Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:02 pm Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:02 pm

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

hogwild94

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 4:55 pm    Author: hogwild94    Post subject: Re: 09/05 Katie - Deal in Space Banker's Birthday Special
Global Moderator

Warnings: 0
It's all to easy to see what the Banker was up to there; but he's good at mind games, and trying to second guess him will just leave you even more confused.

The run of Katies always losing to the Banker continues! :shock: :(

Check out SLUDGE for original, non-cover rock music!

American Coupon Boy

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 4:56 pm    Author: American Coupon Boy    Post subject: Re: 09/05 Katie - Deal in Space Banker's Birthday Special

Another sensible Deal unfairly punished. :roll: Will a Katie ever beat the Banker?

The next series begins immediately after the premiere of the Deal or No Deal revival.

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 4:59 pm    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject: Re: 09/05 Katie - Deal in Space Banker's Birthday Special

A sensible deal. Who cares what's in the box? You go when you want to, and £15,000 is good money. Only Team Hindsight would say otherwise, and they lack brains.

Congrats to Katie, and enjoy the money :smt023.

psychokiller

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:12 pm    Author: psychokiller    Post subject: Re: 09/05 Katie - Deal in Space Banker's Birthday Special

Looks like American Coupon Boy is an amalgamation of Mark and BankerSpanker.

''Oh, the devil will find work for idle hands to do''

Saperogo

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:19 pm    Author: Saperogo    Post subject: Re: 09/05 Katie - Deal in Space Banker's Birthday Special

psychokiller wrote:

''Oh, the devil will find work for idle hands to do''

Plus a little bit of Mad Mark thrown in, for good measure. Where's Mad Mark gone, anyway...? ;-)

American Coupon Boy

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:21 pm    Author: American Coupon Boy    Post subject: Re: 09/05 Katie - Deal in Space Banker's Birthday Special

psychokiller wrote:

I definitely agree with that statement, though I also have an aggressive statistician part of me.

Saperogo wrote:
Plus a little bit of Mad Mark thrown in, for good measure. Where's Mad Mark gone, anyway...? ;-)

I absolutely disagree with that statement. I do not play with even an ounce of hindsight, and I solely base my criticisms on the board at the time the player dealt.

The next series begins immediately after the premiere of the Deal or No Deal revival.

Saperogo

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:48 pm    Author: Saperogo    Post subject: Re: 09/05 Katie - Deal in Space Banker's Birthday Special

American Coupon Boy wrote:
Saperogo wrote:

I absolutely disagree with that statement. I do not play with even an ounce of hindsight, and I solely base my criticisms on the board at the time the player dealt.

I wasn't saying that you play with hindsight, just that you find games where players win big as horrible (at least, initially) if they happen to have a lot more in their box.

I'm not trying to offend here, though.

Saperogo

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:57 pm    Author: Saperogo    Post subject: Re: 09/05 Katie - Deal in Space Banker's Birthday Special

For a post about the game itself:

It's interesting how in four games we've had four entirely different games: A 4-box deal after a successful UFO. An 8-box deal with no twist. A player forced all the way to the end by a bad luck game. A bad twist but the banker makes a generous offer after looking inside the box.

I don't think you can get a read on the banker when he makes his claims on what's inside the box. There was some game where he claimed he saw the £250,000 and actually had a hypothetical final offer of £120,000 even though there was a blue inside. It's better for him to be inconsistent with his truths and lies, actually; the game would be too easy otherwise.

The middle offers were horrid but probably served to prevent a pre-twist deal. And, of course, after the twist, we get a generous offer out of nowhere. It's a shame she had £35,000, but she probably never was going to go for it, anyway.

BankerSpanker

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:01 pm    Author: BankerSpanker    Post subject: Re: 09/05 Katie - Deal in Space Banker's Birthday Special

No one would take the BG with £50 there. If there was a £1,000 backup then it MIGHT be worth the risk.

Fan of classic rock and metal

MsM

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:10 pm    Author: MsM    Post subject: Re: 09/05 Katie - Deal in Space Banker's Birthday Special

BankerSpanker wrote:
No one would take the BG with £50 there. If there was a £1,000 backup then it MIGHT be worth the risk.

Not even Mark?

Simon F

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:24 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 09/05 Katie - Deal in Space Banker's Birthday Special

So the twist isn't that easy under pressure. I've always had the philosophy of not trying to work out the Banker's mind games and just making decisions on the offer based on the board so would have done exactly what Katie did today.

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:31 pm    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject: Re: 09/05 Katie - Deal in Space Banker's Birthday Special

Mark wrote:
She hasn't got it on the table as the Banker would NOT be offering the gamble.

Quote:
Should have believed the Banker... though there was no way she would have risked on the gamble to win it.

If you didn't believe the Banker Mark why should Katie have done so?

Always impossible to double guess the Banker when he's looked inside the box. On this occassion he was telling the truth but Katie was right not to get suckered into his mind games. And £15k is a good result in itself

Brick

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:26 am    Author: Brick    Post subject: Re: 09/05 Katie - Deal in Space Banker's Birthday Special

Similar 5-box board to Joan Collins, same offer, and same amount in the box at the end! :shock:

Away from all the mind games, £15k was generous for that 5-box and would have been generous as a 2-box offer.

sonicrules

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:06 am    Author: sonicrules    Post subject: Re: 09/05 Katie - Deal in Space Banker's Birthday Special

Very interesting game today, I'm from near Wakefield myself, the way Katie pronounced her Os, with a W sound right at the end said to me she's from east of Wakefield, not a thick accent but there just enough if you know what to look for. Very genuine and a lovely person I warmed to her easily, very beautiful and very down to earth and sensible, the way the vast majority of people from the area are to be honest.

Hard to second guess the Banker in the mind games he played, I always find it fascinating when he gets to look in the box, feel free to call me a bit perverse, it's different people's reactions and what the Banker says that keeps me interested in that scenario, I'd have dealt too. Without working out the average, and whether it's half, a quarter, or different, which is something I usually do, I could see that 15k was a very generous offer, I'd have put my house on her dealing that, I'd have done the same, clever from the Banker at the end, gotta give the Devil his due, he knew she'd never take the gamble and so would lose out, another mind game win from the Banker, one final chance to win the big one, that he knew based on what she'd said she would talk herself out of.

Really enjoyable game, am loving the set and the special themed games, great work by all the crew I must say! Well done Katie, she did great to get such a good result out of a game that had started to go downhill at quite a pace! I'm a twin too, I wanted to hug her when she said about never been popular based on herself!

Please excuse the triple post, it took well over a minute to post the text and I had some internet problems with my connection dropping, hopefully I can delete the duplicates myself!

Rich: I'm not really sure what's going on, but could you give me a clear signal when you've won us some booze! lmao

Fave contestants: Joey and Siobhan (tied), Charly

Rossano, Wrighty and Morris

Last edited by sonicrules on Fri May 10, 2013 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

sonicrules

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:06 am    Author: sonicrules    Post subject: Re: 09/05 Katie - Deal in Space Banker's Birthday Special

Very interesting game today, I'm from near Wakefield myself, the way Katie pronounced her Os, with a W sound right at the end said to me she's from east of Wakefield, not a thick accent but there just enough if you know what to look for. Very genuine and a lovely person I warmed to her easily, very beautiful and very down to earth and sensible, the way the vast majority of people from the area are to be honest.

Hard to second guess the Banker in the mind games he played, I always find it fascinating when he gets to look in the box, feel free to call me a bit perverse, it's different people's reactions and what the Banker says that keeps me interested in that scenario, I'd have dealt too. Without working out the average, and whether it's half, a quarter, or different, which is something I usually do, I could see that 15k was a very generous offer, I'd have put my house on her dealing that, I'd have done the same, clever from the Banker at the end, gotta give the Devil his due, he knew she'd never take the gamble and so would lose out, another mind game win from the Banker, one final chance to win the big one, that he knew based on what she'd said she would talk herself out of.

Really enjoyable game, am loving the set and the special themed games, great work by all the crew I must say! Well done Katie, she did great to get such a good result out of a game that had started to go downhill at quite a pace! I'm a twin too, I wanted to hug her when she said about never been popular based on herself!

Rich: I'm not really sure what's going on, but could you give me a clear signal when you've won us some booze! lmao

sonicrules

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:07 am    Author: sonicrules    Post subject: Re: 09/05 Katie - Deal in Space Banker's Birthday Special

Skyline

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:30 pm    Author: Skyline    Post subject: Re: 09/05 Katie - Deal in Space Banker's Birthday Special
Forum Games Moderator

Katie CHIPCHASE! :D

psychokiller

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:11 pm    Author: psychokiller    Post subject: Re: 09/05 Katie - Deal in Space Banker's Birthday Special

Skyline wrote:
Katie CHIPCHASE! :D

You alright there, mate?

norwichdonder

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:32 pm    Author: norwichdonder    Post subject: Re: 09/05 Katie - Deal in Space Banker's Birthday Special

sonicrules wrote:

Not perverse at all! In fact, would an offer of £15k been made if the banker *hadn't* looked in the box?? The incredulity on here suggests not. I've often advocated that players should be allowed to offer the opportunity for the banker to look in their box. In many games it would work well to the players advantage....

Lets consider they have £250k in their box - or - they are able to dodge it until 2 box. In the first scenario, the banker may be tempted to offer considerably more than in a regular game (as we saw in this game). Otherwise a deal wouldn't be any more or less likely than a standard game. In the second scenario, if the banker looked in the box and gave a peanuts offer, they would be more likely to swap in the £250k at 2 box, if in live play.

I think the key point with the banker looking in the box is that someone else other than the IA knows the value in the players box. That information, makes a definite change to the offers. Many on here dislike the mindgames -that's their perogative - but I think on balance, any additional changes to the knowledge of box contents can help the player. Comments?

KP

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:04 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 09/05 Katie - Deal in Space Banker's Birthday Special
International Forums Moderator

Joan Collins got £15k on this board and hit the 10% of keeping both big reds - post-Deal. (Or was it £50k she had with the £75k? Forget now.)

Amusingly there is a proposed mathematical proof (although I don't pretend to understand it myself!) that states that the best strategy when the Banker knows the box value is to play like he doesn't...

Certainly a Deal naively. With the informative offer condition, you could say that he's hinting at a Power 5 on the table, but if the Banker expects the player to trust him, he'll make that offer after seeing a blue, confident that they'll reject it and win said blue (and likely have worse regrets than they would otherwise, reducing the threshold of at least the next player in the chair and probably the next four or five).

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

[ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]