Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:59 pm Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:59 pm

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

James1978

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:20 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 08/03 Damien

Warnings: 0
h2005 wrote:
Damien was a very nice bloke who had an admirable attitude, and it was a shame his game blew itself apart like it did.

It was amazing how well he took it really - there have been plenty of players who have been in far better positions (such as dealing and finding out they could've had more) and they've not taken it well at all.

I was amazed how well David took going from a £62k offer to a £2k deal in December to be honest - I'd have probably puked up on set! :)

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

KP

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:37 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 08/03 Damien
International Forums Moderator

At least the big gamblers whose games fall apart are usually able to hold it together on set - Endemol are very lucky, both in that regard, and in the fact that the people who deal too soon often take it worse thus allowing them to encourage more gambling as they clearly want to do!!!

I wouldn't have made the same decision he did - but it wasn't egregious enough for me to cheer what happened (would have screamed my head off with joy if Rich had a similar crash though!). If anything I'd criticise him for personalising the decision and then playing on anyway - once he expressed that doubt, he reduced the prospects of getting the near-mean 5-box offer which actually would have been quite easy to justify chasing.

Suffice to say, this is why many players are targetists!

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

holly

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:51 pm    Author: holly    Post subject: Re: 08/03 Damien

Well, if you ask me, I think that was a little bit too greedy. If he knew that £40,000 would change his life forever and that his luck wasn't gonna last forever then why didn't he have the sense to take it? I know he said he "felt" it was his day but you gotta play the board as well as your feelings!

Still, I admire him for turning down the money that he did, especially given his personal situation.

Brown Sauce

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:09 pm    Author: Brown Sauce    Post subject: Re: 08/03 Damien

I refer you to my comments on yesterday's game...
..to walk away from 40k is just mad :roll:

Funny how often chance goes from one extreme straight to the opposite - seen it loads of times, a great round followed by the worst one. After an all blue round people are lulled into a false sense of security that their luck is in, but you're more likely to even things out with a terrible one. I believe good and bad luck cancel out in the long run and short run... everything in life balances out :-D

Simon F

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:29 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 08/03 Damien

James1978 wrote:
h2005 wrote:
Damien was a very nice bloke who had an admirable attitude, and it was a shame his game blew itself apart like it did.

It was amazing how well he took it really - there have been plenty of players who have been in far better positions (such as dealing and finding out they could've had more) and they've not taken it well at all.

I was amazed how well David took going from a £62k offer to a £2k deal in December to be honest - I'd have probably puked up on set! :)

David's was a 10% shot - 5.6 times more likely to happen than what happened today.

Really unlucky to take out all 3. It could be argued that when you get an offer that generous and with an over 70% chance of keeping at least 2 of the top 3 in play to 5-box, there's an argument for going on there (although at £40k, it goes past my tipping point of when the money is just too much too gamble unless the board is really stable). Perhaps if the £20k were the £35k, I might have considered the gamble.

elementalpat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:07 pm    Author: elementalpat    Post subject: Re: 08/03 Damien

I hope this mega collapse does not spark a succession of cautious play... bound to happen though methinks.

Simon F

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:30 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 08/03 Damien

elementalpat wrote:
I hope this mega collapse does not spark a succession of cautious play... bound to happen though methinks.

If you start playing the game just because low probabilty things might happen - either way you are heading for trouble. Either being too cautious (which is understandable after today as it's hard not to enter the mindset that your game is a completely different entity to the one the day before) or taking silly risks (because you think "well it worked out OK yesterday, so I might as well go for it).

Not sure how tomorrow's game would have been influenced had we had the massive OPW that the 8-box deal would have produced.

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:40 am    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject: Re: 08/03 Damien

Oh dear oh dear oh dear Should have been a lot less brave. Should have listened to Kirsty and dealt the £40,000 then it would have been the biggest Banker spanking in some time (especially if they'd kept the hyposwap)

What was that you were saying yesterdat Mark? Always worth going on with the top 3 in play?

In all seriousness as much as I thought Damien was foolish to turn down that 4th offer I wouldn't have wished that next round on anybody To take out all three in the same round was horrendous and the game just went into freefall after that. Just goes to show how quickly the luck can turn

BrianR

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:24 am    Author: BrianR    Post subject: Re: 08/03 Damien

After a nightmare game such as this, there's sometimes a pattern of the subsequent player's accepting the lower offers and playing safe, rather than risk a similar outcome. With an 11 or 8 box with the the three biggest amounts isolated as they where in this game, will look much more vulnerable now.

Its been ages since I remember seeing it, but does anyone else remember the occasions where after a popular player has a horror game (such as this one) and walks away with a blue, during the following game the banker offers the new player (for example) say £15,000 & an added £5000 to give to the player that had the blue the day before.

Must be a at least a good 3 years since I'd seen this done.

James1978

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:15 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 08/03 Damien

BrianR wrote:
After a nightmare game such as this, there's sometimes a pattern of the subsequent player's accepting the lower offers and playing safe, rather than risk a similar outcome. With an 11 or 8 box with the the three biggest amounts isolated as they where in this game, will look much more vulnerable now.

Its been ages since I remember seeing it, but does anyone else remember the occasions where after a popular player has a horror game (such as this one) and walks away with a blue, during the following game the banker offers the new player (for example) say £15,000 & an added £5000 to give to the player that had the blue the day before.

Must be a at least a good 3 years since I'd seen this done.

I remember they did it for Wine Richard who played the day after Andrew who was hard of sight, cripes that's 5 years ago now!!!

Can;t remember who else they've done it for but I'm sure there have been more.

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

h2005

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:27 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 08/03 Damien
Administrator & Global Moderator

James1978 wrote:
I remember they did it for Wine Richard who played the day after Andrew who was hard of sight, cripes that's 5 years ago now!!!

Can;t remember who else they've done it for but I'm sure there have been more.

I'm certain it's happened since then, but I can't remember when... I think it was about 2 years ago, but it's definitely happened. I'm going to have to try and search for it now, as it's bugging me!

Brick

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:27 pm    Author: Brick    Post subject: Re: 08/03 Damien

During last year's Love Week, Patricia had a holiday for Vicki - who'd won 1p the day before - added to one of her offers.

Not sure if we've had another example since then.

h2005

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:32 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 08/03 Damien

Brick wrote:
During last year's Love Week, Patricia had a holiday for Vicki - who'd won 1p the day before - added to one of her offers.

Not sure if we've had another example since then.

Yep, I just found that example while searching. I also found this one - Terry (Nov 2009): viewtopic.php?p=633031#p633031

I think Wine Richard, Terry, and (sort of) Patricia's games are the only examples of this happening.

James1978

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:32 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 08/03 Damien

I think Diane who played the day after Steve who wanted IVF got it as well (June 08).

h2005

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:38 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: 08/03 Damien

James1978 wrote:
I think Diane who played the day after Steve who wanted IVF got it as well (June 08).

Yes, you're right, well remembered - http://www.dond.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.p ... 69#p428669

hogwild94

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:43 pm    Author: hogwild94    Post subject: Re: 08/03 Damien
Global Moderator

I also believe Leigh from May 2009 was offered money for the player from the previous game.

Check out SLUDGE for original, non-cover rock music!

BrianR

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:02 pm    Author: BrianR    Post subject: Re: 08/03 Damien

Perhaps the banker has "mellowed" with old(er) age and is not as evil as he use to be :)

Stevo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:47 pm    Author: Stevo    Post subject: Re: 08/03 Damien

Can anyone tell me the 4 players who have done the nightmare round before - I can't remember!

hogwild94

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:53 pm    Author: hogwild94    Post subject: Re: 08/03 Damien
Global Moderator

Stevo wrote:
Can anyone tell me the 4 players who have done the nightmare round before - I can't remember!

Stuart (Sep '07), Mini (Jul '10), Ron (May '11) and David (Dec '11).

Check out SLUDGE for original, non-cover rock music!

[ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]