Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 12:44 pm Last visit was: Sun May 05, 2024 12:44 pm

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close on 21 June 2024 (extended deadline). More info here.

Deal or No Deal will return for a new series later in 2024.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

BankerSpanker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:06 pm    Author: BankerSpanker    Post subject: Re: When's Deal Back?

Warnings: 0
It seems that another series of 15 to 1 will be starting straight after the current series. I guess that will be C4's regular 3 o'clock slot now.

Fan of classic rock and metal

mr_northern_guy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:32 pm    Author: mr_northern_guy    Post subject: Re: When's Deal Back?

Everyone who thinks/thought DoND was on it's last legs...take a bow, folks. Can't see any other ending myself now.

psychokiller

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:14 pm    Author: psychokiller    Post subject: Re: When's Deal Back?

It's all but explicitly confirmed. You can't get more passive than what they're doing now. It's a weather-beaten train, running on the last dregs of coal, down to one piston and mournfully dragging its stock into the station, the carriages containing the final few followers of the show. The rear coach is a special one, though. It contains an as-yet unused coffin. This will be used to lay Edmond's career to rest.

It seems they allowed the show to see out 10 years and it's just barely managed this. It will be a strange party, in the sense that it'll be in name only and clouded by the unsettling atmosphere. Like when an imminently to divorce couple throw an anniversary party to keep up pretenses for their old friends and family.

Mark

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:12 am    Author: Mark    Post subject: Re: When's Deal Back?

Yup, it's returning 21st September at 1:10pm and it's a DOUBLE TROUBLE - Grandparents VS Grandchildren

http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/dr725 ... andparents

rico7

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:00 am    Author: rico7    Post subject: Re: When's Deal Back?

Mark wrote:
Yup, it's returning 21st September at 1:10pm and it's a DOUBLE TROUBLE - Grandparents VS Grandchildren

http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/dr725 ... andparents

:( Long gone are the days of it being scheduled at peak time where if you missed the episode at 4:15 pm you could not just watch it on Ch4+1 at 5:15 but at 6:15 pm on More4 and 7:15 pm on More4+1

daniel123

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:42 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: When's Deal Back?
Forum Games Moderator

Garth Brooks - The Dance

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

psychokiller

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:43 pm    Author: psychokiller    Post subject: Re: When's Deal Back?

Now that we have surely reached the stage where the show is finished with 21 people yet to play their game - what becomes of them?

They *could* just give them a pat on the shoulder with a ''There there. Hard luck'' before sending them home to cry over the loss of a potential few thousand. Or they pay them off with £10k. I'd be feeling a bit tetchy now if I was a winger at the time the last episode was wrapped. The move to a slot reserved for bored housewife and unemployed viewing, Noel's sale of his mansion located near to the studio and the lack of a new contract bound up with Channel 4 not denying that they intend to move on - it is done. Roasted over the fire.

Dizdazdoz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:51 pm    Author: Dizdazdoz    Post subject:

I carried on watching but firmly believe moving from 45 mind to 1hr was the start of a decline (viewing figures would be interesting).

Box 23 I never took too, a gimmick to help players who a terrible game mostly.

Dond worked as it was basic, shortish & familiar. Now it feels dragged out, contestants who are wannabees & desperate.

daniel123

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:20 am    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: When's Deal Back?
Forum Games Moderator

I suppose this is, as they say, 'It'.

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

psychokiller

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:42 am    Author: psychokiller    Post subject: Re:

Dizdazdoz wrote:
contestants who are wannabees & desperate.

It has always had contestants like these, going raaaaaaaht back to early 2006. Being desperate is easily one thing that most contestants share in common. Would you be more concerned with putting on a 'show' or taking an easy £20k? I know that it'd be a ''wham, bam, thank you mam!'' for me, especially now that you'd be putting on a show for an audience share of sod all and nothing.

daniel123

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:52 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: When's Deal Back?
Forum Games Moderator

Well, yeah. It's a game show, for entertainment, excitement, distraction. If you weren't a wannabe or a wannabe wannabe, or at least a tragic story or a tragic story gone right, you didn't get the gig. I never got my Golden Honeysuckle Silver Platinum Ticket. I'll be glad to see the end of the whole thing. It was *beep*.

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:18 pm    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: When's Deal Back?

It's sad for me to say this, but i do think it is time for DoND to move on now. They should just formally announce the cancellation and get it over with

I think DoND itself (And this is worldwide, not just the UK) is, dare i say it, a dated fad that belongs in the 2003-2009 era, really. The US version was cancelled some years ago, and our version here in Australia was abruptly cancelled in October 2013, after running for a whole 10 years (After which they just showed repeats at nauseum until one week ago when they finally ditched it to put our version of 'The Chase' in the timeslot - We have Anne on our version, woohoo!! :-D)

Yeah, time for UK DoND's final curtain call, i feel. Take a bow Edmonds, you've done a great job :smt023

Last edited by JamesJMH91 on Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:07 am, edited 4 times in total.

BankerSpanker

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:27 pm    Author: BankerSpanker    Post subject: Re: When's Deal Back?

I couldn't help but laugh when Noel said "here's to another 10 years" at the end of last night's show. I can't see it lasting more than 10 weeks at the stupid 1:10 timeslot they shoved it in! :roll:

Fan of classic rock and metal

Dizdazdoz

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:24 am    Author: Dizdazdoz    Post subject:

I recall players who wanted money for, new carpets as he peed on his when drunk, students for uni fees, older players topping up pension, dream holidays (sometimes offered rather than cash) & then occasional wacky players like the old women who wanted a car, turned down 88k and won 1p.

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:47 am    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: When's Deal Back?

The thing that does annoy me about DoND, is that players should be there to enjoy themselves more than anything, but more often then not, it seems to be putting on this charade as a charity show where people desperately need money.

The players' attitudes should be "I'm here for a good time, if i win enough money, i can have some fun, go on a holiday, maybe a pay a few bills, and if i win nothing, i've still had an awesome time none the less", but we keep getting these players bringing sob-stories on and seem to be using the show as an ATM to pull out a sum of money between say £5,000-£20,000 because of their desperate need for money.

I can respect people needing money due to personal circumstances, but it makes DoND look more like some charity show to help with life problems, and not to mention it makes the show extremely predictable as the players pretty much just deal at first sign of good money, regardless of how strong the board is

In the early days of the show, the players seemed to really enjoy themselves and didn't make any sob-stories out of deceased relatives or any other bad moments in their lives to be 'deserving' of money, nor was there any of this crying over some £500 debt they had or feeling the need to deal early so they 'didn't let their kids down if they played on and it went wrong'

Sorry for the ranting guys :)

psychokiller

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:23 pm    Author: psychokiller    Post subject: Re:

Dizdazdoz wrote:
players who wanted money for, new carpets as he peed on his when drunk

They really tied the room together.

daniel123

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:33 am    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: When's Deal Back?
Forum Games Moderator

Good points there James - although the magnitude of a £500 debt is stratospheric if you haven't even a few pounds to spare...

Most of us are insolvent, frankly. We've got debts here and then, unpaid this and that, it happens, that's the present world and it doesn't treat you well if you work for it, rather than vice-versa. I believe there must be entire lifestyle changes, seismic shifts in how we see the world we inhabit, if we're to stand any chance of moving forward. I'll admit I've had a decline of late - it's money, what does it matter? - and only have five or six hundred to my name at the moment, but I'm completely solvent, and no matter what we have or don't, that's where we all need to be. We don't need to 'try' to be there, we don't need to think 'it'd be nice, yeah' - we need to be there.

What bearing does all that have on DoND? To me, it's simple - this way of living, this utterly unsustainable way of living which we perpetuate now, more than ever, leads most of us to 'the wall' before we're even started. This is what's produced all these desperate players.

If we cared as much as we pretend to, if we focused on the important things and cut out the unimportant, if we applied ourselves properly to life, as much as we do to work, hatred and death, we would not be so starved of capital.

Instead, we contribute to our starvation. We buy into the system. (And most of those who don't contribute are stamped down by it anyway). We place importance on degrees, fees, jobs, latest clothes, televisions, Sky, licence fees, parking tickets, Mr Cameron's willy, Mr Corbyn's defiance, the 'migrant' crisis, and more. We are taught to be unhappy, and that this is the norm, and that this is the accepted state. We are taught to set the bar so high that we will never, ever, ever reach it, and thus we will forever be unfulfilled.

We apply to a game show, hoping for some cash from somewhere, anywhere. If we're seventy-five, we're terrified that our pension won't last us another five years and we'll live for ten, and we'll freeze to death one winter. If we've just left university at 28, a qualified biologist working in a bar, we're terrified that we'll be saddled with a lifelong debt if we can't grab a few thousand here. If we're forty-five, a family man, we've worked for thirty years to save up for the week-long break in Mallorca that we'll hopefully get on this show. We want more money, though, because if we can't get more money, we'll be paying for Mallorca for another thirty years.

If we're twenty, and starting out, looking for our own place to rent, we're actually twenty-seven because most people at twenty have already been starved of every penny they'll ever have.

Our culture - which, by the way, is absolutely nil compared to the decent people of the world - is driving us to the point of no return. Our way of life is relegation form all over, from top to bottom, from start to finish.

We had more people playing for fun in 2005 and 2006 - because more of us were able to do so. Because some of us were still able to do so. Now, to a great many, losing out on a few hundred can lead to oblivion.

But let's face it - that's where our society's headed anyway. With DoND already there, I suppose we'll be in good company.

johnr

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:20 am    Author: johnr    Post subject: Re: When's Deal Back?

Channel 4 seem to have surrended against the rugby by showing Celeb DOND repeats, next week will be really strange as it is a repeat of Jimmy Carr all the way back in 2012 so no offer button or 23!

[ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]