Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:23 am Last visit was: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:23 am

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Simon F

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:15 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 06/01 Lorraine

Warnings: 0
Tough call this. 40% chance of the offer possibly trebling against 60% chance of £1k at most.

Probably a reluctant deal for me here.

h2005

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:16 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 06/01 Lorraine
Administrator & Global Moderator

Lorraine's husband joins her at the pound table. She talks about the health issues he had recently and how he was given a 20% chance to survive with a 10-week stay in hospital. He says he can tell Lorraine's suffering over this decision, so he wants her to deal.`

Lorraine says

DEAL

Profile E-mail  

KP

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:17 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 06/01 Lorraine
International Forums Moderator

On a one-box game, "if in doubt, get out" makes a lot of sense. I'd go on, but not by much, and mainly in the hope of a big 2-box offer.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Mark

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:18 pm    Author: Mark    Post subject: Re: 06/01 Lorraine

I think we all know that Tony wants the Bankers Gamble to happen...

h2005

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:18 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 06/01 Lorraine

Round 6 - proveout

16 - Paulina - £500

22 - Trev - £1,000

14 - Kate - £10

Banker time with £5 and £75,000 remaining...

Profile E-mail  

elementalpat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:18 pm    Author: elementalpat    Post subject: Re: 06/01 Lorraine

Oh... another Banker Gamble time?

Is this what the tweet refered to?

Profile E-mail  

h2005

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:19 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 06/01 Lorraine

The banker laughs wildly down the phone!

Banker's offer would've been:

£23,000 + a lollipop

Profile E-mail  

KP

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:19 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 06/01 Lorraine

Mark wrote:
I think we all know that Tony wants the Bankers Gamble to happen...

Well, it'd be staggeringly generous, so he'd be right to. Normal play would draw something in the low twenties here... and normal play is what we get.

In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

h2005

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:20 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 06/01 Lorraine

Noel opens Lorraine's box 20 and reveals £5

Profile E-mail  

Simon F

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:20 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 06/01 Lorraine

No need to pile on the guilt with an inflated proveout offer there. Mid teens would have been bad enough.

h2005

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:20 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 06/01 Lorraine

Box 11 with Gary contains the £75,000

Noel says he's feeling drained after this one!

Profile E-mail  

hogwild94

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:20 pm    Author: hogwild94    Post subject: Re: 06/01 Lorraine
Global Moderator

Well, good thing she didn't go with that 'feeling'. And unlucky that she missed the £75,000 in the final round.

Check out SLUDGE for original, non-cover rock music!

Profile E-mail  

KP

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:22 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 06/01 Lorraine

Simon F wrote:
No need to pile on the guilt with an inflated proveout offer there. Mid teens would have been bad enough.

I'd have expected £20k or £21k, so it's inflated by something like 10% (although an indecisive player may have got sub-£20k, and we might have got more as our statistical reputation would make it hard for the Banker to offer a low percentage of the mean).

daniel123

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:20 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: 06/01 Lorraine
Forum Games Moderator

I concur...I certainly wouldn’t be happy with anything sub-£17 or £18,000 there.

I know such offers have been made in the past but still, I think anything roughly 40-45% of the mean and below...is pushing the boundaries of acceptability.

Can’t blame Lorraine for dealing when she did. Wouldn’t blame most people in fact; £6,000 is a decent haul, regardless of the consequences of the deal. I can’t say it was the wrong decision, despite evidence pointing to that.

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum...have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

Profile E-mail  

Brick

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:54 pm    Author: Brick    Post subject: Re: 06/01 Lorraine

Well with CITV showing old episodes of Finders Keepers and Fun House today and yesterday, DOND was always going to struggle to be my favourite game show moment of the weekend.

It was a frustrating one, with Lorraine losing either a big number or significant backup in every round, getting into a bit of a state about whether or not she had a big number in a box, ultimately deciding against it and dealing - only to miss the last big number in proveout. I suppose it would have taken a lot to turn down £6k on that board (and Lorraine did the right thing for herself in dealing, I think), but £23k with only £5 there seemed a bit inflated. Even so, it would have been a lot higher than £6k and at least the fiver in the box threw it all back at the banker anyway.

[ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]