Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 1:24 am Last visit was: Wed May 22, 2024 1:24 am

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close on 21 June 2024 (extended deadline). More info here.

Deal or No Deal will return for a new series later in 2024.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » General Forums » General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 634 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 32  Next

Tom22

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:59 pm    Author: Tom22    Post subject: Re: The News, Politics and Current Affairs Thread

Warnings: 0
h2005 wrote:
Brand and Ross have been suspended until the Director General of the BBC gets back from holiday and can properly look into it... serves them right. Don't know if this affects Ross' TV show or not... but presumably he won't be doing his Radio 2 show on Saturday.

FNWJR has been cancelled and both radio shows have been... the fact the Director General is on holiday is quite funny though, the biggest thing to hit the BBC in a good while and he isnt even there.

3rd. Toms Shrews III 1221
Top Scorer this week - dondsters 147 Worst scorer this week - Adium United 33
Bottom - Hammond's Heroes 766
(After Gameweek 22)

h2005

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:08 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: The News, Politics and Current Affairs Thread
Administrator & Global Moderator

Haha, Friday Night Without Jonathan Ross then. :P I think they should show the test card in place of it... or a repeat of Fawlty Towers followed by Airport (which Andrew Sachs apparently narrated). ;)

Jimmy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:01 pm    Author: Jimmy    Post subject: Re: The News, Politics and Current Affairs Thread
Global Moderator

Brand has gone... it's a shame Ross hasn't done the same.

cookie_monster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:07 pm    Author: cookie_monster    Post subject: Re: The News, Politics and Current Affairs Thread

Am I the only one that didn't think it was that bad? It was blown out of proportion. Yes I'm not big Jonathon Woss fan or Russell Brand fan and yes, they did take it a bit too far but they apologised. MPs and the PM etc don't really need to get involved and although it was wrong, the grandfather should've taken it with a pinch of salt and maybe he should have realised what Ross and Brand are like.

Tom22

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:10 pm    Author: Tom22    Post subject: Re: The News, Politics and Current Affairs Thread

cookie_monster wrote:
Am I the only one that didn't think it was that bad? It was blown out of proportion. Yes I'm not big Jonathon Woss fan or Russell Brand fan and yes, they did take it a bit too far but they apologised. MPs and the PM etc don't really need to get involved and although it was wrong, the grandfather should've taken it with a pinch of salt and maybe he should have realised what Ross and Brand are like.

I think it's the example it sets to kids and well everyone else thats the problem... your might end up getting them harassing OAPs and the like. Just not good for society in that sense :ponder:

(After Gameweek 22)

h2005

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:12 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: The News, Politics and Current Affairs Thread

The fact is though, that it was that bad. If any worker phoned up an old man and said "I *beep* your daughter" then they'd likely be immediately sacked.

Russell Brand's apology wasn't an apology, as he laughed, said it was actually "quite funny" and he finished it by having a dig at the Daily Mail over something they printed 70 years ago.

I don't see why Brand and Ross should get away with it, and it's good that they haven't. They've already said they have a young audience - what sort of example is it setting if the BBC took no action and they got away with it?! There have been enough problems with "happy slapping" and other phone-related incidents amongst youngsters - having two BBC "stars" doing similar things would only make matters worse.

cookie_monster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:33 pm    Author: cookie_monster    Post subject: Re: The News, Politics and Current Affairs Thread

Tom22 wrote:
cookie_monster wrote:

I think it's the example it sets to kids and well everyone else thats the problem... your might end up getting them harassing OAPs and the like. Just not good for society in that sense :ponder:

Yes I agree, it was an incredibly foolish move by Russell and Jonathon but I don't see why the Prime Minister needs to get involved. Also, the OAP's granddaughter was saying on the news it had ruined her life etc yet she plays in a band called SadisticSluts or something like that, and to top it all off, it turns out Russell Brand and the granddaughter had slept together anyway, so at least he wasn't lying. And as for setting an example, not many young kids listen to Radio 2, and most 'dangerous' kids would mug/stab an OAP [or any person for that matter :? ], rather than prank call them.

Craig

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:38 pm    Author: Craig    Post subject: Re: The News, Politics and Current Affairs Thread

I completely agree with Cookie_monster, it has been blown way out of proportion!!

What makes me mad is that i started watching FNWJR just the other week and i really liked it! Typical!!

All they have to do (and i think have done) is apoligise and thats it, over!

Tom22

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:42 pm    Author: Tom22    Post subject: Re: The News, Politics and Current Affairs Thread

Craig wrote:
I completely agree with Cookie_monster, it has been blown way out of proportion!!

What makes me mad is that i started watching FNWJR just the other week and i really liked it! Typical!!

Yeah FNWJR is a brilliant show but it would have definetly been wrong to do a show for Friday after all of this... you'd end up with a repeat of the Angus Deayton episode of HIGNFY when he was in the papers all the time (all be it that was possibly one of the funniest episodes ever).

(After Gameweek 22)

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:44 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: The News, Politics and Current Affairs Thread

This whole thing has been blown WAY out of proportion - as severe as the comments were, there was a guy on Breakfast this morning who summed it all up brilliantly; it was after watershed, aimed at slightly older people naturally so as not to intentionally upset the listeners, and ultimately too much said without thinking. It was only 10,000 complaints as of this morning, now suddenly over 25,000??? Get off the bloody bandwagon before it breaks!!!

I'm not sure if it's his overwhelming rudeness, or just the fact he knows he's an idiot, but I'm a huge fan of Russell Brand; at least his Ponderland show is still going to be on the telly!!! :P

As for Wossy, now that Brand has resigned, it would be nothing short of a full-blown crisis for the BBC if he also quit. I hope, one way or another, he stays!

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

Tom22

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:46 pm    Author: Tom22    Post subject: Re: The News, Politics and Current Affairs Thread

Is there a watershed for the radio?!

(After Gameweek 22)

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:48 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: The News, Politics and Current Affairs Thread

After 9pm they get away with certain swear words like sh*t apparently...don't quote me though! :P

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

cookie_monster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:49 pm    Author: cookie_monster    Post subject: Re: The News, Politics and Current Affairs Thread

When did this actually happen? Did I imagine someone saying that this was said in September?

Lewis246

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:51 pm    Author: Lewis246    Post subject: Re: The News, Politics and Current Affairs Thread

Craig wrote:

If someone left messages like that on my answering machine, I'd have forwarded it to the police. It's harassment. Would you like people taking the piss out of you and saying they'd had sex with your granddaughter on national radio?

Tom - there's probably one for swearing...

h2005

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:51 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: The News, Politics and Current Affairs Thread

Tom22 wrote:
the Angus Deayton episode of HIGNFY when he was in the papers all the time (all be it that was possibly one of the funniest episodes ever).

Talking of which...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7L8ij02Df ... re=related

Lewis246 wrote:
Craig wrote:

If someone left messages like that on my answering machine, I'd have forwarded it to the police. It's harassment. Would you like people taking the *beep* out of you and saying they'd had sex with your granddaughter on national radio?

Tom - there's probably one for swearing...

Exactly, Lewis...

Tom22

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:57 pm    Author: Tom22    Post subject: Re: The News, Politics and Current Affairs Thread

cookie_monster wrote:
When did this actually happen? Did I imagine someone saying that this was said in September?

Last Saturday.

That HIGNFY is truely great TV well worth a watch.

(After Gameweek 22)

cookie_monster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:59 pm    Author: cookie_monster    Post subject: Re: The News, Politics and Current Affairs Thread

Lewis246 wrote:
If someone left messages like that on my answering machine, I'd have forwarded it to the police. It's harassment. Would you like people taking the *beep* out of you and saying they'd had sex with your granddaughter on national radio?

Of course not. Nobody would want to here that, but I'd have just deleted it because I wouldn't want the press following me around for ages, but this is me speaking and obviously, as we have seen on this forum and in the nation that opinions are split.

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:03 am    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: The News, Politics and Current Affairs Thread

cookie_monster wrote:
Lewis246 wrote:

Of course not. Nobody would want to here that, but I'd have just deleted it because I wouldn't want the press following me around for ages, but this is me speaking and obviously, as we have seen on this forum and in the nation that opinions are split.

Thank god it's not over a Richard-esque incident on a Deal show! :P We wouldn't want to get banned now would we?! :lol:

It all boils down to how much endurance you have really - if easily offended, then fine go to the police - but if you're not wanting to make a full-blown semi-war of words over it, then as Cookie says, delete it and at the very most publicly ask for an apology and then you can just shake hands and deal with it.

One other thing too; Russell Brand's "apology" cancelled out Georgina's interview in my opinion - the way she said she expected "whatever that went off between me and Russell to remain private"...PLEASE!!! In the modern world NOTHING remains quietly unnoticed! :P

Craig

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:06 am    Author: Craig    Post subject: Re: The News, Politics and Current Affairs Thread

Well i say, theyve done it, you cant change that now. Theyve apoligised that should be it. Over with. There are more important things going on in the world then 2 boys making prank phonecalls.

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:08 am    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: The News, Politics and Current Affairs Thread

Craig wrote:
Well i say, theyve done it, you cant change that now. Theyve apoligised that should be it. Over with. There are more important things going on in the world then 2 boys making prank phonecalls.

Paul O'Grady praised them today...for getting everybody's minds off the whole credit crunch woes and Middle East warfare! :P

[ 634 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 32  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » General Forums » General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]