Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:13 am Last visit was: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:13 am

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Brick

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:27 am    Author: Brick    Post subject: Re: Worst games ever

Warnings: 0
psychokiller wrote:
James1978 wrote:
Then it was everyone else telling him he was an idiot, then RMF1254 getting all bossy saying we all had to shut up and not kick off at The Markbot just to keep the peace.......

Boy, am I ever glad that RMF1254 no longer frequents this forum. I've taken a look at some late 2011/early 2012 game threads and they're full of him either ''keeping the peace'' (by drawing more attention to the inevitable Markbot rants !!) or filling up the pages by pointing out what the commentator should or shouldn't do. All the time. Complete with about 20 or so smilies on every single post.

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) :D :D :D :D :D

^^every time

Funny how RMF1254's sudden departure from the board neatly coincided with MarkBot's temp ban.

Considering how he often started going on about the show "entering a sticky period" when we had something like two banker wins in a row, I doubt he'd be enjoying the show much now.

JamesJMH91 wrote:
Just the people that commented on Ilovedond.co.uk wound me up at times, they often criticized the show and the players, while some criticisms are fine, I just think these people did it like they expected to be congratulated for it :roll:

The one thing that got me about people on that site was how they were utterly resistant to any sort of change to the format. The themed weeks were treated with a ridiculous level of contempt, the banker's gamble was sacrilege, and even something as simple as the player being told what a future offer might be was met with outrage.

Funny thing is, I always got the feeling that without all these blaspemous twists, a lot of these people would be moaning how the show had become repetitive and boring...

PS I actually had to edit this post because it contained too many smilies. So how RMF1254 got away with 23 in every post I don't know.

Brick

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:41 am    Author: Brick    Post subject: Re: Worst games ever

Oh, and in answer to the thread question: one of my least favourite games was Frank from December 2011. He started off by constantly getting the audience to go "oo ar oo ar oo ar", which got annoying after the second time. Then about halfway through the show he suddenly got very upset - I think he tried to explain why but it didn't make a lot of sense. He ended up taking a cautious, but not unjustifiable, deal at 8-box for £13k, unfortunately the proveout didn't go his way and he ended up with a final two of £75k and £100k, which as you can imagine, he didn't take very well at all. :(

A game that started off comically annoying and ended up just being painful to watch. Poor Frank.

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:28 am    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: Worst games ever

The other thing about the Ilovedond people was how they kept treating Alice's banker's gamble like Doomsday. From then on, they kept banging on about how 2009 was the worst year for DoND, JUST BECAUSE of Alice's game, and then they would start comparing pretty much EVERY big gamble made, to Alice's BG. :roll:. I reckon 2009 was a good year for the show, and the only 'sticky periods' in 2009 were Early July and September really

Yeah, her game might have been somewhat contrived, but at least she did take a risk of losing the lot at the end (Unlike a certain game in July 2010, i thought THAT game was definately worthy of such criticism! :roll:)

hogwild94

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:23 am    Author: hogwild94    Post subject: Re: Worst games ever
Global Moderator

Although I do understand what the people on there were getting at with Alice's game, I do think they went a bit OTT at times.

They treated all games where the Banker's Gamble was offered the same, notably Des' game from August '09, where it was offered after he dealt £50,000 and ended up with £20,000 and £100,000 (one said the Banker would've offered it if it had been the Jackpot and £20,000), Lillian's from Halloween '09 (when the Gamble was offered when the Banker knew £75,000 was in the box), Terry from just afterwards (when the Jackpot was in play with 50p), and, perhaps most notably, Cheryl's game (think you can all figure that one out).

Bear in mind that RMF, and our own BankerSpanker used to post on there, we should be very careful what we say about that place from now on.
(No ranting intended)

Check out SLUDGE for original, non-cover rock music!

hogwild94

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:25 am    Author: hogwild94    Post subject: Re: Worst games ever
Global Moderator

JamesJMH91 wrote:
(Unlike a certain game in July 2010, i thought THAT game was definately worthy of such criticism! :roll:)

Ah yes, Dennis' game. Now, I did like Dennis, and I was pleased he won £15,000, but the twist was kind of unfair, and a bit too safe. It, of course, all started after he shocked everyone when he dealt £15,000 at 11-box, then said during the break it was a mistake. We'll never know if he meant that, or felt guilty after Noel's 'third offer deal' spiel. :roll:

Check out SLUDGE for original, non-cover rock music!

James1978

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:41 am    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: Worst games ever

I didn't actually read any of the comments on ilovedond, I only used it or the last 10 mins of games!

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

KP

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:18 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: Worst games ever
International Forums Moderator

Alice's game was just the producers wanting a deus ex machina - and they were never going to let WakeyNoel come out after it like he did post-Laura, because H on the wings would have called them on it and there could have been trouble :P

I generally say that where an in-play offer could viably be the offer dealt and it's not clear what the player would do, the BG should come out. So all those BGs on blue/£35k after teen-thousand Deals were ridiculous (possible exemption granted for Louise's live show, but even then she could have made a rushed out-of-character gamble - she wouldn't have been the last to do so and lose in the live shows!), but Des' was brilliant. If Alice had gone to 5-box and then Dealt, her BG would have been brilliant too (and in fact I think we did see a £50k Deal leading to blue/£250k set up the BG once - Jess, IIRC, though she wasn't really the player to do it on).

I also think that the BG could work at 5-box on a statistical player that the Banker has bought out early - it'd be something genuinely new, whilst still being within established rules, and such a player would definitely understand the situation. I think that if Dan Judge who got the 11-box OPW at £16.5k had left three blues with £100k and either £20k or £35k (i.e. taking the other backup out at the end of round 5 instead of £100k) that would have been absolutely perfect. (They'd have to change the spiel to go "say Deal, you go back into live play".)

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:23 am    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: Worst games ever

This hasn't been updated for an eternity

But i've just remembered Colleen's game from July 1, 2008 (in fact, quiet a few games for that month too). She was having one the strongest boards OF ALL TIME, and yet it had a subdued atmosphere as Colleen was constantly crying and looking depressed throughout the game! :shock:

There wasn't really any banter to lighten the mood, and even worse, when Colleen was in tears, the other players on the wings looked disinterested and weren't doing anything to lighten the mood or even encourage Colleen to cheer her up, they all just stood there like a bunch of robots and did nothing

The last nail in the coffin was when she dealt at £30,000 with the whole power-5 still undiscovered at 8-box, making it the umpteenth 'controversial' deal of 2008 :roll:

Maybe Colleen was just nervous, but it was disappointing to see a strong game dampened by such a needlessly sombre mood in the studio which was brought on by an over-emotional contestant :(

Last edited by JamesJMH91 on Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.

Mark

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:37 am    Author: Mark    Post subject: Re: Worst games ever

Yup, in the next round she hit two blues and the £250,000 and the offer went up to £50,000 (never would have been that in live play). Would have been a spanking if that offer was lower than what she dealt at. Also she had a target as well (£25,000, looking at the game thread). That's why it's never a good thing to have a target, as when you get that or over or very near that then your dealing, even with the board is very strong.

Skyline

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:57 pm    Author: Skyline    Post subject: Re: Worst games ever
Forum Games Moderator

Has anyone got clips of Colleen's game? I'm extremely happy and I need to be knocked down a peg.

...I mean, even H got irritated with the entire ordeal.

daniel123

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:36 am    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: Worst games ever
Forum Games Moderator

I'd stopped participating in the today's show kerfuffle by then, I think, so I can't remember it. A heck of a lot's happened in the 5 and a half years since, anyway - arguably more than anything that happened in my entire 13 years before that, so it's long since disappeared from my mind if it ever existed there in the first place... :smt023

My short-term memory's not that great.

I'd stopped participating in the today's show kerfuffle by then, I think, so I can't remember it. :)

Hold up, Mr 2005 was irritated? :shock:

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

Davao

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:16 pm    Author: Davao    Post subject: Re: Worst games ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnqjwAZ388c?

American Coupon Boy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:59 pm    Author: American Coupon Boy    Post subject: Re: Worst games ever

kall4i59 wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnqjwAZ388c?

Yep, that's # 7 in terms of unluckiest games, behind Mike from March 2013 (joint 5th), Billy from this July (joint 5th), Sue from this July (4th), Becky from April 2012 (3rd), Nikki Tucker from August 2008 (2nd) and Mark de Susa from July 2012 (1st).

That's probably the unluckiest game in which it was feasibly possible to leave with a red, though it would've required resisting the one box at a time gimmick on a low stakes board, which very few would do (as we saw today in Oswald's game).

The next series begins immediately after the premiere of the Deal or No Deal revival.

Davao

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:05 pm    Author: Davao    Post subject: Re: Worst games ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0oBxRMDnZo She deserved it though.
Didn't she?

daniel123

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:38 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: Worst games ever
Forum Games Moderator

Er...I'm not too sure about that, myself...

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

psychokiller

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:23 am    Author: psychokiller    Post subject: Re: Worst games ever

Davao wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0oBxRMDnZo She deserved it though.
Didn't she?

Just found this thread again and I must say, what an amusing comment.

This fella's somewhere on the sun soaked beaches of the Mediterranean so he isn't here to comment, but just what is meant by ''she deserved it''? Perhaps she reminds him of someone who nicked his crisps in school, or maybe she was too good looking in his view? (Not my view, was astounded by the utterly creepy sycophancy and leering going on by members of this crack den when she was on the TV).

Last edited by psychokiller on Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

daniel123

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:33 am    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: Worst games ever
Forum Games Moderator

Yeah, I might elaborate on my earlier comment actually - I was recovering from a hell of a night in some pub in Portsmouth when I wrote it, and wasn't saying much. Now people who don't exist are saying stuff to me, but I don't...well, anyway, I lost my train of thought there, to be honest, but on topic - I can't really justify saying Siobhan deserved that awful luck.

For the most part, I don't think anyone playing the game deserves bad luck, unless they happen to have questionable backgrounds, as we saw with the case of the disgraced priest Neil Horan when he appeared on 'Britain's Got Talent' a few years back. But, you know, I mean anyone who hasn't been convicted of a serious crime, you know what I mean. :P If you're clean, and by all accounts a good, decent person, why should you deserve to have your game run against you?

I suppose that's a question Dave will be able to answer in earnest, when he's back with us. I'm not knocking him at all, of course; I'm just interested to hear his reasoning behind the statement. :smt023

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 4:10 am    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: Worst games ever

I've gone through the list of players from the last few years and i remebered Savy from November 2010

That's another contestant for my worst show ever. I remember it was one of the last games i watched the last 10-15 minutes of on the now-defunct ilovedond website, and i found it very boring to watch. It was pretty much like a copy of Colleen's game with a flat atmosphere, and an emotional and unhappy contestant despite a strong early board. She never really got any offers worth thinking about, so when her game starting to fall apart, it just became a slow, boring collapse to a £250 win. There was a bit of vague excitement near the end where Savy gambled £3,250 to win either £250 or £100,000, but a feel-good ending was denied when she swapped £10,000 for £250 :smt009

Davao

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:37 pm    Author: Davao    Post subject: Re: Worst games ever

daniel123 wrote:
Yeah, I might elaborate on my earlier comment actually - I was recovering from a hell of a night in some pub in Portsmouth when I wrote it, and wasn't saying much. Now people who don't exist are saying stuff to me, but I don't...well, anyway, I lost my train of thought there, to be honest, but on topic - I can't really justify saying Siobhan deserved that awful luck.

For the most part, I don't think anyone playing the game deserves bad luck, unless they happen to have questionable backgrounds, as we saw with the case of the disgraced priest Neil Horan when he appeared on 'Britain's Got Talent' a few years back. But, you know, I mean anyone who hasn't been convicted of a serious crime, you know what I mean. :P If you're clean, and by all accounts a good, decent person, why should you deserve to have your game run against you?

I suppose that's a question Dave will be able to answer in earnest, when he's back with us. I'm not knocking him at all, of course; I'm just interested to hear his reasoning behind the statement. :smt023

3 years on. I don't know why I did it. I was an *beep* to people at the time and I shouldn't have been. I do regret it now, because honestly, I was a hypocrite and now 3 years later is I've learnt don't base decisions on hindsight which exactly what I did. I shouldn't have said that because she didn't deserve it in fact no one does, it just the way it goes at times. I do give my apologies to Siobhan if she ever sees it because what I said was completely unacceptable.

daniel123

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:32 am    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: Worst games ever
Forum Games Moderator

Wasn't expecting that! Truth be told, my head wasn't right at the time I wrote that comment and reading it back I do sound a bit shifty for no real reason...which is probably my own lesson learned (read:one of many) in those 3 years, not to be an arse to people who aren't being like that to me when it's totally unnecessary! :ponder: :P

Meh, live and learn, I'm sure Siobhan won't mind if she ever has occasion to read through any of this. sdgthju

[ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]