Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:53 am Last visit was: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:53 am

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » General Forums » General Discussion » Sports DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 18 posts ] 

jonny

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:48 pm    Author: jonny    Post subject: England vs. Ecuador - Discussion

Warnings: 0
74 mins till kick off!

So what does everyone think is going to happen? i genuinely think it's gonna go to extra time. don't know why, but something tells me ecuador are not going to be walk overs. 1-1, with england taking it in extra time. hopefully, anyway.

in a way there's little point in england going through unless they thrash ecuador. they need to sort out their tactics and their play, otherwise they won't beat holland/portugal in the qfs...

73 mins now!

23rd, 24th and 25th of July 2008 (Adam, Helen, William) recorded 7th April 2008

18th, 19th and 20th May 2009 (Cath, Sean, Lynne) recorded 4th February 2009

10th, 11th and 13th December 2009 recorded 4th June 2009

KP

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:03 pm    Author: KP    Post subject:
International Forums Moderator

If England aren't leading at half time it's over. Ecuador are far more accustomed to these conditions and that will tell in the second half. And honestly, where are England's goals going to come from at the moment?

2-0 Ecuador for me, both goals in the second half.

Power5

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:08 pm    Author: Power5    Post subject:

KP wrote:
If England aren't leading at half time it's over. Ecuador are far more accustomed to these conditions and that will tell in the second half. And honestly, where are England's goals going to come from at the moment?

2-0 Ecuador for me, both goals in the second half.

Where are our goals going to come from, you say? Well we're not short of players capable of scoring (Gerrard, Lampard, Joe Cole, Rooney) but they need to start stringing more than three passes together, or rely on Beckham set-pieces.

OK the heat is against us, and the constant tinkering with the team is doing us no favours at all - I agree there's a fair chance of it all going wrong for us. But Ecuador's best player couldn't cut it at Southampton. Lose this and none of them deserve to ever wear an England shirt again.

daniel4389

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:20 pm    Author: daniel4389    Post subject:

I hope it goes to penalties. I understand penalties.

And I'm supporting Ecuador, of course. I don't actually know, but I'd imagine they've never been in a World Cup quarter-final before. England have. It's their turn!

OK, I'd better say something useful. I predict, erm...1-0 to England. They'll win, but not very spectacularly.

KP

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:43 pm    Author: KP    Post subject:

daniel4389 wrote:
I hope it goes to penalties. I understand penalties.

And I'm supporting Ecuador, of course. I don't actually know, but I'd imagine they've never been in a World Cup quarter-final before. England have. It's their turn!

OK, I'd better say something useful. I predict, erm...1-0 to England. They'll win, but not very spectacularly.

Ecuador have never made the second round, even. As for penalties - yay! It's just like the endgame of The Weakest Link! :D

Mental Mickey

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:46 pm    Author: Mental Mickey    Post subject:

Location: Secret lair inside a hollowed-out volcano somewhere near Preston
I can't help but shake the feeling that I should have walked into Ladbrokes yesterday and put a few quid on Ecuador. :oops:

I'd like England to progress, but I'm not at all sure they will. Ecuador are not a bad side, and managed to beat both Brazil and Argentina in qualifying. They pose more of a threat than people give them credit for.

I can see this game going to extra time and even penalties. And if it gets that far, then god knows what could happen!

Favourite contestants:

50 Shows Lucy, £20 Gerry

GeordieGerry

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:56 pm    Author: GeordieGerry    Post subject:

I want something good to come out of the next couple of hours so I have decided to watch the game AND do the ironing!

GEORDIE

If we get beaten by Ecuador it is going to be hell for us folk living north of the border. Takes a cyber Valium and logs off.

LizzyLou

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:02 pm    Author: LizzyLou    Post subject:

Why is is always painful to watch England? I can't cope with penalties so they'd better get their act together in the second half!!

"The Banker"

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:20 pm    Author: "The Banker"    Post subject:

1 - 0 to England! :-D

daniel4389

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:53 pm    Author: daniel4389    Post subject:

daniel4389 wrote:

Oh yes. I'm so great.

GeordieGerry

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:02 pm    Author: GeordieGerry    Post subject:

They were average.
No more - no less.

never_wrong

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:09 pm    Author: never_wrong    Post subject:

It irks me that some people are saying that we didn't deserve to win....please, Ecuador were worse than us! We weren't great but we could, and should given the chances Lampard especially missed, have won 2 or 3-0 comfortably. However, if we play like that against Holland or Portugal in the next round, we'll be out.

KP

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:00 pm    Author: KP    Post subject:

Perhaps it's safer to say, not that we didn't deserve to win, but that Ecuador deserved to lose. They just didn't turn up, and England owe their victory to that in my opinion.

Whoever wins tonight's match can start preparing for the semi-final, neither will have any trouble at all getting past England unless they change dramatically - which isn't going to happen.

Power5

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:04 pm    Author: Power5    Post subject:

KP wrote:
Perhaps it's safer to say, not that we didn't deserve to win, but that Ecuador deserved to lose. They just didn't turn up, and England owe their victory to that in my opinion.

Whoever wins tonight's match can start preparing for the semi-final, neither will have any trouble at all getting past England unless they change dramatically - which isn't going to happen.

I think Ecuador were just a poor side who came up against two even poorer ones in Poland and Costa Rica.

England weren't massively better but tonight's ref has done us a favour with at least two Portugal players now suspended, plus Ronaldo an injury doubt.

golden_touch19

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:08 pm    Author: golden_touch19    Post subject:

At the end of the day, we can criticise England all we like, but they don't go through on performance, they go through if they win. And win they did. If they do that three more times, however badly they play whilst doing it, we've got the world cup! So I'm inclined not to criticise their performance - if they lose, then I will, but as long as they're winning, they can play as poorly as they like.

Duffer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:27 pm    Author: Duffer    Post subject:

golden_touch19 wrote:
At the end of the day, we can criticise England all we like, but they don't go through on performance, they go through if they win. And win they did. If they do that three more times, however badly they play whilst doing it, we've got the world cup! So I'm inclined not to criticise their performance - if they lose, then I will, but as long as they're winning, they can play as poorly as they like.

Absolutely! I don't know whether it's Sven's experience of Italian football shining through but this team does appear to have the stereotypical Italian mentality of doing 'just enough' to win. It's not the prettiest football you'll ever see but it appears to be mighty effective.

We've not been behind at any stage in the competetion so far, let alone looking like losing and my main concern at this stage is how the players would react if we were.

I guess only time will tell if they have genuinely been playing within themselves or whether they just aren't good enough at the very highest level.

I still maintain I've not seen another team that I would be genuinely frightened by. We've as good a chance as any of the rest that are left.

jonny

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:00 pm    Author: jonny    Post subject:

so, for those who didn't know

Quarter Final Match - England vs. PORTUGAL << July 1st (time?)

as Power5 pointed out, two of Portugal's players were redded, so won't be allowed to play, and Ronaldo has an injury, so could underperform, or not play for some of it...

if we win that one, we'd play against either Brazil, Ghana, France or Spain in the semi-final...which would be the biggest challenge yet...

23rd, 24th and 25th of July 2008 (Adam, Helen, William) recorded 7th April 2008

18th, 19th and 20th May 2009 (Cath, Sean, Lynne) recorded 4th February 2009

10th, 11th and 13th December 2009 recorded 4th June 2009

Ciara

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:10 pm    Author: Ciara    Post subject:

Location: Caught beneath the landslide in a champagne supernova in the sky
England were woeful in the second half but seemed to improve in the second half.

Portugal is a whole new ball game for England. They are lucky Deco is suspended.

Member of the Noel's Beard Fanclub.

[ 18 posts ] 
Deal or No Deal forum index » General Forums » General Discussion » Sports DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]