Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:02 am Last visit was: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:02 am

Deal or No Deal forum index » General Forums » Sports DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Money_Monster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:47 pm    Author: Money_Monster    Post subject:

Warnings: 0
In which year was goodyear's last race? And what race was it?

justcause110

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:45 am    Author: justcause110    Post subject:

The Japanese GP 1998?

Super Aguri

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:11 pm    Author: Super Aguri    Post subject:

We will wait for Money-Monster to mark till we play on! ;)

OK you wanting news! You got news

F1

Quote:
The BMW team have reiterated their intention to use German Sebastian Vettel on Fridays ahead of Grand Prix weekends next season, despite a change in regulations.

Third cars have been outlawed from next year, meaning any third driver will have to take to the track in one of the two racing drivers' cars.

As reported last month, BMW are planning to run Vettel on Fridays despite the new regulations, an idea reiterated this week.

"We will take the opportunity to have the third driver in the car on Fridays," said BMW Motorsport Director Mario Theissen.

"It is the clear intention not to have Sebastian here merely as a reserve driver but to give him the opportunity to work through a race weekend.

"From a team perspective it is more important to have the three drivers in the game and that means the third drivers should not just be at test venues but at race weekends.

"If anything happens to the GP drivers Sebastian has to step in immediately and has to perform."

Vettel was BMW's third driver in the final races of the season. The German teenager impressed with his performances and earned a permanent drive with the team.

Quote:
German Timo Glock will finally get to drive BMW Sauber's Formula One car later this month at the Barcelona circuit.

The GP2 front-runner was originally scheduled to test at the end of the season in Jerez, but a hand injury forced him to postpone it.

The test has now been confirmed, and Glock will get behind the wheel of a Formula One car again on 30th November. He will be in action again at Jerez in December.

"This test drive was planned long ago but had to be postponed due to the hand injury that Timo sustained in the GP2 race in Monza," said BMW motorsport boss Mario Theissen.

"We have kept a close eye on Timo Glock since his successful time in Formula BMW and are now keen to get a more accurate impression.

"Thanks to his successful performance in various race series, Timo was an obvious choice for the test drives."

Quote:
Toyota's Jarno Trulli says he is itching to get back on the podium next season following a dismal year for the Japanese squad.

The Cologne-based squad started the season with the target of scoring their first Grand Prix win, but instead struggled to fight for points finishes.

The team scored just one podium during the season and went on to finish in sixth place in the standings with 35 points, 53 less than in the previous year.

Trulli, who did not score a point until the ninth round of the championship in Canada, reckons Toyota will have to raise their game next year.

"Ferrari last year had a disastrous season as well, compared to the previous one. We've suffered the move from Michelin tyres to Bridgestone," Trulli told Gazzetta dello Sport.

"On top of that we've had reliability problems, but the engine at the end of the season was more competitive and reliable. If I didn't have a problem, in the last race in Brazil I would have finished second.

"I believe in Toyota's potential, but we'll have to step up the pace.

"I hope the birth of my son Marco turns out to be the sign of a change of luck for me. I itch to get back on the podium."

The Italian driver believes Ferrari, runners-up to Renault this year, are favourites for next year's titles, despite Michael Schumacher's retirement.

"Ferrari, judging by the impressive way they finished," said Trulli when asked who will be favourite next year.

"Whoever drives for them will have a great advantage. I don't think the departure of Schumacher and (Ross) Brawn will change things much. Ferrari got the best of Schumacher, but I don't know why he retired nor why Raikkonen was chosen.

"There are many questions but little answers. But with today's Ferrari Massa wins too."

Quote:
Jarno Trulli says he has no regrets about his decision to leave the Renault team despite having struggled with Toyota.

Trulli parted company with the French squad after his relationship with team boss Flavio Briatore went sour during the 2004 season.

That year, Trulli scored his first and so far only Grand Prix win, before leaving the team ahead of the end of the season.

But despite having scored just three podiums since then, the Toyota driver reckons he made the right decision.

"I've never regretted parting ways," the Italian told Gazzetta dello Sport. "Renault wasn't the place for me. My victory in Monte Carlo in 2004, instead of strengthening the relationship, marked the fracture.

"Never mind what the reasons were..."

Trulli signed a new three-year contract with Toyota this season.

Quote:
Timo Glock is looking to seize his opportunity to test with the BMW Sauber team, although the German reckons it is too early to predict what will come out of it.

The German will test with BMW in Spain later this month and again in December.

Glock, 24, raced four times for the Jordan team in 2004 and scored points on his Formula One debut with seventh place at the Canadian Grand Prix.

He has since competed in the U.S. CART championship and in GP2, the Formula One feeder series.

"It's great to get that chance with BMW, and it's at the end of the month so we will see what happens with that," Glock told the official GP2 website.

"We'll see what comes after that, but it's great to do this test because for sure I wasn't thinking about doing a Formula One test at the start of this year: it's worked out really well, and it's another indication that GP2 is the right place to be if you want to have a chance to move up to Formula One."

BMW have already confirmed their 2007 line-up, with Germany's Nick Heidfeld and Poland's Robert Kubica as race drivers and German teenager Sebastian Vettel as the official tester.

Despite the opportunity he will get, Glock is not getting carried away.

"Really, we have to see, but first of all I'm concentrating on trying to do a good job with Trident and then later to do a good job in my test with BMW, and anything else we will see what comes around in the next few weeks," added Glock.

"But it's great to have a few opportunities and that people are interested after this season: that is really good."

Champ Car
Quote:
Paul Tracy has confirmed that he will not race in this weekend's Champ Car season finale due to a shoulder injury.

His Forsythe team were scheduled to run three cars for the race in Mexico, but debutant David Martinez will now drive Tracy's car instead of an extra one.

"I'm disappointed for the team," said Tracy. "It's been a long and unsuccessful season and we wanted to end it on a high note.

"But the focus is for next year. The best thing is to relax and let my shoulder heal, and come back next year super strong and challenging for the championship."

Forsythe have decided against recruiting a third new driver for the race this weekend because they already have two rookies making their Champ Car debuts in Mexico.

Neil Micklewright, Vice President of team operations, said: "We decided to withdraw the car because we want to give Buddy (Rice) and David our undivided support and attention in their first race."

IRL
Quote:
Kosuke Matsuura will move to former IndyCar Series champions Panther Racing for next season.

The Japanese driver will join Vitor Meira at the team, as they will run two cars rather than just the single entry they had this year.

Matsuura moves from Fernandez Racing where he has spent three years, and secured Rookie of the year honours in 2004.

"I am very happy to race in my fourth season in the IndyCar Series and realise that it is a big responsibility," Matsuura said.

"Panther Racing has won the championship in 2001 and 2002, so I am thrilled to be able to join this champion team and I will aim to win."

Panther won their back-to-back titles with Sam Hornish Jr. However, they have only won a single race since he left the team at the end of 2003.

Matsuura is backed by former Grand Prix driver Aguri Suzuki, who now runs his own team in Formula One.

"Although this will be the fourth season for Kosuke he has so much to learn from Panther Racing," Suzuki said.

"I believe he will show positive and dramatic change next season with this team which has won two championships in the past."

Matsuura's side of the team will be called Super Aguri Panther Racing.

NASCAR

Quote:
Jimmie Johnson has vowed to continue going all-out for victories despite taking the lead of the championship with just two rounds to go.

The Hendrick Motorsports driver has clawed back a deficit of more than 150 points over the past four races, but he says he isn't going to be conservative now he's on top of the standings.

"How is our strategy going to change now we are leading? Not one bit," he said. "We are going to keep doing the things that got us here."

"We will go to Phoenix and Homestead and not worry about anything except going fast and having fun."

Tony Stewart has secured three victories since the Chase started, but even the reigning champion has admitted that he wouldn't be going all-out for wins if he had made the top 10 this year.

Johnson has made the Chase for the Championship every time since it was introduced in 2004, and narrowly missed out on the title in the first year of the new format.

"The thing I have learned about being in the Chase is that you have to keep doing what you have been doing all year," he said.

"I'm pretty proud of my team right now. We were 156 points out of first just four races ago and now we are up by 17 points. We never gave up."

Tom22

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:54 pm    Author: Tom22    Post subject:

A classic quote from Top Gear Magazine-

Top Gear December 2006 wrote:
From the Villans section;

James Brundle -
Reedy - voiced F1 commentary stain, not fit to lick Murray Walkers carpet slippers.
Smorgasboard of race-ruining irritation includes pathetic yelps of 'Goooo!' at green
light, relentless spouting of irrelevant facts and charmless incorrect identification
of cars add nauseum.
Brundle must have the patience of a saint!

Super Aguri

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:57 pm    Author: Super Aguri    Post subject:

It time for the 6(ish) news

Our main news and only news at this time

GP2

Quote:
Jose Maria Lopez was fastest at the end the second day of testing in Jerez in difficult conditions.

The Argentine driver was quickest for BCN ahead of Lucas di Grassi for ART, but the experienced pair were followed by Racing Engineering rookie Luiz Razia in third.

The session was extended by 15 minutes at the end of the day, to allow teams some running as the track dried after torrential rain had affected most of the day.

Bruno Senna had excelled in torrential conditions during the morning session to be quickest at the lunch break. The Brazilian was fourth fastest in the afternoon, rejoining iSport after driving for ART yesterday.

His former British F3 rivals Christian Bakkerud enjoyed a more productive test than he had at Paul Ricard last week, when he missed out on track time due to illness.

The Dane was fifth fastest for Super Nova, while World Series by Renault front-runner Andy Soucek ensured that both ART cars performed well and completed the top six.

Afternoon times:

Pos Driver Team Time Laps
1. Jose Maria Lopez BCN Competicion 1.32.894 40
2. Lucas Di Grassi ART Grand Prix 1.32.948 33
3. Luiz Razia Racing Engineering 1.33.231 33
4. Bruno Senna iSport International 1.33.431 30
5. Christian Bakkerud Super Nova International 1.33.872 32
6. Andy Soucek ART Grand Prix 1.33.989 28
7. Timo Glock Trident Racing 1.34.092 37
8. Javier Villa Racing Engineering 1.34.616 32
9. Adrian Zaugg Arden International 1.35.349 32
10. Vitaly Petrov BCN Competicion 1.35.500 32
11. Luca Filippi Arden International 1.35.695 35
12. Antonio Pizzonia Petrol Ofisi Fms 1.35.804 11
13. Mike Conway iSport International 1.35.841 16
14. Nicolas Lapierre Dams 1.36.033 13
15. Alexandre Negrao Piquet Sport 1.36.553 31
16. Kohei Hirate Trident Racing 1.37.034 30
17. Stephen Jelley DPR 1.38.110 27
18. Ricardo Risatti Campos Racing 1.38.210 32
19. Gavin Cronje DPR 1.38.461 15
20. Bruce Jouanny Super Nova International 1.40.244 25
21. Kazuki Nakajima Dams 1.42.884 32
22. Roldan Rodriguez Piquet Sport 1.42.887 31
23. Hiroki Yoshimoto Durango 1.44.592 28
24. Jason Tahinci FMS International 1.44.768 24
25. Giorgio Pantano Campos Racing 1.44.863 11
26. Alberto Valerio Durango 1.45.409 16
27. Dani Clos FMS International 1.46.489 8

Morning times:

Pos Driver Team Time Laps
1. Bruno Senna iSport International 1:45.050 19
2. Giorgio Pantano Campos Racing 1:45.449 13
3. Antonio Pizzonia FMS International 1:45.743 13
4. Andy Soucek ART Grand Prix 1:45.826 21
5. Lucas Di Grassi ART Grand Prix 1:45.952 23
6. Mike Conway iSport International 1:46.408 10
7. Kazuki Nakajima Dams 1:46.521 21
8. Gavin Cronje DPR 1:46.696 11
9. Nicolas Lapierre Dams 1:46.755 25
10. Stephen Jelley DPR 1:46.938 20
11. Hiroki Yoshimoto Durango 1:47.020 18
12. Timo Glock Trident Racing 1:47.053 22
13. Alexandre Negrao Piquet Sports 1:47.108 25
14. Vitaly Petrov BCN Competicion 1:47.201 16
15. Luiz Razia Racing Engineering 1:47.606 21
16. Kohei Hirate Trident Racing 1:47.693 16
17. Javier Villa Racing Engineering 1:47.809 22
18. Christian Bakkerud Super Nova International 1:47.934 21
19. Alberto Valerio Durango 1:48.430 17
20. Jason Tahinci FMS International 1:48.586 17
21. Ricardo Risatti Campos Racing 1:48.750 21
22. Bruce Jouanny Super Nova International 1:48.863 20
23. Jose Maria Lopez BCN Competicion 1:50.419 9
24. Roldan Rodriguez Piquet Sports 1:50.535 18
25. Adrian Zaugg Arden International 1:52.594 9
26. Luca Filippi Arden International 1:53.714 9

justcause110

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:29 pm    Author: justcause110    Post subject:

I've got to make somehow a little news tune like the BBC news or something.

Super Aguri

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:41 pm    Author: Super Aguri    Post subject:

*Play the tune* :-D

It is the 1945(ish) news!

Oh well no news to tell :oops:

See y'all later :-D

Super Aguri

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:10 pm    Author: Super Aguri    Post subject:

Fridays News!

A1GP

Quote:
This weekend's A1GP street race in Beijing faces a crisis after drivers found its hairpin almost impossible to negotiate in today's brief attempt at a free practice session.

Practice was initially delayed by over four hours as last-minute circuit inspections were completed.

But fears that the hairpin would be far too tight for the A1GP cars proved to be entirely founded when the very first driver, Team Germany's Nico Hulkenberg, ran out of road on the exit despite a crawling approach.

Chaos followed, with the following drivers literally queuing at a standstill with little hope of getting around. Others shot up the escape road, stopped and resorted to turning their cars around with a large dose of throttle.

The session was quickly red-flagged when it proved impossible to move the Team Lebanon car, and two subsequent attempts at a re-start resulted in a similar story. The day's running has now been abandoned.

Team Malaysia driver Fairuz Fauzy said: "I was able to get around it once in normal fashion, but it's not safe to run with that hairpin. It's clear that you can't trust all the drivers to get around there for a full race distance. It needs to be widened and probably covered by permanent yellows."

Team Ireland's John O'Hara added: "It's a disaster really. We knew it might be difficult for two cars side by side, but didn't think it would be so bad for a single car. I never got to try and take the corner properly - the track was blocked every time."

Widening the circuit may not be beyond the realms of possibility, but seems unlikely as it would require extensive digging and resurfacing. Another option could be to eliminate the whole loop containing the hairpin, but this would make for a very short circuit.

FIA circuit inspector Charlie Whiting and A1GP organisers are set for a late night of decision-making.

IRL

Quote:
IndyCar Series veteran Scott Sharp will move to Rahal Letterman Racing for the 2007 season.

The American has been competing in the series since it began in 1996, and has the most all-time starts of any driver with 129.

"This team has been at the front of the open-wheel scene ever since its inception and is a proven race winner," said Sharp. "I can't wait to work with the team, I'm sure we will make a formidable combination.

Sharp will join the relatively inexperienced Jeff Simmons at the team, while Danica Patrick and Buddy Rice have left.

Team boss Bobby Rahal said: "Scott has proven over the years to be one of the most consistent drivers in the IndyCar Series and he is a proven race winner.

"The addition of Scott to the team gives us an experienced driver to pair with Jeff Simmons."

Sharp joins the team from Fernandez Racing, who could be forced to shut down their IndyCar operation having lost Kosuke Matsuura for next year as well.

WSR

Quote:
Renault Development Driver Ben Hanley is waiting on a decision from the French manufacturer to find out what he will be doing next year.

The Brit was placed into the World Series by Renault for 2006 after just one season of car racing in Italian Formula Renault, and he finished eighth in the standings.

Hanley had stayed with Cram Competition, the team he raced for in Italy, and his best result of the season came at Misano, where he took a second place.

But after setting the pace in testing this week at Paul Ricard with 2006 champions Comtec Racing, Hanley now has to wait for a decision on his future.

"It's up to the RDD managers to decide which direction I take next," he said, "but I have the impression that the 2007 World Series will be very competitive."

Hanley was also pleased with how well things had gone with the top team from this season.

"I am very pleased about our result, everything went well right from the word go," he said.

"The feel of the car was excellent on new tyres, and I wanted to show that I could push to the limits of it."

Champ Car

Quote:
Justin Wilson will take part in Friday's practice and qualifying sessions at the Mexico City track after coming through a short test run on Thursday.

The RuSPORT driver sustained a broken bone in his right wrist at Surfers Paradise three weeks ago, and he travelled the Mexico unsure that he would be able to compete.

"I tried out my car on Thursday morning and everything seemed to go quite well with my wrist," he said. "We tested a couple of different wrist braces and were even able to complete a lap without a brace."

GP2 race winner Adam Carroll is in Mexico ready to replace Wilson if he can't drive, but at the moment the Brit is optimistic about his chances of racing.

"We now have some ideas for Friday and I'm ready to give it another go," said Wilson.

Champ Car's Medical Director Dr Chris Pinderski said: "At this point I am confident that Justin's wrist is well enough to participate this weekend.

"He will, however, be examined after every test and practice session to determine the health of his wrist."

Wilson won the season finale in Mexico last year for RuSPORT. He is third in the standings heading into this weekend, 16 points behind AJ Allmendinger, who is not racing.

WTCC
Quote:
Reigning World Touring Car champion Andy Priaulx says he is ready for a second consecutive title showdown at Macau next weekend.

The Brit won the title around the street track last year, and he says that he is approaching the weekend in the same way as before.

"I feel extremely well-prepared," he said. "I won't change anything in my preparation compared to last year, it worked out fine then."

Priaulx believes that the unique challenges of the Macau circuit suit him well, as he enters the event two points behind championship leader Augusto Farfus.

"This challenge brings out the best in me," he said. "I like driving close to the barriers, and the fast corners ask a lot of the drivers."

Priaulx believes that success ballast will play a vital role in the title showdown, where nine drivers can still win the championship.

"Weight won't be of any help in the title fight, that's for sure," he said. "The lighter you are, the better you will be.

"The situation could be worse for me - I'm quite nicely placed with 45 kilograms. That's the lightest I've run since the second meeting of the year."

GP2

Quote:
Williams test driver Kazuki Nakajima will race for DAMS in next year's GP2 Series.

The Japanese driver will partner Nicolas Lapierre at the team, and the 2007 season will be only his second year of racing in Europe after competing in the F3 Euro Series in 2006.

"I'm sure my second year of racing in Europe will be easier than my first one," he said. "I am very pleased to be driving for DAMS, they have a lot of experience.

"The transition from an F3 car to GP2 will not be easy, but thanks to the support of the team I am confident I will learn quickly."

Nakajima finished seventh in the F3 Euro Series this year, and has been placed at DAMS by Toyota. The Japanese manufacturer put Franck Perera in the team this year.

DAMS boss Jean-Paul Driot said: "I am very proud of Toyota's confidence with our team for the second year of our collaboration.

"Kazuki seems to hold all the qualities of a great racing driver; intelligence, speed, and determination."

Yoshinori Arimatsu of Toyota added: "Kazuki has already matured with the team in GP2 winter testing, and I believe we will benefit from our early start for the 2007 GP2 season."

Toyota also announced their plans for two of Nakajima's fellow F3 drivers from this season.

Kohei Hirate will also step up to GP2 with Trident Racing, while Kamui Kobayashi will move to the multiple title-winning ASM F3 team in the Euro Series.

WRC
Quote:
Marcus Gronholm is hoping to avoid making any errors as he tries to help Ford secure the manufacturers' title in New Zealand next weekend.

The Finn ruined his chances of taking the drivers' title by crashing early in Australia, and doesn't want to make another costly error.

The Ford team need to outscore Kronos Citroen by three points to seal the title next weekend, and the continued absence of world champion Sebastien Loeb will make their job a little easier.

"It's great that the team is in this position," said Gronholm, "but I must be more careful than I was in Australia and avoid making any stupid mistakes.

"The reliability of our new car this year has been excellent and I really hope we can take the title, but we are not taking it for granted."

2006 has been the most successful in terms of wins for Ford, with Gronholm taking five and Mikko Hirvonen scoring his maiden victory last time out in Australia.

DTM
Quote:
Valentino Rossi was thrilled by his experience of a Mercedes DTM car at Hockenheim on Thursday.

Rossi did a handful of laps in the morning after having a passenger ride with current champion Bernd Schneider, and he then had more running in the afternoon once the track had dried.

According to Gazzetta Dello Sport, Rossi's best lap was within one second of Jamie Green's lap record around the circuit.

The Italian enjoyed the experience, which he said was just for fun because he is a DTM fan.

"It was great, I really enjoyed the car," he said. "The most fun thing is the throttle, with no traction control."

Unlike most drivers, Rossi didn't think the car felt close to a single seater. However, his main experience of an open-wheel car came from his F1 tests with Ferrari.

"It's got a powerful engine and is very fast. The feeling when driving it is closer to a road car than an F1 single seater," he said.

"At the beginning I made two mistakes, but after that I lapped very quickly, with no errors."

Rossi ruled out a switch to cars anytime soon, but believes he would enjoy competing in a DTM race.

"I took my decision to carry on with bikes, and I'm standing by that," he said. "Ferrari made me a very good offer, but I want to concentrate on next season and regaining the MotoGP title.

"After my bike career you never know what will happen. Maybe if I feel like doing a DTM race, Mercedes would allow me to. I'm sure it would be fun."

F1

Quote:
British Grand Prix bosses have rejected the proposal from Bernie Ecclestone to alternate their race with the French Grand Prix.

Ecclestone proposed the idea to Silverstone's owners, the British Racing Drivers' Club (BRDC), as a way of ensuring the race's long-term future without the need for an expensive renovation of facilities to take place immediately.

It was proposed that the race-sharing scheme would start in 2008, with Silverstone hosting the race that year and Magny-Cours getting it the following year. The alternating venue proposal would last for 10 years.

But after examining the idea, the BRDC have informed Ecclestone that they are not interested in the proposal.

BRDC chairman Stuart Rolt told The Times newspaper: "We said it doesn't work for us. We were not able to see how a Grand Prix every second year works financially — we have to keep the place in a suitable condition for a Grand Prix — and in terms of staffing.

"You may be able to let some staff go temporarily and hire them back, but that's a difficult way to run a business."

Ecclestone has said that he will accept Silverstone's decision and not force the issue - although admitted that nothing was guaranteed for the event beyond the end of its current deal in 2009.

"Silverstone stays where they are. We respect our contracts and we'll see what happens when the contract runs out."

Rolt echoed Ecclestone's comments that the race's future was not certain.

"I really can't reassure them (the fans) after 2009," Rolt said. "To me there is a danger that we cannot, or we are somehow unable to, find a way to fund the improvements or there may be a point where the amount of money we have to pay for hosting the Grand Prix becomes untenable.
"
Quote:
Japan's Kazuki Nakajima said on Friday he has targeted a Formula One race seat in 2008 following his appointment as a test driver for Williams.

The 21-year-old son of former F1 driver Satoru Nakajima becomes the third Japanese driver in the glamour sport alongside Super Aguri's Takuma Sato and Sakon Yamamoto.

"My ultimate goal is to be an F1 race driver," Nakajima told reporters after signing his Williams contract. "I hope to achieve that in 2008."

Nakajima will work with the Williams team's other test driver, Indian Narain Karthikeyan. Williams expect Nakajima to start testing before the end of the year.

The Japanese will also compete in GP2, the Formula One feeder series, with the Le Mans-based DAMS team alongside Frenchman Nicolas Lapierre.

Nakajima competed in the Formula Three Euro Series this year and is a former Formula Toyota champion in Japan.

"His times are outstanding," Toyota motorsports division deputy general manager Hiromi Hayashi said. "He is very fast and has the physical strength to drive all day."

Once-mighty Williams have just completed their worst season in Formula One for 30 years, scoring only 11 points as they slumped to eighth of the 11 teams.

Quote:
Formula One waved goodbye to many big names this year - with Michael Schumacher, Jacques Villeneuve, Juan Pablo Montoya and Ross Brawn all set to be watching the 2007 Australian Grand Prix from the sofa rather than at the track.

While many fans will miss their favourites, a lot of the paddock will also be ruing the loss of Bridgestone's popular technical manager Hisao Suganuma, whose tour of duty in Formula One comes to an end after December's winter testing.

Suganuma took up his current position at the start of 2001 and has helped guide Ferrari to four world championship titles – as well as building a strong rapport with Michael Schumacher.

And although he did not get the dream send off with another world title this season before his return home to Japan, Suganuma has told autosport.com that he is proud of the job Bridgestone did this year.

Q. Are you disappointed to be leaving F1, or are you looking forward to returning home to Japan?

Hisao SuganumaHisao Suganuma: I like Formula One very much, so in that respect I am a little bit disappointed. But on the other hand going back to Japan, because I am Japanese, it means that I can be together with my family again, which is nice.

Q. You have had a great five years in your position – winning four championships and a lot of success with Michael Schumacher...

HS: Yes, actually this is my sixth season. I am quite happy with what I could do. Of course the last year (2005) was the only year where we were quite disappointed.

Q. Were there any particular favourite moments that stand out?

HS: Well, the things I remember are the 2002 and 2004 seasons. In those years we made some great success, I would say, and we could show the clear advantage on the tyre performance. They were very good years for me.

Q. How do you evaluate the 2006 season and the way it panned out?

HS: In this season we could make some big steps forward in tyre performance. We developed the new construction during the winter testing and that helped quite well. Those new constructions helped the compound quite a lot, so we could use full performance of the compounds and that allowed us to use the softer range of compounds.

That gave better performance to the car, so that was where we made quite a good success with the tyre. So I am quite satisfied with the outcome of this season's campaign.

Q. Was it one of the toughest you remember in terms of the fluctuations in form and trying to pick the right tyre for a given weekend?

HS: Yes, of course every season is tough. We had to choose the right tyre at the right moment, and we had a few strong teams this year and that meant we had to have special attention for everybody.

That was tougher for us, but on the other hand having a few strong teams was always good for the tyre development point of view because we could always cross-reference the results, so we could make sure that the results were correct. And we could do the testing in a parallel way, which accelerated the speed of development. That helped with this year's success.

Q. The kind of dominance you showed at some races from mid-season onwards, do you think that would not have been possible without the extra knowledge supplied by Williams and Toyota?

HS: It is difficult to say, but as I said having a few strong teams accelerated the development speed. Because we tried to enhance this tyre performance therefore the tyre working range itself was quite peaky, with a very narrow operating band.

The drivers needed to control it in a precise way, but they are professional and they could use that type of tyre and get the full performance out of the tyres – and there was good collaboration between the tyre manufacturers and the teams. And between the teams as well.

We did some data sharing of our test results, and that also helped quite well with each team. They knew what the others were doing, and the teams could make a cross reference to their results and other team's results. This season was a tough season but I could enjoy it very much.

Q. One of the key advantages Bridgestone had at the end of the season was the one-lap pace the tyre had in qualifying. Do you think that was a key factor in getting Ferrari back into the title hunt, because Renault admitted that their strategies were compromised at times because they could not control things from the front?

HS: To be honest we were not particularly aiming to enhance single lap performance. Although in the previous year with some tyres we struggled with single lap performance, and with this year's tyres we also initially struggled with it thanks to warm up issues, we made a concerted effort to improve in that area. Our compound choice did a lot to help in that area and that was the result.

So we had the new type of compound this year and that gave us quite a lot of advantage on the total tyre performance. Then, together with our team's efforts to make a better car set-up for those tyres, our effort helped make the cars faster.

Q. Was there an element of frustration that after a really tough battle between Bridgestone and Michelin all season, the title fight was all but decided by Michael Schumacher's engine failure in Japan, and not by a pure performance fight?

HS: You know, that was just racing. Sometimes it does happen because our tyres are not always perfect – sometimes we see high degradation or even a failure. Things happen on the car side as well, so I would say we are mature enough to understand that these things go on.

Q. You didn't win either of the championships in Brazil, but you still dominated the race. What were your feelings after Interlagos?

HS: From a tyre performance point of view I was really happy. It was clear that our tyre performed perfectly I would say and in the technical meeting after the race with Ferrari, both Felipe (Massa) and Michael said to us that the tyre performed perfectly. Both drivers said to us that the tyre was fantastic and as you can see in the race Michael's performance was exceptional.

I would have enjoyed it if everything was correct with Michael (instead of him suffering the puncture) and the whole package could have given maximum performance. It was a shame Michael could not have won the race in the end, but he might have. And if he had won there could have been a miracle to help him win the championship.

Q. Are you satisfied with the job you did this season?

HS: I think we made a big step forward in terms of tyre performance this year so from the engineering point of view I am really happy about this year's outcome.

Quote:
Bridgestone should still feel proud of what they achieved in Formula One this season, despite seeing rivals Michelin help Renault grab both world championships.

That is the view of the Japanese tyre manufacturer's outgoing technical manager Hisao Suganuma, who has told autosport.com that he is more than satisfied with the work Bridgestone did this year to help Ferrari fight for the titles.

"I think we made a big step forward in terms of tyre performance this year, so from the engineering point of view I am really happy about this year's outcome," said Suganuma, who saw his company bounce back after a troubled 2005 campaign.

"We developed the new construction during the winter testing and that helped quite well. Those new constructions helped the compound quite a lot, so we could use full performance of the compounds and that allowed us to use the softer range of compounds.

"That gave better performance to the car, so that was where we made quite a good success with the tyre. So I am quite satisfied with the outcome of this season's campaign."

Suganuma will leave Formula One after winter testing, with his tour of duty in the sport coming to an end. Japanese company policy dictates frequent personnel rotation, so he will return to Bridgestone's motorsport division in Tokyo.

When asked if he was sad to be leaving the sport, he said: "I like Formula One very much, so in that respect I am a little bit disappointed. But on the other hand going back to Japan, because I am Japanese, it means that I can be together with my family again, which is nice."

Quote:
Imola will press ahead with circuit modifications later this month, despite next year's San Marino Grand Prix appearing to have no chance of getting its place back on the Formula One calendar.

The pit building at the Circuit Enzo e Dino Ferrari will be destroyed by dynamite on November 19, prior to renovation work going ahead to create new facilities.

Although the Grand Prix has been dropped from next year's schedule, Imola mayor Massimo Marchignoli told Gazzetta dello Sport that the circuit was still looking ahead to getting the race back in 2008 - which is why the work is happening and new race organisers are being appointed.

"Imola wants to maintain the prestige of its circuit," he said. "I'm convinced the absence of Formula One will be just a one-year thing, and we'll get it back for the 2008 season.

"In the meantime, on our part, the first step will be to change the management of the track, because Sagis (previous organisers) lacked the financial conditions demanded by Bernie Ecclestone to meet the new contract requests. This change should happen very soon, already before the end of the year."

Sagis president Federico Bendinelli responded: "We'll evaluate what steps to take. At the very least we will demand of the town of Imola what we are due for the investments done through the years in order to satisfy the needs of the circuit."

justcause110

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:44 pm    Author: justcause110    Post subject:

:shock:

Priaulx to win WTCC

I do wish they make it more exact and say Guernseyman, not just Brit.

[ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Deal or No Deal forum index » General Forums » Sports DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]