Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:16 am Last visit was: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:16 am

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » General Forums » Sports DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 334 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:15 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: The Official 2009/10 Football Season Thread

Warnings: 0
Dindane's move to Blackburn is off! Talks broke down apparently, despite him already undergoing a medical!

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:35 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: The Official 2009/10 Football Season Thread

And Keane's joine Celtic on loan until the end of the season, as expected!

What a coup for the Bhoys!

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:51 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: The Official 2009/10 Football Season Thread

So...today's the day (in theory) the Premier League title race becomes a two-horse race...Stamford Bridge is a fortress to so many clubs...Arsenal have it all to do today!

greeny

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:01 pm    Author: greeny    Post subject: Re: The Official 2009/10 Football Season Thread

Nice draw for England in the Euro 2012 qualifiers - Northern Ireland and Scotland might as well give up before they've started.

daniel123

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:36 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: The Official 2009/10 Football Season Thread
Forum Games Moderator

Looking forward to the FA Cup match against Portsmouth today.

I mean by this, rather apprehensive as to its outcome.

But it should be good. The men in blue don't do much thesedays, and the only two they've managed to keep hold of since that FA Cup win are James, who's 239 years old, and that Icelandic guy, who's about 136. Oh, and the other bloke. Well, they're not household names, to be honest...so maybe they've got a few more.

But certainly they won't pose much of a threat, as long as we keep our head about us. I'm putting nothing on this, but predicting 2-1 to Saints at home. Our league position isn't representative of our playing..

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:39 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: The Official 2009/10 Football Season Thread

4-1 TO POMPEY!!!

Wow! Even you wouldn't have predicted that one, Dan! :P

Arguably one of the best forwards outside the Premier League, Rickie Lambert equalised for the Saints, with around 20 minutes left, before Pompey turned the screw and turned it into an unlucky collapse for the Saints!

Thoroughly deserved for you guys, really hope you make it through this troubled period!

daniel123

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:59 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: The Official 2009/10 Football Season Thread
Forum Games Moderator

Ah. I realise that post of mine was misleading. Well, when I look at it, it makes me look as if I could be from either side. Which I'm really not...

If I were a Portsmouth fan...

Which I haven't been for a long time now...

Then I wouldn't have been crying after that game...

...and I wouldn't have erupted from my chair as I watched God equalise for us...

..and I wouldn't have erupted from my chair in utter dismay as Barnard was called for offside...

..and I wouldn't have been left with a mouth big enough for a tennis ball for the whole of the last 15 minutes. But I was.

My heart faded away from the Portsmouth side of things a long time ago, really. I was only ever a fan in the first place, I suppose, because of my proximity to the area - there was no passion as such. My heart was always 17 miles further West, in that haven they call St Mary's. Well - I've only ever been to St Mary's, anyway.

And so, even though a year ago I'd have been elated at such a victory, now isn't last year. That for me was devastation - we collapsed, putting everything into our attack as we had no choice, and immediately paid the price for that.

On an off-pitch note, I know I'm "from the other side" but we've been through what these people are going through. It's VERY hard. Again, here's hoping they find a way out - I mean, that's a club we love to hate, THE only club we love to hate, and vice versa..and if they went, we wouldn't have anything like that. It'd be boring.

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:51 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: The Official 2009/10 Football Season Thread

Wise words...

Now for the FA Cup Sixth Round Draw...12 teams still in the competition, only 8 places left though so 4 replays are to be played!

Chelsea v Manchester City or Stoke City
Fulham v Bolton Wanderers or Tottenham Hotspur
Reading or West Bromwich Albion v Crystal Palace or Aston Villa
Portsmouth v Birmingham City

Ties to be played weekend of 6th and 7th March 2010.

So we will definitely lose one of the two big favourites in the Chelsea v Man City/Stoke fixture!

greeny

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:27 pm    Author: greeny    Post subject: Re: The Official 2009/10 Football Season Thread

A rather fantastic result for my team today:

Everton 3-1 Manchester United

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:20 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: The Official 2009/10 Football Season Thread

Average night in the Europa League so far; Liverpool and Fulham both through to the last 16, but Everton's European dream is over!

But the big news is of course to do with Portsmouth, whose fate was finally sealed this afternoon...tomorrow morning they will become the first-ever Premier League club to enter administration, and be docked 9 points which all-but ensures they will be playing in the Championship next season.

As sad as the news is however, my sympathy is very limited for them. How on earth they had such huge debts despite selling players for a value of well over £80million? Something was allowed to go horribly wrong there, and as for the multiple owners this season I think it's finally clear as to why they couldn't secure funding against the club! Basically Pompey were fighting a losing battle for a long time...and are concrete evidence that unless you're a good stable club like Spurs or Villa, don't bother trying to gamble big salaries and transfer funds on trophies...Pompey won just the one, exited European football immediately without any progression, and began their steep decline...

So that's one down, two more to join them...and Wolves manager Mick McCarthy reckons it'll be three from seven clubs going down...I'm assuming he's included his own club among those seven along with Burnley, Wigan, Sunderland, Bolton and Hull...so West Ham are to stay up after all ay?! I wouldn't rule them out just yet...

Tom22

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:02 pm    Author: Tom22    Post subject: Re: The Official 2009/10 Football Season Thread

Aron Ramesy has an Edwardo esque injury... it was horrible just to see his leg at all the wrong angles. Poor guy and a blow to Welsh football.

3rd. Toms Shrews III 1221
Top Scorer this week - dondsters 147 Worst scorer this week - Adium United 33
Bottom - Hammond's Heroes 766
(After Gameweek 22)

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:38 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: The Official 2009/10 Football Season Thread

Shawcross isn't the nasty type...his reaction was the same as Martin Taylor's, breaking down while walking off the pitch, and god knows how he'll bounce back from this (Taylor had to sustain death threats)...Ramsey will probably be out til 2011 now, god speed with his recovery!

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:43 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: The Official 2009/10 Football Season Thread

And speaking of Shawcross, he's in Capello's squad for the upcoming match against Egypt.

Stephen Warnock and Leighton Baines get called up for the left-back position...good calls!

The England squad in full:

GOALKEEPERS:
David James (Portsmouth)
Robert Green (West Ham United)
Joe Hart (Manchester City; on loan at Birmingham City)

DEFENDERS:
Wes Brown (Manchester United)
John Terry (Chelsea)
Matthew Upson (West Ham United)
Joleon Lescott (Manchester City)
Ryan Shawcross (Stoke City)
Leighton Baines (Everton)
Stephen Warnock (Aston Villa)

MIDFIELDERS:
James Milner (Aston Villa)
David Beckham (Los Angeles Galaxy; on loan at A.C. Milan)
Theo Walcott (Arsenal)
Frank Lampard (Chelsea)
Gareth Barry (Manchester City)
Steven Gerrard (Liverpool)
Michael Carrick (Manchester United)
Shaun Wright-Phillips (Manchester City)
Stewart Downing (Aston Villa)

FORWARDS:
Emile Heskey (Aston Villa)
Jermain Defoe (Tottenham Hotspur)
Wayne Rooney (Manchester United)
Peter Crouch (Tottenham Hotspur)
Carlton Cole (West Ham United)

Club count:
Aston Villa: 4
Manchester City: 4
West Ham United: 3
Manchester United: 3
Tottenham Hotspur: 2
Chelsea: 2
Liverpool: 1
Portsmouth: 1
Stoke City: 1
Everton: 1
Arsenal: 1

Outside of England: 1

daniel123

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:32 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: The Official 2009/10 Football Season Thread
Forum Games Moderator

I think I agree with Davey on Portsmouth - though I am very much with Avram Grant in saying that the point deductions shouldn't be dealt out to clubs for going into administration.

The people who are there now haven't done anything wrong. Well, actually a few of them have, because they were in charge of the club when this mess was set up...but still, the majority haven't done any harm to the club. It's not fair that they should be penalised - let alone that the point deduction itself, really, is the equivalent of kicking a man in the nether regions when he's down. For clubs, administration is a heck of a hard thing to endure. (And I'm hinting at my own club here, not the guys at Portsmouth.)
So really it's not necessary to punish these people when they've not broken the rules, if you see where I'm coming from. It's the people who have, who should be penalised in some way.

Quite how, though, don't ask me.

Anyway, onto more positive matters. I watched that England game from around the 35th minute or so, and I must admit that during that first half I was genuinely worried. We were being torn apart almost, we presented no threat whatsoever and were resorting just to defence, by the looks of it. It worked, very well, but we didn't come forward and attack as much as I'd have hoped.
Of course, in the second half the engine finally got itself started, we gained momentum and overtook Egypt by a country mile, and indeed that 3-1 win was very much deserved because in the second half we dominated. But still - there is many a team who will present much more of a threat to us than Egypt, and I question whether we'd get away with that first half performance the more we did it.
Which, hopefully, we won't.

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:43 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: The Official 2009/10 Football Season Thread

POMPEY ARE GOING BACK TO WEMBLEY!!!

Just like I felt for Luton last season, doomed and therefore deserving of a trophy, one big outing before the drop, Pompey really do deserve this cup run...even if it now means Joe Hart's Wembley dream is over this season :lol:

daniel123

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:29 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: The Official 2009/10 Football Season Thread
Forum Games Moderator

Yes. A well-deserved win, and I say that genuinely. For all they have been through, they needed that and they get a sort-of pat on the back from me. Not to mention Avram Grant - who is an idol of a man, I don't care how much I'm slated for saying this but we would love him over here. We couldn't have him, though - he evidently has given much of his own time to that club, he is evidently utterly committed. The way he's gone about things in past weeks I'll admit has brought a tear to my eye - a great man.

But unfortunately neither Avram Grant's emotions nor the Cup semi-final are related to the League or finances (apart from the payment for cup progression).

So, after we lost 2-1 away earlier, I'm more keen to keep my eye on that side of things, personally. Because apart from that, I now have nothing else to mock them on. But as I say, I would pat the men in blue on the back, because they deserve their final four place. They won't be in a Wembley final like us, but they should be commended for a return there amidst the utter nightmare unfolding around them.

By the way, the debt ticker is now at £86,000,000 according to the Sun. First £7.5m to the taxman (then £11.5, £12.5 and £17.5m) and £60,000,000, which rose to £70,000,000...now it's at £86,000,000 in total, apparently.

A good idea for a poll now, I'd have thought - can they survive?

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:16 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: The Official 2009/10 Football Season Thread

In short, relegation will give them a fresh start...someone can hopefully buy the club and start again with it...

Now, while Portsmouth are going to Wembley, arguably the two other deserving quarter-finalists aren't...Reading who stunned Liverpool, slumped from 2-0 up to 4-2 down against Aston Villa...and Stoke simply didn't get going as they lost 2-0 to Chelsea...

And here's the Semi-Final draw...

Aston Villa v Chelsea
Tottenham Hotspur or Fulham v Portsmouth

Ties to be played weekend of 10th-11th April

All I can say is...at last, Chelsea actually have a good team to play...they've had it ridiculously easy so far this Cup!

greeny

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:23 pm    Author: greeny    Post subject: Re: The Official 2009/10 Football Season Thread

Chelsea v Spurs final IMO

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:00 am    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: The Official 2009/10 Football Season Thread

Would love for Villa to be in another Cup final...but the FA Cup really has been stamped on by Chelsea of late...it's theirs now to lose!

daniel123

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:49 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: The Official 2009/10 Football Season Thread
Forum Games Moderator

I've been scouting the BBC Sport website again...and look what I've found:

Yes, when everyone else is talking about the football..guess what Poor old Pompey are more concerned about..

[ 334 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » General Forums » Sports DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]