Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 5:20 am Last visit was: Fri May 03, 2024 5:20 am

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close soon on 3 May 2024. More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » General Forums » General Discussion » Sports DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Ciara

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:22 pm    Author: Ciara    Post subject:

Location: Caught beneath the landslide in a champagne supernova in the sky
Warnings: 0
Great goal from Joe Cole, absolutely brilliant!

England's defending from set pieces tonight was dreadful, absolutely woeful. You expect better from them.

Member of the Noel's Beard Fanclub.

Ciara

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:09 am    Author: Ciara    Post subject:

Also, Stevie G is the man!

never_wrong

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:17 am    Author: never_wrong    Post subject:

Ciara wrote:
Also, Stevie G is the man!

Being an Everton fan, I really want to dislike Gerrard. In fact I want to hate him.....but I can't - the guy's just too good :?

Peter Crouch, on the other hand.......... ;)

Ciara

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:20 am    Author: Ciara    Post subject:

:D Crouchie comes in for alot of stick but he's not doing too badly at the moment. Ideally, he's not a first team player for England or Liverpool but as circumstances have it, he's been thrown in there and done well for himself!

I remember his goal at Goodison this season, I honestly thought he was going to fluff it. I thought he had taken it too far past the goalkeeper.

never_wrong

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:25 am    Author: never_wrong    Post subject:

Ciara wrote:
:D Crouchie comes in for alot of stick but he's not doing too badly at the moment. Ideally, he's not a first team player for England or Liverpool but as circumstances have it, he's been thrown in there and done well for himself!

I remember his goal at Goodison this season, I honestly thought he was going to fluff it. I thought he had taken it too far past the goalkeeper.

What goal was that then? I appear to have a selective memory when it comes to football ;)

Seriously, having seen Crouch play three times now at th World Cup, he's done nothing to change my opinion that he's a lamppost with legs. He doesn't seem to know what he's doing half the time (should I pass? shoot?) and seems totally out of his depth. Plus, when he plays, England go with the long ball far too much, which is ironic since Crouch is pretty poor in the air for a big guy. It's as if he just doesn't jump and expects the ball to land on his head......At least with Owen and Rooney it encourages the team to play through the midfield, which is arguably our strongest position on the field.

Tom22

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:25 am    Author: Tom22    Post subject:

It looks like Owen will be out for the rest of the tournament with his knee injury.

Coincidentally was exactly the same thing i did to my knee in December and i couldnt run for at least 4 weeks.

If Owen did what I did, his knee dislocated sideways taking the ligiments with it and snapping half of them.

It Hurts a lot!!!!

3rd. Toms Shrews III 1221
Top Scorer this week - dondsters 147 Worst scorer this week - Adium United 33
Bottom - Hammond's Heroes 766
(After Gameweek 22)

simone

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:15 pm    Author: simone    Post subject:

glad to see joe Cole got man of the match espically after his fantastic goal definatly the best goal of the tournament by miles. Have to say this even though it pains me but Owen Hargreaves was the second best player for england

Maltus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:34 pm    Author: Maltus    Post subject:

simone wrote:
glad to see joe Cole got man of the match espically after his fantastic goal definatly the best goal of the tournament by miles. Have to say this even though it pains me but Owen Hargreaves was the second best player for england

I always said he's a good player, and glad he did well yesterday. He's been too easily written off by the media in the past, for my liking. Its just cos people don't see him week in week out.

Ciara

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:40 pm    Author: Ciara    Post subject:

never_wrong wrote:

Seriously, having seen Crouch play three times now at th World Cup, he's done nothing to change my opinion that he's a lamppost with legs. He doesn't seem to know what he's doing half the time (should I pass? shoot?) and seems totally out of his depth. Plus, when he plays, England go with the long ball far too much, which is ironic since Crouch is pretty poor in the air for a big guy. It's as if he just doesn't jump and expects the ball to land on his head......At least with Owen and Rooney it encourages the team to play through the midfield, which is arguably our strongest position on the field.

You're right about the long ball thing. Because of his height players just tend to lump it up to him, but he's actually better when the ball is played into his feet. That hasn't happened enough, especially when he was playing with Owen and that's probably why he has been poor this tournament.

With Rooney's introduction the ball will probably be played into feet more which will help him. He's good at holding the ball up and bringing others into play, but with Gerrard pinned back the onus is on Lampard to get into the box and he's not done enough in there to justify his selection as the attacking midfielder.

Crouch will always get alot of stick if there's no end product as he tends to take the blame when England or Liverpool are branded "boring" or "long ball teams". But he showed last night for Gerrard's goal that if people get forward and support him he will do some damage. There's no point lumping the ball to Crouch for him to flick on if there's no-one running beyond him.

never_wrong

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:37 pm    Author: never_wrong    Post subject:

I shudder in disbelief at the apparent consensus that Sven will now go with Crouch as the lone front man with five in the midfield. Surely we'll never score that way?

KP

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:59 pm    Author: KP    Post subject:
International Forums Moderator

If it means the midfielders actually attack, that makes a tad more sense than anything else Sven's come up with.

never_wrong

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:06 pm    Author: never_wrong    Post subject:

The midfielders should attack in theory, but unfortunately the second half against Paraguay gives a more likely indication of what would happen

Ciara

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:18 pm    Author: Ciara    Post subject:

I don't think he will go with Crouch upfront alone with Rooney fit again. If Rooney is fit he has to play. Especially now that Owen is out.

golden_touch19

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:29 pm    Author: golden_touch19    Post subject:

Maltus wrote:
simone wrote:

I always said he's a good player, and glad he did well yesterday. He's been too easily written off by the media in the past, for my liking. Its just cos people don't see him week in week out.

I hate it when you're right. It was all I could think every time Owen flippin Hargreaves got the ball. And I HATE BEING WRONG!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR......

[ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Deal or No Deal forum index » General Forums » General Discussion » Sports DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]