor to open a box on the wings? Probably did in some wacky themed week from mid-2014!

There has to be several instances of contestants swearing (properly, loud, clear, frustrated, 'goalkeeper having been scored past' levels of anger) when a crucial box didn't go their way, a few nearly-swears have made the edit before ('overdraft' Hannah comes perilously close at one point, well I was always going to find some way of mentioning her game, ey). The time has passed when it comes to a TV broadcast, but surely someone can access the rushes (if they exist) and stick some Norden's onto the webs. The demand for DOND amongst the ex-diehards is still strong, I should know, I'm always batting away requests for episodes that I sent to the landfill in 1956.

hogwild94

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:51 pm    Author: hogwild94    Post subject: Re: Events you're surprised did/didn't happen on DoND
Global Moderator

I believe Constance from late 2008 once swore after revealing the £250,000 in someone's game, which resulted in a massive mood whiplash in the studio! :lol:

Also, one chap, I think it was Neil who played shortly after Corinne and had the £425k proveout round, when his name was called at the top of the show, he let out a profanity and they had to reshoot it!

Also, some random person coming down to open a box totally did happen in 2014! Someone on the wings got thrown out for some stupid reason I cannot possibly remember, so a pilgrim was called in to do the honours. Turns out said pilgrim had applied to be on the show several times, so they made her the next day's newbie and she got to stay for a few weeks and play the game! (Now that I write this, I strongly suspect the whole thing may have been a bit of a setup!)

Check out SLUDGE for original, non-cover rock music!

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:52 pm    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: Events you're surprised did/didn't happen on DoND

I know this is a personal choice thing rather than a stats-related matter, but has there ever been a string of games with the same person on the wings chosen first or left until last?

The only examples I know of are Alan from January 06, who was chosen first on three consecutive games during his stint on the wings (Max, Irene and Nick's games), and didn't Will from April 09 get left until last on his first few shows on the wings, hence his nickname "Lonely Will"?

James1978

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:43 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: Events you're surprised did/didn't happen on DoND

James1978 wrote:
I REALLY wish someone had dealt the first offer - obviously that couldn't happen once the Offer Button was in play, but the prime candidate for that would have been Howard - I bet he really had regrets about not doing so!

I'm gradually re-reading the game threads from 2013 to 2016 as I was just casually reading most of them by that point, but here's one where I might well have dealt the first offer. £16,500 with 3 significant reds gone! (BTW I'm shocked to hear there was a male player called "Steph"!!) :)

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=24234

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

James1978

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 7:53 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: Events you're surprised did/didn't happen on DoND

Heck there was a £20,000 opening offer a few weeks after that (Charlie). I'd love to deal on that :)

Anyway these early 2013 games I'm reading through again did seem to have quite generous offers all round - I always felt the stingy/scaredy-cat summer was what was memorable about that year, but obviously that didn't kick in till later in the year!

hogwild94

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 7:32 pm    Author: hogwild94    Post subject: Re: Events you're surprised did/didn't happen on DoND
Global Moderator

Yeah, the first four/five months of 2013 were an underrated era for the show, probably it's final truly good era.

In fact, June wasn't actually that bad either. And December was a pretty good month too, and not just because it was the final month before Box 23 came along.

And yeah, I think we all wish Steph had taken his first offer. But, realistically, a 17 or 14 box deal was never going to happen (again) after Josh's game, as Noel would just use bring up that deal not working out every time someone didn't NO DEAL one of the first two offers after less than a minute.

Check out SLUDGE for original, non-cover rock music!

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 11:57 pm    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: Events you're surprised did/didn't happen on DoND

I think the bad run in 2013 started with Phyllis rather than Iris. In the last 2 weeks before Iris, we had Phyllis having a total trainwreck game, Gary and Guy just salvaging low red wins from trainwreck games (with the former having the red in his box and the latter getting extra offers), Leonie dealing for just a couple of grand with the £75k at 5-box, Loreen getting a not-quite OPW by taking a sub-par offer with the £250k remaining at 5-box, Craig and April dealing for sub-par offers on blue/£35k finishes, Suwanna only getting an OPW because of extra offers, Dee narrowly avoiding a massive squander, Sabine's game suddenly turning into a trainwreck with her just getting £1,000 out of it, Julius taking a 2-box gamble and failing badly, Tia becoming the third player that year to do the worst deal ever with the biggie on the table, and Ryan's game was kind of "the calm before the storm" as he had a strong game and great offers even though it wasn't quite an OPW

May 2013 was the calm before the storm, and the first half of June was kind of the "prelude" to the bad run

[ 19 posts ] 
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]