Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:39 pm Last visit was: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:39 pm

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

daniel123

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:15 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: 20/02 Dave
Forum Games Moderator

Warnings: 0
h2005 wrote:
TicTac wrote:
The only way his half penny can have any monetary value is if he went on the show again and got his 1p halved again. Winning any other amount is no good because all other amounts are divisible by 2..

Unless he dealt an offer that ended in an odd number of pence. :P

richie4eva1 wrote:
When I turned up the day after today's game was filmed, it did say 49 on the studio stats board so they are counting it as a 1p player

I'm surprised at that because he didn't win nothing or 1p... he won 0.5p, as evidenced by the certificate he got!

Hawker5ive wrote:
I'm a coin collector, and I actually have a UK half-penny from 1982 or whereabouts. I didn't think it was possible for such a thing to exist, let alone be valuable. What could you possibly buy with it? Some of you are a bit older than me, and may have been around when this thing existed, so can you please provide some insight?

Wikipedia provides some interesting info on the ha'penny's history: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halfpenny_ ... al_coin%29

The ha'penny was demonetised before I was born but I do remember you could buy individual sweets that cost 1p or 2p, but I haven't seen any for many years. Aside from plastic bags, you can still sometimes buy things for 5p, normally books (or small items) in charity shops and perhaps sweets in newsagents.

I'm surprised they didn't present Dave with an actual old ha'penny. At least we now know what happens when the 1p gets halved!

Well, yes. My shady experience of Bitcoin leads me to believe 0.5p can, in fact, still exist - just not in physical form any more.

My old coin collection once included a great many ha'pennies, but I've long-since lost what remains of it, sadly. I do have a few 3d coins, however, which seem to have survived the last few years - and the last few wars. Octagonal, I believe! :smt023

There was a chance for Dave to escape winning the ha'penny. It may have masqueraded itself as a poor offer, but it was an offer regardless, and it was called £4,300, and it doesn't exist any more. Can I criticise turning it down? In most cases, no, but with 1p the lower amount, absolutely. Risking £4,300 for a penny, unless you can afford to do so, and most can't, for those people is silly. So goes my view. :suspect:

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

American Coupon Boy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:26 pm    Author: American Coupon Boy    Post subject: Re: 20/02 Dave

A sad blue win today, but at least history was made. :-D Besides, Dave may be able to get a few quid out of that certificate on eBay, something no other blue winners can do nowadays thanks to their winnings being paid in cash.

The next series begins immediately after the premiere of the Deal or No Deal revival.

Archstered

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:34 pm    Author: Archstered    Post subject: Re: 20/02 Dave

American Coupon Boy wrote:
A sad blue win today, but at least history was made. :-D Besides, Dave may be able to get a few quid out of that certificate on eBay, something no other blue winners can do nowadays thanks to their winnings being paid in cash.

Funny thing is, when I was Pilgrim Of The Day first time round last year, you god a VIP tour of the studios and a certificate... and the Half Penny certificate are a cheap, rip off version of that! I'll post a pic onto twitter later on.

daniel123

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:42 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: 20/02 Dave
Forum Games Moderator

Archstered wrote:

Funny thing is, when I was Pilgrim Of The Day first time round last year, you god a VIP tour of the studios and a certificate... and the Half Penny certificate are a cheap, rip off version of that! I'll post a pic onto twitter later on.

Well, of course they are. They've got to be done on the cheap. It probably costs them more in printer ink than they're worth. They're half-penny certificates, not half-million... :smt047 sdgthju

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

Archstered

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:45 pm    Author: Archstered    Post subject: Re: 20/02 Dave

daniel123 wrote:
Archstered wrote:

Well, of course they are. They've got to be done on the cheap. It probably costs them more in printer ink than they're worth. They're half-penny certificates, not half-million... :smt047 sdgthju

I remember I had the WWTBAM board game as a kid, and the £1,000,000 was gold and shiny..

hogwild94

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:48 pm    Author: hogwild94    Post subject: Re: 20/02 Dave
Global Moderator

Archstered wrote:
I remember I had the WWTBAM board game as a kid, and the £1,000,000 was gold and shiny..

I still have the first WWTBAM game! I was looking over it just the other day. Used to play it all the time at the height of the show's success, and we even did our own version of the Major Fraud, complete with coughs! :lol:

Check out SLUDGE for original, non-cover rock music!

Archstered

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:16 pm    Author: Archstered    Post subject: Re: 20/02 Dave

hogwild94 wrote:
Archstered wrote:

I still have the first WWTBAM game! I was looking over it just the other day. Used to play it all the time at the height of the show's success, and we even did our own version of the Major Fraud, complete with coughs! :lol:

Ha! This made me chuckle (and then have a coughing fit)

h2005

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:29 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 20/02 Dave
Administrator & Global Moderator

StatsMan wrote:
Just a pedantic point about today's result: Dave's win would go down as a 0.005p monetarily speaking

Do you mean £0.005? I'd have thought 0.005p would be 1/200 of a penny. :ponder:

daniel123

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:37 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: 20/02 Dave
Forum Games Moderator

h2005 wrote:
StatsMan wrote:
Just a pedantic point about today's result: Dave's win would go down as a 0.005p monetarily speaking

Edited to remove grave mistake regarding 0.005p being 1/1000th of a penny, because, er, it's not, er, I always knew it was 1/200th, er, um, er...nothing to see here... sdgthju

Last edited by daniel123 on Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StatsMan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:37 pm    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: 20/02 Dave

h2005 wrote:
StatsMan wrote:

Yes... Oops, I do indeed mean that! :oops:

Biggest Pilgrim Game Wins:

Marlene - 21 July 2013: £118,000
Gill - 23 March 2014: £75,000
Tony - 24 April 2012: £72,000
Lee - 4 April 2013: £48,000
Tommy & Jen - 26 & 27 Mar 2013 :O - £45,000! :O :O

daniel123

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:38 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: 20/02 Dave
Forum Games Moderator

No, wait! That was 0.001p! I'll go back and edit it so no-one notices my grave mistake... :suspect: :oops: :lol:

h2005

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:02 am    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 20/02 Dave
Administrator & Global Moderator

StatsMan wrote:
h2005 wrote:
StatsMan wrote:

Yes... Oops, I do indeed mean that! :oops:

Funnily enough, I recently stumbled across this exchange between MisterAl and JR from seven years ago, whereby JR suggests that in America, '.98¢' is the same as '$0.98'. To me, .98¢ is the same as 0.98¢ which is 98 hundredths of one cent, and not 98 cents as JR suggests. So it seems an American may interpret '0.5p' differently, although I don't know if the '0' is an important factor. The link that MisterAl supplied goes into more details on this!

daniel123

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:13 am    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: 20/02 Dave
Forum Games Moderator

February 2007 Dan, then aged 12 and 0 months wrote:
welldome dennis! :D
:-D
so we have our first member!!

but those offers were EXTREMEL<Y too high. **** the w-banker, *gets out 12-bore and shoots banker to death* :? :? :? :twisted:

Congratulating Dennis on winning 50p. I bet he was chuffed, Dan. :ponder:

Simon F

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:01 am    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 20/02 Dave

Liking the tangent this thread has gone off on.

£4,300 wasn't a bad offer on that board but I can see why someone might risk it.

daniel123

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:45 am    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: 20/02 Dave
Forum Games Moderator

I was like...I was like ACB, just...much, much worse... :shock: :lol: Hang on...ACB! Are you...trying...to imitate 2006/2007 me? Is that what your game plan's been all about since you joined here? :suspect: Thanks for the attention-to-detail, you've done a rather good job, I must say! :-D

Ahem. Off-topic.

£4,300 I can just about understand, given it was the 1p in play...I've seen worse. By which I mean, Sharon (August 2006) or was it September 2006? Sharon either way, and she turned it down to win the penny, too, although her offer wasn't too far off Dave's, at £4,500.

Ahem. On-topic. :smt047

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:05 am    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject: Re: 20/02 Dave

I'd have offered £8,000 on that final two. Seems like a better offer to me.

Dave also wins the WCOAT Award for his "efforts" today.

I would like to get on the show one day and win negative money. See my signature below for how that would play out, if it ever were to happen.

American Coupon Boy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:31 am    Author: American Coupon Boy    Post subject: Re: 20/02 Dave

Hawker5ive wrote:

On virtually ANY foreign version, that would be bang on or even slightly low for what you could reasonably expect for that finish. Sadly, this Banker is such a tight arse that he wants any player with a board without big money on it to go the end and crash to a blue, not caring about how the abundance of blue wins will influence viewing figures. :smt011 :smt019

The next series begins immediately after the premiere of the Deal or No Deal revival.

daniel123

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:01 am    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: 20/02 Dave
Forum Games Moderator

Hawker5ive wrote:

On virtually ANY foreign version, that would be bang on or even slightly low for what you could reasonably expect for that finish. Sadly, this Banker is such a tight arse that he wants any player with a board without big money on it to go the end and crash to a blue, not caring about how the abundance of blue wins will influence viewing figures. :smt011 :smt019

Of course he doesn't care. They're mad. He's mad, Noel's mad, Glenn Hugill's mad. We're all mad.

sdgthju

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:34 pm    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject: Re: 20/02 Dave

Hawker5ive wrote:

Sometimes, you get it exactly right, old sport. Replace the word "Banker" with "Producers," and you have the real answer. We just had a jackpot win. The producers are reeling, and are doing anything they can to save money. Hence these poor offers and the rampant blue wins.

Deal or No Deal... the only game show on television where you can win a denomination of money that hasn't been in circulation for 30 years. Where is the sense in that?

Methinks someone on their staff is a few sprinkles short of a doughnut, if you know what I mean.

Speaking of "mad," I used to be Mad Mark, but after spending some time in the Kestral Memorial Rehab Ward for Miscreant Forum Members (KMRWMFM), I emerged as a somewhat changed man.

[ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]