Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:20 am Last visit was: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:20 am

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » General Forums » TV - Films - MusicAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 18 posts ] 

Apart from DOND what is your favourite UK TV gameshow?
Pointless 17%  17%  [ 8 ]
The Chase 23%  23%  [ 11 ]
Tipping Point 8%  8%  [ 4 ]
Who Wants To Be A Millionaire 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
Eggheads 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
The Million Pound Drop 8%  8%  [ 4 ]
Countdown 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
Red or Black 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
University Challenge 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
Five Minutes To A Fortune 8%  8%  [ 4 ]
Perfection 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
The Cube 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
Family Fortunes 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
Mr and Mrs 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other (please specify) 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 47

rico7

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:24 pm    Author: rico7    Post subject: Apart from DOND what is your favourite UK TV gameshow?

Warnings: 0
Take the poll! What is your favourite UK TV gameshow apart from Deal Or No Deal?

Last edited by rico7 on Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:42 pm, edited 5 times in total.

hogwild94

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:34 pm    Author: hogwild94    Post subject: Re: Apart from DOND what is your favourite UK TV gameshow?
Global Moderator

Think I'll have to say University Challenge, followed by Pointless.

Check out SLUDGE for original, non-cover rock music!

American Coupon Boy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:01 pm    Author: American Coupon Boy    Post subject: Re: Apart from DOND what is your favourite UK TV gameshow?

Definitely The Chase. It can give out mega-money just like Deal or No Deal but you have to earn it through bravery and more importantly knowledge. I am very much looking forward to it coming to the USA on GSN (game show network, America's equivalent of Challenge).

The next series begins immediately after the premiere of the Deal or No Deal revival.

Joel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:21 pm    Author: Joel    Post subject: Re: Apart from DOND what is your favourite UK TV gameshow?

The Chase.

Skyline

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:04 pm    Author: Skyline    Post subject: Re: Apart from DOND what is your favourite UK TV gameshow?
Forum Games Moderator

I actually would rather watch The Chase, The Million Pound Drop, or Pointless instead of Deal or No Deal.

Simon F

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:25 am    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: Apart from DOND what is your favourite UK TV gameshow?

Where's Only Connect on the list?

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:09 am    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: Apart from DOND what is your favourite UK TV gameshow?

Family Fortunes was good before they revamped it to a 'celebrity contestants only' format

And they should bring back Wheel of fortune in the UK too. I enjoyed watched the old episodes on the 'Tube with John Leslie

American Coupon Boy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:07 pm    Author: American Coupon Boy    Post subject: Re: Apart from DOND what is your favourite UK TV gameshow?

JamesJMH91 wrote:
Family Fortunes was good before they revamped it to a 'celebrity contestants only' format

And they should bring back Wheel of fortune in the UK too. I enjoyed watched the old episodes on the 'Tube with John Leslie

And if they do bring it back, there should actual pound sterling amounts on the Wheel like all the other international versions have.

The next series begins immediately after the premiere of the Deal or No Deal revival.

stewartw

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:44 am    Author: stewartw    Post subject: Re: Apart from DOND what is your favourite UK TV gameshow?

Countdown. Ditch Nick and put it back to 4:15 please ;)

hogwild94

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:38 am    Author: hogwild94    Post subject: Re: Apart from DOND what is your favourite UK TV gameshow?
Global Moderator

stewartw wrote:

That's actually not a bad idea, switching Countdown and DoND around. It wouldn't improve the ratings much, but it would certainly be worth a try.

stewartw

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:08 pm    Author: stewartw    Post subject: Re: Apart from DOND what is your favourite UK TV gameshow?

hogwild94 wrote:
stewartw wrote:

That's actually not a bad idea, switching Countdown and DoND around. It wouldn't improve the ratings much, but it would certainly be worth a try.

I reckon they should just alternate in the same slot like 15-to-1 and Countdown used to do back in the early 90's. They could try out new game shows or whatever in the earlier slots, or resort to US comedy imports that they love as they seem to do OK.

I seriously think Nick Hewer is a pretty large explanation as to why Countdown has dropped from 1m to as low as 150,000 since he took over. I mean yeah the BBC revamp and the switching to 2:40 didn't help, but seriously, he is just appalling. Doesn't have a clue. He is rude to the contestants and Susie, plays favourites and talks over everybody. And does he think that tired 'you be sure of it' and calling the trophy 'kryptonite' is funny after 500 times? Sooner he goes, the better.

I love Countdown but can't stand it with him. No-one I know who used to watch regularly, watches much (if at all) anymore since Jeff Stelling went. If NH stays I can't see it getting any better, nor being recommissioned. :( Or are C4 trying to kill it off?

stewartw

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:12 pm    Author: stewartw    Post subject: Re: Apart from DOND what is your favourite UK TV gameshow?

JamesJMH91 wrote:

Agree on Family Fortunes. So much more fun with members of the public. Not a huge fan but I'm really surprised they haven't brought Wheel of Fortune back actually. Throw a bit of cash at it and it could be a nice Saturday night show to tuck in between X-Factor or something.

hogwild94

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:23 pm    Author: hogwild94    Post subject: Re: Apart from DOND what is your favourite UK TV gameshow?
Global Moderator

stewartw wrote:
JamesJMH91 wrote:

Agree on Family Fortunes. So much more fun with members of the public. Not a huge fan but I'm really surprised they haven't brought Wheel of Fortune back actually. Throw a bit of cash at it and it could be a nice Saturday night show to tuck in between X-Factor or something.

Even if they bring back the civilian Family Fortunes (or WWTBAM), I just can't see it being as good as the pre-'00s stuff. Have been watching some old clips on YT (the funny answers, mainly! :lol: ).

stewartw

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:33 pm    Author: stewartw    Post subject: Re: Apart from DOND what is your favourite UK TV gameshow?

hogwild94 wrote:
stewartw wrote:
JamesJMH91 wrote:

Even if they bring back the civilian Family Fortunes (or WWTBAM), I just can't see it being as good as the pre-'00s stuff. Have been watching some old clips on YT (the funny answers, mainly! :lol: ).

Probably :/ though if they kept it to 30 minutes I think they'd still be OK filler and could be entertaining. It's a show where it's kind of okay to have the 'personalities' who might grate on other game shows (like DOND) as the format is more restricted.

Saying that though, I was really impressed with their revival of Catchphrase so they might surprise me.

Millionaire went terribly with the civilian episodes recently, they have really killed that. :(

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:16 am    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: Apart from DOND what is your favourite UK TV gameshow?

Oh, and the chase is good too.

It's funnier because of Bradley Walsh losing the plot at practically every bend of the PC-ness ;-)

I now know how to pronounce Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch too, i've been practicing! :smt023

KP

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:56 am    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: Apart from DOND what is your favourite UK TV gameshow?
International Forums Moderator

Pointless, and I'll always have a soft spot for The Cube as well.

I also highly respect Only Connect, but have little inclination to watch it. It does tend to make me feel stupid ;)

I'd like to see Wheel coming back in a package with Jeopardy! (the two are very much a pair in the US). The latter has been done in the UK, but in the prize cap era, which led to desperately low-stakes games that pretty much ruined the whole point of it. A modern version with £100-500/£200-£1,000 values would not be inconsistent with other UK daytime shows nowadays, probably giving away about £10k per episode (and perhaps less if the questions are suitably tough and/or there's relatively defensive wagering, both of which I'd expect to see).

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Davao

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:47 pm    Author: Davao    Post subject: Re: Apart from DOND what is your favourite UK TV gameshow?

The Crystal Maze best show ever. Chase is amazing. I like Tipping Point

matthew17

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:24 pm    Author: matthew17    Post subject: Re: Apart from DOND what is your favourite UK TV gameshow?

I voted for:

Who Wants To Be A Millionaire - the ultimate quiz show for me, good host, good variety of contestants, a lot of different trivial questions, lots of drama and tension... shame it's finished now, but all good things have to come to an end...
The Chase - fun, light-hearted teatime show which has some pretty exciting moments sometimes. And the host is epic :)
5 Minutes To A Fortune - I really liked this actually, was quite a clever idea for a show. Good to play along with at home as well for people of any age
Other - not sure why I put that really, can't think of another gameshow I really like :lol: probably PokerFace maybe, from a few years ago... that was a pretty awesome show

[ 18 posts ] 
Deal or No Deal forum index » General Forums » TV - Films - MusicAll times are UTC [ DST ]