Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 6:18 am Last visit was: Mon May 06, 2024 6:18 am

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close on 21 June 2024 (extended deadline). More info here.

Deal or No Deal will return for a new series later in 2024.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » General Forums » General Discussion » Sports DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 11 posts ] 

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:03 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Football Club Quiz

Warnings: 0
Time for a feel-good activity!

Below are 33 cryptic phrases that, when worked out, lead to the names of 33 football club names, either in England or Scotland. You simply have to work out the football club names.

The rules are simple:

1. Submit your answers to me either by Private Message or via MSN/Live Messenger to keep it sportingly fair for others taking part.
2. You have until 8pm tomorrow night (Sunday 18th January) to submit your answers.

The answers will be revealed 9pm Sunday 18th January...

Here's an example:

EX. Wild Dogs

A wolf is a wild dog, so the obvious answer is Wolves (Wolverhampton Wanderers in full).

1. Cowboys have them
2. Professor on rollers
3. Male's meadow
4. Dirty Water
5. Males together
6. Push weight
7. Steel city day
8. Always one hundred
9. Famous for their buns
10. Cash service
11. A prison clock
12. Famous football brothers
13. Lock the door
14. Fill the harbour
15. Ask about ill parent
16. Brick after cotton factory
17. Car outside Spanish house
18. To put underground
19. Famous president of U.S.A.
20. Animal car
21. Latest fort
22. Famous jockey
23. Vital organs
24. Smashes things up
25. Collection of arms
26. Organ on a small lake
27. Bottom of a ship
28. Not eastern beef
29. Greedy pig
30. Opposite of dull / off
31. 1 of the 3 R's
32. Harbour with a gorge
33. A putrid pig

I know some of these will be challenging - but let's see how well you can do! Good luck!

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

Tom22

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:40 pm    Author: Tom22    Post subject: Re: Football Club Quiz

Did you make these up or find them somewhere?

I love these sort of quizzes...

3rd. Toms Shrews III 1221
Top Scorer this week - dondsters 147 Worst scorer this week - Adium United 33
Bottom - Hammond's Heroes 766
(After Gameweek 22)

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:44 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: Football Club Quiz

I was set this in my course last week...nobody got them all, even I only got 27...some of them really are cryptic.

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

Noel_Blobby

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:39 pm    Author: Noel_Blobby    Post subject: Re: Football Club Quiz

Are these all English teams? I'm OK at this sort of thing but need confirmation.

EDIT: Nevermind, just read it properly :oops:

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:46 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: Football Club Quiz

A lot of them are pretty easy once you read them properly...the record to beat is 27 anyway!

I already have one set of answers, with another four on the way...

alex xxx

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:34 am    Author: alex xxx    Post subject: Re: Football Club Quiz

I am going to send you my answers now I thought this was quite hard for some of them!

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:44 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: Football Club Quiz

I have three sets of answers now...still don't have NB's yet...you have til 8pm tonight!

greeny

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:30 pm    Author: greeny    Post subject: Re: Football Club Quiz

Not gonna submit my answers, cause I only have 5 of them, but I know 4, 7, 26, 27 and 31.

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:54 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: Football Club Quiz

I have NB's now...mark your selected answers when they're on here Greeny, I'm sure you of all people will be honest with your answers! :D

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:01 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: Football Club Quiz

Answers time!

I had four sets of answers in the end...the entries were:

Tom22
Solskjaer
alex xxx
Noel_Blobby

KP and Aaron Brock also had a few bashes at a couple and got theirs right...but anyway here's the all-important answers...

1. Cowboys have them

Spurs of course! Everyone scored here.

2. Professor on rollers

Another word for a roller is a castor...Doncaster Rovers is the answer here, which everyone also got right.

3. Male's meadow

Easy enough to work out...another word for a male is a man, another word for a meadow is a field; Mansfield Town! Everyone got this one too!

4. Dirty Water

Alex would certainly have got this right, and she did...as did everybody else; Blackpool!

5. Males together

Men united? Oops, I mean Manchester United...as you all are with that one!

6. Push weight

Press being another word for push...a ton is a weight...Preston North End...and so we all press on with maximum scores so far...

7. Steel city day

Well Sheffield United doesn't have anything to do with a day, so it must be Sheffield Wednesday...and again full marks all round!

8. Always one hundred

A simple cryptic clue for an ever-ton...or Everton! Everybody got this one too...

9. Famous for their buns

Everyone's heard of Chelsea buns...so well done there!

10. Cash service

NB said Luton Town...and I'm half tempted to give him a point for it! :-D But alas, it's not right...
Tom and Sols both had Halifax Town for this one, but I cannot give anything for that...I said I would last night, but you'll see why I can't later on...as the answer is actually Stirling Albion!

Alex was the only one to get this one right! So far, she's winning...

11. A prison clock

You'd spend time in a cell in prison, and a clock ticks...Celtic! Everybody got that one...

12. Famous football brothers

Jack and Bobby Charlton! Correct answers all round...

13. Lock the door

Bolt on a door? Bolton...and again it's a full house!

14. Fill the harbour

Filling something up...stocking up? Stockport is the answer - all correct answers too!

15. Ask about ill parent

"Is Mother well?" Motherwell was the answer...and everybody got this one too...

16. Brick after cotton factory

Cotton is made in a mill...bricks make walls...Millwall is what everybody got, and they're all right!

17. Car outside Spanish house

A villa is a Spanish residency...so it's got to be Aston Villa - and again a full house!

18. To put underground

A simple one, really - Bury...everyone got that one!

19. Famous president of U.S.A.

Lincoln City of course! Well done everyone...

20. Animal car

NB didn't give an answer for this one but everyone else has given me the right answer...a Ford is a brand...Oxford United fits the bill!

21. Latest fort

A new fort then? Newcastle United sounds a lot better, especially seeing as everybody gave me that answer too!

22. Famous jockey

NB didn't give an answer here either...Alex said Cheltenham which would have been correct I guess, if we was looking for a ground not a jockey...Lester was a famous jockey wasn't he? So the answer is Leicester City...and Sols and Tom got that one right!

23. Vital organs

Hearts is the obvious answer...so obviously everyone got that one right!

24. Smashes things up

That's right mate, wreck 'em! Wrexham sounds better, mind...NB didn't give an answer to this one but well done to everyone else for getting it right!

25. Collection of arms

That'd make an Arsenal, surely? Full house for that one!

26. Organ on a small lake

Alex said Hartlepool, which I guess does fit the bill...but Liverpool is the cryptic answer as the name literally translates to organ-lake (whereas Hart(le)pool doesn't).

27. Bottom of a ship

Why it's a Hull of course! Full house there!

28. Not eastern beef

West Ham is the cryptic answer...and it's another full house!

29. Greedy pig

If you eat loads, you'd be full wouldn't you? NB didn't answer this one, but Fulham is what everybody else said, and that is the correct answer!

30. Opposite of dull / off

Opposite of dull is bright...opposite of off is on...Brighton is what I was looking for there...and everybody got that one!

31. 1 of the 3 R's

The three R's are (w)riting, (a)rithmatic and Reading...everybody got that one!

32. Harbour with a gorge

Sols, Alex and NB all said Portsmouth, but Tom gets the mark for saying Port Vale as another word for a gorge is a vale.

33. A putrid pig

Another word that relates to putrid is old...so the answer must be Oldham Athletic...which everybody got right except NB, who thought it was Swindon. I can see how he got it, but it isn't right...

So the all-important scores are, in order of received answers:

Solskjaer: 31/33
Tom22: 32/33
alex xxx: 30/33
Noel_Blobby: 26/33

So that means Tom is the winner! :smt047 Well done! :smt023

Now why didn't I give anything for Halifax? Because the cryptic clue I had for Halifax was They put the X in savings. I know there was a couple copies of these clues on the net that said Halifax was the answer too, but the above clue was also on my list which referred to Halifax.

Below are some other cryptic clues I didn't put in the quiz because I personally thought they were too obvious...but see if you can get them all right:

Where the Wombles met Tim
Glass Mansion
Hawaiian greeting
Famous haircut in the past
Entrance to the harbour
Far East connections
Keep the fires burning
Larger than a duck pond
Detectives need them
Cow's private land
Found between the wheels

greeny

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:31 pm    Author: greeny    Post subject: Re: Football Club Quiz

Woo, I got all 5 right (because they were pretty obvious IMO). I'm usually pretty rubbish at these kind of things.

Those last few are hard, the only one I got was Barnet for the famous haircut in the past.

[ 11 posts ] 
Deal or No Deal forum index » General Forums » General Discussion » Sports DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]