Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:25 pm Last visit was: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:25 pm

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

psychokiller

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:12 pm    Author: psychokiller    Post subject: 'Weird' feelings of DOND

Warnings: 0
You'll get the gist, and most of these will apply to the first two series:

- The 'atmosphere' of a show pertained to what the light/weather was like on the day it was broadcast. If it was sunny outside, then this was 'reflected' in the studio and it felt brighter and hotter. If it was dark or a cloudy, wet day, then... well, likewise. Might sound a bit obvious but when I watch YouTube uploads it still kinda rings true, I notice the 'overcast' shows and the 'sunny' shows.

- If a contestant had gone 22+ shows without having the £250,000 in their box, then they would never have it.

- The £250,000 was eliminated in the first two rounds in 95% of episodes. If it didn't, it stayed until late and had an influential impact. Very rare was there middle ground.

- Pre-determined box selections always resulted in blue wins.

- If somebody won peanuts, the LTL blue box prize was always the largest available.

- DOND only really felt like 'DOND' when the labels in the boxes became colour coded. It coincided with the prime time Saturday trials and a string of iconic games that propelle dthe show (and this forum) into the dizzying heights.

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:28 am    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: 'Weird' feelings of DOND

One thing that really stuck out to me was the fact that the general populous of contestants seemed to become more cautious then ever once the show expanded to an hour-long time slot at the end of 2010/start of 2011. In the 45-minute show days, we all thought hell would freeze over before games like £8k Sherilyn, £700 Rosie, £950 Dave or £10k Iris would ever happen, and i don't know if the sharp increase in excessively cautious players was linked to the show becoming an hour long in some way, but it wouldn't be far-fetched considering a lot of contestants from around that time applied to be on the show during the height of the late-2000s recession, when some of them were faced with the prospect of imminent destitution.

daniel123

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:05 am    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: 'Weird' feelings of DOND
Forum Games Moderator

Now, I never knew other people experienced the weather thing - but it's so spot-on. Geordie's game, for example, was broadcast on a grey and rainy day at the beginning of February (fifteen years ago...and here we are talking about it!) and the fact that it was a nightmare from start to finish reflected that, even though I've always loved grey, rainy days - it just had that feel about it. Alan from a few weeks beforehand was the same.
I thought the LTL thing was meant to have been rigged anyway? I know they did away with it for quite a while, after accusations to that effect, and it did always seem a bit odd that when the player bombed, the lucky winning viewer took home the lot, and voila, there was a happy ending after all. It was a situation that wouldn't have looked out of place across the pond, if that really was what was happening.

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

psychokiller

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:10 am    Author: psychokiller    Post subject: Re: 'Weird' feelings of DOND

daniel123 wrote:
I thought the LTL thing was meant to have been rigged anyway? I know they did away with it for quite a while, after accusations to that effect, and it did always seem a bit odd that when the player bombed, the lucky winning viewer took home the lot, and voila, there was a happy ending after all. It was a situation that wouldn't have looked out of place across the pond, if that really was what was happening.

Surely it wasn't? I think the only issue was the show's pre-recorded status, so you were ringing up to win an amount that had already been 'set', but what difference did this make? Why air the show at all in that matter? The contestant's game had already been determined weeks/months prior, so why bother watching it unfold!

The weather correspondence is probably the strangest and best example of the vague 'weird feelings' concept. The studio never changed its lighting or appearance in the post-Show 100 era in 2006, every game was recorded under the same conditions (barring theme days, yes they used to only be *days*!) so why is this feeling so prevalent?

Ahh, just thought of something related, less a 'feeling' and more a, well, fact. Why has it never been possible to watch Jim R's show ever again? Even Challenge TV didn't touch it.

James1978

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:26 am    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 'Weird' feelings of DOND

Jim R's game never being repeated seems very strange considering Amanda's never-aired game DID get shown on Challenge!! II do remember them initially skipping the hour-long ones but I'm guessing they showed others like the double-deal week late shows at another time?).

Also been recently reading through all the 2013 games (now on to early 2014 where everyone hated Box 23) - the early part of the year was great then it did indeed go caution-mad from June. However one fascination of the summer was - whatever happened to Ryan who disappeared from the wings without trace, and also Danny whose game never aired? Some say the two were linked but Ryan disappeared 2 weeks before Danny appeared on the wings - I don't know how long newbies were with the group before joining the wings but surely that was too far apart from them to have met?

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:21 pm    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: 'Weird' feelings of DOND

What a coincidence that position E4 (which also produced 2 quarter-millionaires!!) has been linked to two disappearances of contestants - CJ and Ryan - who left the show and never returned to play their games, with both of these players *allegedly* being shown the door due to some kind of misconduct off-camera whilst on the show, AND both of whom doing a run of 8 shows before their premature departure!! :shock:

It seemed like position E3 was also linked to a lot of disappearances, with two people from E3 disappearing and being replaced (Yvonne, who was apparently out on her ear for "fraudulent enlistment" when applying for the show (!!), and £1 Raj, who was off sick for a few shows and replaced by bearded James for one of these shows), and a couple of others returning in E3 after a lengthy hiatus, having been in a different position beforehand (Joseph and Lauren from September 2011)!

As for the weather thing, I remember reading through the commentary of a game from season 1 (I think it was £300 Jason) which was just endless bad luck, and seeing one or two comments about the weather being very wet and dreary that day. Having mentioned Geordie, this is ANOTHER coincidence, given Jason's game peaked at an offer of £5,000 at 8-box and was basically bad luck from start to finish, resulting in a low win. And to cap it all - Jason was the OTHER game from season 1 where someone dealt for a "blue" amount!! :shock: :shock:

hogwild94

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:00 pm    Author: hogwild94    Post subject: Re: 'Weird' feelings of DOND
Global Moderator

James1978 wrote:
Also been recently reading through all the 2013 games (now on to early 2014 where everyone hated Box 23) - the early part of the year was great then it did indeed go caution-mad from June. However one fascination of the summer was - whatever happened to Ryan who disappeared from the wings without trace, and also Danny whose game never aired? Some say the two were linked but Ryan disappeared 2 weeks before Danny appeared on the wings - I don't know how long newbies were with the group before joining the wings but surely that was too far apart from them to have met?

Ah yes, Ryan. No-one knows why he was taken off the show after just over a week, but from just before he first appeared on the show to the day of Paddy's game (Paddy replaced him on the wings), he was basically churning out spoilers on his Twitter page all the time. I don't think it was due to disagreements with the other contestants; from what I gathered at the time, he and Marlene were still friends.

As for Danny's game, that wasn't shown for 'legal reasons unrelated to the show'. It was basically the infamous 'missing' episode of Fifteen-to-One all over again. (I remember someone at the time speculating that Danny had been leaking game results to Ryan so he could spoil them on Twitter!)

Also, if you're starting on 2014, you'll be about to get to the point where I stopped commentating and just started saying the same thing on every thread, which was partly because I wanted to at least maintain a presence even though I'd pretty much lost interest in the show by then, and also partly due to accute OCD which I'm only just starting to recover from. I can only apologise for that and hope it doesn't spoil your enjoyment too much. :smt023

Check out SLUDGE for original, non-cover rock music!

psychokiller

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:22 am    Author: psychokiller    Post subject: Re: 'Weird' feelings of DOND

JamesJMH91 wrote:
As for the weather thing, I remember reading through the commentary of a game from season 1 (I think it was £300 Jason) which was just endless bad luck, and seeing one or two comments about the weather being very wet and dreary that day. Having mentioned Geordie, this is ANOTHER coincidence, given Jason's game peaked at an offer of £5,000 at 8-box and was basically bad luck from start to finish, resulting in a low win. And to cap it all - Jason was the OTHER game from season 1 where someone dealt for a "blue" amount!! :shock: :shock:

Yes!! One of the first games that springs to mind. I can still see in my mind's eye the gloom enveloping the room from the turgid weather outside, all the while as Jason's lip quivered with the dying of his ambitions and promises to the kids.

I've been responsible for 'airing' a lot of previously obscure 2006 episodes to YouTube, but Jason's is missing despite me prepping it for a digi transfer at the same time I'd copied all the others. I genuinely believe I didn't bother keeping it because of how properly gloomy it was, unlike most other trainwrecks. I distinctly remember feeling an actual low mood arising from watching his despondency as the game just crumbled the entire way through. Came in thinking ''£5,000 would be a dream and you only need average luck to win £15-£20,000'' and being presented with *that* happening. Noel's lament at the end, quoting from memory but quoting it accurately, summed the pervading atmosphere up - ''Frankly, Jason, you didn't stand a chance today, that was suffocating bad luck.''

... and conversely, probably the most similar game of that S1 run was Scottish John who took out almost every red before 11 box and while he wasn't as despairing as Jason, he clearly was pissed. But it was broadcast on the hottest day of the year (I can remember we went out to eat because the kitchen temperature was almost uninhabitable) and therefore the game is 'bright and sunny' despite the hopelessness. Strange innit

James1978

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:51 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 'Weird' feelings of DOND

I'm currently up to early February 2014 on my game recaps and even then just over a month in, it was obvious that for Box 23 to be used as something more than (with the odd exception) something to keep viewers interested to see if the player could get the extra 10 grand from a blue win - quite simply the NOTHING option had to be replaced with something less severe. What that would have been I don't know (it still needed to be something bad to equal the good outcomes but something less severe than losing the lot). But I know there's a biggie soon to come but apart from the guy who played for Box 23's inaugural game and one other (Lily I think who won £40k) - the early part of the year was no different to 2013 - caution or bad luck (and only Tash was rescued by the +10k).

Also John who psycho mentions was one of the games I watched again during the winter lockdown - that was SO close to being another Derek Brown/Nikki Tucker/Mark D'Souza/£750 OPW Becky and would have been if the £75k hadn't stuck around long enough to taunt him into thinking a turnaround was on. (For that reason I'd totally forgotten just how much he decimated the board in the first couple of rounds!). I remember that day I was putting bottles of water in my freezer it was that hot!

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

daniel123

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:14 am    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: 'Weird' feelings of DOND
Forum Games Moderator

psychokiller wrote:
daniel123 wrote:

Surely it wasn't? I think the only issue was the show's pre-recorded status, so you were ringing up to win an amount that had already been 'set', but what difference did this make? Why air the show at all in that matter? The contestant's game had already been determined weeks/months prior, so why bother watching it unfold!

The weather correspondence is probably the strangest and best example of the vague 'weird feelings' concept. The studio never changed its lighting or appearance in the post-Show 100 era in 2006, every game was recorded under the same conditions (barring theme days, yes they used to only be *days*!) so why is this feeling so prevalent?

Ahh, just thought of something related, less a 'feeling' and more a, well, fact. Why has it never been possible to watch Jim R's show ever again? Even Challenge TV didn't touch it.

Yes, you're right, it doesn't make any sense at all if that's all it was - and bearing in mind all I had to go on were my recollections of some threads on here where we gossiped about it, that scenario is far more likely than the one I first envisaged. It was all very odd.

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

James1978

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:27 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 'Weird' feelings of DOND

Here's a good one - I've reached the end of 2014 with my game catchups now, and say the last player of the year was called Massimo and there was a player called Tom on the wings for it - I was reading the commentary thinking "God I hope Tom accidentally knocked his box on the floor"!! :-D

thundercat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:49 pm    Author: thundercat    Post subject: Re: 'Weird' feelings of DOND

James1978 wrote:
Here's a good one - I've reached the end of 2014 with my game catchups now, and say the last player of the year was called Massimo and there was a player called Tom on the wings for it - I was reading the commentary thinking "God I hope Tom accidentally knocked his box on the floor"!! :-D

Hi James, good to see you on here after the years gone by. I too am doing a rewatch and it's amazing watching through again (on some episodes for the first time in 16 years) and how much different it feels to watch it now.

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:50 pm    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: 'Weird' feelings of DOND

Another one I think has been mentioned quite often but it seemed like nearly every mega money winner (apart from Lance and Bunney) were always nondescript contestants who would've been forgotten about very quickly if it weren't for their games

James1978

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:37 am    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 'Weird' feelings of DOND

thundercat wrote:
James1978 wrote:

Hi James, good to see you on here after the years gone by. I too am doing a rewatch and it's amazing watching through again (on some episodes for the first time in 16 years) and how much different it feels to watch it now.

Yeah you too, I'm guessing you're about 30 now?

Even in 2006 when I was er 28 I felt like an old git lol

James1978

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:41 am    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 'Weird' feelings of DOND

JamesJMH91 wrote:
Another one I think has been mentioned quite often but it seemed like nearly every mega money winner (apart from Lance and Bunney) were always nondescript contestants who would've been forgotten about very quickly if it weren't for their games

Oh I don't know, there was Rodney, Break-a-leg Jeff, Doreen when H was there and no doubt others who I can't immediately recall. Though I'm guessing the point is more nobody would remember Laura or Alice or £100k Gaz if they'd say won a blue or an average amount like £10,000.

thundercat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:29 pm    Author: thundercat    Post subject: Re: 'Weird' feelings of DOND

James1978 wrote:
thundercat wrote:
James1978 wrote:

Yeah you too, I'm guessing you're about 30 now?

Even in 2006 when I was er 28 I felt like an old git lol

Yeah 30 this year. Its quite surreal looking back at some of my old posts now and some are cringeworthy at best! :D

psychokiller

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:17 pm    Author: psychokiller    Post subject: Re: 'Weird' feelings of DOND

JamesJMH91 wrote:

This is a good one. £100k Gaz might have become one of the most forgotten 2006ers if he'd fizzled to a £5k-ish win. He had only done a handful of shows on the wings and was surrounded by 'iconic' players/episodes.

Almost the case with 'Swappy Barbara'. The infamous and eponymous swap is the only thing known about her participation in the show, yet she was so so close to winning £100,000 in an era when this was huge, huge news.

Here's a 'feeling/conspiracy' that I'm pulling out of thin air - '50 shows' Lucy never stayed in the hotel with everyone else, but merely went home between recording days. It explains why she could commit so much time to the contrivance, and why she tended to be just subtly aloof and distanced from everyone else.

thundercat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:44 pm    Author: thundercat    Post subject: Re: 'Weird' feelings of DOND

psychokiller wrote:
Here's a 'feeling/conspiracy' that I'm pulling out of thin air - '50 shows' Lucy never stayed in the hotel with everyone else, but merely went home between recording days. It explains why she could commit so much time to the contrivance, and why she tended to be just subtly aloof and distanced from everyone else.

I had wondered this about Lucy in the past, even if she returned home just in the later shows. I don't have the episode to hand but was it confirmed where she was from at the beginning of her show? 50 shows is a long time to be away from home.

psychokiller

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:46 pm    Author: psychokiller    Post subject: Re: 'Weird' feelings of DOND

thundercat wrote:
psychokiller wrote:

I had wondered this about Lucy in the past, even if she returned home just in the later shows. I don't have the episode to hand but was it confirmed where she was from at the beginning of her show? 50 shows is a long time to be away from home.

She was from Bristol itself!

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:48 pm    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: 'Weird' feelings of DOND

A player I randomly thought about recently was Monica who played around the end of Season 1. She's definitely one of the more obscure season 1 players (the forum didn't seem to care much for Monica at all. Daniel4389 seemed particularly scathing of her :shock: ), but she got some ridiculously generous offers and still turned them down!!

Monica crashed in the fifth round but ultimately dealt for a practically on-the-mean offer at 5-box with the £35k as the highest prize. Now if Monica had gone on to win a life-changing sum of money, she most likely would've gotten the same reception as Buddy a few days later where despite her winning a huge sum of money, her game would've been largely forgotten about due to a lack of endearment towards the player :?

I consider Bearded James, Chrissie, Yvonne, Ryan, Alan, Nick M, Monica, Lynda B and Naqiyah to be the "forgotten" players from late season 1.

[ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]