Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:19 pm Last visit was: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:19 pm

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » General Forums » Sports DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 6 posts ] 

Will Wigan qualify for European football?
Poll ended at Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:14 pm
Yes 16%  16%  [ 1 ]
No 83%  83%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 6

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:14 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Sports Poll of the Week 17: Wigan Athletic

Warnings: 0
What a time to be a Wigan fan, it would seem!

In 2005, they achieved the unthinkable; promotion to the Premier League for the first time in the club's history!

Now about to complete their fourth straight season in the top flight, they're well placed to achieve what would be Dave Whelan's biggest Wigan dream, and qualify for next season's Europa League (the revamped UEFA Cup)!

For a club who has only been in the Football League for 31 years to achieve such a feat would be simply remarkable - but do you think they can finish at least seventh to confirm their place in European football next season?

They're currently 7th, with 8 games to go:

Everton (A)
Arsenal (H)
Blackburn (A)
Bolton (H)
West Bromwich Albion (A)
Manchester United (H)
Stoke City (A)
Portsmouth (H)

Wigan are on 41 points, ahead of West Ham on goal difference, Fulham are on 40, Manchester City and Tottenham Hotspur both on 38. Everton are above them in sixth place with 48 points. Fifth, sixth and seventh will qualify for the Europa League as all the remaining teams in the FA Cup are in the top six.

I reckon three wins from those eight should do it!

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

davidovolic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:27 pm    Author: davidovolic    Post subject: Re: Sports Poll of the Week 17: Wigan Athletic

Wigan have done fantastic this season, especially considering their limited resources and the fact that they sold Heskey and Palacios in January. However, they lack firepower up front, with Zaki and Mido out of form, and they also lack creativity in midfield - the normal pairing of Cattermole and Watson are hard-working and solid, but not spectacular. Unless their defence is really good for the rest of the season, they will struggle to score goals, and the struggling teams they play will be desperate for points. I predict that either Spurs or Man City will come seventh, as their squads are considerably better and have more depth than those of the teams around them.

Power5

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:31 pm    Author: Power5    Post subject: Re: Sports Poll of the Week 17: Wigan Athletic

I think Spurs could do it, they've really hit form recently and it would be remarkable for a team who have been in the relegation battle all season to end up getting into Europe!

Wigan's run-in doesn't look great, two of the four home games are Arsenal and Man U, guess they've got a chance if they win the other two and win at West Brom who will probably be officially down by then. But if one of the others gets 4 or 5 wins out of 8 which is not impossible, that still might not be enough to get it.

Shaun2k5

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:15 pm    Author: Shaun2k5    Post subject: Re: Sports Poll of the Week 17: Wigan Athletic

Having been a shadow Wigan fan for the best part of five years now I can say it brings great joy to see them fighting it out for Europe but I hope for their sake they miss that aim this season.

THe problem comes though from what I call "Leeds syndrome". Essentially a team overstreches itself to achieve a goal which then leaves that team in a worse long term position. Bradford, Ipswich, Sunderland, Newcastle, Tottenham, Leeds (Best example) and Hull (Second half of season) all have fallen victim to it. They achieved more success than they should and paid for it big time.

I think they can achieve it but I personally hope they don't. the UEFA Cup is a minefield for fixture conjestion and while the squad may be able to take the demands of the Premiership - they won't if they have to fly to the eastern European blocks and then come back within the space of days. Doesn't work unless you have team depth and put bluntly - Wigan don't.

Factor in the upcoming games and United not likely to do them any favours - just looking unlikely.

Xbox 360 Gamercard

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:12 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: Sports Poll of the Week 17: Wigan Athletic

Well I think Wigan have one of the best chairmen in the game, Dave Whelan is one of the most respected men in the game nowadays. When Wigan were promoted, he gave Paul Jewell (the then manager) a £30million transfer budget to keep them up...and Jewell hardly spent half!

Since then, they've spent most of the remaining £15million, the rest coming from business...but the point I'm making is that should Wigan qualify for the Europa League, Whelan has vowed to open his chequebook again...so it does make my mouth water, especially when the last time he did so, he brought in good players whom we'd never heard of, like Pascal Chimbonda etc.

Wigan already have quality players in Antonio Valencia, and Amr Zaki (if he can find his form again)...they're sure to face a monster battle to keep Valencia this summer, but should they secure European football, I reckon they'll keep him.

Yes there's always the threat of a "Leeds" happening again..but most of the club's finances are based around Whelan, who although is looking for new investment, he's far from cash-strapped for the time being.

I've semi-followed Wigan ever since they stormed to promotion in 2004/5 and I think they've really come far...now with one of the best English managers in the game the sky really is the limit!

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

Shaun2k5

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:17 pm    Author: Shaun2k5    Post subject: Re: Sports Poll of the Week 17: Wigan Athletic

Dave Whelan likes one thing and that's Dave Whelan. The mans even gone as far as to put his own name on the stadium to showcase just how big he thinks he is and how important his opinion is - which in most cases he really should keep his nose out of. Maybe its because I'm a Saints (RLFC) fan but the mans a complete and utter egomagnet. He took Wigan rugby, sold their ground and them told them to go and play in the JJB stadium. Now that the footballs doing well he doesn't want them playing on HIS pitch and has given them 2 years to find an alternative location. Better still, any football clashes mean wigan rugby have to go up the road to Odsel - which isn't even in Wigan. How fair is that? Wigan don't have a ground anymore yet now have to find one all because Whelan used the money from that to fund his precious football team. Still it was funny as heck watching him try and butter up Andy Johnson then critise him as soon as he chose Fulham over Wigan.

In terms of manager - Bruce has no loyalty to Wigan. The last time he was manager at Wigan he got sacked after 40 days because he fell out with Whelan. He only took the job because it the best way to get himself back into the spotlight and he's done this - but don't be under the illusion he cares for Wigan. Would you rather manage a small Lancashire team that struggles to get 15k watching or manage your hometown which fills in at 50k every week? I know where I'd want to end up and I suspect as soon as Newcastle come sniffing round he won't be sticking round either. Not unless he feels he can get Wigan into the big time and keep them there.....

But as said - I love Wigan. I remember being there when they got promoted from the Second Division and remember watching the fans run on the pitch as they entered the Premiership. I even had a season ticket in that first season in the Premiership. If I ever turned my back on Liverpool it would be for Wigan. But my feelings to the owner and manager are pretty defined sadly. They could make Europe though this season - at least we agree on that :D

Xbox 360 Gamercard

[ 6 posts ] 
Deal or No Deal forum index » General Forums » Sports DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]