Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:50 am Last visit was: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:50 am

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » General Forums » General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:28 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: Aspergers Syndrome Awareness Thread

Warnings: 0
Only other thing I'd suggest is looking it up on the net, and ask yourself how much is relevant to you :) Don't be scared by what you read online

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

cookie_monster

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:54 pm    Author: cookie_monster    Post subject: Re: Aspergers Syndrome Awareness Thread

It might also be worth noting that even if you have some of the signs, it doesn't necessarily mean you have Asperger's Syndrome. I know that I have some signs including being obsessed with random things, and I find it quite hard to read people (and there are a few other ones) but I don't actually have Asperger's. Mum took me to the doctor when I was younger and he came to the conclusion of "I'm on the scale" but I don't actually "have" it, so just because you have some symptoms it doesn't mean you have it - The same can be said regarding symptoms of most conditions. :)

Skyline

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:57 pm    Author: Skyline    Post subject: Re: Aspergers Syndrome Awareness Thread
Forum Games Moderator

Who's taken the RDOS test? Post your results!

My AS score is 139/200
My NT score is 79/200.

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:00 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: Aspergers Syndrome Awareness Thread

cookie_monster wrote:
It might also be worth noting that even if you have some of the signs, it doesn't necessarily mean you have Asperger's Syndrome. I know that I have some signs including being obsessed with random things, and I find it quite hard to read people (and there are a few other ones) but I don't actually have Asperger's. Mum took me to the doctor when I was younger and he came to the conclusion of "I'm on the scale" but I don't actually "have" it, so just because you have some symptoms it doesn't mean you have it - The same can be said regarding symptoms of most conditions. :)

This.

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

daniel123

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:33 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: Aspergers Syndrome Awareness Thread
Forum Games Moderator

Aye, I'll drink to that. Mind you, I do abstain to a great extent

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

daniel123

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:55 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: Aspergers Syndrome Awareness Thread
Forum Games Moderator

I took that RDOS test. Didn't do too bad actually.

AS: 94/200
NT: 141/200

No idea what Neurotypical is, though.

Edit: Aah, right. It's written right next to it. See, I've always been the brightest bulb

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

stewartw

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:57 pm    Author: stewartw    Post subject: Re: Aspergers Syndrome Awareness Thread

Your Aspie score: 162 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 38 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

Well that's an eye-opener.

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:51 am    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: Aspergers Syndrome Awareness Thread

Again, signs mean nothing in practice...usually it'll be your parents who notice something's "not quite right", although teachers can notice it as well.

The test is great though, I'm going to take it again later today and post my score :)

daniel123

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:10 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: Aspergers Syndrome Awareness Thread
Forum Games Moderator

That post could backfire Div, if Stewart is in fact older.

But then, so could this post, if it turns out that Stewart is actually young, which I don't know..I'm going to take the test again. Honestly, this time.

By honestly, I mean completely hones - Oh *beep*, that's another mark on the "Aspie" count..

stewartw

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:50 pm    Author: stewartw    Post subject: Re: Aspergers Syndrome Awareness Thread

Hmm.
I had that feeling in waves but that generally came and went with my mood/state of my life at the time, and thought it might just be a general depression. It Would explain a lot though.

I'll retake the test, playing on with absolute honesty, and see what comes up this time.

Oh and I'm 28 if you're curious. Not older but old enough!

Retaken the test:
Your Aspie score: 155 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 48 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

Friar_Duck

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:36 pm    Author: Friar_Duck    Post subject: Re: Aspergers Syndrome Awareness Thread

Hello all.

I haven't actually been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome, but having read a book by Tony Atwood, it really really sounds like me. I've struggled with social issues all my life, making friends has been extremely difficult and I know the pressure that many people feel at school, university, and in the workplace.

Time alone is like gold dust to me!

I was wondering whether to pursue a diagnosis. It seems there are fors and againsts.

Nice to meet some like-minded people on here.

holly

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:02 pm    Author: holly    Post subject: Re: Aspergers Syndrome Awareness Thread

Hello Friar_Duck,

At one point I thought I had it, but it turns out I don't have it. I found out that signs of it don't mean you actually have it. If you really are convinced you do have aspergers, then perhaps you should see if you can get some sort of diagnosis.

Skyline

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:38 pm    Author: Skyline    Post subject: Re: Aspergers Syndrome Awareness Thread
Forum Games Moderator

Friar_Duck wrote:
Hello all.

I haven't actually been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome, but having read a book by Tony Atwood, it really really sounds like me. I've struggled with social issues all my life, making friends has been extremely difficult and I know the pressure that many people feel at school, university, and in the workplace.

Time alone is like gold dust to me!

I was wondering whether to pursue a diagnosis. It seems there are fors and againsts.

Nice to meet some like-minded people on here.

Something tells me you're a fan of classic cartoons... or Robin Hood Daffy! Great cartoon, beautiful designs... ;-)

The only way to be sure is to get a diagnosis though, if you're convinced. I probably should too, but my parents don't really know what it is and I don't really want to tell them... so I've spent most of my life learning social skills. I could probably seen as a non-Aspie, but you can't be sure.

I have a bit of a problem with talking to some people my age; it's perfectly fine in school though, thank God, but in Corsica, some of my friends... they're like completly different people: they like to hang out with people at least 5 years older than them; they drink, they smoke, and they stay up til 4 in the morning! :? I mean, I love going out at night in Corsica until about 1, but then I really need one or two hours alone. In Corsica, I haven't found one person my age that doesn't drink or smoke, except one (my cousin. :( ) Some of them are really nice and I like to hang out, but when they're gone I can only stay with people that are 3 or more years younger than me. They're awesome, and I sometimes find that it's easier to talk to them! I've always been a childish person (golden age cartoons have nothing to do with this! They're works of art.), so maybe that's why... but browsing through WrongPlanet, some people have the same problem (some don't even want to look at people their age!)

hogwild94

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:20 am    Author: hogwild94    Post subject: Re: Aspergers Syndrome Awareness Thread
Global Moderator

Think it's time I revived this thread, seeing as another member on the spectrum has just joined.

At the end of the day, aspergers is going to be hard to handle at times, but that should not stop us from achieving what we want to.

I myself have applied for college, and had to go back for a second interview due to uncertainty over whether they could cater for my needs or not. Obviously, you do need to be kept in check on occasion, but that should not stop us from being independant in other ways. I'm trying to work on my ability to be independant at the moment.

I hope that your local branches of the NAS are as good as mine. Aberdeenshire has loads of facilities and clubs that cater for people like me, and we often get together in aid of this with various lectures and other functions.

Check out SLUDGE for original, non-cover rock music!

Skyline

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:10 pm    Author: Skyline    Post subject: Re: Aspergers Syndrome Awareness Thread
Forum Games Moderator

Good luck with the independance! I had to learn early, since my mum left to go live in Corsica more than six years ago! :)

daniel123

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:37 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: Aspergers Syndrome Awareness Thread
Forum Games Moderator

And good luck from me :)

I saw my psychiatrist only this morning myself. It was for other things, relatively unrelated to Asperger's but I did ask before I left if we could run through another assessment regarding that, considering we'd last looked at Asperger's when I was 10 in 2005.

For a long, long time I was extremely reluctant to consider myself an "Aspie", if you like; I think now though, maybe it's a case of having grown up and being willing to just accept whatever the case is.

I would like to know for definite though - ironically, I would like a "Yes" or "No", black-or-white type of answer (see where I'm getting at there? ;) ) - so that I could go away with a much clearer mind regarding it all. It's a scale though, as we know...but I want to know where I am on that scale now, compared to all that time back....a lot of things to consider and I have a very positive view of it all now.

I will come here regularly again as well, on a different note. Haven't done that for about 3 years. Maybe longer...

Skyline

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:07 pm    Author: Skyline    Post subject: Re: Aspergers Syndrome Awareness Thread
Forum Games Moderator

cookie_monster wrote:

I agree, and I'm most definitely in this category.

daniel123

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:38 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: Aspergers Syndrome Awareness Thread
Forum Games Moderator

I think, by way of reviving this thread...the more I've re established myself as a regular here, over a month or so...the more I notice traits, characteristics in most people here, typical of Asperger's.

Whatever the obsessions may be, or the behaviours, I see some posts and think, 'that screams out Asperger's!'.

Then again, I could be guilty of tarring most of us here with one brush, which was never my intention of course :)

psychokiller

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:52 pm    Author: psychokiller    Post subject: Re: Aspergers Syndrome Awareness Thread

I don't have Asperger's syndrome, but I've known people in the past who have had it and therefore have familiarised myself with the typical personality traits and habits that are associated with it. I've also spent a fair bit of time researching the condition online in order to learn about it more.

I do have some mental health problems which I think I spoke about elsewhere, but these have developed in recent years and it's one taboo subject with me, I despise people who mock these illnesses. They are no laughing matter whatsoever. I've also spent a lot of time looking over medical websites which go into detail on mental illness symptoms and sometimes have support forums for sufferers. One of my dearest friends has mental health problems herself and it had a profound effect on me, I cried about it, so I undertook most of my research in order to understand the effects that my friend suffers as a result of mental illness so, when it's needed, I can be a source of comfort and relation to her.

There's my two cents on the subject. :)

daniel123

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:33 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: Aspergers Syndrome Awareness Thread
Forum Games Moderator

That...is admirable.

Most of my own research - and it has b no means been diverse - was for my own sake. It helps more than anything, to have a friend who is the closest thing to me that I know, in terms of similarity for example.

[ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » General Forums » General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]