Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:31 am Last visit was: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:31 am

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

KP

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:21 pm    Author: KP    Post subject:
International Forums Moderator

Warnings: 0
They're still very good indeed and the show's in no danger, indeed they've recovered in the last few weeks - but these episodes were filmed when the ratings were falling fast and the supposedly past-it Weakest Link was occasionally beating it (albeit in a better time slot), and Endemol might have felt the need to throw in changes to the show. This was a change to the show, and one they could conceivably have thought up months ago given its use elsewhere in the world.

I agree, however, that the show's audience share means its immediate future is secure. But will it get even close to its previous heights when overall audiences go up again in winter 2007-8? It may well not. And with phone-in competitions in general under a cloud, the show's big prize budget may have to be funded entirely from advertising, and if ratings fall from there the show's future can then be questioned.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

croftrock

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:52 pm    Author: croftrock    Post subject:

Warnings: 0
KP wrote:
They're still very good indeed and the show's in no danger, indeed they've recovered in the last few weeks - but these episodes were filmed when the ratings were falling fast and the supposedly past-it Weakest Link was occasionally beating it (albeit in a better time slot), and Endemol might have felt the need to throw in changes to the show. This was a change to the show, and one they could conceivably have thought up months ago given its use elsewhere in the world.

I agree, however, that the show's audience share means its immediate future is secure. But will it get even close to its previous heights when overall audiences go up again in winter 2007-8? It may well not. And with phone-in competitions in general under a cloud, the show's big prize budget may have to be funded entirely from advertising, and if ratings fall from there the show's future can then be questioned.

I think they did something different because they always do every so often. They did plenty of stuff when the show was riding high too. I think it's just an inventive production, not a reactive one.

I seriously doubt it's winter figures will be that high again myself, simply because it's old news now in many ways. I also doubt they would have any interest at all in whether The Weakest Link got more actual viewers - it's a different slot as you say and as such, apples and oranges. Plus TWL's share will have been far lower. I bet they didn't even notice.

Interesting you mention the phone competitions because the "drop" in DoND figures you mention is precisely when daytime figures for "interactive" shows fell off across the board. I think that's why ITV's repeat dramas have done better than previous daytime efforts. If that's when this show was filmed then that may be relevant.

When the phone thing broke, people switched off in the daytime across the board. No fault of the daytime interactives shows themselves. They all suffered for a while and some people won't come back at all, I'm sure.

[ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]