Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 9:40 pm Last visit was: Fri May 03, 2024 9:40 pm

Contestant applications for Deal or No Deal close soon on 3 May 2024. More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » General Forums » TV - Films - MusicAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 356 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:19 am    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: Doctor Who

Warnings: 0
I loved it! I even had a few Facebook friends updating their status to mention just how scary they found them! :P

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

greeny

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:34 am    Author: greeny    Post subject: Re: Doctor Who

I've loved both episodes with the Weeping Angels in - I actually find them quite scary as they only move when you can't see them, and the fact they can't speak I find makes them even creepier.

BoxClever

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:45 am    Author: BoxClever    Post subject: Re: Doctor Who

‘The Time of Angels’ was a great episode. It was a typical Steven Moffat script, really: we had River Song (Steven’s creation); the Weeping Angels (Steven’s creations); some wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff (Steven’s favourite) with River Song hatching an escape plan that relied on the Doctor’s quick intervention but took 12,000 years for her “distress signal” to reach him; a team of explorers creeping around in the dark and getting picked off one by one (like in Steven’s ‘Silence in the Library’ and plenty of classic Doctor Who stories); proper scares to send the kids behind the sofa; plus some allusions to the Doctor’s sexuality and sense of masculine pride (“Oh, it’s how you keep score”).

I thought Alex Kingston was camping it up a bit as River Song – “Like I said on the dancefloor, you might want to find something to hang onto!” :lol: – but that’s not necessarily a bad thing.

Tom

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:18 am    Author: Tom    Post subject: Re: Doctor Who

Really loved that episode. The Weeping Angels are a favourite of mine and it's great to see them back (in a two-parter as well). The idea behind them is really quite simple but it is SO effective.

BoxClever

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 11:43 am    Author: BoxClever    Post subject: Re: Doctor Who

‘Flesh and Stone’ was a very good episode. The minimal amount of locations (basically just the forest and a couple of other rooms on the Byzantium ship) and the minimal cast (basically just the Doctor, Amy, River, Father Octavian, a couple of clerics and some largely-non-speaking Weeping Angels) gave it a claustrophobic feel, but that worked to its advantage.

It was an excellent conclusion to ‘The Time of Angels’ and, more than that, it provided an intriguing set-up for the next two scripts written by Steven Moffat for this series (still some way off yet) – the two-part season finale, the titles for which are rumoured to be…

‘The Pandorica Opens’ and ‘The Big Bang’

…both of which are phrases that were used in this episode. Provided that the episodes in this series are transmitted over 13 consecutive weeks with no gaps (although some years Doctor Who takes a week off for the Eurovision Song Contest), the season finale will be broadcast on the 26th June 2010… which is the date of Amy’s wedding and the date that a big bang will create the crack in time, as the Doctor discovered in this episode.

I’ve also got to mention the scene where Amy came onto the Doctor in her bedroom – just brilliant!

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 4:04 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: Doctor Who

It was hilariously brilliant, yes! Especially the script used!

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

Kaledmutant

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 7:32 pm    Author: Kaledmutant    Post subject: Re: Doctor Who

Great for the resident perve!! I am enjoying the series so far but sexy though Karen Gillan is she hasn't got the same appeal for me as Nicola Bryant had as Peri.

What are your opinions on the new Dalek design? Have to say they are a bit clumsy looking compared to the original design and the slightly larger ones used in Revelation and Rememberance and the RTD seasons.

BoxClever

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 11:47 am    Author: BoxClever    Post subject: Re: Doctor Who

Kaledmutant wrote:
What are your opinions on the new Dalek design? Have to say they are a bit clumsy looking compared to the original design and the slightly larger ones used in Revelation and Rememberance and the RTD seasons.

Yeah, I’m not yet convinced by the new design. They seem a bit too tall and thin and colourful (like Karen Gillan)… I prefer my Daleks shorter and sturdier and darker, with more prominent round lumps on their outer casing (like Nicola Bryant!).

By the way, I can see why a kaledmutant would be worried about the design of the Daleks – you want something nice-looking to travel around in. :P

Kaledmutant

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 7:25 pm    Author: Kaledmutant    Post subject: Re: Doctor Who

Well spotted, BoxClever. I will always prefer the Mark 3 Travel Machine designed by Davros during the Skarosian war with the Thals.

Also nice to see we are in accord over the companions. As a long time fan of Nicola I have been buying the, often very good, Big Finish audio adventures and Nicola continues to amaze me in looking as good as, and better than, she did during her stint on TV as Peri. An awesomely lovely girl and sadly not often seen actress. Mind you, after the incident where a gantry above a stage fell on her some years back I consider myself very lucky that she is still so keen to be an actress and to play Peri in so many audios. Plucky and stunning, indeed.

Tom

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:13 am    Author: Tom    Post subject: Re: Doctor Who

That episode was brilliant! Great conclusion to the Weeping Angels storyline plus I'm really liking the "crack in time" story arc that got mentioned a lot more this time.

I have to say that I'm really enjoying this series so far. It's awesome. Did not expect to like Matt Smith this much!

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 2:56 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: Doctor Who

Me neither; it's the series I've got into the easiest too!

"The Banker"

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 4:09 pm    Author: "The Banker"    Post subject: Re: Doctor Who

Well I'm really enjoying this series so far!

After David Tennant I didn't think that whoever would come after would be able to deliver the goods - I know I know! I shouldn't prejudge like that but it was HUGE boots to fill! However, pretty much from the first scene I instantly warmed to and believed Matt Smith as the Doctor. In the first episode I thought alot of the dialogue was written for David Tennant, like some of the things he was saying you could hear David Tennant saying, if that makes sense. But since then he's really made it his own and moulded quite well into the character. Plus he's cute.

Karen Gillan plays the Doctor's companion very well too!

I absoultely loved the Weeping Angels storyline two-parter! I was fascinated by them the first time around so I was pleased when I saw a two-parter dedicated to them. I don't know what it is about the Weepng Angels but they are so mysterious and intriguing. I agree with Tom, simple idea, but so effective! - and memorable! I think they are one of my favourite villains too!

Can't wait till tonight's episode! :D

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 11:11 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: Doctor Who

Another good one tonight, not as full-on as we've expected for a few weeks now, but it opened up the window needed to bring Amy's fiance into the picture...still, the whole silence thing is getting pretty big now, and next week's looks brilliant, with the dream world...

Tom

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 1:13 pm    Author: Tom    Post subject: Re: Doctor Who

When I read little bits about tomorrows episode, I wasn't ultimately thrilled by it...but after seeing that trailer...it looks AMAZING! Really think I'm going to enjoy it.

BoxClever

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:37 am    Author: BoxClever    Post subject: Re: Doctor Who

‘Amy’s Choice’ was a wonderfully offbeat, fun episode. Rory had some great stuff to do, cementing his place in the TARDIS team. The Dream Lord made for a sinister villain… with the frightening twist that he was the embodiment of the Doctor’s own dark thoughts. And there was real drama when Amy decided that she'd rather die than live without Rory.

Now for the story I’ve been most looking forward to this series: the Silurian two-parter!

cookie_monster

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 10:02 pm    Author: cookie_monster    Post subject: Re: Doctor Who

I loved 'Amy's Choice' and I think it has to be my favourite episode yet (from this series.)

Kaledmutant

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 4:34 pm    Author: Kaledmutant    Post subject: Re: Doctor Who

Did find the whole episode very good indeed and the Dream Lord was a great villain. Also looking forward to the two part Silurian story.

So far Steven Moffatt hasn't let us down, nor have the new TARDIS crew. A season with much potential to still thrill us and much more to look forward to.

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 7:58 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: Doctor Who

What a conclusion to the two-parter!!! I really started to warm to Rory too :(

Kaledmutant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:25 pm    Author: Kaledmutant    Post subject: Re: Doctor Who

Don't worry Big-Davey, it isn't the end, possibly! :unsure

BoxClever

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:53 am    Author: BoxClever    Post subject: Re: Doctor Who

After the complex, multi-layered Silurian two-parter, this week’s Doctor Who was more of a small-scale, intimate episode, focusing simply on the Doctor, Amy, Vincent Van Gogh and two invisible monsters: one an alien from outer space; the other (much deadlier monster) being Van Gogh’s depression.

The mental health element of the story was beautifully handled by the episode’s writer Richard Curtis (yes, THE Richard Curtis, who wrote Four Weddings and a Funeral, Blackadder, Mr Bean, Bridget Jones’s Diary, Notting Hill, The Vicar of Dibley, Love Actually, etc).

[ 356 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » General Forums » TV - Films - MusicAll times are UTC [ DST ]