Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 3:27 pm Last visit was: Sun May 05, 2024 3:27 pm

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close on 21 June 2024 (extended deadline). More info here.

Deal or No Deal will return for a new series later in 2024.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

psychokiller

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:47 am    Author: psychokiller    Post subject: Contestants that no sod remembers

Warnings: 0
We all natter on about the memorable characters, the 'cowardly' early dealers, the big winners and the reprehensible losers. But what about those games and players who fall into the 'nothing special' category and get forgotten about as soon as the sun goes down? This is a thread for them, the people who never get name-checked.

I remember some guy... erm... thingy... he swapped I think.

Also this woman too, she... I don't know, think she made a profit.

This chap never gets remembered despite being the first player to... erm, I don't know, something to do with chips.

daniel123

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:54 am    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: Contestants that no sod remembers
Forum Games Moderator

Miguel (20 January 2006). :smt023

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

American Coupon Boy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:09 am    Author: American Coupon Boy    Post subject: Re: Contestants that no sod remembers

I'd definitely say Suzy (the one who played today) falls under that category, hence this comment from me in the commentary:

American Coupon Boy wrote:
Another :smt015 :smt015 :smt015 game.

Will someone win five figures already?

During a good period, today would probably stand out as being the low-tariff game that reminds us that not every game can be a big money one (like Daisy's game from last April), but given the run of poor games lately this will only be remembered (if at all) as an average somewhat cautious Deal that went wrong but not spectacularly so. Also, had Rod not produced such a memorable game in March Suzy may have been remembered as the 3rd American on the show, but since we all remember Rod no one really gives a sod.

Also, similarly named Suzi from 2008 falls under this category as well, as she had an average slow motion train-wreck from that era. I doubt anyone even remembers that she swapped away the 1p, as what she swapped for was a nondescript amount (£250) and someone recently had already swapped away the 1p in a more memorable fashion (Heldy did so for £1,000 after finding the £75,000 in her 20th box and turning down a disgusting £17 final offer).

The next series begins immediately after the premiere of the Deal or No Deal revival.

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:54 am    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject: Re: Contestants that no sod remembers

Interesting to hear that three ex-pat Americans have played the game. Rod Ferrell was probably the most memorable of the three. Who is the third American?

That brings me to another question - have there ever been any ex-pat Canadians on the program before?

Back to the main topic, there was a Wendy who played several years ago. She swapped 50p for £5,000, or something to that effect. It was a good win at the time, but was pretty much swept under the rug afterwards.

I think there was a week's worth of shows ages ago where the highest amount won was £500. Everyone else won far less than that. You might have to check the archives for that, though. They were all forgettable shows, and no one really remembered the contestants involved.

psychokiller

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:50 am    Author: psychokiller    Post subject: Re: Contestants that no sod remembers

One substantial nomination from 2006 is a chap called Peter who played in the November.

When I started looking through the archives in 2012, I recalled every single player from 2006 because the show was absolutely every inch of my life then. I still can remember them and easily most of broadcast dates of their games. But the aforementioned Peter I did not recall *at all*, there was nothing. No wing time, nothing from his game, not one jot of his TV appearance did I remember. It's a fair claim that whatever game he had was the most 'meh' game of that whole year.

American Coupon Boy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:36 pm    Author: American Coupon Boy    Post subject: Re: Contestants that no sod remembers

Dr. Hindsight wrote:
Interesting to hear that three ex-pat Americans have played the game. Rod Ferrell was probably the most memorable of the three. Who is the third American?

Janna from April 2008.

The next series begins immediately after the premiere of the Deal or No Deal revival.

Davao

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:16 pm    Author: Davao    Post subject: Re: Contestants that no sod remembers

I think most people are forgotten from January 2007 because of Laura. Like 50k Stella and 36k Frank for example.

Brick

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:08 pm    Author: Brick    Post subject: Re: Contestants that no sod remembers

American Coupon Boy wrote:
Dr. Hindsight wrote:

Janna from April 2008.

Bob from November 2011 was also from the USA.

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:28 am    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: Contestants that no sod remembers

No one seems to remember Tina from December 2005, who was THE FIRST PLAYER TO NO-DEAL TO THE END AND WIN THE HIGHER AMOUNT FROM THEIR BOX! It wasn't a big money game, her offers only peaked at £6,000, but she still took a reasonable gamble at 2-box by no-dealing £2,000 on a 50p/£5,000 ending and won £5,000, so it wasn't an OPW, but she still got the majority of what was avaliable in her game by no-dealing to the end and opening her box!

I think people forgot her because, along with the fact that it'll be NINE years ago as of Monday week, people may have forgotten it because it happened the day after Sara created the first ever dream finish, or the fact that Tina was only on the wings for about 10 or so shows, and had big characters in her position before and after her (i.e. Trevor the sage and Dave Woollin), and i think people also forget the fact that Tina was the first woman E2 and not Pat M, because of this!

psychokiller

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:09 am    Author: psychokiller    Post subject: Re: Contestants that no sod remembers

JamesJMH91 wrote:
No one seems to remember Tina from December 2005, who was THE FIRST PLAYER TO NO-DEAL TO THE END AND WIN THE HIGHER AMOUNT FROM THEIR BOX! It wasn't a big money game, her offers only peaked at £6,000, but she still took a reasonable gamble at 2-box by no-dealing £2,000 on a 50p/£5,000 ending and won £5,000, so it wasn't an OPW, but she still got the majority of what was avaliable in her game by no-dealing to the end and opening her box!

I think people forgot her because, along with the fact that it'll be NINE years ago as of Monday week, people may have forgotten it because it happened the day after Sara created the first ever dream finish, or the fact that Tina was only on the wings for about 10 or so shows, and had big characters in her position before and after her (i.e. Trevor the sage and Dave Woollin), and i think people also forget the fact that Tina was the first woman E2 and not Pat M, because of this!

Everybody remembers her as she's the contestant that's always brought up whenever we talk about forgotten contestants. Like an inverse Barbara Streisand effect.

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:23 am    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: Contestants that no sod remembers

What about Steph who played in the last week of Season 4 and won £35,000? Her game was great and no one seems to remember it!

Davao

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:26 pm    Author: Davao    Post subject: Re: Contestants that no sod remembers

Kerrie who played after Tegen and won 50k

American Coupon Boy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:10 pm    Author: American Coupon Boy    Post subject: Re: Contestants that no sod remembers

Davao wrote:
Kerrie who played after Tegen and won 50k

I think you're wrong there, Davao. Her game and Tabitha's are both remembered as 2 big money wins that occurred in the aftermath of Tegan's game.

In terms of forgotten Power 5 wins, I hate that pretty much no one remembers £50k Hillary. She was the first player to win a Power 5 amount out of their box after some risky but not totally reckless No Deals (as £35k Matt and £50k Saj were forced to the end by poor offers at 5 box and 2 box)and yet no one can remember it as she played within a few games of Boxgate Massimo, £100k Gaz and £101k £20k Morris.

Davao

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:35 pm    Author: Davao    Post subject: Re: Contestants that no sod remembers

How about 52k Teresa?

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:55 pm    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject: Re: Contestants that no sod remembers

Anyone remember a contestant named Wayne? Not sure when he played or how much he won, but I remember he was a cop or something like that.

Davao

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:01 pm    Author: Davao    Post subject: Re: Contestants that no sod remembers

Dr. Hindsight wrote:
Anyone remember a contestant named Wayne? Not sure when he played or how much he won, but I remember he was a cop or something like that.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17298 This one? He played the day after Alice who won 250k. H2005 was on the wings then.

All of the Wayne's who have played on DOND have never had an OPW.

Last edited by Davao on Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

American Coupon Boy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:08 pm    Author: American Coupon Boy    Post subject: Re: Contestants that no sod remembers

Davao wrote:
How about 52k Teresa?

Yep, as it was covered over by the combination of Jon and Daniel's amazing back-to-back Power 5 wins, £100k Maria and that ridiculous "Battle of the Sexes" gimmick. :smt011

daniel123

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:08 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: Contestants that no sod remembers
Forum Games Moderator

Davao wrote:
How about 52k Teresa?

Who? ;)

:suspect:

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

Davao

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:16 pm    Author: Davao    Post subject: Re: Contestants that no sod remembers

I don't remember Ian who won 71k

American Coupon Boy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:23 pm    Author: American Coupon Boy    Post subject: Re: Contestants that no sod remembers

Davao wrote:
I don't remember Ian who won 71k

That's sort of an oxymoronic statement, Davao. :P :P ;)

[ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]