Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:09 am Last visit was: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:09 am

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Duffer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:17 am    Author: Duffer    Post subject:

Warnings: 0
daniel4389 wrote:
wakey1512 wrote:
daniel4389 wrote:
wakey1512 wrote:
daniel4389 wrote:
Erm, OK. Give me a mathematical explanation as to why.

No, you tell me why its wrong. Yes, it starts a new leaf, but its LESS likely to contain the same value twice. 1/22, yes it can happen, but its MORE likely to be something else.

Well, that's right - the chances of a box having anything other than the £250k are greater than of it having it. But that's not affected by the previous game, and it's still just as likely to have the £250k as any other amount.

But you cant expect around 4 £250,000 in a row can you? Thats the same thing as ive been talking about.

Doesn't make any difference. Box 1 could have £250,000 for 5 games in a row, and there'd still be a 1 in 22 chance of it having it in the next game.

Both your stats prowess is probably vastly superior to mine (still have no idea how I passed A-Level maths a few years back) but I think the answer depends on whether you are looking at box stats as a sequence or as an individual event.

If, say, Box 7 (for arguments sake) contains the £250000 every day from Monday to Friday then the chances of this happening at the beginning of the week I think are (correct me if I'm wrong) 1/22 x 1/22 x 1/22 x 1/22 x 1/22 = 1/5153632.

So, if you were to boldly predict that Box 7 would contain £250000 every day for 5 days, those would be your odds.

However, Daniel is right to say that, say Box 7 contained the £250000 from Monday to Thursday, the chances of Box 7 containing the £250000 on Friday are no less or no greater than any other day you care to mention. It's still a 1/22 shot and what has happened the previous 4 days has absolutely no influence on this.

The chances of £250000 being in any box 5 days running are incredibly small but, having happened, those odds will have no direct influence on what may or may not be in the box the next day.

Anyway, it's late and I've confused myself now... :?

KP

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:36 am    Author: KP    Post subject:
International Forums Moderator

With the number of episodes we've had now, and the number of different ways of looking at the box values, it's inevitable some spooky coincidences will show up.

Personally, so long as I'm sure that there's no sequences anymore I'm fine.

daniel4389

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:47 am    Author: daniel4389    Post subject:

Duffer wrote:
However, Daniel is right to say that, say Box 7 contained the £250000 from Monday to Thursday, the chances of Box 7 containing the £250000 on Friday are no less or no greater than any other day you care to mention. It's still a 1/22 shot and what has happened the previous 4 days has absolutely no influence on this.

The chances of £250000 being in any box 5 days running are incredibly small but, having happened, those odds will have no direct influence on what may or may not be in the box the next day.

Exactly! So thinking "Box X had £250k yesterday so it must have a low blue today" doesn't make any sense.

wakey1512

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:11 pm    Author: wakey1512    Post subject:

Duffer wrote:
daniel4389 wrote:
wakey1512 wrote:
daniel4389 wrote:
wakey1512 wrote:
daniel4389 wrote:
Erm, OK. Give me a mathematical explanation as to why.

No, you tell me why its wrong. Yes, it starts a new leaf, but its LESS likely to contain the same value twice. 1/22, yes it can happen, but its MORE likely to be something else.

Well, that's right - the chances of a box having anything other than the £250k are greater than of it having it. But that's not affected by the previous game, and it's still just as likely to have the £250k as any other amount.

But you cant expect around 4 £250,000 in a row can you? Thats the same thing as ive been talking about.

Doesn't make any difference. Box 1 could have £250,000 for 5 games in a row, and there'd still be a 1 in 22 chance of it having it in the next game.

Both your stats prowess is probably vastly superior to mine (still have no idea how I passed A-Level maths a few years back) but I think the answer depends on whether you are looking at box stats as a sequence or as an individual event.

If, say, Box 7 (for arguments sake) contains the £250000 every day from Monday to Friday then the chances of this happening at the beginning of the week I think are (correct me if I'm wrong) 1/22 x 1/22 x 1/22 x 1/22 x 1/22 = 1/5153632.

So, if you were to boldly predict that Box 7 would contain £250000 every day for 5 days, those would be your odds.

Anyway, it's late and I've confused myself now... :?

But the odds are increasing every time 7 has the £250,000.

My dislike club: The number 3

[ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]