Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:25 am Last visit was: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:25 am

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » General Forums » General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 281 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:50 am    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: What are you currently doing?

Warnings: 0
Still trying to deal with my DoND withdrawals by thinking of Lola bunny from Space Jam saying "Don't ever call me *blows ears back* doll!" ;-)

daniel123

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:06 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: What are you currently doing?
Forum Games Moderator

Listening to 'Pomp and Circumstance March Number One' by Sir Edward Elgar. Majestic.

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

Skyline

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:01 pm    Author: Skyline    Post subject: Re: What are you currently doing?
Forum Games Moderator

JamesJMH91 wrote:
Still trying to deal with my DoND withdrawals by thinking of Lola bunny from Space Jam saying "Don't ever call me *blows ears back* doll!" ;-)

Some therapy is needed :smt011

psychokiller

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:25 pm    Author: psychokiller    Post subject: Re: What are you currently doing?

Skyline wrote:
JamesJMH91 wrote:

Some therapy is needed :smt011

I know... I mean, DOND withdrawals?

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:05 am    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: What are you currently doing?

Watching 'Pixels', good movie in my opinin but judging by what I've heard from other people and reviewers, this appears to be the marmite movie of 2015! :lol:

Archstered

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:21 am    Author: Archstered    Post subject: Re: What are you currently doing?

Sat in a travelodge hotel in Essex, listening to my partner snoring.

Zzzzzzz

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:40 am    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: What are you currently doing?

As odd as it sounds, I'm actually thinking of DoND contestant Janelle from 2006

I've been watching Pennie's game on Youtube. This is the first time i've actually seen Janelle (i took special notice of her) and she seemed pretty unknown on the wings - they didn't really give her any camera exposure apart from when she opened her box, she didn't look very happy and when her neighbour Buddy revealed a blue, I noticed Janelle seemed to awkwardly drum on the table like she didn't know what else to do. Also, when Janelle said "All the best" to Pennie when opening her boxes, this would've probably been one of the very few times Janelle spoke at all on the wings :?

mr_northern_guy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:14 pm    Author: mr_northern_guy    Post subject: Re: What are you currently doing?

mr_northern_guy wrote:
Sitting on here, trying to revise for a maths test but celebrating my sweet 16th at the same time.

Currently wondering how the heck this post was almost four years ago! That post was - evidently - made on my 16th birthday, and I turn 20 next week! How times have changed.

thundercat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:41 pm    Author: thundercat    Post subject: Re: What are you currently doing?

Currently browsing the forum, reminiscing that yet again, another year has passed since I have last visited.

Yet still I find myself in a bittersweet situation that unfortunately deal or no deal and this forum that accompanies it is not as it was 10 years ago, but it is still here for me to browse and indulge in the brilliance/shambles that was 2006/2007.

psychokiller

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:58 pm    Author: psychokiller    Post subject: Re: What are you currently doing?

thundercat wrote:
Currently browsing the forum, reminiscing that yet again, another year has passed since I have last visited.

Yet still I find myself in a bittersweet situation that unfortunately deal or no deal and this forum that accompanies it is not as it was 10 years ago, but it is still here for me to browse and indulge in the brilliance/shambles that was 2006/2007.

I still have to remind myself that you're not actually a tw@t anymore. When you get lost down the rabbit hole of 2006 archive, it's easy to forget that it's ancient history now and we've all moved on by the factor of a decade+.

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:39 am    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: What are you currently doing?

It still feels funny that DoND isn't on anymore, even though it has been over 6 months since the final episode aired.

The forum's activity over the years has really been a reflection of DoND's rise and fall - about this time a decade ago the forum was really buzzing and would still be fairly active during the show's summer break ,but by 2015, it became evident the show's end was near and you really see the decline in people's interest for the show on here as it got down to only about 6 or 7 of us posting regularly - No more contestant fan clubs, and the daily commentaries were getting shorter and shorter and become very robotic and uninteresting to read with pretty much just the same couple of people leaving the same "Bad answer for box 23" "He/she shouldn't have too many regrets" comments afterwards (So much so that there were some games during the show's final run in late 2016 that only have one-page threads!)

All good things must come to an end

thundercat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:44 am    Author: thundercat    Post subject: Re: What are you currently doing?

psychokiller wrote:
thundercat wrote:

I still have to remind myself that you're not actually a tw@t anymore. When you get lost down the rabbit hole of 2006 archive, it's easy to forget that it's ancient history now and we've all moved on by the factor of a decade+.

Incredible :D :lol:

I would tend to agree with that because I don't even think I realised how much of a tw@t I was. But at the same time, while I don't think my 'show related views' have changed much, I now am able to back most of it up with maths.

But that said a) we no longer have a show to analyse and b) I don't have the time to even turn the telle on these days :shock: :oops:

11 years is a very long time and people have either grown up, moved on or both. I still like to browse the forum and put my occasional peice on here because for me this forum has a lot of memories and while it still exsists I think it's important to cherish the sentiment.

We have to remember how peoples lives differ in those 11 years. Other people will have different situations but for me in 2006 I was 15 and really had nothing better to do with my life after school. Now im 26, married, have a house and work 50 hours a week fixing trucks :oops:

I think it's important to remember just how such a simple forum can have such major sentiment in peoples lives, and also to bring out the best/worst in certain people. I remember well the dynamic of the conversations and arguments that took place here - so many different characters. I think for a forum to be able to implement such a social aspect to it is incredible and is a massive credit to the administrators. For what it is no longer, we must remember what the forum was and while looking back can be embarrasing it's quite good therapy for the mind. I would recommend it.

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:58 am    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: What are you currently doing?

Wondering who the forum's favourite voice actor of the Joker is. Is it everyone's favourite Star Wars hero actor turned cartoon and video game villain actor? ;) :smt023

daniel123

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:01 am    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: What are you currently doing?
Forum Games Moderator

I would have to agree with Wakey on just about every point here. In my own case, I'm 22, have lived in my flat for a year and a half, and haven't watched the television since something like 2013. I recall a time when 2013 seemed an absolute age away, because it was; in 2006, seven years constituted more than half of my life to that date.

I had my phases, too - a mad period between 2006 and 2007 when I really hadn't a clue what was going on or what a forum really was, when a bizarre role-play featuring the 'forum minxes' played out and somehow managed to incorporate me, when the debate raged long into the nights over which style of play was better - should one be cautious or brave, pragmatic or irrational, should he give the game serious thought or treat it entirely as a matter of luck and hope for the best? If we're to be completely honest, that particular issue never reached a definitive resolution, because there could never be one; it was for each person to make up their own mind and apply their own approach in their own way, and this, I feel, is part of what made the show itself such a roaring early success.

Still, we had characters all around, and the great thriving, living hotel depicted in my 'sig' was in its prime.
2008 saw for me a quiet period, punctuated by a weird and inexcusably lazy attempt at running my own 'series', loosely based on Aaron's work and often without any dialogue whatsoever. In 2009 the fourteen-year-old prodigious writer and photographer took his literary experimentation to the General Discussion section in the form of obituaries of famous figures and political opinion pieces (read:sweeping generalisations).
After that, I disappeared for three years, returning in 2012 to establish myself as a member of considerably better repute than the daniel123 of old. I achieved my past dream of becoming a mod - for which 11-year-old me would often beg the mods of that era via private message - in 2013.

Then what? Then follows the slow and steady, gentle downward slope for the forum that, inevitably, appears next in this reply.
It has been a few years I might liken to having a prolonged period of drinking - recollection is fuzzy, memories are faded even if recent, and days merge with one another, and weeks with months, and so on. The party is over, and it's long since been over, but all that was there before remains as it was. It's only really we who have changed, but as time went on, and time has this odd way with us, we never really stopped to witness it happening, we weren't all that aware of it. It just happened, and now I'm a man in his twenties, twice as old as the boy who joined this forum and chose the same username.

This is why I, a while back, vehemently supported keeping the forum as it is once the show had finished. It really is therapy for the mind, and in a way, I feel, when I glance back, much the same as I do when I open an ancient, worn old book and pause for a moment at some page or another - or when I walk through the ruins of an abbey near my home town and stop to acknowledge a well-written bit of graffiti by Robert Clark who visited in 1887. There is something that screams out to me from the screen, something I cannot possibly ignore, something as true as the night is dark: we were here.

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

thundercat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:45 pm    Author: thundercat    Post subject: Re: What are you currently doing?

Good stuff dan, a very insightful and thought provoking post :smt023

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:38 am    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: What are you currently doing?

I've actually just been thinking about this forum's activity in 2013 believe it or not. 2013 was the year i was going through my nostalgia phase (which reflected in some of my colourful posts on here at the time doll! ;-) ), and late 2012 to mid 2013 was my 'Pokemon revival era', where i suddenly slipped back into my 1999-2001 Pokemon craze and bought the first TWELVE seasons of Pokemon on DVD!

Since then, the novelty has kind of worn off again and i'm kind of over the whole 90s nostalgia thing now anyway - Now i just watch 90s/Early 2000s cartoons like Batman the animated series, Justice League Unlimited, Kim Possible etc. for the entertainment rather than nostalgia goggles

Also, remember this colourful character who was in his heyday on here around 5 years ago? viewtopic.php?f=11&t=24682 Good times! :lol: :smt023

daniel123

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:58 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: What are you currently doing?
Forum Games Moderator

Ha, Brony! He was...something else... :eyes: :lol:

I still struggle to really 'get' the concept of Bronies - and thanks wakey by the way, I appreciate it, hand on heart - but yeah, this idea that there are, worldwide, a smorgasbord of middle-aged (or older) men who really like My Little Pony, like obsessional...it's a bit frightening! It's just the subject matter, the intended audience, that kind of thing that irks me a bit, I suppose. But there was no denying our own Brony was colourful, that's for sure :P

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:57 am    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: What are you currently doing?

Has the 'Bronies' hype died out now? Yeah it has it's place in the world, but now i just see it as something that belongs in the early 2010s with Dubstep, Gangnam Style, Planking, comparing every fictional villain to Loki in the MCU, stupid slangs like 'Swag' and 'YOLO' and the Harlem Shake :smt023

Man i feel old now thinking about these things. I still feel like we're in the early-mid 2010s, yet we're almost at the end of the decade! :shock:

Last edited by JamesJMH91 on Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

daniel123

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:09 am    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: What are you currently doing?
Forum Games Moderator

Op-pa GANGNAM STYLE!

Not even two years now until we're back in the roaring twenties. :shock:

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:26 am    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: What are you currently doing?

I've been looking back at some old commentaries on here, especially games from early 2007. They were actually interesting to read and had some interesting discussions, a sharp contrast to the last 12 months of the show were the commentaries simply went through the motions and nothing more (no one was really saying anything on the 2015/2016 game threads besides literally ONE person making the same robotic "Hopefully they won't have too many regrets" comments over and over and that was it - even the very early threads from the show and forum's feet-finding days of January/February 2006 were more interesting to read!)

Really shows how much the show's interest rose and fell during the show's run. Of course things started to get quieter after a certain few were banned in September 2008

[ 281 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » General Forums » General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]