Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:58 am Last visit was: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:58 am

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » General Forums » General Discussion » Sports DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 7 posts ] 

Should the '6+5' rule come in?
Yes 60%  60%  [ 3 ]
No 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 5

Noel_Blobby

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:50 pm    Author: Noel_Blobby    Post subject: Sports poll of the week 3: Should the '6+5' rule come in?

Warnings: 0
6 English players in every starting squad. But does it work? Personally, I say no because if it is brought in you'll get players picked just because they're English.

Tom22

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:54 pm    Author: Tom22    Post subject:

Hmmmm... I'm really not sure. It would indeed be good to see the majority of the Premier League being English players and it'll help the national side no end, but where are these English players going to come from?! It's just going to drain out the lower leagues as all the players shift up a level and the lower leagues are going to be extremely poor quality.

Also it'll happen in every country so national side gains an advantage as such...

There's also the can of worms about the ethical and moral arguments which the EU are apposing this idea on.

3rd. Toms Shrews III 1221
Top Scorer this week - dondsters 147 Worst scorer this week - Adium United 33
Bottom - Hammond's Heroes 766
(After Gameweek 22)

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:06 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject:

Yes...but purely so we can see more English talent being recognised.

We're seeing some, like Aaron Ramsey etc, but we need a lot more!

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

Joel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:30 pm    Author: Joel    Post subject:

Yes.

Tom

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:18 pm    Author: Tom    Post subject:

Yes. Simply because I don't think it's right for an English club to not field any English players in an English cup/league.

KP

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:08 pm    Author: KP    Post subject:
International Forums Moderator

No. I believe it's impractical and I think these days people care more about their clubs than the national team. There's too much to be gained from the Premier League in particular being a showcase for global talent, and if the English players were good enough they'd get through anyway because it's the only league most of them want to play in... indeed many of them are (like Terry, Gerrard and Rooney) but because they've not played well together as a team...

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

never_wrong

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:09 am    Author: never_wrong    Post subject:

Aaron Ramsey's Welsh, Davey (don't want to be accused of getting on your back again, but surely he'd count as foreign....)

My feeling is that if English players were good enough, they'd be playing anyway. Why should Arsene Wenger or Alex Ferguson be forced into playing a player who isn't as good as a foriegner jus because he is english? Look at grass roots level - the players coming through clearly aren't good enough to make it as is.

[ 7 posts ] 
Deal or No Deal forum index » General Forums » General Discussion » Sports DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]